Fantasy Premier League 22/23

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Nah, Ive got a few drafts with three. Yes it means you have 3 good defenders instead of 4 and a MF downgrade but not sure the slightly better MF and Def outweigh a potential 250-300 point player.
I wonder what the math is on this. I know there are no certainties, but it would be interesting to look at the likes of Robertson/Cancelo and see how big a hit the third premium would need to be so make up for the deficit.

I just wouldn’t feel right knowingly fielding a 2-3 pointer every week, but I do wonder what the difference would be. Some of the defenders are 200 points almost guaranteed before you even get to what you could miss out on in midfield.

Sterling a consideration for anyone?
Definitely. Bruno/Sterling até potential 3rd cheaper premiums if they hit their heights under a better manager/having more games. I think I will try to have a 10 million space on my team for one.

Paul_Scholes18

Sterling a consideration for anyone?
I like that Leeds fixture thus I might remove Haaland or Salah to get him then and captain Sterling.

All depend on form though. Salah against us could still be worth having, but not going to captain him.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I wonder what the math is on this. I know there are no certainties, but it would be interesting to look at the likes of Robertson/Cancelo and see how big a hit the third premium would need to be so make up for the deficit.

I just wouldn’t feel right knowingly fielding a 2-3 pointer every week, but I do wonder what the difference would be. Some of the defenders are 200 points almost guaranteed before you even get to what you could miss out on in midfield.
Well one draft I have has 3 premiums and both those defenders (and rest of team is ok, one playing bench).

So the type of question for me is which will get more… (a) a premium plus a £6m or (b) two pretty good players. For example, KdB/Mbuemo or Sterling/Jesus? I’d go for the latter.

In the example of a premium/average defender, it’s something like (a) Kane/White v (b) Sterling/Laporte. That’s tough, Sterling kills it, you probably go (b) but if Kane continues his post Conte form, he could challenge Salah for top scorer.

There are loads of x and y vs a and b scenarios but you can definitely have three premiums and a decent team or two premiums and a well balanced team. key question is ”will third premium get me 80-100 points more to outweigh what I lose elsewhere?” (say Cancelo to White OR Jesus to Mbuemo.

And the answer is…….. no idea :) I’ll go with gut feel after some pre season games but I will consider three premiums.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Well one draft I have has 3 premiums and both those defenders (and rest of team is ok, one playing bench).

So the type of question for me is which will get more… (a) a premium plus a £6m or (b) two pretty good players. For example, KdB/Mbuemo or Sterling/Jesus? I’d go for the latter.

In the example of a premium/average defender, it’s something like (a) Kane/White v (b) Sterling/Laporte. That’s tough, Sterling kills it, you probably go (b) but if Kane continues his post Conte form, he could challenge Salah for top scorer.

There are loads of x and y vs a and b scenarios but you can definitely have three premiums and a decent team or two premiums and a well balanced team. key question is ”will third premium get me 80-100 points more to outweigh what I lose elsewhere?” (say Cancelo to White OR Jesus to Mbuemo.

And the answer is…….. no idea :) I’ll go with gut feel after some pre season games but I will consider three premiums.
I guess I've gone more premium in defense... I think TAA, Cancelo & James (plus Perisic) can be points galore...

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
No Chelsea fullback.

Sanchez
TAA Cancelo Trippier Perisic Cash
Salah Son Martinelli Neto
Haaland

Bench: fodder

Moby

Dick
No Chelsea fullback.

Sanchez
TAA Cancelo Trippier Perisic Cash
Salah Son Martinelli Neto
Haaland

Bench: fodder
Yeah that's one of the best drafts but I want three Liverpool also so could change it like this.

Allison/Ederson
Trent Cancelo/Robertson Trippier Perisic Tomiyasu
Salah Martinelli/Bruno Neto
Haaland Kane

I'd probably keep Ederson and Robertson.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
No love for premium gks? Most of you go with Raya and Sanchez who got 100 points last year instead 180p gks like Alisson and Ederson. If somewhere points are nailed then it is gks from City and Pool.

Sparky Rhiwabon

No love for premium gks? Most of you go with Raya and Sanchez who got 100 points last year instead 180p gks like Alisson and Ederson. If somewhere points are nailed then it is gks from City and Pool.
There doesn’t seem to be as much difference between keepers as for other positions. Also, if you get a City or Liverpool keeper, it limits the number of outfield players you can get from those teams.

ROFLUTION

Don’t understand why people have a playing bench. Ploughing all the money into the starting eleven is the best way to start the game, teams play once a week. You can always sort your bench out after your first wildcard.
exactly, and you can easier trade a KdB to two decent other options with two transfers. Its harder the other way around

ROFLUTION

i do like alisson, but depends on whether the remaining 50 pts over a year is worth that 1 mil more. Also limits your outfield options as Sparky said

Paul_Scholes18

Regarding playing bench. My friend had 5 injuries/suspensions in another fantasy game this week just after wildcard. Without a bench that is - 16 to fix potentially. There is a need for - 8 now just I think and keep the cheap injured players since the person got full playing bench.

If you have Liverpool players no worries as they never have injury issues.

I think over a season you probably avarage almost one player missing out per week roughly so one good bench player is key plus a 4.5 that plays.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Regarding playing bench. My friend had 5 injuries/suspensions in another fantasy game this week just after wildcard. Without a bench that is - 16 to fix potentially. There is a need for - 8 now just I think and keep the cheap injured players since the person got full playing bench.

If you have Liverpool players no worries as they never have injury issues.

I think over a season you probably avarage almost one player missing out per week roughly so one good bench player is key plus a 4.5 that plays.
The answer is Andreas, Williams & fodder

JakeTheRed

I may be crazy but for the first time in a long time I may actually go without Salah.

It allows for a really nice all-round team, still with good captaincy options:

Mendy - (Henderson)
TAA - Cancelo - James - Cash - (4.0)
Son - Luis Diaz - Bruno Guimaraes - Rashford - (Pereira)
Haaland - Jesus - (4.5)

My only gripe atm is Rashford & having a completely useless 4.5 striker as bench fodder.

Thoughts?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I may be crazy but for the first time in a long time I may actually go without Salah.

Mendy - (Henderson)
Haaland - Jesus - (4.5)

My only gripe atm is Rashford & having a completely useless 4.5 striker as bench fodder.

Thoughts?
It's the only real question. If it comes off (i.e. Son bangs and Salah doesn't) then you'll be out at the top on your own. If the opposite happens ... "hello darkness my old friend"

I think if you really wanna commit to the No Salah season then you might as well find a way to get Robertson or VVD in there as well and just sit on 2 defenders and Diaz.

Gawge

Mendy - (Henderson)
Haaland - Jesus - (4.5)

Thoughts?
Yeah, this is a good 'No Salah' and captaincy looks good. My concern would just be Diaz minutes, Liverpool could pop in a game, but I suspect there is a good chance of Diaz getting subbed/benched. But for £5.0 less, that's maybe a fair trade-off.

Cash a decent shout, presumably you look to transfer him somewhere GW4-6 given he needs to start?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Looking at the fixtures I would consider for captaincy over the first six weeks.

GW1 - Liverpool (ful), Spurs (SOU) Chelsea (eve).
GW2 - City (BOU), Liverpool (CRY)
GW3 - City (new), Chelsea (lee)
GW4 - Spurs (nfo), Liverpool (BOU), City (CRY)
GW5 - City (NFO), Liverpool (NEW)
GW6 - Liverpool (eve), Spurs (FUL).

Liverpool appear more than any other team.

You could still cover all those weeks with City + Spurs options, but then you're probably backing Haaland for captaincy in half those weeks without having seen him play for City yet? Or opting for Cancelo as an alternative captain. And hope that Salah doesn't hurt you in key weeks where he'll be the most captained player.

Seems easier to me just to start with Salah and work from there.

redcucumber

It's a tossup between Salah and Coutinho for 20m or Son and Luis Diaz for 20m for me. Really tough.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Looking at the fixtures I would consider for captaincy over the first six weeks.

GW1 - Liverpool (ful), Spurs (SOU) Chelsea (eve).
GW2 - City (BOU), Liverpool (CRY)
GW3 - City (new), Chelsea (lee)
GW4 - Spurs (nfo), Liverpool (BOU), City (CRY)
GW5 - City (NFO), Liverpool (NEW)
GW6 - Liverpool (eve), Spurs (FUL).

Liverpool appear more than any other team.

You could still cover all those weeks with City + Spurs options, but then you're probably backing Haaland for captaincy in half those weeks without having seen him play for City yet? Or opting for Cancelo as an alternative captain. And hope that Salah doesn't hurt you in key weeks where he'll be the most captained player.

Seems easier to me just to start with Salah and work from there.
Yep. Not to mention City are notorious for having points spread about the team and inevitably not on the player you've captained. Could be different with Haaland as a focal point but we still don't really know yet as you say. The more I think about it the more I like just having Kane in GW1 even if I do switch to Haaland in GW2. People will say it's booking in a transfer but I don't really mind that especially if I put the armband on him for that juicy home fixture which I might well do.

MUFC OK

For what its worth, I think the value lies in defenders with attacking potential. I think Jesus is a poor pick - 4.3 pts per match last season = 163 pts if he played all games.

At 8m you could downgrade to a 4.5 and have 3.5 to upgrade 4.5/5m defenders to defensive premiums. I'm going with 2 Liv, 2 City defenders + perisic/James. The difference between their points and a 4.5/5 is likely to be huge.

redcucumber

Agree with this logic, see my post above. Can still get Salah & Kane/Haaland and 2x 8.0m mids, a 5.5 and Periera.
The worry of having Haaland and two 4.5 bench fodders for the FWD positions is the risk that Haaland gets rested or rotated and you're left with 10 playing.

redcucumber

It's a tossup between Salah and Coutinho for 20m or Son and Luis Diaz for 20m for me. Really tough.
Thinking about it, there's no way I'm going for Coutinho to start. As of this moment, it's Son and Diaz. Looking at Salah's form for the second half of last season also influenced me somewhat..

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
For what its worth, I think the value lies in defenders with attacking potential. I think Jesus is a poor pick - 4.3 pts per match last season = 163 pts if he played all games.

At 8m you could downgrade to a 4.5 and have 3.5 to upgrade 4.5/5m defenders to defensive premiums. I'm going with 2 Liv, 2 City defenders + perisic/James. The difference between their points and a 4.5/5 is likely to be huge.
Jesus didn’t start every game for City. Poor comparison. He will be huge for Arsenal this year leading the line and playing almost every game.

Paul_Scholes18

This is my rating of players relative to cost how much confident I have in them performing early on.

Players I have high confidence in. TAA, Robertson, Allison Neto.

Players that I think are worth the risk with minutes etc. Haaland, Cancelo, Foden, Diaz, James/Chilwell, Perisic, Kulusevski.

Players that either fail big as picks or smash it as captains. Salah, Son, Sterling, Bruno, Jesus.

Potential pre season gems. Elanga, Rashford, Martinelli, Undav, Mateta, Pereira, Gordon, Nunez.

Players I think are pure avoids for me unless things change. Bruno G, Mitrovic, Coutinho, Mount, Maddison,Vardy.

MUFC OK

Jesus didn’t start every game for City. Poor comparison. He will be huge for Arsenal this year leading the line and playing almost every game.
Hence why I added his points per game rather than total points. Even if he scored 160 pts, which is basically the same as Ronaldo last season (18 PL goals), is that worth downgrading from premium defensive options to 4.5/5m's? I don't think it is.

When you say "huge for Arsenal" exactly how many points do you think he will score?

Moby

Dick
Not to mention City are notorious for having points spread about the team and inevitably not on the player you've captained
That's a good point. On paper I was looking at the City-Spurs captaincy rotation being better than Liverpool-City, but then no one in City is as nailed/fit/certain for pens etc as Salah.

Paul_Scholes18

So watching United soon.

Liverpools team is kind of crap and who cares.

Will see if Rashford and Shaw looks a bit better though than last year.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Hence why I added his points per game rather than total points. Even if he scored 160 pts, which is basically the same as Ronaldo last season (18 PL goals), is that worth downgrading from premium defensive options to 4.5/5m's? I don't think it is.

When you say "huge for Arsenal" exactly how many points do you think he will score?
Yes points per game includes the multiple sub appearances he had with no output. This will prolly be the first season he starts week in week out. Last time he had a run for City a couple of years he had double digit goals output.

Paul_Scholes18

We are defending as badly as last season vs B-team for Liverpool.

I guess the logical call is Salah again unless things change, but I do not want to captain him against us.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Yep. Not to mention City are notorious for having points spread about the team and inevitably not on the player you've captained.
Not when they had Aguero though…

When Aguero was fit and firing he was a Fantasy Footy legend.

Also if Haaland bangs his price will soar immediately and likely make it even more difficult to get him in.

Paul_Scholes18

Sancho playing well, but our fixtures aren't good enough I think to go for him.

Elanga will probably win the spot over Rashford with time.

HairyBack23

This is my rating of players relative to cost how much confident I have in them performing early on.

Players I have high confidence in. TAA, Robertson, Allison Neto.

Players that I think are worth the risk with minutes etc. Haaland, Cancelo, Foden, Diaz, James/Chilwell, Perisic, Kulusevski.

Players that either fail big as picks or smash it as captains. Salah, Son, Sterling, Bruno, Jesus.

Potential pre season gems. Elanga, Rashford, Martinelli, Undav, Mateta, Pereira, Gordon, Nunez.

Players I think are pure avoids for me unless things change. Bruno G, Mitrovic, Coutinho, Mount, Maddison,Vardy.
You have more confidence in Neto than 99% of FPL players? This is going to age hilariously