Favourite One Hit Wonder

diarm

Obviously since football was created in 1992, there have been a number of great sides to grace the league. Fergie had a few of them, Jose had a couple, Wenger and more recently Pep have both managed sustained success with a truly great side.

I'm not interested in them - we all know plenty about the big guys. There have been 3 one hit wonders in Premier League history - 3 sides who overcame the odds and achieved more than anyone would've thought possible:
  • Jack Walkers expensively assembled outfit in 94/95, who relied on the goals of Shearer and Sutton to storm the league in it's early days.
  • Leicesters incredible effort under Ranieri in 15/16, where the heroics of Kante, Mahrez and Vardy endeared the Foxes to us all.
  • Klopps Liverpool media darlings of 19/20, who capitalised on a covid ravaged season to land a first title for scousers since most of us were in nappies.
Who was your favourite? Who overcame the biggest odds, where did they all go so right and then so wrong, and whose failure to sustain their success was the most disappointing?

Basically, who's your Chumbawumba, who's your Eagle Eyed Cherry and who's your No Mercy of the Premier League era?

Got to be Leicester hasnt it?

Came from nowhere, won it, then went back to nowhere the season after.

They avoided relegation by the skin of their teeth the season before after having spent half the season rock bottom, and the season after spent almost the entirety in the bottom half of the table.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
For a tiny club like Liverpool to win the league by the margin they did was a great achievement.

Really punched above their weight, even if it was for the briefest time.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Leicester were the ultimate one season wonder, Blackburn at least had a couple of other seasons in and around it, and Liverpool did narrowly miss out to an almost perfect City the season before and snag the Euro cup, after a few seasons building swiftly.

diarm

For a tiny club like Liverpool to win the league by the margin they did was a great achievement.
That's kind of my feeling as well. For all those fans who grew up hearing about the glory days of their historic teams back when everything was in black and white, it was an incredible story for them to scale those giddy heights once more. They'll have stories to keep them going for the next 30 years.

diarm

Maybe favourite was the wrong word to use in the title.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Leicester's win was nothing but feelgood vibes. I can't imagine anyone not smiling at their title win. To top it off, they did this, which was beautiful.

Also, dilly ding, dilly dong. :lol:

dinostar77

Outside of PL? Parma of the mid 1990s. A consistent umderdog till parmalat went bankrupt.

el3mel

I ended up cheering for Leicester to win it this season. It looked like a fairy tale and I wanted it to really happen.

Siorac

Has to be Leicester in the Premier League. Liverpool's plucky minnows deserve some credit but in the end that season will always have an asterisk.

Outside the PL, my vote would go for Kaiserslautern 1997/98. They got promoted to the Bundesliga in 1997, won the league instantly, and got as far as the CL quarter-finals in 1999. And then they almost went bankrupt and sank back into obscurity.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Has to be Leicester in the Premier League. Liverpool's plucky minnows deserve some credit but in the end that season will always have an asterisk.

Outside the PL, my vote would go for Kaiserslautern 1997/98. They got promoted to the Bundesliga in 1997, won the league instantly, and got as far as the CL quarter-finals in 1999. And then they almost went bankrupt and sank back into obscurity.
100% agree on both. Blackburn were bankrolled to their title while Liverpool are a historically great side and were expected to do well after challenging City to the end the previous season. Leicester's win was just incredible in how unexpected it was and also the style with which the team played throughout the season.

Kaiserslautern as well, I didn't watch German footy then but remember in the mid 2000's they were considered a big club and when they got relegated (in 2005 I think), it was a huge shock.

tomaldinho1

I love how this thread's purpose is to laugh at Liverpool :lol:
Leicester's is miles better though, they truly did something miraculous. Liverpool's only success was the CL, their PL was a PL*, as this years will also be a PL* due to covid. Not their fault but we've had two freak season with some teams getting loads of breaks and others getting run ragged by fixtures.

Also should mention teams who punched above their weight consistently but didn't win anything like Big Sam's Bolton or Hodgson's Fulham who lost in the EL final to Atletico.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
the only correct answer is Leicester. Had no right to win a league. I get that upsets happen in cup competitions because there is luck plays a big role but it's tough to win the league.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Shout out to Montpellier for winning Ligue 1 in 2011/12. My only awareness of them at the time was the youtube prankster Remi Gaillard who supported them.

Oldyella

Really punched above their weight, even if it was for the briefest time.
Agreed. Doesn't everyone like a plucky underdog story where some no hoper appears from nowhere to win before inevitably fading back into obscurity?

Oranges038

Obviously since football was created in 1992, there have been a number of great sides to grace the league. Fergie had a few of them, Jose had a couple, Wenger and more recently Pep have both managed sustained success with a truly great side.

I'm not interested in them - we all know plenty about the big guys. There have been 3 one hit wonders in Premier League history - 3 sides who overcame the odds and achieved more than anyone would've thought possible:
  • Jack Walkers expensively assembled outfit in 94/95, who relied on the goals of Shearer and Sutton to storm the league in it's early days.
  • Leicesters incredible effort under Ranieri in 15/16, where the heroics of Kante, Mahrez and Vardy endeared the Foxes to us all.
  • Klopps Liverpool media darlings of 19/20, who capitalised on a covid ravaged season to land a first title for scousers since most of us were in nappies.
Who was your favourite? Who overcame the biggest odds, where did they all go so right and then so wrong, and whose failure to sustain their success was the most disappointing?

Basically, who's your Chumbawumba, who's your Eagle Eyed Cherry and who's your No Mercy of the Premier League era?

All that and no mention of Chesney Hawkes, the shame.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Agreed. Doesn't everyone like a plucky underdog story where some no hoper appears from nowhere to win before inevitably fading back into obscurity?
Yes but there was too much fanfare and over the top talk when Liverpool had their one hit season, no matter how plucky they were.

I enjoyed the narrative around leicesters win, dilly ding dilly dong, felt more of an occasion.

Njord

Both Liverpool and Leicester did well to punch above their weight, but, for me, Leicester edges it as they did it in a "normal" season. With the effect of Cocid-19 the season Liverpool won it was doomed to produce some unpredictable results.

given I despise Liverpool, and equally dislike Kenny Dagliesh... then the answer is obvious.

I would expect every United fan to feel the same way.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I know they were/are a consistent top club but I always have a huge fondness for Capello's championship winning AS Roma of 2001.

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Outside of England: Schalke‘s 4 minute title reign in 2001.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Liverpool wasn't a one-season wonder, they made two CL finals in 3 seasons, and finished 2nd with 97 points the season before they won it.

Basso

Deportivo La Coruna! Came from nowhere and signed a few top class Brazilians in the early 90s. Should have won the league in 94 but did it in 2000. Now back in the Spanish third tier.