Fans turning on their own team and players

SAred

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins
After seeing our Paddy doing a Cantona with a slight twist against his own supporters, You could not make that up could you. His own supporters were insulting him, I'm confused. Our own fans booing the likes of Lukaku and the manager, whats going on????

Is this a new trend or all the teams starting to adopt the Real Madrid way of appreciating their players.

Confused..

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Has our fans even booed Lukaku?I must say, I've not heard it at all.

ChaddyP

Maybe not Lukaku but certainly Fellaini has never been liked by the majority of fans and has been boo'ed. Always found that incredibly strange and sad.

Plato

I was watching some United videos from the 60s and I thought the United fans were booing but it turned out they were chanting Boo-urns.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Burns_(footballer)?wprov=sfla1

Regarding Lukaku, all that happened is a few disgruntled noises when he gave up chasing that ball that he wouldn't have caught anyway.

Giggs used to get booed back in the day because he was crap for periods in the early to mid 00s. Had a reputation for getting into form around contract renewal time.

Kieran Richardson was also routinely booed by our fans. I still remember as clearly as yesterday when he scored a 27 yard wonder goal against FC Copenhagen or some club like that and some guy made a thread on here in praise of Richardson's perseverance but instead of praising his bullet into the top corner everyone just called him shit. Here's the thread: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/richardson.131141/

Here are some Fergie quotes on it:

Fans forced Richardson out
Richardson better off at the Stadium of Light

By Stephen Pass Last updated: 12th August 2007

Richardson: Forced out

Sir Alex Ferguson claims opposition to Kieran Richardson from Manchester United fans forced him to sell him to Sunderland.

The United chief says it was better for the player to move on after he came in for stick from some sections of the Old Trafford faithful.

He let Richardson move to the Stadium of Light in a £5.5million switch in the summer, so linking up with former United team-mate Roy Keane at the Stadium of Light.

Ferguson told the Sunday Express: "I let him go mainly because some fans were getting on his back and I don't like that.

"Kieran has great ability but he isn't going to flourish if he hasn't got everyone behind him.

"So when Sunderland made a good offer, I decided to accept and send him on his way with our best wishes."

Last edited:

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
I've never booed a player when I've been at a game, refs and opponents maybe.

The only player I've ever actively disliked whilst still at the club was Suarez, couldn't wait to see the back of him.

There's plenty of players at the club now I really don't think are good enough to still be on the books but I'd never boo them, not much of a supporter booing your own team or players. Doesn't mean I won't moan they should be sold though :D

I really don't get people that would feel compelled to send death threats to people over a mistake in a football game though, you can't even blame heat of the moment stupid overreactions for that as they've obviously had time to steam, write out the threat and then send it. Seems bonkers.

KM

They boo’d Rashford being subbed as Lukaku was stinking out the place. It was audible on TV but by no means a majority of the crowd.
That doesn't mean they were booing Lukaku, that just means they were booing Jose and his subs.

Moby

Dick
Every fan at the stadium has to absolutely support and cheer the team especially while they are playing. What the hell is booing during the game going to do anything but worsen the situation? Doing it in publim media like twitter or something after the game has finished is another thing, but booing your own player during a match is embarrassing and you've simply lost the plot.

Classical Mechanic

That doesn't mean they were booing Lukaku, that just means they were booing Jose and his subs.
It is impossible to prove but it felt like the crowd wanted Lukaku off and not Rashford. The crowd groaned at Lukaku for giving up on that ball which is a big no no in English football and his all round performance was frustrating.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Apparently the fans got fed up of all his happy happy videos irrespective of the performances and results, which indeed can bring a lot of frustration. Some fans here were even frustrated with Jesse and Pogba last year. Not sure if that warrants any booing tho.

lsd

The Oracle
It is impossible to prove but it felt like the crowd wanted Lukaku off and not Rashford. The crowd groaned at Lukaku for giving up on that ball which is a big no no in English football and his all round performance was frustrating.

That's the way it came across I doubt they would have booed if Jose took lukaku off for martial

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
I think it's stupid, unless our players or team have done something truly contemptible then we need to be supporting them through thick and thin, we need to cheer them and spur them on, give them something more than the money to play for, make them want to play for the fans.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Every fan at the stadium has to absolutely support and cheer the team especially while they are playing. What the hell is booing during the game going to do anything but worsen the situation? Doing it in publim media like twitter or something after the game has finished is another thing, but booing your own player during a match is embarrassing and you've simply lost the plot.
Latin culture says hi!

Moby

Dick
Latin culture says hi!
They can go do one. Players like Casillas and Maldini getting booed by Madrid and Milan fans are some of the worst things I've ever come to see.

But there's simply no sense in booing your own player while at the stadium, full stop. I've been at non-United games and even though I wasn't a fan of the team I couldn't stay away from cheering the players up and contributing to the atmosphere. It's what people at the stadium ought to do and not ruin the whole atmosphere. Believe it or not but the players play a lot off the crowd energy and cheering them is a massive boost for them. I cannot imagine how a player who's put in all that effort and now is in the middle of an actual match would feel seeing his own fans rejecting him - absolutely destroys any motivation.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They can go do one. Players like Casillas and Maldini getting booed by Madrid and Milan fans are some of the worst things I've ever come to see.
I personally agree in those cases, but there instances were i can't help but side with the booers(mostly, it's when a team doesn't show any effort. If you can't be arsed to do your job, you get the boos). As i said, it's a cultural thing. Which often goes way overboard

Moby

Dick
I personally agree in those cases, but there instances were i can't help but side with the booers(mostly, it's when a team doesn't show any effort. If you can't be arsed to do your job, you get the boos). As i said, it's a cultural thing. Which often goes way overboard
If a team is underperforming, how will booing them help? That's the point they need the support the most, not dejection.

Every team and player goes through bad times, they're not robots. Booing fans are nothing but fickle.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If a team is underperforming, how will booing them help? That's the point they need the support the most, not dejection.

Every team and player goes through bad times, they're not robots. Booing fans are nothing but fickle.
Having an off day and looking pointedly uninterested are different things. A team that treats a competitive game like a pre-season friendly and does badly because of it deserves to get a good kick up the arse

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Could you even imagine the thought process that would go into pursing your lips to make that noise against your own team? Personally I don't even do it to opponents but it's utterly unthinkable to do it to United.

If you have a problem with people at your club you need to make it clear when you're protesting who your distain is aimed at. Some people say the protests at Arsenal are negative for team morale but at least their protest is clearly targeted at the men at the top and the manager.

Kieran Richardson was also routinely booed by our fans. I still remember as clearly as yesterday when he scored a 27 yard wonder goal against FC Copenhagen or some club like that and some guy made a thread on here in praise of Richardson's perseverance but instead of praising his bullet into the top corner everyone just called him shit. Here's the thread: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/richardson.131141/
The dog's abuse he got was embarrassing but I distinctly remember the headline 'PLAY ME OR SELL ME' from Richardson to Fergie on the back of the Mirror. Now I know papers given an inch will often take a mile in putting words in people's mouths but I believe there is truth in the tales about Richardson's overrating of himself. That impression maybe got up a few fan noses so in that respect I think criticism of him was valid, but of course the booing and vitriolic abuse was as out of order as it was counter-productive.

Moby

Dick
Having an off day and looking pointedly uninterested are different things. A team that treats a competitive game like a pre-season friendly and does badly because of it deserves to get a good kick up the arse
I'm not disagreeing your objection, but I'm disagreeing with showing it WHEN A MATCH IS GOING ON! The players are out there in a professional football match, they could do without such distractions and demotivating reaction at least till they are on the pitch and playing and every minute they are out there it's the job of a fan to constantly motivate them by cheering despite whatever gripe you have towards them. There is plenty of media for people to protest against the situation after the game has finished, but doing it during the game is the worst thing a fan can do at the stadium.

Put yourself in their shoes, if you have ever been to a game you'd have easily noticed how players react to the crowd reaction and how much of a boost there is give back to the people cheering and supporting you. If they are booing you instead of doing that it is easy to lose motivation and that will do nothing but worsen the situation even more and dent the team performance. There's nothing positive that will come out of booing them during a game and you as a fan will have actively contributing in bringing the team performance down.

I mean imagine a player is coming on as a sub and the crowd starts booing him as that point. No matter what he's done before, right then he's going onto the pitch and will be a part of the team. Demotivating him at that very moment will not bring anything good for that match. At that time knowing he's going onto the pitch you ought to do nothing but give him confidence. You can express whatever you want after the final whistle but at least till the match is going on don't be a damn hindrance.

Moby

Dick
Could you even imagine the thought process that would go into pursing your lips to make that noise against your own team?
Precisely mate. No matter how bad a player is he is playing for Manchester United and I couldn't think of going to the stadium and insulting them to their face.

No one intentionally plays poorly. If you don't think they're good enough for your team blame the management for buying them and putting them in the starting eleven. The player is doing his job, insulting them during the game is the most senseless thing to do.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think there were groans when a poor touch occurred. Skysports have sensationalised them to be boos.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I can understand fans turning on players, there's absolutely no excuse for not giving a 100% each game, if a player doesn't do that they deserve criticism in my view. I'm surprised the players dont give each other a bit more grief to be honest, if you were playing and your mate looked like he didnt fancy it, you'd be all over him.

Players like Lingard get unfairly treated by the Caf faithful for me.

I thought the discussion in the Berbatov thread was an interesting one, he was a class act, truly a phenomenal player but his work ethic was incredibly frustrating and i struggled with him when he played.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I can understand fans turning on players, there's absolutely no excuse for not giving a 100% each game, if a player doesn't do that they deserve criticism in my view. I'm surprised the players dont give each other a bit more grief to be honest, if you were playing and your mate looked like he didnt fancy it, you'd be all over him.
They could be playing through injuries, juggling with personal family problems, they could be unwell?

KM

I think there were groans when a poor touch occurred. Skysports have sensationalised them to be boos.
I bet no one would have even talked about it if Mourinho didn't moan about it in post match press conference.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I bet no one would have even talked about it if Mourinho didn't moan about it in post match press conference.
Agreed.

But at the same time, skysports note its a groan here at October end: http://www.skysports.com/football/n...need-to-back-romelu-lukaku-says-jose-mourinho

And in their latest article explanation it's suddenly us booing Lukaku: http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ics-in-exclusive-interview-with-thierry-henry

There is a big difference between the two imo. Groans are common in stadiums when footballers can fail to do basic things or frustrate the crowd. Boos are far less common and far more extreme.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Just part of the game. If a player keeps having bad games he'll get booed. Don't think that's something new, I'm sure the Romans would boo their favourite gladiator if he kept losing matches every week, or wait.. not the best example, ah well.

Schmiznurf

Just part of the game. If a player keeps having bad games he'll get booed. Don't think that's something new, I'm sure the Romans would boo their favourite gladiator if he kept losing matches every week, or wait.. not the best example, ah well.
Considering how much gladiators cost to feed, train and house they wouldn't be replacing them every week though.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Considering how much gladiators cost to feed, train and house they wouldn't be replacing them every week though.
Was thinking more along the lines of a gladiator losing is probably the end of said gladiator.

red_devil83

Let's be honest. These professional athletes will know when they're playing shit. The crowd groaning at their repeated mistakes or perceived lack of effort should be a kick up the backside if anything.

Rashford will have known he wasn't being booed. Lukaku may have realised it was for him not being taken off.

Either way. I'm sure they'll get over it

SteveW

The only reason this is an issue is because Jose pretended the supporters were booing Lukaku when in reality they were booing his decision to take Rashford off. Rather than have the press latch onto the idea that some supporters had a problem with his substitutions he fabricated this idea that they have a problem with Lukaku instead.

It's increased the pressure on the player because now it looks to the world as if the fans are on his back. Taking the penalty off him adds to this as it suggests his confidence is so low he had to be protected from missing it. It makes it seem like Lukaku is really struggling and Jose is trying to protect him. Which is nonsense imo.

I'm a little unsure as to the motives behind all of this. Taken at face value it just looks like Jose deflecting negative attention off of himself and onto a player. But I don't get why he'd do that. Surely he can handle a little bit of negative press? I like Jose so I'd like to think he has some other reasons for all this.

Plato

The only reason this is an issue is because Jose pretended the supporters were booing Lukaku when in reality they were booing his decision to take Rashford off. Rather than have the press latch onto the idea that some supporters had a problem with his substitutions he fabricated this idea that they have a problem with Lukaku instead.

It's increased the pressure on the player because now it looks to the world as if the fans are on his back. Taking the penalty off him adds to this as it suggests his confidence is so low he had to be protected from missing it. It makes it seem like Lukaku is really struggling and Jose is trying to protect him. Which is nonsense imo.

I'm a little unsure as to the motives behind all of this. Taken at face value it just looks like Jose deflecting negative attention off of himself and onto a player. But I don't get why he'd do that. Surely he can handle a little bit of negative press? I like Jose so I'd like to think he has some other reasons for all this.
Didn't Lukaku so taking pens after he missed his first one, well before any of the recent criticism?

SteveW

Didn't Lukaku so taking pens after he missed his first one, well before any of the recent criticism?
True but he stepped up to take one midweek and Jose overruled it and did an interview afterwords saying he did it to protect him because his confidence is down. He said he will let him take another penalty but only when the result is already secure.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Lukaku hasn't been booed.
I don't even buy that Fellaini was. He was absolutely awful in every game and had just cost us points being a moron the week before. It was the decision to bring on an awful player again when already struggling to play decent football that was booed, in my eyes.
I've always thought booing is pretty lame, but fans pay way more than they should for football and it's just entertainment at the end of the day. There's not many ways for fans to communicate with the club they've followed and poured money into all their lives.
The Marseille fans were being dicks though (looked like they'd jumped the barriers).

The obvious solution is having a real forum (not like this one), where there's a meet up and discussion with influential people from the club and select fan groups. A bit like what MUST suggested recently with Jose. All it needs to be is in the format of a press conference but with fans instead of journos. Doesn't have to be in retaliation to anything bad. Should just happen and be a positive thing. The discussion points could be pre-agreed to avoid anything they don't want to talk about.

Last edited:

Plato

True but he stepped up to take one midweek and Jose overruled it and did an interview afterwords saying he did it to protect him because his confidence is down. He said he will let him take another penalty but only when the result is already secure.
Oh right, didn't see that. Yeah, Jose's man management skills leave a lot to de desired. Or woman management in the case of Eva Carneiro.

Schmiznurf

Was thinking more along the lines of a gladiator losing is probably the end of said gladiator.
It wasn't, it's a myth perpetuated by hollywood. Gladiators were taught to wound plus they had referees, think of gladiatorial bouts as UFC with weapons.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The only player I've ever actively disliked whilst still at the club was Suarez, couldn't wait to see the back of him.
Dude, Suarez is probably the best player that your club have had play for them in the last 2 decades. When he left, LFC's ranking in the league dropped and Rodgers was promptly fired.
He may be a cnut, but he was the guy who almost powered your team to the first league title in about 20 years.