Fantasy Draft - Kazi vs Cutch

Who will win considering players' peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Defensive Phase

Probably best to start here first. When my team is defending, we’ll turn into a 4-4-1-1, defending with two banks of four with Batistuta and one other attacker (usually Bale) left up the pitch for the counter attack. Bale is the default player left up the pitch to support Batistuta when I lose the ball, with the second bank of four being De Rossi-Makelele-Toure-Beckham. If however Beckham is caught high up the field when I lose the ball, he can be kept up for the counter with the second bank of four now becoming Bale-De Rossi-Makelele-Toure. If Toure is caught high up the pitch, it becomes Bale-De Rossi-Makelele-Beckham. The beauty of it is that all five are so strong defensively and someone is always there to cover another.

My back four consists of Brehme, Stam, Ferdinand and Ramos. In Ferdinand and Stam, I have two huge blokes but both very different. Stam will be the stopper. As good as he is, he may have his hands full with Papin. Ferdinand is the right next to him to sweep up. Couldn’t ask for a better partner, Rio is excellent at anticipating the opposition’s forward play. He’ll lead the back line. Ramos who is a front foot centre-back should find his job relatively easy at right back – I still think that is the position he is best at, makes much less mistakes there. On the other side, I’ve gone for a naturally attacking left back. While he’ll help on the counter-attack, he’ll be given a disciplined role when the opposition has the ball. Paroling his area is his number one concern. His stamina is one of his big strengths and it’ll be key in his role as he looks so stop up shut his opponent while providing extra width on the left when needed. Both full backs are versatile to come inside when need be (Brehme has played centrally in the past – as a defensive midfielder) so they can keep tags on the midfielders and second striker Cutch’s team consists off. A quick mention to Cech, who is great at paroling his box, leading from the back, an excellent shot-stopper in his day and very rarely makes a mistake. Ideal keeper really.

The likes of Kaka, Pirlo and Ambrosini will find it difficult to work their magic in my packed midfield with cats like Makelele and De Rossi who are so disciplined defensively and always offer 100% concentration. While Brehme and even Ramos could be left out of position at times, De Rossi or Yaya Toure will be there to fill the void at full back when need be. Beckham and Bale who have always been box-to-box wingers for the majority of their careers will be more than able to carry out their defensive duties

Attacking Phase
Naturally, I will look to play 4-3-3 in attack, with two proper wingers. Bale and Beckham could be the key in this match. I think the full-back region is an area I can target. While both full-backs are two of the best ever, they’ll be relied upon to create width for their team, leaving spaces for Bale and Beckham to exploit. When going forward, Yaya Toure, De Rossi and even Ferdinand will be advised to play the ball out wide at every opportunity. I can see Bale and Beckham creating a lot of chances for the centre-forward and the two runners from midfield, and even looking to score themselves from wide positions.

Gattusp has a tough job trying to keep tabs on both Yaya Toure and De Rossi, two exceptionally well rounded midfielders. Gattuso is a workhorse but both De Rossi and Toure collectively are likely to cause him a lot of problems. Toure is big and strong, goes past players like they’re not there and has two exceptional feet. He may work in bursts but that brings a surprise factor to his play too. De Rossi is different – he may not be as threatening at Toure going forward, but he’ll keep coming with his tenaciousness and may well provide a distraction for Toure. De Rossi is more likely of the two to spread play to the wings and forward to Batistuta.

Batistuta. He’s going to absolutely thrive in this team, hard to pick more perfect players to have behind him. He’ll get on the end of every cross from Bale, Beckham and Brehme, and he’ll get on the end of every forward ball from De Rossi and Ferdinand. I see his main threat being in the air. I think that is where can achieve the most success against Nesta and Cannavaro. He has it all as a centre-forward, pace, drive, power, technical ability. He’s perfect for the counter-attack.

Talking of the counter-attack, it may well be my best route to goal. I don’t have a natural playmaker in midfielder – Beckham is the closest I have really. As I have already mentioned, I’ll switch to a 4-4-1-1 when defending, but when that ball becomes mine again, I have the players to get out quickly and will possibly find myself 1 on 2, 2 on 3 or even 2 on 2 at times. And then there’s Beckham too. And Yaya Toure. My threat on the counter is serious. If Bale is central, this gives Brehme the chance to provide the width down the left with De Rossi covering for him, his stamina makes him ideal and his technical ability makes him just as much a threat as the others.

Where the game will be won

· On the counter attack. My defence will not (hopefully) be penetrated by Cutch’s attacking players. I have too much fire power going forward to not catch Cutch out. My attacking players (Batistuta, Bale, Beckham, Toure) are built for this system and will continually open up Cutch’s attacking team with their quick direct play.

· Down the wings. Cafu and Maldini are legends of the game, but they’ll both be asked to create width for Cutch’s team, especially Cafu. This is where Bale and Brehme will be so dangerous. Any space he leaves will be quickly pounced upon by both.

· In midfield. I simply have better legs in midfield. Your midfield players will find it hard to create and space/pockets to create openings. My midfielders cover every blade of grass and while the same can be said about Gattuso, he is only one man and his work will be cut out.

Batistuta in the air. I really fancy Batistuta in the air vs either of your centre backs. Beckham, Bale and Brehme can be extreme accurate with their delivery and you have to fancy Batistuta’s chances there. One of the best in the air.
Team Kazi

vs

Team Cutch

Sub: Christian Panucci

Tactics
Formation
: 4-4-2 Diamond

Personnel

A tribute to AC Milan and Italy, with a great dane between the sticks.

Not much to say that isn't already fairly obvious. A ridiculous back 5 consisting of arguably the best defence possible of players from the last 20 years. Over 600 caps between them, including 2 World Cup winning captains.
The midfield consists of a famous AC Milan diamond from recent years, while the attack is made up of an Italian World Cup legend, and another proven Milan performer.

Every player will be playing their usual game in a setup that suits them with personnel around them that they're familiar with.
  • Cafu and Maldini will use their incredible engines to bomb up and down the pitch and provide what is usually the main disadvantage of a diamond formation, which is a lack of width.
  • Pirlo will pull the strings in midfield infront of the back 4, and has the hard working ballwinners Gattuso and Ambrosini to do his running for him and enable him to shine.
  • Kaka will play at the tip of the diamond and sometimes roam to the left as he likes to do so. He will of course be the main dribbling outlet through the middle.
  • Upfront are 2 very mobile strikers that can work the channels, which is again important for a diamond formation. Crespo will be the one that will do more of the hold up, whereas Paulo Rossi will have a similar role to his 78 World Cup where he had the freedom to at times drift in from the right, and obviously will be the master poacher.
Its difficult at this stage to plan on how to counter Stobzilla's tactics, as with such a stockpile of Eastern Europeans its hard to guess how he will be set up. The main onus therefore will be on my players playing their own natural game, and with the experience in the side to know how to react to whatever Stobzilla has to throw at us. Some things to keep an eye on however are:
  • Has he got the player in his ranks to stop Pirlo from bossing this game?
  • Has he got anyone to keep a close watch on Kaka?
  • How would Vidic and Popescu fare against the great Paulo Rossi. Crespo's strong running would already give these 2 a problem before we even account for Rossi's opportunism, mobility and finishing ability. Its very hard to see him not getting on the scoresheet.
  • Nedved. Due to the restrictions Nedved will likely find himself in a deeper role here, and with a pest like Gattuso in close attendance. In a more attacking freed up role he would be expected to be more of a danger. Whatever set up is unlikely to play fully to his strengths here.
  • Ibrahimovic is a class act when he feels like it but even he will find it extremely tough against a pairing as good as Nesta-Cannavaro. Will this be a big game he goes missing in?
  • Stoitchkov. He appears to be the danger man and my side may have struggled if it wasn't the legendary Brazilian Cafu that he finds himself up against here.
Stobzilla has a wonderful theme with many understated eastern european players, but here he's up against club and international performers of the very highest pedigree. World Cup winners (8), World Cup Winning Captains (2), Champions League Winners (9) and Ballon D'Ors (3) that i expect to get the job done.

Kazi

Honestly cannot see Cutch's team finding a way through my defence. While it's inevitable that Batistuta or possibly even Bale will get at least one big chance in the game, and take it.

Player Bios:
Cech – Very composed keeper. Commands his box extremely well. Great shot-stopper in his day too. Very rarely will he make a mistake. Three time Uefa Best Goalkeeper.

Ramos – Talented and passionate – right back is a good position for him as he’s strong, fast, an excellent tackler and great on the ball. Knack of scoring important goals. Won it all at 28. Leader of men at a young age – big character. Four times in the Fifa World XI, two time La Liga Best Defender.

Ferdinand – Sir Alex’s greatest defender. You already know everything about this fella – perhaps his greatest strength is his anticipation. Six times in the PFA Team of the Year.

Stam – May well have been Sir Alex’s greatest defender if he retired at United. So big and so strong, takes a special forward to get past him. Two time Uefa Defender of the Year.

Brehme – Legendary left back. Hugely talented player who had it all as a footballer. While he may be known for his attacking play as a left back, he still possessed a lot of defensive attributes such as his positional play, speed and stamina. Great on the counter too. 3rd in ’90 Ballon D’or.

Makelele – The man Real Madrid have spent a billion euros trying to cover up the hole he left behind when he departed. Easily one of the best defensive midfielders of his time.

De Rossi – My defensive box-to-box midfielder, the Italian Roy Keane. So versatile – can play anywhere in midfield. An absolute class act on the ball. There’s nothing he can’t do as a footballer. Covers every blade of grass every time he steps onto a pitch.

Yaya Toure – Mr attacking box-to-box midfielder. Been used as a centre-back, an attacking midfielder and everywhere in between and has always been great. This position is where he’s best at. Gallops past players like they’re not there and scores loads. Three time African Footballer of the Year.

Beckham – Pinpoint accuracy with his distribution, crossing and set pieces. Very quick in his day and was always box-to-box for United – works hard for the team. Scored loads of wonder goals with a dead-ball and in open play. Extremely efficient; a game with a Beckham goal or assist is a rare game. 2nd in the ’99 Ballon D’or, Uefa Footballer of the Year ’99.

Bale – He’s an absolute monster. So quick, so powerful, so much technical ability. Only 24 years old but he’s already achieved more than most. Scores big goals and scores great goals. Special player. Never mind his season with Real, these are his 26 goals with Tottenham during 2012/13. Just look at how many of them are wonder goals. LOOK! ALMOST ALL OF THEM! WHAT A TALENT.
PFA Players’ Player of the year in 10/11 and 12/13.

Batistuta – Perfect centre-forward to build my team around. Absolutely has it all as a centre-forward – everything (think Gary Oldman’s ‘everyone’ in Leon). One man wrecking machine, give him scraps to work with and he’ll turn water into wine. Argentina all-time top goal-scorer, 3rd in the ‘99 Fifa Player of the Year.

crappycraperson

Scout
Honestly cannot see Cutch's team finding a way through my defence. While it's inevitable that Batistuta or possibly even Bale will get at least one big chance in the game, and take it.
Bale vs Cafu ? No chance

Batigol is up against it as well. No easy Beckham cross goal this time. Your best bet is Yaya escaping Pirlo to do something

Kazi

Bale vs Cafu ? No chance

Batigol is up against it as well. No easy Beckham cross goal this time. Your best bet is Yaya escaping Pirlo to do something
Cafu may be relied upon to create width for his narrow midfield. On the counter with those clear spaces, not even Cafu could catch up to Bale. Cutch himself has said that both Cafu and Maldini will provide the width. In fact, this game will be easier than my first on the counter - Cutch has full-backs that will bomb forward and his deepest midfielder is a pure regista. Of course his centre-backs are legendary but with limited protection, it could get ugly for them. Gattuso's in there and he'll work his socks off, but I'm not convinced with Ambrosini.

Last edited:

NoPace

Kazi 2-1 on the break for me, though it would all depend on who scores first. Ambrosini and Gattuso looks likely to be spare often, and that doesn`t scare me.

Beckham in his prime crossing with Bale and Batisuta as targets is a goal, for me.
Pirlo to Cafu or Maldini to a striker for the equalizer.

Then it gets fuxzy. I went with Kazu since I think Makelele does a better job on Kaka than Pirlo can do on Yaya.

Insane running out wide with Maldini vs Beckham and Cafu vs Bale.

Hard to vote against that back 6 of Cutch`s. If Ambrosini were replaced with a better player who could still be counted on defensively, say, Luis Enrique, Schweinsteiger or Robson and a more creative striker for one of the goalscorers (too many to name, but Raul, Zola, Forlan and Zlatan come to mind), I would have gone with that team over the width and power of Kazi`s team.

Last edited:

crappycraperson

Scout
Sorry Kazi, Voted Cutch. All the defenders of Cutch at their peak would handle your attack. It would come down to Pirlo vs Yaya battle, also while I rate Rio-Stam pair very highly they would have their hands full with thhose two strikers. I just rate Pirlo higher and I think it is more likely that Pirlo will turn the game than Toure.

Annahnomoss

Difficult game this, both are absolutely brilliant defensively and it seems really difficult to predict a winner. All I know is that if Cutch goes one up, he'd win almost certainly having such a brilliant counter setup.

Bale-Brehme against Cafu-Gattuso is a brilliant match, the latter two are perfect to negate the former defensively. On the other side Beckham-Ramos are equally perfect for Kazi in terms of handling Maldini.

Centrally Makelele, Rio, Stam are all absolute top class as are Cannavaro and Nesta. I think a positional/defensive mistake from Ramos/Toure or Pirlo will decide the outcome.

NoPace

0-0 is written all over this game.
Disagree. Yaya vs Pirlo looks promising for both attacks, the crossing ability on both teams and the simple fact of the diamond vs a wider team means I think it would be a game with enough chances to produce a goal from one of the many great finishers on the pitch.

VivaJanuzaj

Disagree. Yaya vs Pirlo looks promising for both attacks, the crossing ability on both teams and the simple fact of the diamond vs a wider team means I think it would be a game with enough chances to produce a goal from one of the many great finishers on the pitch.
Both defenses are incredibly strong, and I think both can handle the opposition's attacking threat.

Kazi

Disappointed that no one has given me credit for pushing Beckham a centimeter back.

crappycraperson

Scout
Disappointed that no one has given me credit for pushing Beckham a centimeter back.
:lol:

Maldini is a draft superman I would be shocked if Beckham gets any credit at all in this one. I had Garrincha against him in a WC draft and he ate him alive

Kazi

:lol:

Maldini is a draft superman I would be shocked if Beckham gets any credit at all in this one. I had Garrincha against him in a WC draft and he ate him alive
I always think that if your full-back has played a lot of their games at centre-back, their defensive capabilities automatically double, at least. Obviously with Maldini it's different - he's a great, but it's part of the reason I put Ramos at right back.

Going purely on systems, my counter-attacking team with width is tailor-made to exploit a 4-4-2 diamond system. They couldn't really ask for a better system to face.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I still have absolutely no idea how Cutch pulled that off, including someone selling Pirlo and Gattuso to him for peanuts when he already had that backline. Masochists.

crappycraperson

Scout
I still have absolutely no idea how Cutch pulled that off, including someone selling Pirlo and Gattuso to him for peanuts when he already had that backline. Masochists.
Pippa's fault. He sold Pirlo and then played a diamond anyway :houllier:

Kazi

This is bullocks. I understand why Cutch is winning 9-1 on paper, but in reality, he'd have no chance! Absolutely no chance! I'm almost certain he wouldn't be able to score a goal, or even get a sniff.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
This is bullocks. I understand why Cutch is winning 9-1 on paper, but in reality, he'd have no chance! Absolutely no chance! I'm almost certain he wouldn't be able to score a goal, or even get a sniff.
That's crazy talk, man. He has a very well balanced team there. And it's not short on individual quality either. I agree that 10-1 is harsh - but you're not sporting Brazil '70 here, man. There are possible issues with your team which are greater than any Cutch struggle with: he can keep that set up and upgrade individual players all the way to the final, as I see it. And his defence...well, just look at the damn thing.

You're selling him strangely short - in, erm, short.

Annahnomoss

Don't get too put off from a big loss. Sometimes everybody thinks you are losing the game 2-1 and you end up losing the votes with 25-5, which is an even result but the votes looks like it was a massacre.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Cutch is flying here. He's got to be the favourite for the whole thing.

Kazi

^Bit of a rant to try and pull back some votes, but this one is long gone. I'm voting for myself to make me feel better.

Still think I'd take this btw, I have Bale!

Moby

Dick
Yeah looks unbreakable at the back. Only hope of winning against him would be someone having Djimi Traore in their team.

crappycraperson

Scout
Cutch is flying here. He's got to be the favourite for the whole thing.
Problem is upgrading the team. Seedrof is a clear upgrade available, after that he will have to take out one of the defenders to put in a CM perhaps. Dunno let' s see.

Thisistheone

Cutch's side looks like something you'd see in the final, nevermind a first round game.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Sorry lads, have struggled to get online. Thanks for the votes.

I agree that this game will be one of few goals, if any.

I certainly can’t see Kazi breaking my side down, with Batistuta finding himself isolated upfront with only really Bale in some sort of close attendance. I’m not sure we’ve any real evidence showing Batistuta as an effective lone striker, and i’ve got 2 of the best in the business (a proven World Class partnership) to keep him out. The plan will amount to crossing from everywhere moyes style, relying on Bale or Toure to dribble past 3-4 and score a Worldy, or Batistuta to beat the great Schmeichel from 30 yards. This might happen against average defences but very unlikely to against this one.

Ambrosini and Gattuso will be key here at putting out fires across the midfield to stop the likes of Toure running through the middle and Bale/Beckham out wide. This will allow the standout midfielder on the pitch Andrea Pirlo to stamp his influence on the game, 2 all time great fullbacks to bomb up and down, and get Kaka in his Balon D’or winning form on the ball. Kazi has a strong defence, but my pairing up top can attempt to run them ragged, with Crespo’s strong running, and Rossi’s poaching instinct, i’d fancy my teams chances of nicking it probably 9 times out of 10.

2 strong sides but i’ve got the better defence (5 all time greats), a proven midfield diamond with the great Pirlo, and one of the best goalscorers of all time uptop. My side is more proven right at the highest level of World Cups and Champions Leagues, and has the cohesion of players who have played together for many years for club and country.