Far Right Judiciary In the USA

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
With news of the US Supreme Court being more frequently characterized as making decisions that are far more politically motivated than focused on legality, maybe it's time to analyze where America is going with this increasingly polarized judiciary. The top court in the US is set to make decisions on abortion and gun rights in this current session of the Supreme Court of the US (SCOTUS), this thread should technically have a separate thread apart from US Politics. While US politics play a significant role in shaping the tone of how judges interpret the law, legislation which has become more radicalized makes it easier for courts to rule on issues that are unthinkable.

I've spent the past 3 days before posting this trying to consider if I should try and post this in the threads of US Politics, American Civil War, or search for a Racist Americans but this is a unique issue dealing with a unique institution that is supposed to rise above the political fray to protect the integrity of society.

My inspiration for this thread is the case of a man named Jared Lafer who plowed through Black Lives Matter protesters in his vehicle breaking the legs of two people in Tennessee. Mr. Lafer not only committed what some might call a racist motivate hit and run, he then fled across state lines to North Carolina.

Quote from an Op-Ed
By Leonard Pitts Jr
Tribune/Baltimore Sun

" It is impossible to separate this from a spate of laws recently passed or under consideration in Republican fiefdoms to protect motorists who drive through — or over — protesters. But more broadly, what happened here is reflective of what is happening in this country as it abandons the process of seriously grappling with its heritage of racial oppression, and with the effort to repair the damage thereof, that began in the civil rights years. We have slid from that lofty peak of aspiration and idealism to this marshy ground of delusion and lies where many white people now firmly believe they are the true victims of racial oppression, where it is a matter of controversy just to declare that Black lives matter, where Jared Lafer walks free."

https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinio...0211004-4tbigm4qxfbhrowoomjtps7yua-story.html

What's particularly alarming about the far right politicians creating laws that grant radicals to plow through protesters with their vehicles is that it wasn't that long ago that neo-Nazi James Fields Jr killed a woman in Charlottesville, NC and injured dozens of others. Fields was sentenced to life in prison in 2019.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
We will suffer from a far right judiciary for at least a generation, perhaps two, especially at lower levels where people are quite impacted.

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
Here's an interesting link, granted it's 3 years old although still somewhat relevant as the Supreme Court of the US is now 3 - 6 in favor of far right judges.

In considering the political appointments by party, it would be a mistake to assume that all of the Democrat appointments do not have fascist leaning radical views. I spent several years as a journalist covering court hearings involving police brutality and protester arrests in Baltimore, MD. The state of Maryland is mostly a left leaning state, but I witnessed cops lying on the stand in almost every hearing. The judges never flinched at clear and obvious perjury at the trials I attended. Every once in a while they get in trouble, but was something shocking for me to have seen happen so often.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/05/politics/judiciary-by-party-courts-judges-us/index.html