Fantasy Draft - Semi Final #1: Rood vs The White Pele

Which fantasy draft team do you think would win semi-final #1?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
We are now into the last 4 of the Muppet Cup and at this stage the competition is wide open - who do you think should be the team to progress to the first ever Muppet Cup Final?

TEAM ROOD

VanDerSar
DaniAlves--Ferdinand--Terry--Baines
Khedira--Busquets
Ronaldo--Kaka--Giggs
Eto'o

Subs: De Gea, Berbatov, Carrick

VS

THE WHITE PELES

Casillas
Rafael--Gallas--Pique--Cole
Banega
Pirlo--VanDerVaart
Sneijder
VanPersie--Tevez

Subs: Lloris, Robinho, Malouda​

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I notice WP has changed his First XI and formation from the 1/4 Final - would say it has improved his line up but the formation looks a bit strange with VDV playing behind Sneijder

I did actually consider going with a different formation for this one as my midfield and forward line is easily adapted to either 4-4-2 (with Kaka pushed forward to support Eto'o) or 4-3-3 (with Giggs dropping into midfield) - but then I thought why change a winning team? :cool:

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Rood's team is balanced in almost every department. Easy winner I reckon.

The White Pele

Well this is going well...

Time to argue my case:

I think my midfield would bully Khedira and Busquets. Those two aren't the most creative duo and with my greater numbers I think I would win this battle. Van De Vaart and Sneijder would have license to swap positions, both popping up in the box. Pirlo and particularly Banega would be required to be more disciplined but both have the ability to create from deep. My full-backs can provide width though obviously with Ronaldo coming the other way I will probably rely more on Rafael than Cole to do this and I believe he would get some joy out of Baines.

Both my strikers have experience of moving into the wide areas and it will be crucial that one of them does this when I have possession as I lack natural width now that I have dropped my wingers. However, like I said both have experience of this; Tevez can beat a man and Van Persie can whip a ball across with great effect.

In terms of nullifying Rood's assets: my narrow midfield means Ronaldo will at times get 1v1, before my more offensive centre mids can get back or Banega can move across to help. This would be a much greater worry if my left back wasn't named Ashley Cole. Also, if he chooses to cut inside which is often his choice, I have bodies there to deal with it. Giggs on the other wing isn't the huge threat in the wide areas he used to be and will instead drift inside where I have enough numbers to try and quash his influence. Kaka hasn't been the difference maker he used to be for a long time now and I think Eto'o would have a tough afternoon up on his own against my 2 centre halves.

Vote for me. I will accept your pity.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
I only voted for The White Pele because of the ensuing landslide.

The White Pele

I only voted for The White Pele because of the ensuing landslide.
You're a kind man FortBoyard, a kind man.

Though you could have kept your reasoning to yourself as any attempt to spare my embarrassment has now failed.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
Well actually when I scrutinise it I prefer your strike force and the creativity of your midfield.

I'd say if you had another centreback to go with Pique and a better DM you'd be top of the pile. But a romantic part of me sees your team coming out on top anyway.

Ronaldo + Eto'o are liable to score just as much as Tevez and a fit Van Persie in a season.

Kaka is no longer the player he was, not in Sneijders class. Khedira is mainly just hype so I'm not entirely convinced about Rood's midfield, lacks a certain element of creativity for something akin to world 11.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
Oh yeah and Cole>>>>> Baines, Pique>> Terry, Rafael = Alves.

The White Pele

Well actually when I scrutinise it I prefer your strike force and the creativity of your midfield.

I'd say if you had another centreback to go with Gallas and a better DM you'd be top of the pile. But a romantic part of me sees your team coming out on top anyway.

Ronaldo + Eto'o are liable to score just as much as Tevez and a fit Van Persie in a season.

Kaka is no longer the player he was, not in Sneijders class. Khedira is mainly just hype so I'm not entirely convinced about Rood's midfield, lacks a certain element of creativity for something akin to world 11.
That's more like it! Securing yourself a vote for your semi-final with talk like that. I should have tried collusion a bit earlier. My team is the equivalent of the England World Cup bid.

Out of interest did you mean another centreback in place of Gallas or do you prefer him to Pique?

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
That's more like it! Securing yourself a vote for your semi-final with talk like that. I should have tried collusion a bit earlier. My team is the equivalent of the England World Cup bid.

Out of interest did you mean another centreback in place of Gallas or do you prefer him to Pique?

Sorry badly written I meant to replace Gallas, will correct it.

RK

TWP has no width. I'm sorry but there's a reason realistic formations don't look like that. Strong players though but I think Rood would take it.

MalteseRedDevil

White peles midfield may be more creative but it is incredibly lightweight. Pirlo van der vaart and sneijder offer nothing defensively and banega is decent at best.

Also your system means that you will not expose roods main weakness at full back.

The White Pele

TWP has no width. I'm sorry but there's a reason realistic formations don't look like that. Strong players though but I think Rood would take it.
I agree with you, in that I prefer formations with width. But the AC Milan side of the early to mid 2000s was very narrow and enjoyed a very successful and consistent period in the Champions league.

Aint gota Kalou

Roods team is much better balance wise. Lacking a bit of class in the middle but other than that it's great.

There's a reason why teams don't play a diamond, and the only time they do is if they have hard-working and mobile central midfielders. Instead he's just got 4 playmakers in there.

The White Pele

It wouldn't be such a strong side if you cnuts didn't massively overrate it!
I do think some of Roods players are being judged on their name rather than what they would potentially bring to a team now.

The quartet of Ronaldo, Kaka, Giggs, Eto'o looks mouthwatering but maybe we are guilty of imagining them together in their prime.

The Ferdinand-Terry partnership is maybe not as strong as it used to be either.

RK

I agree with you, in that I prefer formations with width. But the AC Milan side of the early to mid 2000s was very narrow and enjoyed a very successful and consistent period in the Champions league.
Fair point, I just think with Baines and Alves' attacking style you could exploit him out wide. Plus the Ronaldo factor, you might be leaving him 1-on-1 a fair bit.

The White Pele

Roods team is much better balance wise. Lacking a bit of class in the middle but other than that it's great.

There's a reason why teams don't play a diamond, and the only time they do is if they have hard-working and mobile central midfielders. Instead he's just got 4 playmakers in there.
True. I didn't pick these players initially with the intention of playing a diamond because to be honest I've never liked it as a formation. I much prefer Rood's formation and went with that in the first round but Malouda has lost form badly and Robinho hasn't reached the peaks he is capable of so the feedback I got from the first match was to bring in my subs. Had no width on the bench so had to switch really.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
No balance in The White Pele's midfield. 4 creative midfielders who won't do a great deal to win it back when they're not in possession.

The White Pele

Fair point, I just think with Baines and Alves' attacking style you could exploit him out wide. Plus the Ronaldo factor, you might be leaving him 1-on-1 a fair bit.
Even worse could be 2 v 1 with Alves overlapping :nervous:.

I suppose the counter plan would be to break with Van Persie pulling wide onto the left, dragging a centre-half out with him, and then attacking the space left in the middle with Sneijder and VDV.

K Stand Knut

I have gone with Rood for this for the simple, simple reason that his team is better in every area. Much more solid defence with better attacking options at both FBs. Khedira and Busquets, whilst not being fantastic are better than Pirlo and Banega who I think would be expected to do the same role as Khedira and Busquets. Then, finally, any attacking front 4 that contains Ronaldo, Kaka AND Eto'o with some support from Giggs is going to succeed.

I'd also back VDS to have a better game than Casillas.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Think Rood edges it, strong defensively bar the inclusion of Baines not to mention that defensive mid pairing. Think it's not that great creatively in central midfield due to Kaka's current form, but thats offset by the trio of Ronaldo, Giggs and Eto'o.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Away votes count double? :angel:
If you want!

I reckon you have picked decent players but havent managed to make a proper team - too many similar attacking options and lack of a defensive midfield has been your downfall.

The White Pele

If you want!

I reckon you have picked decent players but havent managed to make a proper team - too many similar attacking options and lack of a defensive midfield has been your downfall.
Yeah fair point. I think I would have given you a close run if I had got my wings right. My Van Der Vaart choice wasn't great in hindsight - picking a 4th central player when I could have hedged my bets more and chosen a 3rd winger. Even my 1st choice of Sneijder was a mistake. He was still available when it got round to me and I felt almost obliged to pick him after the season he had but if I had been more wise I would have chosen differently. It is not that difficult to think of 8 fantastic attacking central players, meaning I would have almost been guaranteed to get one, while it is more difficult to think of 8 top class wide players and with 2 positions to fill you end up having to compromise.

I think whichever team I chose out of the squad I selected would have lost in this vote; my first had the right shape but lacked quality, the second had better personnel but wasn't balanced. Credit to you for making a better fist of the draft.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I like this game. Wish it could be massive with 4 groups. Would take some time to pick the teams but it'll be way harder to think creatively down the line.

Chapster

this shouldn't this one-sided, people just seem to see ronaldo in the side and vote for him
tbf it is a very balanced team with alot of attacking firepower balanced by two very solid holding midfielders.

it was just a 'see ronaldo' thing, then messi's team would still be in it..

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
^^^Wot he said !

We are only halfway through the second half but this one is over so I'm bring on Carrick and Berba to give Giggs and Kaka a rest before the final ...

Status
Not open for further replies.