Favourite United Constellations (that means partnerships, trios etc)

Grande

Watching the opener last Friday against Leicester, it struck me that what stirred my interest the most was the positive tendencies for a couple of new constellations in the side:

Pogba - Pereira - Fred was one, and
Lindelöf - Bailly the other.

I’ve seen all the players before, but it was their interplay, interpositioning etc that struck me as interesting and promising, more than the fact that Fred is a new player etc. Now before we know it, Matic and Smalling is back in the side, but it got me thinking, what are some of my favorite patnerships or other constellation that I’ve watched for United.

Of course I’ve read about the cooperation between Charlie ‘The Ghost’ Roberts and Billy ‘Welsh Wizard’ Meredith before WWI, and the Busby Babes, and even seen a bit of footage of the legendary Charlton - Best - Law that made MSN and BBC seem like some social media acronyms.

But what about others? Three I remember of the top of my head:

Cantona - Solskjær: The Norwegian youngster was meant to be a bench option, but he at once struck a telepathic relationship with the talismantic Roi. Solskjær would make the runs Cantona dreamed off, Eric would hit the perfect through balls for Ole Gunnar before he’d even started. It was the beginning of a dream completing itself two years after the Frenchman put his boots on the wall.

Beckham - Giggs: Not a classic ‘partnership’ but they would complement each other perfectly. Giggs would push up, with speed, or work home just as quickly, Becks would be deadly already from deep and had shorter way home if we last the ball. Giggs would come down to the line to cut back, Becks would cross from out wide, Becks would cut in to shoot deadly from 30 yards out, Giggs would go behind the defence to score from the renound. Giggs would dribble and get fouled, Becks would score from the resulting free kick. They were core of the never say die attitude and were both involved in the goals that made the Germans cry. But the most beautiful part, and I once watched this from the perfect position in the Nort Stand, upper tier: Becks dragging a sublime 60 yard diagonal cross from his own half and Giggs, full throttle, chested it down to leave yet another defence in tatters and square it in to some forward, in this case I believe it was Cole.

Schmeichel - Bruce - Pallister:
I’ll throw In the Great Dane, because when all three where present, few dared play against them. Bruce and Pallister, one was leader, the other was tall and quick, one tough and decisive, the other could play the ball out with precision. The read each other like books in the end, and the times were one was a bit too slow and the other too slow off the mark, Peter was already far off his line to quash the hapless opposition striker. Tje only one who could scare either CB, was the vocal keeper cum drummer, and on the few occasions where it wasn’t Bruce or Pally who headed in the crucial goal in extra time, it was Schmeichel going those few extra steps off his line to nod the ball in (or as he did ar Camp Nou - beat three Müncheners to the header and the rest is history.)

What are your favourite United Constellations?

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Pairings/combos of players?

Yorke/Cole
Vidic/Ferdinand

Less obvious and only really for one or two games, but Kagawa/Mata somehow looked like a silver lining when everything went to shit under Moyes.

Edit: FFS @Rood

Vanrouge

I kind of get it because partnerships only works for two players and this can be three or perhaps even more. So, group of stars = constellation. Makes sense.

el3mel

Rooney and Ronaldo. When both were young they were both absolute joy to watch. These days were great.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Giggs - Moyes - Phil Neville - Steve Round

:drool:

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Most of the good ones have been mentioned, but
Valencia - Bald Rooney for one or two seasons :p

Grande

Yorke and Cole

Rio and Vidic
Yea, I thought of both of those. Yorke/Cole at their best were also telepathic.

I’d be tempted to include them all :
VDS - Neville - Rio - Vida - Evra

I kind of get it because partnerships only works for two players and this can be three or perhaps even more. So, group of stars = constellation. Makes sense.
Exactly! :)

Scholes Keane.
Am I doing this right ?
Yes!

I'd add Tevez even. Those three had an understanding.
The three were hell to defend against, work rate, intensity, technique, speed, finishing. Sad about Tevez.

Giggs - Moyes - Phil Neville - Steve Round

:drool:
:lol:

99withaflake

The best "United Constellation" I've ever seen:

We've had lots of partnerships which have worked brilliantly together, but with these two, it was like they could read each other's minds.

Fosu-Mens

Favourite pairing in todays squad has to be the deadly right side duo of Mata and Darmian.

Favourite historical duo has to be either Rio and Nemanja or Yorke and Cole.

Grande

Favourite pairing in todays squad has to be the deadly right side duo of Mata and Darmian.

Favourite historical duo has to be either Rio and Nemanja or Yorke and Cole.
As right sides go, Neville and Beckham had a very good understanding of each other. Which was important because Neville was a brave hard worker always around in attack, but couldn’ dribble or cross at all. Combining with Becks in one-twos and overlaps, he set Becks up to cross with as little pressure as possible.

And when Pretty Boy didn’t do his defensive duties ardently enough, Gaz gave him a right bollocking.

99withaflake

As right sides go, Neville and Beckham had a very good understanding of each other. Which was important because Neville was a brave hard worker always around in attack, but couldn’ dribble or cross at all. Combining with Becks in one-twos and overlaps, he set Becks up to cross with as little pressure as possible.

And when Pretty Boy didn’t do his defensive duties ardently enough, Gaz gave him a right bollocking.
Pretty Boy :lol: Yes, his hair looked very nice, but he was also one of the hardest working United players at the time. Ran his absolute socks off. You're right though - Neville did give him a bollocking now and again!

SER19

Perhaps one of the most disappointing was one we saw flashes of. In another era a trio of Keane veron scholes would have been truly dominant. I think keane had just began to decline a little and veron didn't settle- though the extent to which he flopped is often exaggerated.

Agree with op- while not a traditional partnership; the years of basically knowing giggs and beckham were on the flanks were a joy.

In terms of more under the radar, was it 01/02 solskjaer and van nistelrooy looked good?

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Pretty sure you mean the word combinations because you can't just take a word and use it for something else just like that.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Bruce Pallister
Vidic Rio
Neville Beckham
Irwin Giggs
Keane Scholes
Cole Yorke
Rooney Ronaldo

Can7onA

Neville - Beckham
Beckham - Ruud