Favourite match or moment against the divs?

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Let's get some pre derby day positivity flowing.

What's your favourite memory against city?

Think mine is this.
We weren't playing particularly well at the time. Rio had just been banned and we were looking shaky.

OT was bouncing. The performance in the second half (with ten men) was amazing.

Big Andy

Bloke
The Michael Owen 4-3 game will never be topped. Just fecking bedlam at the end. From absolute despair at giving up the draw to ecstasy. Bonus points for it being after the allotted time added on as well.

Chumpsbechumps

Has to be my first game at old Trafford 1992, Eric Cantonas debut. There’s been better games but none more memorable for me.

black country red

Enjoyed quite a few when United have won but 93/94 at Maine road was especially brilliant just been knocked out of the champions league by galatasary when the king had been sent off the bitters was loving it when they went 2 0 up singing by by Cantona then he decided enough was enough and just took the piss out of them scoring 2 his self and making the winner for keano shut them up big style what a day vive le roi

Reactions: Rood

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
The Michael Owen 4-3 game will never be topped. Just fecking bedlam at the end. From absolute despair at giving up the draw to ecstasy. Bonus points for it being after the allotted time added on as well.
That was a good one. Special mention to the one at the end of that season. Last minute Scholes winner!

RVN1991

Rooney bicycle kick. Owen winner a close second.

WFRed

Agreed. Was sat front row at Stretford End and remember the guy next to me just grabbing and hugging me, people bouncing all over the place. I don't think I've ever experienced a feeling or an atmosphere like that at a game since.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Great shout from the OP with the 4-2. I was to young to really comment but it's widely known as the last 'old school' atmosphere in K stand.

Obviously the Owen 4-3, I nearly lost a limb.

A slightly forgotten one - beating them 3-1 in the Carling Cup semi second leg. Tevez equalised when he was public enemy number one. One of the best modern atmospheres at Old Trafford. Booted off all over the place after the home and away leg*

*I do not condone this.

Pickle85

The Owen winner takes some beating. Rooney's overhead was a breath snatcher but Owen's, given how late and how poised the game was, takes it by a nose for me

Cloud7

The Michael Owen goal was the one for me. Second was the RVP free kick goal that won it against them. Third the Rooney bicycle kick.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Surprised Van Persie's last minute free kick hasn't been mentioned. Huge moment in the title race as it felt like it sealed title number 20 in December. Made all the more sweeter by the fact that they thought they'd clawed back a draw after being 2-0 down.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Was in a Manchester hotel with my football team and cheered a bit too much when Eric scored his second. We got chased back to the Midland hotel by City fans and the bouncer just put leather gloves on and said in you go lads I've got this.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Kanchelskis hat-trick match in 1994 when we won 5-0.

It's a sentimental one in a way. First of all I was there which makes a difference.

Second it felt like revenge plus going one better in not conceding for the 5-1 defeat at Maine Road in '89. We progressed so much over those 5 years.

Third I was 15, life was good.

miked99

Was in a Manchester hotel with my football team and cheered a bit too much when Eric scored his second. We got chased back to the Midland hotel by City fans and the bouncer just put leather gloves on and said in you go lads I've got this.
Wow. He took on both of them?

M Bison

Supports
York City
Let's get some pre derby day positivity flowing.

What's your favourite memory against city?

Think mine is this.
We weren't playing particularly well at the time. Rio had just been banned and we were looking shaky.

OT was bouncing. The performance in the second half (with ten men) was amazing.
Great watch this, reminds of times when we had a team full of players that fought for the badge, lack of quality was more than made up for in heart and desire. How many in that team would NOT get in our current team? Would P Nev be our best CM, Fortune our best LB? Difficult to see it otherwise.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Van Persie's winner. Felt like a bit of redemption from the season before

ExecutionerWasp001

The 3-2 win at the Council House in Pep's second season was a big 1. They'd already basically won the league but we denied them the once in a lifetime opportunity to crown it, against us. They were so confident that they'd had memorabila made to mark the occasion which all ended up in landfill. The icing on the cake was that Sky had devoted extra programming for the celebrations & they ended up having to talk about a Utd win.

Frank Grimes

I missed the Owen goal because time was up and the ball went out of play so I headed to kitchen to get my Sunday dinner. About 2 minutes later I hear my father and sister celebrating, couldn't believe they were still playing.

I loved RVP's last minute winner because it was such a vital game and a huge psychological blow in the title race.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Yeah Kanchelskis hat-trick 5-0 for me too

BuzzKillington

March 1993 at Maine road. My first away game and my first derby. Got tickets for the home stand using stubs I got off a city supporting mate. I was only 15 at the time and was shitting myself thinking I was going to give myself away and get battered. City took the lead with a Niall Quinn goal and the Bertie’s went mad. I remember it kicking off all around the ground.

Enter Eric and an equaliser in the goal at the end I was in, the other half of the City stand I was in went fecking mental as did I, completely forgot where I was, luckily there was safety in numbers. Great memory if not a great result.

City 1 - 1 United

Moriarty

There are so many. September 30, 1967 at Maine Road. My birthday present from my brother was a match ticket. Bell scored after 5 minutes which shook us up a bit but then Bobby took the game by the scruff of the neck and scored two goals to put us into the lead before half time. The game livened up when Stan Bowles, making a rare appearance for City, took a lump out of Brian Kidd who responded with a punch. Both players went into the book and the game petered out.

September 27, 1975. Back in the old First Division and a bunch of reds bought tickets from White and Swales and so ended up in the blue half of the Kippax. All went down in the first half. Jimmy Nicholl put through his own goal before David McCreery and Lou Macari put us ahead. Joe Royle equalized after 31 minutes and that was the end on the on-field action.

January 24, 1970. Wilf was in charge for our 4th round cup tie. 63,000 all ticket crowd and City were confident of victory. Malcolm Allison was mouthing off in the MEN about how they would rub our noses in it but the game was a tense affair until just before half time when Bobby broke into the City area and was brought down by Glyn Pardoe. Willie Morgan slotted the penalty past Mulhearn for a 1-0 half-time lead. 2nd half and United attacking the Stretford End. Stepney punted the ball up the pitch. Bobby ran down the middle but Brian Kidd outstripped Tommy Booth to score our second. A few minutes later and a Francis Lee free kick was charged down. The ball flew into the empty City where Kidd chased it down, chipped the keeper and it was 3-0.

The Fergie years saw may great derbies but the ones from my school days and college days stand out in the memory. The city was divided and the days leading up to the game were electric. Bobby has gone and many of my derby memories featured the great man and how he loved to beat City. I hope we can win one for him this time round.

Charlie Foley

Many of the ones mentioned here: both home games in 09/10 were great. The 1-0 at the end of that season is tarred with being so close to us losing the title sadly.

RVP deflected winner 2012 was incredible.

4-2 under LVG. Felt like we had really worked something out.

one I’ve not seen on here is the 1-0 at their place in 2007. Huge step towards winning the title. Michael Ball got away with a clear stamp on Ronaldo that he was subsequently banned for, one of the most blatantly intentional stamps you could ever see. Ball then gave away the penalty Ronaldo scored, then later ‘won’ a penalty that was saved by VDS.

the 1-0 away in 08/09 when Rooney tried to score from the halfway line and Joe Hart ran back in time to save it for a corner is probably the most wholesome Manchester derby moment I can remember.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Lots of them really. Though, because of the circumstances (last "normal" match before COVID shut the world down) I'll throw in a random match that might not get a mention normally - 19/20 season - we won 2-0 at OT in March 2020. McT scored our second deep in extra time and sent us all home happy.

When we returned to OT we'd lost a lot of people, some close to us, some further way. But that match was the last day of "normal" for a lot of us and a lot of people seemed to be saying au revoir that day. In sporting terms - always nice beating City especially when the press were giving us zero chance.

CallyRed

Favourite has to be the 3-2 comeback at Maine road. Niall Quinn had put Citeh 2-0 up, Cantona equalised following an outrageous pass by Giggs. Keane then completed the comeback.

Last edited:

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Favourite has to be the 3-2 comeback at Maine road. Niall Quinn had put Citeh 2-0 up, Cantona equalised following an outrageous pass by Giggs. Keane then completed the comeback.
Mine too! Was that the Sunday after we went out of Europe to Galatassaray? Think it was.

Swedish_Plumber

Surprised Van Persie's last minute free kick hasn't been mentioned. Huge moment in the title race as it felt like it sealed title number 20 in December. Made all the more sweeter by the fact that they thought they'd clawed back a draw after being 2-0 down.
This one for me. Was in my first year at uni and screamed the place down, shouting out the windows. Good times.

Should’ve been 3-0 up in that game, perfectly good AshleyYoung screamer chalked off for offside IIRC.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Can't beat the 4-3 Owen winner as a single moment for me.

Was right behind the goal and it was pure bedlam when that went in.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
There are so many. September 30, 1967 at Maine Road. My birthday present from my brother was a match ticket. Bell scored after 5 minutes which shook us up a bit but then Bobby took the game by the scruff of the neck and scored two goals to put us into the lead before half time. The game livened up when Stan Bowles, making a rare appearance for City, took a lump out of Brian Kidd who responded with a punch. Both players went into the book and the game petered out.

September 27, 1975. Back in the old First Division and a bunch of reds bought tickets from White and Swales and so ended up in the blue half of the Kippax. All went down in the first half. Jimmy Nicholl put through his own goal before David McCreery and Lou Macari put us ahead. Joe Royle equalized after 31 minutes and that was the end on the on-field action.

January 24, 1970. Wilf was in charge for our 4th round cup tie. 63,000 all ticket crowd and City were confident of victory. Malcolm Allison was mouthing off in the MEN about how they would rub our noses in it but the game was a tense affair until just before half time when Bobby broke into the City area and was brought down by Glyn Pardoe. Willie Morgan slotted the penalty past Mulhearn for a 1-0 half-time lead. 2nd half and United attacking the Stretford End. Stepney punted the ball up the pitch. Bobby ran down the middle but Brian Kidd outstripped Tommy Booth to score our second. A few minutes later and a Francis Lee free kick was charged down. The ball flew into the empty City where Kidd chased it down, chipped the keeper and it was 3-0.

The Fergie years saw may great derbies but the ones from my school days and college days stand out in the memory. The city was divided and the days leading up to the game were electric. Bobby has gone and many of my derby memories featured the great man and how he loved to beat City. I hope we can win one for him this time round.
Great post. My old man always talks about the League Cup game in 74/75 when we were in the 2nd division as his favourite.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Great watch this, reminds of times when we had a team full of players that fought for the badge, lack of quality was more than made up for in heart and desire. How many in that team would NOT get in our current team? Would P Nev be our best CM, Fortune our best LB? Difficult to see it otherwise.
I was only fairly young but just remember the ground being almost venomous at times. Very few grounds can beat OT when it's like that.

As for the players, Phil Neville rarely let us down.

I think this was also the game when you knew Ronaldo was gonna make it. Sure he was still inconsistent at times after this but he turned up in a game where the defenders were aiming to kick him over the North Stand and he kept at it.

What a day

CallyRed

Mine too! Was that the Sunday after we went out of Europe to Galatassaray? Think it was.
You could be right. Think Cantona got sent off that game.
As much as we dominated the 90s domestically, god we were shite in Europe (until 99, obvs)