FAO xG Nerds

Moby

Dick
Absolutely, I’m not saying it wasn’t a bad miss, just from the talk after the game you’d think it was the miss of the century, which I think is going a little overboard.
Yeah it was still a fast paced ball and it can happen. For example the one Torres missed vs United was worse than this, even if his shot wasn't as close to goal as this one.

Tarrou

No, xG also takes into account the position of the opposing players, the type of pass that leads to the chance, which body part it is attempted with, and so on. It is much more detailed than simply the position of the shot.
Thanks for the info

That sounds like a tonne of work to sort out

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Bad miss - but Haaland's is way worse

Again, no chance that players miss a chance like that every 3.5 out of 10 times.
Yeah, they're usually generous with their evaluations but they seem to have gone against the grain on this one. Their only defence is that even the commentators on my stream mentioned that the way Haaland tried to finish it made it more difficult than it should be. It's true to a degree because if you pause it at the moment he makes contact, you can't see how he can keep it down with that body stance.

The video is restricted in my area. If it helps, Understat says it's in the 81st minute.