Fantasy draft S1: Cutch VS Chester

Which team would win based on their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Annahnomoss

Theme

All 10 outfield players to have played for the great Associazione Calcio Milan.

Tactics
All very obvious.

The great dane is between the sticks as the last line of defence. No better man to keep the back 4 on their toes, not they need it given their experience and quality.

A watertight back four. 2 of the all time great fullbacks Cafu and Paulo Maldini will get up and down the pitch all game. Nesta and Costacurta are again reunited, Nesta using his pace and reading of the game to deal with Weah and Costacurta using his class and defensive nous to fill in where required.

Andrea Pirlo sits in his trademark position dictating play from deep. He and Fernando Redondo will control the pace of this game, mixing it up between playing it around short or launching raking long passes out wide to the flanks when its available. Pirlo has his trusted sidekick and cnut Gennaro Gattuso to do all the dirty work and who will also offer Cafu greater security. Clarence Seedorf awaits on the bench should the game require him.

The acquisition since the last round of the outstanding Dejan Savicevic takes some of the attacking burden from Kaka. These 2 will work in tandem at exposing Chester’s defence, Kaka with his powerful running gliding past defenders, and Sacicevic with his wonderful ability of leaving defenders bamboozled with his skill and close control.

Upfront is a complete centre forward. A player with class but one also capable of doing a lot of the work that goes unnoticed. Hernan Crespo will provide a focal point upfront and occupy Chesters back 4 with his movement and endeavour, and should be good for a goal in this one.

Main instruction
These players have been there and done that on the greatest stages of World and European football. There should be no special instructions to distract anyone from playing their natural game. Hence playing everyone is in a formation to suit, and in an environment that they are known to flourish. Chester has some brilliant players who on their day can give anyone a game, but if these 11 players go onto the pitch and play their natural game, they should win this game more often than not.

VERSUS
Team Chester

Players/tactical considerations/etc:

Contrary to rumours in the press I will not start Viv Anderson in goal. Yes, it's true that I feel for Viv, who hasn't gotten a minute on the pitch so far - but he's used to that. Anyone familiar with Viv's career knows this. Anyway, Kahn gets the nod again - and we all know what a smashing fellow, and goal keeper, "Olive" (as I like to call him) is.

I'm going for five at the back this time round. The usual quartet of Bezsonov, Buchwald, McGrath and Cabrini will be joined by a legend, the Madrid maestro Fernando Hierro. Two points about Hierro's impact:

a) His presence back there means that Bezsonov and Cabrini will have more freedom to join the attack. That does not mean they'll be bombing headlessly down the flanks. They will play their natural game - but the latter involves getting forward, something both are superbly adept at. Having these two join the attack with greater freedom will add a new dimension to my game - as both Francescoli and Littbarski will be able to combine to a greater extent with said gents.

b) He will surge forward when given the chance. He will carry the ball out from the back, looking to start a sequence. He will also, when the occasion calls for it, join the attack more directly - in his trademark style. Hierro will play what we can a free-ish role in my back five. In the purely defensive phase Hierro will come in very handy against Kaka, allowing the others to concentrate on the forwards - and on Cafu, who I imagine will try to join the attack as frequently as he can.

Bryan Robson will perform his usual box-to-box duties. He will seek to get into the box, as he always does, and finish off moves whilst marshaling the middle of the park in his customary manner. He will be joined by Roy Keane. I've gone from upgrading Petit with Dunga to upgrading Dunga with Keane. Keane too will hold, but he will do it in his own way. He is more dynamic, more energetic, more aggressive...than his predecessors. The addition of Hierro to the team will also mean that Keane carries less of a burden in terms of shielding the back four. He will play his natural game here - driving the team on, grabbing the game by the proverbial scruff of the neck, and prove a constant menace for any opponent who happens to be in possession near him.

The attacking midfielders who have served me so wonderfully thus far will both perform their usual roles: both Francescoli and Littbarski will roam freely, sometimes driving down the wing, sometimes cutting in, using their skills and intelligence to get involved wherever they'll make the biggest impact. They're licensed to roam, create and finish - as usual. But in the absence of Valderrama, who has been my main playmaker, I depend on these two to carry the heaviest creative burden - in terms of setting up the striker, in particular - a task they'll no doubt relish.

I will not mark Pirlo. I regard that as pointless. That doesn't mean he'll be left alone. Both Francescoli and Littbarski are hard workers who will always seek to interfere, intercept and be a general nuisance to the opposition. If anyone will hound Pirlo, it will be these two, but I stress again that I'm not taking any particular measures to stifle him.

Starting today is George Weah, often referred to as the greatest African player ever. And why not? He's a faster, more skillful version of Didier Drogba. A beast of a forward, in other words, who will lead the line in much the same way Ronaldo did for this team.

Overall:

Same as always. I'll play my game, not worrying too much about individual players on the other side. The noticeable changes from the last match, in terms of tactics, may be summed up like this:

a) More freedom for the fullbacks, i.e. more combinations between fullbacks and midfielders - possibly more crosses too, I talked to Moyesie earlier today and he insisted on the importance of the latter.

b) More creative responsibility for Francescoli and Littbarski.

c) The brand new role of Hierro. Regarding the latter I can add that it doesn't influence my set-up whether he will be regarded as a CB or a libero here: I'm on 10 TP points with him in the former, and 11 TP points with him in the latter, category.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Both teams are excellent, but both appear to have struggled to make any improvement on what they had before.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The positioning of Redondo may be just a little off and Pirlo may get exposed in that position, but given that Pirlo and Gattuso are so familiar with this formation and the GOAT quality of the back 4, it shouldn't be that much of a problem. I'm a big Savicevic fan and think he can 'do' both Robson and Cabrini/McGrath. I also think the technical quality of Pirlo-Redondo neutralises the pressing of Keane-Robson- I think they will be able to pass it out of midfield most times.

Kaka-Crespo is another proven lineup in a team full of them (back 4, Pirlo-Gattuso-Kaka-Crespo) and that's basically why I voted.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
There doesn't seem to be any real plan here to deal with Pirlo. I look well set up to control midfield proceedings with Gattuso clipping at Robson's heels all game, while Redondo will hope to make a mug of Keane again. I would hope to expose Chesters team out wide with Pirlo finding Cafu/Maldini bombing on, and linking up with Kaka/Savicevic infront of them.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Don't know why Cutch went with Redondo, when Rijkaard is available. Redondo for Milan was a bit meh.. But still a superb team.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I tend to agree, Pirlo-Rijkaard-Seedorf could've been magnificent.
Maybe for young voters, the Pirlo-Gatusso combo is well known. But agreed that yours is more interesting.

Personally, I'd go with Pirlo-Gatusso-Rijkaard. That midfield would win any battle. And Rijkaard is not just a mere hack-down-and-run-like-a-dog DM, so he's different than Gatusso, and an upgrade to Ambrossini.

Last edited:

VivaJanuzaj

Maybe for young voters, the Pirlo-Gatusso combo is well known. But agreed that yours is more interesting.

Personally, I'd go with Pirlo-Gatusso-Rijkaard. That midfield would win any battle. And Rijkaard is not just a mere hack-down-and-run-like-a-dog DM, so he's different than Gatusso, and an upgrade to Ambrossini.
Yeah he isn't the same as Gattuso, but he's a superb tackler and has brilliant positioning in defense, I'd argue he adds more in defense because he's more dimensional. I think with him, Seedorf's(who is extremely underrated in the caf) work rate, and Pirlo's intelligence, it would've been enough against pretty much any team defensively.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeah he isn't the same as Gattuso, but he's a superb tackler and has brilliant positioning in defense, I'd argue he adds more in defense because he's more dimensional. I think with him, Seedorf's(who is extremely underrated in the caf) work rate, and Pirlo's intelligence, it would've been enough against pretty much any team defensively.
I can see your point. But seems like Pirlo-Gatusso combo is one of Cutch winning cards, other than superb defence.

Moby

Dick
TBH I struggle to see where Chester's goals are coming from in this, as good as Weah was he wasn't a prolific scorer, the reason I was happy to keep him in my team was I never depended on him for goals, he wasn't even my second best goal threat. Here, he has the burden to get the winning goal and without even accounting Cutch's defense, it seems to me that Chester's attacks might lack the end product. Once you factor in Cutch's defense it gets worse, and if Weah is kept quiet - scoring wise - it will be a struggle for them to score, bar a Robson screamer or something from a set piece.

I see a bit more balance in Cutch's team in that regard, that there's ample creativity with at least two players in Kaka and Crespo who don't mind carrying the burden of scoring. I agree with Iso and vj that Rijkaard would have been the better choice here but at the same time Redondo brings better ability on the ball and can share the creative duties with Pirlo.

Overall I think both teams are set up well and it would largely suit their players but it's a tight game, and I see Cutch with a bigger possibility of getting that winning goal.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
TBH I struggle to see where Chester's goals are coming from in this, as good as Weah was he wasn't a prolific scorer, the reason I was happy to keep him in my team was I never depended on him for goals, he wasn't even my second best goal threat. Here, he has the burden to get the winning goal and without even accounting Cutch's defense, it seems to me that Chester's attacks might lack the end product. Once you factor in Cutch's defense it gets worse, and if Weah is kept quiet - scoring wise - it will be a struggle for them to score, bar a Robson screamer or something from a set piece.

I see a bit more balance in Cutch's team in that regard, that there's ample creativity with at least two players in Kaka and Crespo who don't mind carrying the burden of scoring. I agree with Iso and vj that Rijkaard would have been the better choice here but at the same time Redondo brings better ability on the ball and can share the creative duties with Pirlo.

Overall I think both teams are set up well and it would largely suit their players but it's a tight game, and I see Cutch with a bigger possibility of getting that winning goal.
I'm not going to vote yet but that's my frst impression too. Cutch has bolstered his side's creativity alot with Savicevic, whereas I fear Chester has sacrificed a huge amount of goal-threat and unbalanced his side a bit by upgrading an already strong central defence. Keane alongside Robbo is awesome of course, but it'll be a case of them competing on fairly even terms with Cutch's midfield trio rather than dominating them surely.

Annahnomoss

My first impression is that Hierro would be better of being a pure midfielder, not sure I've seen him play the libero role a lot and here Cutch is using just one striker. Of course in theory Hierro would then choose to just do the midfield role, as was the role of the libero, "free" as it means.

But he is going to lose you plenty of votes here I believe in comparison to if you play him in midfield. Robson, Keane and Hierro would be brilliant in the midfield and I would have Hierro as a rather offensive CM. He was a magnificent goal-scorer scoring 26 goals in his best season, which is a number Rooney has only reached 2 seasons in his career - and more than Scholes/Giggs/Gerrard ever reached. Feck, not even Maradona ever reached those figures in Europe. He was the free-kick and penalty taker, which is worthy of being noted.

It would be an absolute wall with Robson, Keane and Hierro in the midfield - can't see anything but outstanding positioning and defensive work from them.

For me Chester needs that source of goal desperately, his defensive four is enough to handle Cutch's tactically, as long as when Maldini and Cafu bombs forward the full-backs gets help. Of course the individual skill and connections may still prove too much in the end.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Seems like both managers managed to balls up their reinforcements.

Ronaldo was quite simply undroppable and didn't even need to be dropped to bring Keane on board. I agree Hierro wasn't necessary, may as well play him in a pair with Keano and push up Robbo onto Pirlo.

Redondo was only ever an option to prioritise defence by subbing off Pirlo, Seedorf should be on the pitch and Rijkaard was a no-brainer Gattuso upgrade even if people are familiar with Gattuso-Pirlo, Rijkaard is in a different planet to Gattuso altogether. Good choices in Savicevic and Costacurta, mind.

Overall Cutch has quite clearly improved on what was a worrying lack of options upfront, while Chester has dismantled the best frontline in the draft to shore up the midfield. Does he still have enough in his locker against that backline? It's a low scoring game, that's for sure now. :(

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Don't know why Cutch went with Redondo, when Rijkaard is available. Redondo for Milan was a bit meh.. But still a superb team.
Judge him on his peak form like with anyone else, not on when he was mostly injured for Milan.

It was a tough call between Redondo/Rijkaard but thought the former would dovetail better with my other midfielders. I like Gattuso in there assisting Pirlo and Cafu and Rijkaard-Gattuso would have been a bit too negative I feel. Redondo offers more on the ball and should link up well with Pirlo, and with Seedorf as per his Real days.

antohan

This is basically what my side has been modelled on.

The side that produced the most boring CL Final in living memory?

That's why you need Seedorf and someone less one-dimensional like Rijkaard. Savicevic adds a lot of much needed flair. I don't think Redondo is improving you much at all, if anything it gets me a bit miffed about the obvious lack of love for Seedorf (and he is probably miffed too!).

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I do think that Rijkaard-Pirlo-Seedorf would be the better choice from the available pool (+Redondo and Gattuso), agree that if you would have both Gattuso and Rijkaard on the pitch, with that defense, it would be overkill, while Cutches offense can be improved.

But just can't see Chester score here anyway. His offensive trio in the last round was brilliant and I was sad not to see Ronaldo on the pitch - Weah isn't prolific enough.

P.S. Schmeichel not in gk kit is disturbing :(

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Why no one went for Matthaus is a bit of mystery as well. Wasn't he available? He'd be a great update to Redondo and Keano as well, as he can actually score.

harms

Staff
Why no one went for Matthaus is a bit of mystery as well. Wasn't he available? He'd be a great update to Redondo and Keano as well, as he can actually score.
He doesn't fit Cutch's theme, played for the wrong Milan.
And genuine question - is he an update on Keane in the eyes of the caf-voters?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Judge him on his peak form like with anyone else, not on when he was mostly injured for Milan.

It was a tough call between Redondo/Rijkaard but thought the former would dovetail better with my other midfielders. I like Gattuso in there assisting Pirlo and Cafu and Rijkaard-Gattuso would have been a bit too negative I feel. Redondo offers more on the ball and should link up well with Pirlo, and with Seedorf as per his Real days.
Yeah. I don't doubt Redondo's quality, but you're using Milan's theme. I just think with the addition of Savicevic, you wouldn't need to worry about creativity. But it's just preference, though.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Well, in early stage, Matthaus went for about 80m, and Keano for a mere 40m (+-).

antohan

I don't think he would suit Cutch as well as Rijkaard TBH, but yeah, with Chester dropping Valderrama he was primed to get the best out of Matthäus instead of having two errr "pure box-to-box beasts". I guess Chester wanted to indulge himself putting them together. Fair fecks AFAIC, he already indulged me enough having that front four together for a couple of games :drool:

antohan

Yes, absolutely. It's not the goals though, I couldn't care less for that, prime Matthäus is EXACTLY what Chester could do with in that midfield. If I've ever seen a setup where prime Matthäus would thrive, this was it.

antohan

Yeah. I don't doubt Redondo's quality, but you're using Milan's theme. I just think with the addition of Savicevic, you wouldn't need to worry about creativity. But it's just preference, though.
I think you are right, the only role that suits prime Redondo in that setup is as an alternative to Pirlo. Luxury squad option to be a bit more defensively sound while not entirely sacrificing Pirlo's impact, nothing more. He is not the right fit for the wide diamond roles IMO.

Moby

Dick
Seems like Cutch has this in the bag. I'd go for Rijkaard if I were him. He's gonna be facing Maradona next and he needs someone like him IMO. And as anto said he would fit in a diamond better than Redondo, basically he'd do everything Gattuso would while providing a lot more in attack and overall technical ability.

harms

Staff
Yes, absolutely. It's not the goals though, I couldn't care less for that, prime Matthäus is EXACTLY what Chester could do with in that midfield. If I've ever seen a setup where prime Matthäus would thrive, this was it.
I agree that he would be better here, yes, and that he would thrive - but my question was about who you all call "scan-voters" actually, I was interested in that.

P.S. I, myself, don't really like Robson-Keano pairing that much, just like I didn't like Keane-Vieira pairing - I think that the team need only one player of that type - they wouldn't compliment each other. But I don't know, maybe it's only my preference

antohan

Seems like Cutch has this in the bag.
Yeah, it's a shame, I had finally cracked what problem I was having with Windows Movie Maker and managed to put together a more digestible/structured Enzo clip :( Hope you guys enjoy it anyway once I have it uploaded.

Poor Enzo. I can't possibly wish he had been born somewhere else, but certainly wish he had been born in another time, with a better supporting cast (or managers willing to play the right supporting cast).

That SAF quote is quite fitting, he was exemplary. Never have I seen a player keep up such a sustained battle against the odds single-handedly. An entire decade of getting kicked into lumps, surrounded by three players at any one time, passing the ball to absolute muppets who couldn't muster the most elementary 1-2 exchange...

I don't think I will ever see Uruguay win a World Cup in my lifetime, but I will always be honoured to have witnessed that one-man mission which somehow managed to produce silverware against the very best Argentina and Brazil had to throw at us, and so many memorable moments. Even amid the devastation of being pummelled by Denmark in '86 he kept going, like a man possessed, a shining beacon of hope that always meant you left a game with your head held up high and proud for your country.

Legend is easily thrown about, but rarely so fitting.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
My first impression is that Hierro would be better of being a pure midfielder, not sure I've seen him play the libero role a lot and here Cutch is using just one striker. Of course in theory Hierro would then choose to just do the midfield role, as was the role of the libero, "free" as it means.

But he is going to lose you plenty of votes here I believe in comparison to if you play him in midfield. Robson, Keane and Hierro would be brilliant in the midfield and I would have Hierro as a rather offensive CM. He was a magnificent goal-scorer scoring 26 goals in his best season, which is a number Rooney has only reached 2 seasons in his career - and more than Scholes/Giggs/Gerrard ever reached. Feck, not even Maradona ever reached those figures in Europe. He was the free-kick and penalty taker, which is worthy of being noted.

It would be an absolute wall with Robson, Keane and Hierro in the midfield - can't see anything but outstanding positioning and defensive work from them.

For me Chester needs that source of goal desperately, his defensive four is enough to handle Cutch's tactically, as long as when Maldini and Cafu bombs forward the full-backs gets help. Of course the individual skill and connections may still prove too much in the end.
A wee bit further forward and Hierro could do much of the same deep midfield dictating that Pirlo would be doing for Cutch. And no fecker would get through that midfield.

It's a shame Ronaldo has joined Jorginho in the canteen. He'd be good for a goal at least here.

antohan

I agree that he would be better here, yes, and that he would thrive - but my question was about who you all call "scan-voters" actually, I was interested in that.

P.S. I, myself, don't really like Robson-Keano pairing that much, just like I didn't like Keane-Vieira pairing - I think that the team need only one player of that type - they wouldn't compliment each other. But I don't know, maybe it's only my preference
As you say, scan-voters go for the names so those pairs "work", and Matthäus would also "work" albeit not worthy of being twice the price from a scan-vote perspective. The reason why Matthäus should fairly be twice the price is he would actually make that midfield work better, doing everything Keano does but also acting as the advanced playmaker that would make stopping that side akin to facing a runaway train with an ice-cream cone (had Ronaldo stayed, obviously). Strangely, Matthäus has never ever been deployed that way and, in fairness, at this stage you can't really expect scan-voters or otherwise to particularly rate him in that role. It's like some sort of willful collective amnesia that just regards him as a monster midfielder/one-man midfield concerned with the midfield "battle" and not the organisation/dictating of play.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
So, I see people love the upgrades, eh?

I think it's a bid odd that retaining Enzo and Pierre in their old roles - both being goal threats, especially the former naturally - and replacing Ronaldo with Weah, a striker who averaged nearly half a goal per match over the course of his career AND making sure the side backs, both of whom are excellent offensive instruments...that this suddenly makes me incapable of grabbing a goal. You'd think I'd replaced Ronaldo with a complete non-striker.

And the addition of Hierro apparently doesn't make me any less prone to concede goals either.

Ah, well - it was an idea. I had to do something. And, no, I couldn't have gotten Matthäus in - because that would mean losing Cabrini. And I simply didn't want to do that - not least because I actually thought he'd get some recognition here, where it was very clear that he could involve himself offensively with relative impunity.

This one's in the bag for Cutch, so it doesn't really matter what substitutions I make - but in the interest of not making a complete mockery of my own game by ending up with the exact same line-up I sported in the last match, I'm giving Popescu a chance here in a DM role.

Dunga in for Keano, Robbo slightly higher.

And the fat boy in, of course.

Also, I stated very clearly in the write-up that I wouldn't take any particular measures against Pirlo. He's not Maradona. And I wouldn't have taken special measures against Maradona either, for that matter. He won't be left alone, though. Littbarski and Francescoli will chase the ball around in precisely the area Pirlo occupies per default. They'll hound the fecker. He won't lounge about there, cigar in mouth, pinging balls east and west without anyone getting in his way. He'll be plenty disturbed - which is sufficient for me. I won't put a marker on Pirlo - that's not even overkill, it's just plain stupid.

Last edited:

antohan

A wee bit further forward and Hierro could do much of the same deep midfield dictating that Pirlo would be doing for Cutch. And no fecker would get through that midfield.

It's a shame Ronaldo has joined Jorginho in the canteen. He'd be good for a goal at least here.
Indeed, if you are playing Hierro you may as well bring him into the midfield proper. That's stalemate and a coin-toss as to which magician produces a goal.

antohan

And, no, I couldn't have gotten Matthäus in - because that would mean losing Cabrini. And I simply didn't want to do that - not least because I actually thought he'd get some recognition here, where it was very clear that he could involve himself offensively with relative impunity.
You could have instead of Keano. But yes, I think your best bet was keeping Ronaldo and dropping Cabrini to bring on Matthäus. I actually hadn't seen you guys had reinforced already when I wrote that last night.

I rate Cabrini, even said in the last game he was bound to have a better game than Carlos. Not that many Carlos fanbois would agree, but it was clear as daylight to me. But you quite simply don't drop Ronaldo to keep a fullback, let alone against a diamond with that backline. Play Viv Anderson at leftback for all I care but never ever drop Ronaldo. You went from having the most feared frontline and a "score more than you" approach to trying to nick a goal.

In a nutshell, play your last side against the one that started this game and it would win 9 times out of 10, it's that simple.

Again, not knocking you while you are down. If anything I'm grateful you put Enzo and Litti in a setup that made justice to them, something I probably would have never managed even if I tried.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Indeed, if you are playing Hierro you may as well bring him into the midfield proper. That's stalemate and a coin-toss as to which magician produces a goal.
Yeah, in hindsight I clearly agree with that. But that would've done something to my overall approach which I just don't like. Which means, all things said and done, that I'd been better off not even thinking about Hierro at all.

antohan

Yeah, in hindsight I clearly agree with that. But that would've done something to my overall approach which I just don't like. Which means, all things said and done, that I'd been better off not even thinking about Hierro at all.
Yups. If you wanted a bit more protection you already had Popescu, as you do here. It's a shame the votes piled up so quickly, makes it a mountain to climb even when that was quite clearly a 1-0 game and at this stage in the first half it could quite feasibly still be 0-0 and not 9-1 :(