[FCUoM] FC United announce international friendly match with Detroit City FC in May 2016

mickthered

FC United will visit Detroit, Michigan, in the USA next year to play an international friendly match against Detroit City FC on Saturday 28 May 2016. The match has been organised to celebrate the Michigan club’s ground-breaking campaign to refurbish the city’s historic Keyworth Stadium with a community investment scheme.

The link with Detroit City FC has come about through an FC United member who opened up a dialogue with DCFC about FC United and our values as a supporter-owned club. Detroit City FC are long-term admirers of FC United and the club’s community ownership model and were very keen to host a supporter owned club on their home turf to mark the opening of their refurbished ground.

While not a traditional supporter-owned club in the FC United sense, Detroit City are very much a fans’ club with a strong community focus. Founded in 2012, Detroit City currently play in the National Premier Soccer League (US 4th Division, no promotion/relegation in American soccer) and finished runners up this season to Madison 56ers. The full league standings can be viewed at http://www.detcityfc.com/page/show/1570943-standings

Unlike the majority of sports teams in the US (and the UK) that are owned by billionaire owners and millionaire players, Detroit City FC are a team founded by a group of young Detroiters .The club was started by five regular supporters in their early 30s who lived in Detroit and were adamant that Detroit not only needed a football club (or soccer club as they’d term it), but it needed to be done the right way - focused on supporters, embody the resurgence going on in Detroit; accessible to the city’s residents, and situated in the urban core of the city.

The club has grown each season to the point of selling out nearly all their home matches in 2015 through an almost entirely word of mouth campaign. Detroit City FC is a community-oriented club and provides free clinics and season tickets to inner city children that participate in youth football. They have a commitment to inclusivity that was underlined by the club being the first American sports team to wear a LGBTQ inclusion jersey in a competitive match and they also host an annual charity match each year.

Detroit City FC has established itself as one of the most talked about football teams in North America. Their club motto, “Passion for Our City, Passion for the Game”, evokes the three ideas the grassroots organisation was built upon - to satisfy the demand for football in downtown Detroit, represent the city in a positive light, and build community through ‘the beautiful game’.

For more information about the club and its formation see “The locals bringing soccer back to Detroit” from The Guardian and also “Detroit City FC proposes venue move to Hamtramck’s Keyworth Stadium” from mLIVE which includes some brilliant photos of the DCFC supporters at a match.

You can also view an archive of streamed matches from Detroit City FC’s most recent season at https://vimeo.com/detroitcityfc The Detroit City FC website is athttp://www.detcityfc.com/

What started with a shoestring budget and some lofty expectations has grown to capture the attention of the football world. Local, national, and international media have reported on the phenomenal rise of ‘Le Rouge’, who are generally regarded as having one of the most exciting match atmospheres in North America and extremely passionate supporters.

In a parallel with the development of FC United, the club has reached a point where it needs a new facility to continue the growth of the organisation. They hope that the next home of Detroit City FC will be the historic Keyworth Stadium where they have partnered with the City of Hamtramck and Hamtramck Public Schools to lead a big investment in the club and the community, and to provide DCFC with an opportunity to create the best matchday atmosphere at any football venue in America.

The rehabilitation work to Keyworth Stadium is to be funded through a combination of club funds, traditional small business loans, as well as through a ground-breaking community investment campaign, echoing FC United’s own community shares scheme, that would allow supporters to directly loan money to DCFC and earn interest on that loan as a way to grow their club and community. If all goes to plan, DCFC’s intention would be to complete the rehabilitation work at Keyworth Stadium by April 2016, in time for the upcoming National Premier Soccer League (NPSL) season and the match with FC United.

See how the newly refurbished Keyworth Stadium should look below.

The FC United squad will travel to Detroit on Thursday 26 May 2016 and play the match against Detroit City FC on Saturday 28 May at DCFC’s Keyworth Stadium arriving back in the UK on Monday 30 May.

We acknowledge that this will be a long and potentially expensive trip for our fans and we are looking at ways of enabling supporters to better manage the cost of the trip. There are undoubted advantages in visiting Detroit, which is one of America’s most vibrant cities with a rich and diverse cultural history as the home of Motown and the US motor industry. We are sure that those FC supporters who make the trip will have a fantastic time in one of America’s most vibrant cities with a rich tradition.

Detroit City FC v FC United of Manchester
Saturday 28 May 2016, kick off 3pm EST (8pm GMT)
Keyworth Stadium
3201 Roosevelt St
Hamtramck
MI 48212
United States

The match will be pay on the gate for FC United supporters.

NM

Will definitely raise the profile and awareness in the US. Good that they are linking with like-minded clubs.

RedTiger

Half mast
Saw this on Detroits website. Good choice of friendly between 2 fan owned teams. I did think some people might be confused as to which "United" it is, but i'm sure Rouge fans know exactly who they're playing.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
In the process of getting this trip booked.

Is there anyone from that area on here. Can you recommend any cheap hotels?

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
In the process of getting this trip booked.

Is there anyone from that area on here. Can you recommend any cheap hotels?
It's a large metro area so you aren't limited to just the downtown area. If you are going to rent a car (and you almost definitely have to) then pick a place out in the suburbs. I would look north of I-696 and west of I-75. If you want something closer you would be better off paying more for a nice hotel downtown (Renaissance Center, The David Whitney or Westin Cadillac). If you just want a safe place to sleep, look in Oakland County. (Novi, Royal Oak, Farmington Hills, Troy) and rent a car or Uber where you want to go.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
It's a large metro area so you aren't limited to just the downtown area. If you are going to rent a car (and you almost definitely have to) then pick a place out in the suburbs. I would look north of I-696 and west of I-75. If you want something closer you would be better off paying more for a nice hotel downtown (Renaissance Center, The David Whitney or Westin Cadillac). If you just want a safe place to sleep, look in Oakland County. (Novi, Royal Oak, Farmington Hills, Troy) and rent a car or Uber where you want to go.
Cheers mate, will have a look at those places.

Same day as Champions League final aswell so I'd imagine we'll be looking for somewhere to watch United...

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Isn't Detroit quite a dangerous city these days?

Eboue

Cheers mate, will have a look at those places.

Same day as Champions League final aswell so I'd imagine we'll be looking for somewhere to watch United...
If you go across the tunnel to Windsor, there is The Manchester. Lefty's in Midtown is nice. You can go along the Woodward Corridor too - Ferndale, Royal Oak, Berkley, etc and definitely find a place.

Isn't Detroit quite a dangerous city these days?
No.

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
Detroit has the highest murder and violent crime rate of any major city in the country, according to the FBI. FBI Uniform Crime Reporting statistics released Monday show that Detroit logged 316 murders and non-negligent manslaughters last year, with a rate of 45 per 100,000 people.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/14/detroit-highest-murder-rate-violent-crime_n_6144460.html

Last year, Detroit's homicide count ended at 304, down from 333 the previous year. Still, the city's homicide rate remained at 44 per 100,000 residents, one of the highest in the nation.
http://www.metrotimes.com/Blogs/arc...arly-25-percent-in-first-three-months-of-2015

Or you could just take Eboue's word for it. I'm sure he meant it's not as bad as downtown Baghdad or Soweto but on the whole it's not much safer than walking around Moss Side. I'm sure in the city centre in daylight you'd be fairly safe but wouldn't fancy being around if a group of lairy, pissed up FCUM fans decided to start gobbing off.

Eboue

Alright weirdo. Downtown, mid town, hamtramck, new center are not places that anyone needs to be worried about walking around in. I wouldn't go strolling around north of Davison in hamtramck or bar hopping in Brightmoor but why would the OP be doing those things anyway?

I've never been to Moss Side so I can't make sweeping generalizations like Bury Red who is apparently the authority on everything but I can and have given good advice on how to be safe and have a good time. Detroit isn't a post apocalyptic hellscape. There are good areas and bad areas like every big city. If you don't act like a twat you'll be fine. But why take it from someone who knows what they are talking about when Bury Red can spend thirty seconds googling something?