"Fergie's premiership masterplan" ~ NOTW Exclusive

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
By James Fletcher

SIR ALEX FERGUSON has revealed his masterplan for winning the Premiership title this season.

In an exclusive News of the World interview, the Old Trafford supremo insisted:

*Replacing Roy Keane is MORE important than replacing Ruud van Nistelrooy.
*Striker Van Nistelrooy has to GO after asking for a transfer three times.
*He will not up his bid for Tottenham midfielder Michael Carrick.
*Portuguese midfielder Cristiano Ronaldo will stay at Manchester United.
*The United boss has no doubt midfield is the key area as he looks to spend a transfer kitty of around £25million.

Keane left Old Trafford for Celtic in the middle of last season and Fergie said: "The main issue for me is the composition of the midfield. We are not looking outside of that.

Quality

"When you lose a player like Roy Keane, which was always going to happen as he was getting older, you have to find a replacement for him.

"It is something I have been looking at for a long time. We have Paul Scholes back after that unfortunate, unusual eye injury and he is back to his best form.

"We also have the quality and experience of Ryan Giggs so it can't be that bad.

"We have youthfulness in John O'Shea — who did a great job for us last year in that position — and Darren Fletcher, so we have some alternatives in there.

"We are trying to sign a couple of players who would add to the variety of our play. They are different types of players to the ones we have. That would only strengthen us."

United have not won the title for four seasons now and Ferguson knows his rivals will be stronger than ever.

Chelsea have brought in Michael Ballack and Andriy Shevchenko, Arsenal have added Tomas Rosicky while Liverpool have signed Craig Bellamy and Fabio Aurelio.

Ferguson has yet to sign anyone. He has also had to cope with the fallout from Van Nistelrooy's transfer requests and Ronaldo's World Cup bust-up with Wayne Rooney.

Fergie is adamant Van Nistelrooy, 30, will not be allowed to leave on the cheap, with Real Madrid and Bayern Munich interested in his signature.

He said: "Ruud asked away, it is as simple as that. He asked away before the Arsenal Cup final last year, then asked away through his representative and now has asked away himself in writing.

"Quite frankly, if he wants to leave there really is no point trying to persuade him to stay.

"If a player's heart is not in it then you have to make a decision. I couldn't tell you why he wants to leave or why his heart isn't in it, all I can tell you is he has asked away and we have accepted that."

The United boss refuses to be held to ransom in his search for the players and insists he does not need to bring in a new striker with Rooney, Louis Saha, Alan Smith and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer already at the club.

He has bid £12million for Tottenham's Michael Carrick but revealed the North Londoners want double that for the England midfielder.

Fergie said: "World Cup year is always difficult but we tried to do some fundamental business before the tournament, making a bid for Carrick.

"Tottenham turned down that offer and are looking at something approaching double what we offered. They want to play the long game. We have put a value on him and we will not go above that."

Ferguson is certain Ronaldo will return to United, despite his World Cup bust-up with Rooney.

The Portuguese winger claimed he would have to go and made no secret of his wish to for Real Madrid.

But Fergie said: "Ronaldo will return to Manchester United. We are not in the process of letting our best players go, certainly not our young players.

"There is no rift between Wayne and Cristiano. In fact Wayne has been fantastic throughout all of this, he has handled the whole thing very well.

"I know Wayne has been in touch with Cristiano and I don't anticipate any problems."

Fergie insists he finds the axing of star players one of the most difficult aspects of his job — and believes his reputation for being tough is unfair.

Brutal

Van Nistelrooy will ultimately follow David Beckham, Paul Ince, Nicky Butt and Keane out of Old Trafford but Fergie insists these decisions were all for the long-term good of the club.

He added: "It's unfortunate that, as the years go on, the players you grow attached to grow older. It is a sad fact of life.

"It isn't a case of me being brutal, it just happens. Denis Irwin got to a certain age, Roy Keane, Steve Bruce and Gary Pallister retired, Bryan Robson became a manager.

"In our present squad we have Ryan Giggs who is now getting to 33 — hopefully he can play for us for two or three years because he is such a fit lad.

"But we know that, at some point, he will come to the end. It happens.

"Because I have been with this club for so long I have had to deal with that situation with many, many players.

"It maybe gives a false impression of me being ruthless or having to make crucial decisions.

"It is nothing like that. Most of the time it is just common sense — players come to the end of their careers and it just happens."

Source :: http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/story_pages/sport/sport2.shtml

Cal?

CR7 fan
I seriously doubt he'd say all those things when Ruud hasn't been sold yet.

oscar74

Just reads like a bunch of old quotes strung together. Doubt they actually spoke to him. Still nothing in the article to suggest SAF is even close to sorting out the mess in midfield.

oscar74

Number7 said:
The sol article

Must have been planning to muscle in on that lottery picture shoot with Ashley Cole....

dangercat

Nick 0208 Ldn said:
He asked away before the Arsenal Cup final last year, then asked away through his representative and now has asked away himself in writing.
Never saw that one coming :eek:

AARONTHERED

im disrespectful to the forum ladies-please abuse
dangercat said:
Never saw that one coming :eek:
Yeah, Ruud's obvious decline in form, ambition and drive has been apparent to every single newbie on this forum. They then get dubbed "muppet" by the "true" supporters and laughed at.

Anyone with half a brain could see Ruud was unhappy here for a LONG time. And his performances have significantly declined over recent years. People just wait until the seasons over and lie to themselves using statistics to calm fears.

Idiots

SittingBull

That's great and all, but what is Sergio Canales u
At United, we strive for perfection, and if we fai
Put it this way. RVN is not indispensible, cos there are a lot of quality strikers out there who could get us 20-30goals a season, cos Manchester United style of play, has always generate a lot of chances for their strikers. Likes of Darren Bent, Defoe, albeit not the class of RVn, could still lead the goalscoring charts if they play for Manchester United. However, our immediate concern is getting midfielders, and the faster we get that done, the better. I cannot bear the thought of going into next season with the likes of Richardson, Oshea, Fletcher featuring prominently in our midfield. If so, we will finish at best 3rd, behind Chelsea and Liverpool.

topper

Clown
AARONTHERED said:
Yeah, Ruud's obvious decline in form, ambition and drive has been apparent to every single newbie on this forum. They then get dubbed "muppet" by the "true" supporters and laughed at.

Anyone with half a brain could see Ruud was unhappy here for a LONG time. And his performances have significantly declined over recent years. People just wait until the seasons over and lie to themselves using statistics to calm fears.

Idiots

agree

Red17

SittingBull said:
Put it this way. RVN is not indispensible, cos there are a lot of quality strikers out there who could get us 20-30goals a season, cos Manchester United style of play, has always generate a lot of chances for their strikers. Likes of Darren Bent, Defoe, albeit not the class of RVn, could still lead the goalscoring charts if they play for Manchester United. However, our immediate concern is getting midfielders, and the faster we get that done, the better. I cannot bear the thought of going into next season with the likes of Richardson, Oshea, Fletcher featuring prominently in our midfield. If so, we will finish at best 3rd, behind Chelsea and Liverpool.
Read so well until the last sentence - then it just went from being logical, realistic & pragmatic to speaking out of frustration and like a spoilt child making threats.

Devil_3565

AARONTHERED said:

Idiots
I can recall me self being shot at for startin a thread questioning Ruud's
effectiveness..

Julian Denny

SittingBull said:
Put it this way. RVN is not indispensible, cos there are a lot of quality strikers out there who could get us 20-30goals a season, cos Manchester United style of play, has always generate a lot of chances for their strikers.
I agree that RVN has to go. He's not indispensable - on present form and attitude. The Ruud of two seasons ago would be indispensable though. Something has gone seriously wrong over the last two seasons - to such an extent it has even affected his international performances. Be warned however, getting another 20-30 goals a season striker or someone who can score a goal in every 1.5 games won't be easy. Spreading the goal scoring amongst what we have is more likely but still you have to provide them with the service and that has been a problem for some while now. Perhaps frustration was Ruud's problem - particularly in view of the formation requiring him to battle alone upfront with little or no service most of the time.

Drifter

American
In an exclusive News of the World interview, the Old Trafford supremo insisted:

*Replacing Roy Keane is MORE important than replacing Ruud van Nistelrooy.
*Striker Van Nistelrooy has to GO after asking for a transfer three times.
*He will not up his bid for Tottenham midfielder Michael Carrick.
*Portuguese midfielder Cristiano Ronaldo will stay at Manchester United.
*The United boss has no doubt midfield is the key area as he looks to spend a transfer kitty of around £25million.

Not much of an exclusive

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I wonder why Ruud wanted to leave so desperately, and that for more than a year? I always thought that he is red through and through and even he said he'd like to finish his career at OT...

IMO Fergie should have sorted out the midfield a long time ago and now really should get at least 1 world class player. And if Ruud leaves, it would be much saver to buy a replacement then relying on Ole, Smith and Rossi, but with our tight budget, it's just not possible

vanthaman

Winner
i dont like the bit where he basically says "Dont Panic! we have OShea and Fletcher"

hardyboy

SAF in the public press is different from the actual SAF. I'm sure he's doing a lot of behind-the-scene inquiries and maybe looking hard for the midfielder and striker we need.

hardyboy

vanthaman said:
i dont like the bit where he basically says "Dont Panic! we have OShea and Fletcher"
SAF is just playing games. The way I see it, it works well in 2 ways:

1) OShea and Fletcher will have a boost of confidence hearing that kind of thing from their boss
2) Clubs who try to put us to ransom for their midfielders will see that we might pull out from any deal that threatens to make us pay over the odds for a player transfer.

He may not be thinking what he is telling the press , you know what I mean? ;)

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
hardyboy said:

1) OShea and Fletcher will have a boost of confidence hearing that kind of thing from their boss
2) Clubs who try to put us to ransom for their midfielders will see that we might pull out from any deal that threatens to make us pay over the odds for a player transfer.

i think any club with any manager with any intelligence will see straight through all of that though

vanthaman

Winner
hardyboy said:

that is 1 possibility, the other possibility is that fergie really does believe OShea and Fletcher are world class :wenger:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
vanthaman said:
Unfortunately Im starting to believe that he truly believe this crap.

dangercat

AARONTHERED said:

Idiots
Are you taking the piss?

BezsMaracas

Just read that on Sky Sports. I really don't know how they can get away with such shoddy journalism and pass it off as quotes. SAF wouldn't say most of that in a million years.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
they get away with it because it pulls in viewers and sells papers and they do it so often that nobody can really be bothered to sue for retraction

BezsMaracas

Its the fact that even the stupidest retards would be able to work out that they'd already read half that stuff in this weeks papers and that the rest is made up filler

hardyboy

Whatever it is, I think the next 2 weeks will be really interesting. It will reveal the truth about Fergie's masterplan, and the lies by the press.