Gaming FAO Original Xbox Owners

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I'm sure a fair few on the caf have got original xbox's hidden away somewhere in a closet or a loft. You know, the one that looks like you can make a cheese toastie on it.

Your xbox is likely dying. If you want to use it again, there are a couple of things you need to do:

1) Capacitor

There is a defective capacitor on all over these boards which leaks acid and will eventually kill the board (it may have already done so).

This capacitor can be safely pulled out with disposable latex gloves and a pair of pliers on boards before and including 1.5 as the Xbox doesn't need it. On versions 1.6 it needs to be replaced.

2) Mod your Xbox and upgrade the hard drive.

The hard drive could be over 15 years old at this point and will likely be on it's way out. The DVD drive could well be already dead although may not be. Thankfully if the DVD Drive is dead, you can buy any original working xbox DVD drive and replace it.. but the HDD drive is coded to the xbox and you cannot replace it unless you hard-mod your xbox.

To hard-mod your console your probably want to soft-mod it first, then flash it. With 1.6 only certain soft-mods work. 1.6 boards do not have a TSOP chip so cannot be flashed, so need to be modchipped.

If your hard drive is dead you have to install a modchip.

Installing a modchip or flashing the TSOP chip requires soldering wires.

Then you can replace the hard drive with a new one or even a SSD, but you may need a SATA to IDE adapter. Replacing the DVD drive with a new drive is harder because there are only a few drives made that can read xbox discs (they spin backwards and read inside to outside), but you can just replace with any working xbox drive.

Why bother getting your xbox up and running again? Well there are a few games that ran better on xbox than any other version before or since, and a few xbox exclusives. There is also no working xbox emulator.

Spider-Man 2 - 480p mode on Xbox and it had better visuals on it anyway. (Does run on Dolphin and PCSX2 though)

TimeSplitters: Future Perfect - 480p Widescreen mode on Xbox. (Again there is a Dolphin and PCSX2 version, but timesplitters is all about the coach multiplayer.

And everyone mentions Jet Set Radio Future.

So, would you bother saving your xbox or is it not worth the while?

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
Surely you can just pick a new one up for 20 quid?

rcoobc

Surely you can just pick a new one up for 20 quid?
A new Xbox? Or a used Xbox?

You can get used Xbox's quite cheap.. anywhere from £5 to £40. But they are all going to die over time. (But then, so does everything).

rcoobc

Do other consoles not have that capacitor in?

Too deep, man.
I seems like any of the capacitors can go bad but this one in particular one definitely does. This capacitor was installed on some PCs. No idea about other consoles.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I seems like any of the capacitors can go bad but this one in particular one definitely does. This capacitor was installed on some PCs. No idea about other consoles.
Ah right.

I seem to be lucky with my consoles, all the 8 and 16 bit ones still work flawlessly. Only my PS3 has broke out of God knows how many consoles.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Ah right.

I seem to be lucky with my consoles, all the 8 and 16 bit ones still work flawlessly. Only my PS3 has broke out of God knows how many consoles.
My original series PS3 bricked it, probably only the thermal paste but I cba, my first PS4 shipped bricked, other than that, all have been fine previously as well.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
My original series PS3 bricked it, probably only the thermal paste but I cba, my first PS4 shipped bricked, other than that, all have been fine previously as well.
Was it the yellow light of death where it turns itself off right after you turn it on? That's what happened to mine. No idea how it is to fix, but I imagine PS3s can be found pretty cheap these days when I fancy playing some of my old games for it.

Adzzz

Staff
Was it the yellow light of death where it turns itself off right after you turn it on? That's what happened to mine. No idea how it is to fix, but I imagine PS3s can be found pretty cheap these days when I fancy playing some of my old games for it.
I'm not quite sure now, it was the one with the spiderman font :lol: as far as i can recall it just wouldn't turn on, no colours or beeps. I was lucky because I also already owned a slim at that point, the older one was simply a blu-ray player.

rcoobc

Time to get the hair drier out!

Except Louis Rossmann disagrees

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I'm not quite sure now, it was the one with the spiderman font :lol: as far as i can recall it just wouldn't turn on, no colours or beeps. I was lucky because I also already owned a slim at that point, the older one was simply a blu-ray player.
Ah right. That sounds more dead than mine was!

Time to get the hair drier out!

Except Louis Rossmann disagrees

I tried that a few/couple of years ago. I did it in the kitchen for about half an hour non stop. It felt like a bloody sauna in there after :lol:

Adzzz

Staff
Ah right. That sounds more dead than mine was!

I tried that a few/couple of years ago. I did it in the kitchen for about half an hour non stop. It felt like a bloody sauna in there after :lol:
I punished the poor fecker all through Uni :lol:

Flying_Heckfish

I somehow acquired 2 OG xboxs over the years. I did the softmod on both, keeping one for my game room and installed emulators on the other & gave it away as gift. Quite easy to do, if you have one lying around it's worth the effort.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I somehow acquired 2 OG xboxs over the years. I did the softmod on both, keeping one for my game room and installed emulators on the other & gave it away as gift. Quite easy to do, if you have one lying around it's worth the effort.
Does that make it region free? I bought THPS2x thinking I could play it on my 360, but original Xbox games are region locked on there too :(

Adzzz

Staff
:lol: I can imagine.

I kinda miss mine, I'll have to keep my eyes open for a decent deal, I can't keep buying the 360 version of a game I've already got every time I fancy playing it :lol:
Definitely should be some bargains out there for the slim models? Tons of fantastic games for it as well. Likewise for most of the good old consoles, Xbox being one of them.

Adzzz

Staff
Do the slim models keep PS1 backwards compatibility?
No, only the original one I think - something to do with the cell architecture or emulation chip being too much I think, again, can't quite remember though.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
No, only the original one I think - something to do with the cell architecture or emulation chip being too much I think, again, can't quite remember though.
Ah, I thought it was the PS2 that stopped at the earlier models.

The backwards compatibility for both the PS3 and 360 is really annoying and confusing :lol: