Fake Quotes / Fake News

Phil

FFS with the addressing by name, gave me a fright. The fact it's my actual name makes it worse.

wolvored

I've quoted or put possible transfers from newspapers which they have reported on here a number of times, but not made them up. If you look at all the players we are linked with 90% must be made up. They are exactly the same as the scammer.

Denis79

In this day and age we really must be extra vigilant when copying and pasting anything from twitter. I find it's best to automatically assume that anything written by unverified accounts is fake. Tbh I'm not sure why twitter is used as the main source for news. There are plenty of reputable news sites out there. The BBC being the most obvious.
I never take any social media seriously, people pushing agendas, hacked accounts or just plain out lies at times. I like the BBC for news, I'm not English but I read the site daily.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
How about we have a whitelist of twitter accounts related to United stuff from which stuff can be posted here and the rest is a no go. There is too much stuff on twitter that just pure speculation or straight up made up shit like this.
I think that's a good idea. If I saw those tweets, I'd think they were genuine, as a lot of people here did. You'd only know they weren't real quotes if you watched MUTV and saw Jose say something different. It's harsh to put all the blame on the person posting them IMO. Stuff like this isn't as black and white as perhaps posting something from someone pretending to be a particular journalist, for example.

Having a list of journalists and twitter sources that are accepted rather than just ones that are banned would be a good way to reduce the BS.

GBBQ

It's harsh to put all the blame on the person posting them IMO..
Why? I don't think was any kind of elaborate hoax, some guy with a hooded figure as his profile pic who has 574 followers who said something that sounded a bit off in the first place should never be considered as a reliable source. Just added to an already toxic feeling in the forum so don;t know why they shouldn't be blamed.

Kidders

I get the point, I do check Redcafe for a lot of information and opinion about United but I have'nt knowingly retweeted a misleading/fake post, although I can see how easily it would be to do so, the problem as already mentioned is that we are passionate about our club and it's easy to over-react to certain fake news, it's actually easy to overreact to genuine news !
I would hate to see the Cafe become totally 'sterile' sometimes the wind-ups and banter are hilarious, and I would'nt want it any other way.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Why? I don't think was any kind of elaborate hoax, some guy with a hooded figure as his profile pic who has 574 followers who said something that sounded a bit off in the first place should never be considered as a reliable source. Just added to an already toxic feeling in the forum so don;t know why they shouldn't be blamed.
I agree. It only took me about 10 seconds to work out it was fake - he had a pinned tweet from a few days before with another Jose quote basically admitting he made it up. Add another 10 seconds to check the Pereira quote was the same as the things he'd been posting over the past few days. Also the strange picture.

It's only a good thing to bring attention to it and for us all to be more careful.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
I'd actually forgotten how ridiculous my username on here was until I saw that notification, so thanks for that.

But people get kicks out of some weird shit out there. I'd understand it if we spanked them, but what a weird thing to do when you've won.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Damn. That notification with the account name at the top literally gave me a heart attack, thought I was getting banned or something. :lol:

Cheers.
I thought I was being accused of posting the fake tweets. :lol:

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
No, it wasn't but half of the players are still reserve team players so it's obvious they're not going to be in the squad.
Oh. Well, it speaks volumes that among lots of made up quotes, the worst of the bunch is something that actually came from Mourinho. In a way, you literally couldn’t make this up!

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Oh. Well, it speaks volumes that among lots of made up quotes, the worst of the bunch is something that actually came from Mourinho. In a way, you literally couldn’t make this up!
Except if you have even an ounce of intelligence you would know that half the players won't be with the first team squad come August 10th, so it's not bad in the slightest.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Except if you have even an ounce of intelligence you would know that half the players won't be with the first team squad come August 10th, so it's not bad in the slightest.
Oh wow, look at this guy, flaunting his ounces of intelligence by resorting to ad hominems at the first sign disagreement. That’s me set straight mate, well done!

Schmiznurf

Oh wow, look at this guy, flaunting his ounces of intelligence by resorting to ad hominems at the first sign disagreement. That’s me set straight mate, well done!
It's not disagreement, it's understanding what Jose was saying, there's no different ways to interpret it, it's clear what he said and why he said it.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
It's not disagreement, it's understanding what Jose was saying, there's no different ways to interpret it, it's clear what he said and why he said it.
If you actually want to discuss the content and implications of those quotes, instead of just throwing out insults to anyone who disagrees with you, you’re welcome to go through a relevant thread and share your opinions there. I even did you the favour of linking straight to the page of the thread where the relevant discussions begin, so have at it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I read the warning as Kirkduyt over the past few weeks you've made some comments on Twitter. We are in the process of tracking you down. If we find you, we will fecking kill you. Be warned.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
Damn. That notification with the account name at the top literally gave me a heart attack, thought I was getting banned or something. :lol:

Cheers.
Almost got me too but then I figured that if the mods wanted to read me the riot act they'd probably do it by PM so I guesses it wasn't about an inevitable banning.:D

Janson

Wow, this is what people got angry about? I thought, who knows what they said but this is nothing.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
The tweets have been verified as fake. From that point on you need to either ignore it all, or assume that everything else is false too.

Buying in a little deeper and adding that he's a United 'Fan' is irrelevant and pointless at this point.
I think he’s getting at the fact that a United fan making up shite like that to rile his fellow supporters is a next-level of sad. Proper odd ball.

ColvaleGoa

Thanks @Damien . I was one of the gullible ones. Maybe posted a vitriolic reply about Andreas Perriera and Mourinho,based on the tweet. Those tweets seemed so real at that time especially after losing to Liverpool!

Lord Megadrive

Flautist in training
Between the Motorola 68000 and Yamaha YM2612
Cheers for the banner @Damien it freaked me out :lol:

The main problem is that everyone wants to be a “celebrity” so they post shite or reword stuff to suit an agenda. It is worse for united than most clubs in the premier league because, just mentioning us will mean more clicks/retweet’s than you would get for mentioning even clubs like Liverpool and Arsenal. I tend to to not take much notice of the twitter world when it comes to united news because of this. Still can’t be as bad the United Facebook page though...

Brightonian

Also can we stop referring to the journalists for so-called respectable outlets who quote this stuff or misquote and rehash Mourinho's interviews to sensationalise them as 'lazy'? It's not lazy, it's calculated. They're no longer under pressure to produce good, authentic reporting; they're under pressure to generate clicks at the expense of all else. They know exactly what they're doing, but they either don't care or can't afford to.

The total collapse of accountability and veracity in the media generally is not 'sloppiness', its shameless complicity.

Schmiznurf

Also can we stop referring to the journalists for so-called respectable outlets who quote this stuff or misquote and rehash Mourinho's interviews to sensationalise them as 'lazy'? It's not lazy, it's calculated. They're no longer under pressure to produce good, authentic reporting; they're under pressure to generate clicks at the expense of all else. They know exactly what they're doing, but they either don't care or can't afford to.

The total collapse of accountability and veracity in the media generally is not 'sloppiness', its shameless complicity.
I like to call them gutter rats.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

Cheers.
This. Thought i was in trouble for posting tweets and i dont even know how to.:lol: