Fans to return in October...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

I expected this, although I thought it would be for the start of the new season. With this information, for the sake of sporting integrity, I would prefer the new season to start on 01 October in line with this personally.

shaky

Ah well. It was nice while it lasted. I'll miss watching the games and getting to hear every shout on the pitch and touchline.

Evans999

Nailed on for a Leeds United vs Manchester United on 27th of September.

Rafaeldagold

I’ve been impressed how good the football has been without fans actually, players deserve credit. Can’t wait to have fans back though- especially for lower clubs where it’s absolutely crucial to get fans back for match day income

Kaos

They could at least do so at reduced capacity. Not sure its a great idea opening the flood gates to 75000 people shouting and chanting in close proximity to one another.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Will be a while until we're back to full stands. Could see the entirety of next season with partial seating, with the stadium not full until 2021/22 season.

United Hobbit

Sounds a bit one extreme to the other

I'd maybe have season ticket holders back first and spread them out as what will they do about the huge queues in the toilet and bar areas at half time/ before and after the game?

I'd be inclined to make people wear masks as well at least in the areas mentioned above

Then you have the added complications of them piling onto public transport, the tram queues at Old Trafford are always rammed plus the rush leaving the ground etc...

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
The disease is expected to flare up with the cold weather, this sounds like a bad, bad idea.

Traub

Ahh just in time for a second wave. Maybe it's a ploy by the government to force a second hard lockdown.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
When is the new season looking at starting with some clubs playing in Europe (in august) surely October makes sense?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This sounds silly, why can't they just have a small section of fans to start off?

Falcow

Cant see it happening in October. The virus is out of control nearly everywhere outside Europe. I think it will be at least 2021.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It’s clearly going to be on a limited basis with social distancing being required. It’ll probably be at something like 25% capacity for a while.

Also:

Ah well. It was nice while it lasted. I'll miss watching the games and getting to hear every shout on the pitch and touchline.
This, I’ve really grown to love hearing the players etc.

pacifictheme

Even without fans next season was going to return to the normal schedule.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Will be a while until we're back to full stands. Could see the entirety of next season with partial seating, with the stadium not full until 2021/22 season.
Don't think so. I think it'll be back to normal sooner than that .. especially when you consider that the Euros are next season and they will not do partial seating for that.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
And maybe that's fairer, giving every game in a season similar treatment. That said is it practical? As soon as it's safe to get full stadia we should do it, I'd hate to see half-full houses well into next year for no reason other than keeping parity with what had to happen earlier in the season.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I am not sure how things are turning out in the UK, but it doesn't sound too amazing to my South Asian ears.
Are we sure this is a good step by the government?
Based on the Govt's handling of every major decision since February, no. It's almost definitely the worst possible decision.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
At the moment it seems all but certain that Bundesliga will allow fans back into the stadiums from the beginning of next season, the only question appears to be how many and the particulars around testing fans as close to the match as possible and taking temperatures at the gates. So as with the last restart Britain/the PL can take a look at the German concepts and borrow (tweak) what they (don't) like. If it's indeed a giant mistake, they will probably realize that in Germany, before they try it in England.

Last edited:

redpatron

This sounds silly, why can't they just have a small section of fans to start off?
they probably start like Japan right now. Japan is 5000 or 50% capacity whichever is less, temperature checks at the gate and face covering required. No alcohol served at concessions.

izzydiggler

The government want people to oppose a second lockdown...opening up everything and getting people out of the the ‘safety first’ mindset is what they’re doing.

Talk of normality in November is absolute head in the clouds thinking and I suspect soon it'll be put on local authorities to shut things down if they want, so the government can wash their hands of it and say it’s not their decision.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The Independent were saying the other day that the proposal was for 40% to be allowed in.

I just can’t see the integrity in introducing it two weeks into the season though. Needs to be from the start.

This will help clubs plan financially though. Businesses need to be able to project income.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
It'll be reduced capacities and fask masks etc will be mandatory i'd imagine.

I think it's a positive step. We've got to try and get back to normality

zing

Zingle balls
I've heard that United might use ST seniority when allowing fans back in.

1. Execs
2. ST holders with 20+ years
3. ST holders with 15+ years
4. etc
it'd make more sense to have a heavier mix of younger people as they're less susceptible to the virus.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
There will apparently be ‘tests’ before a proper rollout. I read about a month ago that fans may be allowed into the FA Cup Final. That may well end up being one of the test events.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
There will apparently be ‘tests’ before a proper rollout. I read about a month ago that fans may be allowed into the FA Cup Final. That may well end up being one of the test events.
They've quoted the test events haven't they?
And none of them are football.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They won't go from nothing to full crowds, it could be as low as 25% of capacity.

But while that works for your lower leaguers with a 10,000 crowd, I'm not sure we can go straight into 19,000 or so.

Too many issues with trams, access, toilets, refreshments etc

lsd

The Oracle
I don't think anything Boris says is to be taken seriously his credibility is shot to pieces over this crisis and no one important is going to listen to him

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I’ve been impressed how good the football has been without fans actually, players deserve credit. Can’t wait to have fans back though- especially for lower clubs where it’s absolutely crucial to get fans back for match day income
Once I got used to it, I’ve loved it without fan noise. I certainly can’t stand it with the fake crowd noise.

Nothing to distract and it forces you to really watch closely, through which my tactical knowledge of the game has improved a lot.

Mr Smith

Not in the UK; do people feel this is premature? I'm in Australia and we've already tried to loosen restrictions once only for cases to start popping up again. I'm not at all convinced there can be a successful return for fans as early as October.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not in the UK; do people feel this is premature? I'm in Australia and we've already tried to loosen restrictions once only for cases to start popping up again. I'm not at all convinced there can be a successful return for fans as early as October.
I’m just not for the persecution of football. By all means, maintain restrictions if that is what is happening in society as a whole. But if everyone can near enough do as they please and move around shopping centres, bars and gyms then this ‘who cares about football anyway, they are just overpaid and irrelevant’ disposition needs to go.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I doubt it. There is going to be 2nd wave. It's better let them getting angry rather than taking a risk for people's lives.