Famous Football Moments You Haven't Seen

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Inspired by this tweet:

In modern football you see everything of note, often seconds after it happened. It takes a very dedicated football fan to go back and watch old matches in full, but whether it's through social media, pre-game packages or otherwise, you still get to see the most famous moments. Any time Argentina come up on English television you're going to see the Hand of God, every Manchester United fan regardless of age has seen Solskjaer win it in Barcelona.

What are the biggest football moments that you've heard about but never seen the footage? I couldn't tell you what Gordon Banks' save against Brazil in 1970 actually looks like. Slightly more recently, I was at a Shelbourne game when Suarez handled the ball against Ghana in the World Cup in 2010, and as it slipped down the rungs of his highlights and controversies since, I don't think I've ever seen that one either.

Uniquim

It's not precisely what you asked for since I watched the game, but I think a lot on here probably won't have seen the 2019 Libertadores final. Flamengo had their 1999 moment.
Worth watching the last 5 or so minutes of the game. I've set it to start at 10:12. Gabigol scored twice, got a yellow card, then a red card, and River had Palacios sent off too all in a couple of minutes.

and to answer the question: I felt I heard so much about that 1994 final and Baggio's moment, but I've never seen any of it. I saw there was now a documentary on Netflix(?) about Baggio that probably will include that, but haven't started it yet. Never watched Liverpool's CL comeback win. Never seen any clips of that Grande Torino side, even if I've read a lot about it. Not sure if there even is much footage given how long ago it was.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Dunno if it's famous but I've basically never seen a single City trophy lift or celebrations. Successfully managed to avoid pics and stuff too.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Dunno if it's famous but I've basically never seen a single City trophy lift or celebrations. Successfully managed to avoid pics and stuff too.
The Aguero goal is undeniable but modern City are so dully inevitable they don't lend themselves to moments. Was it two seasons ago they came back from 2-0 down on the last day to snatch the league away from Liverpool? Couldn't tell you what one goal in that game looked like.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Interesting thread.

I think I havent watched a single full United game in LVG's second season. So whatever happened there I know only from this forum. This includes the FA cup final.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Never actually watched the 2010 Champions League final nor the 2003 one which are accepted to be the most boring

Big Andy

Bloke
The Aguero goal is undeniable but modern City are so dully inevitable they don't lend themselves to moments. Was it two seasons ago they came back from 2-0 down on the last day to snatch the league away from Liverpool? Couldn't tell you what one goal in that game looked like.
I can tell you how sick the scousers in the pub were though :lol:

Chipper

Adulterer.
Loads in the last 15 years. The way I watched football totally changed. Up until my mid twenties I'd watch, or at least have on TV in the background as much as I could. If I was at home I'd have football on. That changed, I watch every United game I can now, but nowhere as much football in general even if I have the time.

Just going through a list of CL finals for example - I watched the last one we were in (2011). Since that I remember watching 2 live in full. Bayern v Dortmund & Real Madrid v Liverpool (the Karius one). Turned off Liverpool v Spurs when they scored early and I think that's it. Don't think I've seen the highlights or goals for most of them, the last 4 finals I've no memory of seeing anything of at all.

Similar story for World Cups, Euros, domestic cup finals, and big domestic league matches. Seen 2 of the last 5 world cup finals; Spain v Netherlands, France v Croatia. Suppose Messi winning the last one was a legendary moment but I couldn't be arsed with it and haven't seen it.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
never watched the istanbul final, hated both teams so just decided to do something else(cant remember what)

OverratedOpinion

I am not sure any of their moments are particularly famous but I have seen very little of this City side as a whole.

Firstly because nothing they do really matters but also because they play some of the most boring football going.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I was gonna reply to you with a picture of them lifting the trophy and say "what? This pic?" But when I was typing it in Google, I nearly threw up.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The Aguero goal is undeniable but modern City are so dully inevitable they don't lend themselves to moments.
I dunno man, they were involved in one if the all time greatest moments in european football history. Not quite United in '99 but close enough

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Never seen any clips of that Grande Torino side, even if I've read a lot about it. Not sure if there even is much footage given how long ago it was.
I don't believe there is any aside from maybe a few random seconds here and there. But nothing that you can at least try to begin to assess their quality on.

CallyRed

I've not watched the 7 goals Liverpool put past us last season and I never will.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
It's not precisely what you asked for since I watched the game, but I think a lot on here probably won't have seen the 2019 Libertadores final. Flamengo had their 1999 moment.
Worth watching the last 5 or so minutes of the game. I've set it to start at 10:12. Gabigol scored twice, got a yellow card, then a red card, and River had Palacios sent off too all in a couple of minutes.

and to answer the question: I felt I heard so much about that 1994 final and Baggio's moment, but I've never seen any of it. I saw there was now a documentary on Netflix(?) about Baggio that probably will include that, but haven't started it yet. Never watched Liverpool's CL comeback win. Never seen any clips of that Grande Torino side, even if I've read a lot about it. Not sure if there even is much footage given how long ago it was.
I won thousands on that game when Flamengo came back. Greatest shithouse win I’ve ever seen on a stage like that.

Robertd0803

I havent seen anything Liverpool/City have acheived in the past 10/11 years.

Quite proud of my disregard for it as well.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Never seen the goals in the UCL final between Spurs and Liverpool or City v Inter

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I turned off the City-QPR match when Dzeko equalized. At that point I knew it was inevitable.

Chairman Steve

Never watched the Aguero QPR goal. I was at a Swansea vs Liverpool game with friends where Liverpool meekly lost and their fans were quiet all game, then once news got through about that goal after the FT whistle, they celebrated like they’d just won the Champions League

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I was gonna reply to you with a picture of them lifting the trophy and say "what? This pic?" But when I was typing it in Google, I nearly threw up.
I’ve been wary of this. I scrolled extremely slowly to @Mr Pigeon reply to me to make sure it wasn’t an image :lol:

didz

I'm pretty sure the only reason I've seen the Aguero goal is because Sky Sports put it in their ad breaks. Even then I must know to look away every time, because I genuinely can't picture it.