Famous film roles rejected by actors

032Devil

Just read an article about Sean Bean who played the role of Richard Sharpe in the TV series "Sharpe".

He was not the original actor chosen for the part of the dashing soldier. Apparently, it was Paul McGann (who also played Dr Who). But, two days into filming of the first episode, McGann injured his knee playing football and was forced to withdraw. By the time production was ready to start again, Sean Bean became available and took on the role and the rest as they say, is history.

I also remember reading that Patrick McGoohan (The Prisoner), rejected the chance to become James Bond not once but twice. He didn't like to kiss on screen and legend has it that he recommended Sean Connery to Cubby Brocalli(?) and then he was approached again and he recommended Roger Moore.

Others?

Lance Uppercut

I believe Tom Selleck rejected Indiana Jones. Or perhaps they rejected him. Anyone?

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I believe Tom Selleck rejected Indiana Jones. Or perhaps they rejected him. Anyone?
Selleck was unable to do it because of his contract for Magnum. Gil Gerard was going to be Han Solo as well.

Lance Uppercut

Mickey Rourke and Stallone both rejected Axel Foley in Beverly Hills Cop.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Venkman was originally written for Belushi....Winston was also written for Eddie Murphy but he was tied up with BHC so it was changed and the part diminished. John Candy was going to play Rick Moranis' character too...It was basically originally just a movie for the Saturday Night Live cast.

sammymc

sean connery turned down role of Gandalf cause he "didnt understand it"

thoguh I dont know if I believe that...how can you not understand LOTR and yet understand Zardoz

Mockney

sean connery turned down role of Gandalf cause he "didnt understand it"
...and presumably, couldn't do it in Sshcotishh

Jodie Foster and Michelle Pfeiffer were originally cast as Thelma and Louise...but both dropped out

Mockney

Not a rejection, but surely the best one...

O. J. Simpson was on the shortlist to play the Terminator... but Cameron didn't think the audience would buy that "such a nice guy could be a ruthless killer."

:nervous:

Ivor Ballokov

Venkman was originally written for Belushi....Winston was also written for Eddie Murphy but he was tied up with BHC so it was changed and the part diminished. John Candy was going to play Rick Moranis' character too...It was basically originally just a movie for the Saturday Night Live cast.
Yeah it was apparently quite a long, dramatically changing process making ghostbusters, I don't think Ramis wanted to be in it either meaning Ackroyd was the only person who was first choice. Belushi could have worked, don't know if he would have been as good as Bill Murray who nailed it like he does most roles. Don't think anyone could play the Louis role quite like Moranis.

Mockney

...And whether you'd of been able to have Murray and Murphy in the same film too...Bill was the star of that, if Eddie had been free to do it, he would've taken up a shit load of screen time away from him. Would've been a whole different film.

Ivor Ballokov

Whole shitter film. Murphy at his best was always an overactor and screen hog, Bill Murray can be much more subtle which when you're making a film about ghosts is a great asset to have.

But then I may be a little bit bias I love the guy so much I think he should have won an Oscar for Space Jam

Mockney

I love Murphy at his best (which was an increasingly long time ago now) but I don't think he would've worked in Ghostbusters. He'd of had to have been the star. I'd like to see the original script and how much his role was changed...But it's better he wasn't in it really, even if the Winstone character was basically junked completely in the first film.

Tom Cruise was signed to play Donnie Brasco

Travolta turned down Forest Gimp

Brophs

The One and Only
Daniel Day-Lewis has a few of these:

He turned down Ralph Fiennes' role in the English Patient.
He was cast in Tom Cruise's role in Interview With A Vampire, but turned it down after read throughs.
He was offered the role of Aaragon in LOTR a number of times.
He and Julia Roberts were cast in Shakespeare in Love but both dropped out weeks before shooting was scheduled to begin.

Ivor Ballokov

Pogue Mahone, Brwned, Lee Dixon and CLK_FPC were al oiginally offerred the role of Pundit #2 on Sky News before they offered it to Mockney ;)

Brophs

The One and Only

Sacked after 3 days or sommat cos he looked like a girl.
I thought it was because he was too young?

Either way, he dodged a bullet. Shit film, and look at him now. His career's gone from strength to strength, and his personal life seems in good shape. It's a good time to be....er.....that bloke.

Mockney

Well I dunno why...but I would've sacked him for looking like a girl. But yes his career's definitely gone from strength to strength ....sorry who is he?

Brophs

The One and Only
Well I dunno why...but I would've sacked him for looking like a girl. But yes his career's definitely gone from strength to strength though...but who is he?
Yeah, me too, in fairness. And then I would have punched him with my fists and that.

I think he used to do the housework around Charlize Theron's.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Cary Grant turned down the chance to be the original 007.

Steve McQueen turned down Martin Sheen's role in Apocalypse Now.

Calista Flockhart turned down the role of Clubber Lang in Rocky 3.

B Cantona

Desperate
They wanted Michael J Fox for Back to the Future, but he couldn't because he was working on Family Ties. So they went with Eric Stoltz instead. He shot for 4 weeks until they decided he wasn't right, and eventually managed to negotiate Fox

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
Roy Keane has five kids, partly because of his Iri
Jack Nicholson's first big acting break was playing hard-drinking lawyer George Hanson in Easy Rider, for which he received his first Oscar nomination.

The role had in fact been written for actor Rip Torn, who was a close friend of screen writer Terry Southern, but Torn withdrew from the project after a bitter argument with the film's director Dennis Hopper, during which the two men almost came to blows.

Mockney

RocK3T said:
David Schwimmer turned down the role of Agent J in, 'Men In Black'. The role was then offered to Will Smith who took it. I couldn't imagine Ross from 'Friends' in 'Men In Black'.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Al Pacino, Steve McQueen, Jack Nicholson, Robert Redford and James Caan were all offered the role of 'Willard' in Apocolypse Now. The role went to Martin Sheen who Coppola remembered from his audition for 'Michael' in the Godfather (the role that went to Pacino).

Incidentally, Coppola wanted George Lucas to direct the movie but he was tied up.

Another peice of trivia, Laurence Fishburne was only 14 playing a 17 year old. He lied about his age.

The horror.

The horror

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Stuart Townsend was also cast as Fandral in the upcoming big-budget Brannagh directed Thor movie, but has been replaced due to creative differences. Now he doesn't even have Theron to comfort him over his shitness.

hungrywing

Stuart Townsend was also cast as Fandral in the upcoming big-budget Brannagh directed Thor movie, but has been replaced due to creative differences. Now he doesn't even have Theron to comfort him over his shitness.
Actually, if he never gets a decent role again, it might start looking like he only got offers because of her clout.

Van-Damme got replaced as the Predator in Predator.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Al Pacino, Steve McQueen, Jack Nicholson, Robert Redford and James Caan were all offered the role of 'Willard' in Apocolypse Now. The role went to Martin Sheen who Coppola remembered from his audition for 'Michael' in the Godfather (the role that went to Pacino).

Incidentally, Coppola wanted George Lucas to direct the movie but he was tied up.

Another peice of trivia, Laurence Fishburne was only 14 playing a 17 year old. He lied about his age.

The horror.

The horror
Bloody hell!!!

Thank God none of them got the role as its my all time favourite movie because of Martin Sheen's performance.

hungrywing