Fergie's transfer record - how good was it?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Usually Fergie was spot on with his player assessments
This quote about Phil Jones being compared to Duncan Edwards made me think that I've seen quite a few posts here talking about how good Fergie's transfer record was and how he rarely bought a dud. (Sorry I don't mean to pick on you @redmanx, your post just sparked the thought)

Everyone remembers the famous duds, Bebe, Veron etc but when you start looking through his transfers, there are far more that failed than succeeded. To be fair on SAF apart from Veron, the really expensive transfers pretty much all worked out really well, I'm thinking Ferdinand, Rooney, etc

So what think the caf?

GREAT IMPACTcostAVERAGE IMPACTcostBADcost
Brian McClair850,000Viv Anderson250,000Jim Leighton500,000
Mark Hughes1.8MDion Dublin1MMal Donaghy650,000
Lee Sharpe200,000David May1.4MRalph Milne170,000
Gary Pallister2.3MJesper Blomqvist4.4MGiunliano Maiorana30,000
Paul Ince1MLes SealeyFreeMike Phelan750,000
Denis Irwin625,000Quinton Fortune1.5MNeil Webb1.5M
Andrei Kanchelskis650,000Roy Carroll2.5MDanny Wallace1.2M
Peter Schmeichel500,000Diego Forlan6.9MNeil Whitworth45,000
Paul Parker2MTim Howard2.3MPat McGibbon10,000
Eric Cantona1.2MAlan Smith7MGraeme Tomlinson100,000
Roy Keane3.7MGabriel Heinze6.9MNick Culkin250,000
Andy Cole7MOwen Hargreaves17MWilliam PrunierFree
Raimond van der GouwFreeKieron RichardsonFreeTony Coton500,000
Ronny Johnsen1.2MAnders Lindegaard3.5MKarel Poborsky3.5M
Ole1.5MMichael OwenFreeJordi Cruyff1.3M
Teddy Sheringham3.5MErik NevlandUndisclosed
Henning Berg5MJonathan Greening500,000
Jaap Stam10.7MMark BosnichFree
Dwight Yorke12.6MMassimo Taibi4.5M
Mikael Silvestre4MBojan Djordjic1.5M
RVN19MFabien Barthez7.8M
Laurent BlancFreeJuan Veron28M
Rio Ferdinand27MLuke Steele500,000
C.Ronaldo12.3MRicardo Lopez1.5M
Louis Saha12.8MDavid Bellion2M
Wayne Rooney25.6MEric Djembax23.5M
Nemanja Vidic7MKleberson6.5M
Patrice Evra5.5MLee Martin200,000
Edwin van der Sar2MDong500,000
Park Ji-Sung4MLiam MillerFree
Michael Carrick18.6MBen Foster1M
Nani21MAnderson20M
Carlos Tevez20MThomas Kuszczak4.3M
Rafael3MManucho1M
Dimitar Berbatov30.75MFabio3M
Antonio Valencia16MRodrigo Possebon3.5M
Chris Smalling10MZoran Tosic6M
Chicarito7MRitchie De Laet200,000
Ashley Young17MGabriel Obertan3.5M
DDG19MMame Diouf4.0M
RVP24MBebe7.4M
Phil Jones16.5M
Nick Powell6M
Shinji Kagawa12M
Angelo Henriquez5M
Alexander Buttner4.5M
Wilfred Zaha15M

I've probably missed out a few and have tried to focus on players bought expecting first team action rather than just pure youth, which is why Pogba doesn't make the list for example. The good/bad columns are also subjective and are just my rough ratings.

tl:dr Was SAF's transfer record really as good as many now seem to think it was?

EDIT List updated due to general outrage :D

Last edited:
Any manager that spends three decades at a top club will sign plenty of bad players. Drawing up a list of "good" vs "bad" is utterly silly and would leave every manager in the world in the negative overall.

tl:dr Was SAF's transfer record really as good as many now seem to think it was?
TLDR Yes, it was amazing.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He did sign a fair few duds but when he got it right he got it really, really right.

prateik

Quite a few of the "bad" ones came when he started looking for great value towards the end.. for reasons.

It was very good for the most part.. any club would be delighted with his hit rate.

Also.. Heinze wasnt a bad player.. just a cnut.

edit: googled him.. apparently is now the head coach at ATL .. feck . I wanted to like them.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
2/3 success rate. It is not bad at all really. Imagine if we buy 3 players each season and 2 of them turn out to be very good signings. That will be not bad at all if you ask me.

And there are finer details than just good or bad. Luck with injuries for example, such as for the case of Dion Dublin and Alan Smith. And you cant really count free transfers. And some of them had great one season or two, or half in some cases. It's not totally bad in those cases. He didn't ruin Zaha, anyway.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
You're being harsh on some of the 'bad' players. Some gave us a good couple of years before falling away, and some were cheap punts that went on to be good squad players.

I wouldn't really class Kieran Richardson as a buy either - he'd only just turned 17 when he joined us and was obviously just a youth transfer. I'd actually forgotten he hadn't completely come through the ranks.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
You're being harsh on some of the 'bad' players. Some gave us a good couple of years before falling away, and some were cheap punts that went on to be good squad players.

I wouldn't really class Kieran Richardson as a buy either - he'd only just turned 17 when he joined us and was obviously just a youth transfer.
Yeah, the good v bad is always going to be subjective, but given the way some here judge AWB or Maguire for example is far harsher than anything on that list IMO.

Actually the list was quite fun to do, loads of players I'd forgotten about and some were really hard to place.

MadDogg

Yeah, the good v bad is always going to be subjective, but given the way some here judge AWB or Maguire for example is far harsher than anything on that list IMO.

Actually the list was quite fun to do, loads of players I'd forgotten about and some were really hard to place.
Maybe there should be a third category for players that were 'ok'. Cheap squad players that did that job, and also players that were good for a season or two.

Not sure about earlier players, but the likes of May, Fortune, Howard, Smith, Heinze, Hargreaves, Anderson and Owen don't feel right to be on the 'bad' list for me. Perhaps Barthez as well since he's kind of the same as Howard in that both had one good season before falling away, but I guess the expectations (and price) on Barthez makes him feel like more of a flop.

Red_toad

That bad lost is awful, just so picky. I’ll go with Leighton he was perfectly fine for a while, then his form dropped off a cliff, can’t remember why, so he cannot be classsed as just a bad signing, as there was a lot of positive followed by poor form, then he was moved on.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Maybe there should be a third category for players that were 'ok'. Cheap squad players that did that job, and also players that were good for a season or two.
GOODcostOKcostBADcost
Raimond van der GouwFreeTony Coton500,000
Ronny Johnsen1.2MKarel Poborsky3.5M
Ole1.5MJordi Cruyff1.3M
RVN19MFabien Barthez7.8M
Rio Ferdinand27MKieron RichardsonFree
C.Ronaldo12.3M
Louis Saha12.8MLuke Steele500,000
Wayne Rooney25.6MRicardo Lopez1.5M
Nemanja Vidic7MDavid Bellion2M
Patrice Evra5.5MEric Djembax23.5M
Edwin van der Sar2MKleberson6.5M
Park Ji-Sung4MLee Martin200,000
Michael Carrick18.6MDong500,000
Nani21MLiam MillerFree
Carlos Tevez20MBen Foster1M
Rafael3M
Dimitar Berbatov30.75MAnderson20M
Antonio Valencia16MThomas Kuszczak4.3M
Chris Smalling10MManucho1M
Chicarito7MFabio3M
Ashley Young17MRodrigo Possebon3.5M
DDG19MZoran Tosic6M
RVP24MRitchie De Laet200,000
Michael OwenFree
Gabriel Obertan3.5M
Mame Diouf4.0M
Bebe7.4M
Anders Lindegaard3.5M
Phil Jones16.5M
Nick Powell6M
Shinji Kagawa12M
Angelo Henriquez5M
Alexander Buttner4.5M
Wilfred Zaha15M

Adnan

Talent Spotter
A lot of those so called duds were actually cheap punts that we took a chance on. Obertan for example we took a chance on due to his potential but were warned by Laurent Blanc that he had issues mentally. Quinton Fortune was at the club for 7 years and was a decent squad option for 1.5m. Bebe was a strange deal that seemed dodgy from the off due to Jorge Mendes. Erik Nevland was signed after he scored a succession of hattricks whilst on trial as a teenager playing in non first team games. It wasn't Fergie who made the call on him but the Coaches who were working with the youth. William Prunier was only on trial at the club and it was reported that Fergie only intended to test him in reserve games but he was drafted straight into the first team after Gary Pallister, Steve Bruce and David May suffered injuries.

I can go on but I'll stop here, because Fergie sure signed duds and there's no question about that. But alot of the names listed in the OP weren't duds at all.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Whilst I agree - I really dislike people calling owen Hargreaves a flop. The guy was fundamental to our CL win even if he was injury prone..

MadDogg

Whilst I agree - I really dislike people calling owen Hargreaves a flop. The guy was fundamental to our CL win even if he was injury prone..
Yeah, he was a strange one. He was a flop in central midfield which is where he was obviously bought to play, but he ended up being a really good option playing on the right (either on the wing or fullback) for that CL season. Unfortunately injury destroyed him after that.

Thaumaste

If anything, this thread has reminded me of just how good Fergie's transfer dealings actually were. The first set of categorisations is ludicrously off, but even the 2nd fails to do justice to players who maybe didn't live up to all the expectations, but were no means actually poor either as players or signings.

I mean, not only are loads of the 'bad' signings cheap punts as @Adnan has pointed out, but I don't really see how, for example, Michael Owen (much as I have no liking for him) was a bad signing on a free, and players like Anderson and Phil Jones, while not setting the world alight, played valuable roles over reasonable periods of time, and in no way can be categorised alongside people like Taibi.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Les Sealey was also a success story and helped us win the FA Cup final in 1990 after Fergie had dropped Jim Leighton. The following season he suffered a injury in the league cup final and according to Clayton Blackmore his knee was in such a mess that his bone was showing but he refused to come off the pitch. 3 weeks later he miraculous declared himself fit for the Cup winners Cup final where United defeated Barcelona 3-1. He was offered a new contract but he decided to leave the club not long after.

Sadly he died in 2001.

Gazza

Fergie got most of the big transfer fees right - Pallister, Keane, Stam, Yorke, Ruud, Rio, Rooney
He got some diamonds - Schmeichel, Kanchelskis, Cantona, Solskjaer, Ronaldo
He recruited solidly throughout - Irwin, Bruce, Pallister, Ince, R Johnsen, Evra, Vidic, van de Sar, Carrick, Nani

So basically when you get the above right, you're allowed to have a few that don't work out. He built four great teams.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think between good and bad, maybe we should add another column of average signing.

RashyForPM

The bad list is awful. Genuinely awful. Phelan, May, Blomqvist, Foster, Hargreaves, Anderson, Kuszczak, Fabio, Owen, Lindegaard, Jones, Kagawa and Buttner all fulfilled their job descriptions upon signings, be it as an important player or squad player. Fergie got far more right than he did wrong.

The way many people talk, not just OP tbf, you’d think Fergie had no tactics, had awful recruitment and while a good motivator, constantly disrespected his players like Beckham. It’s a wonder how he won 38 trophies including 13 titles in 27 years to become the greatest manager of all-time eh?

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
This quote about Phil Jones being compared to Duncan Edwards made me think that I've seen quite a few posts here talking about how good Fergie's transfer record was and how he rarely bought a dud. (Sorry I don't mean to pick on you @redmanx, your post just sparked the thought)

Everyone remembers the famous duds, Bebe, Veron etc but when you start looking through his transfers, there are far more that failed than succeeded. To be fair on SAF apart from Veron, the really expensive transfers pretty much all worked out really well, I'm thinking Ferdinand, Rooney, etc

So what think the caf?

GOODcostBADcost
Brian McClair850,000Viv Anderson250,000
Mark Hughes1.8MJim Leighton500,000
Lee Sharpe200,000Mal Donaghy650,000
Gary Pallister2.3MRalph Milne170,000
Paul Ince1MGiunliano Maiorana30,000
Denis Irwin625,000Mike Phelan750,000
Andrei Kanchelskis650,000Neil Webb1.5M
Peter Schmeichel500,000Danny Wallace1.2M
Paul Parker2MLes SealeyFree
Eric Cantona1.2MNeil Whitworth45,000
Roy Keane3.7MPat McGibbon10,000
Andy Cole7MDion Dublin1M
Raimond van der GouwFreeGraeme Tomlinson100,000
Ronny Johnsen1.2MDavid May1.4M
Ole1.5MNick Culkin250,000
Teddy Sheringham3.5MWilliam PrunierFree
Henning Berg5MTony Coton500,000
Jaap Stam10.7MKarel Poborsky3.5M
Dwight Yorke12.6MJordi Cruyff1.3M
Mikael Silvestre4MErik NevlandUndisclosed
RVN19MJonathan Greening500,000
Laurent BlancFreeJesper Blomqvist4.4M
Rio Ferdinand27MMark BosnichFree
C.Ronaldo12.3MQuinton Fortune1.5M
Louis Saha12.8MMassimo Taibi4.5M
Wayne Rooney25.6MBojan Djordjic1.5M
Nemanja Vidic7MFabien Barthez7.8M
Patrice Evra5.5MJuan Veron28M
Edwin van der Sar2MRoy Carroll2.5M
Park Ji-Sung4MKieron RichardsonFree
Michael Carrick18.6MDiego Forlan6.9M
Nani21MLuke Steele500,000
Carlos Tevez20MRicardo Lopez1.5M
RafaelDavid Bellion2M
Dimitar Berbatov30.75MEric Djembax23.5M
Antonio Valencia16MTim Howard2.3M
Chris Smalling10MKleberson6.5M
ChicaritoLee Martin200,000
Ashley Young17MDong500,000
DDG19MAlan Smith7M
RVP24MGabriel Heinze6.9M
Liam MillerFree
Ben Foster1M
Owen Hargreaves17M
Anderson20M
Thomas Kuszczak4.3M
Manucho1M
Fabio3M
Rodrigo Possebon3.5M
Zoran Tosic6M
Ritchie De Laet200,000
Michael OwenFree
Gabriel Obertan3.5M
Mame Diouf4.0M
Bebe7.4M
Anders Lindegaard3.5M
Phil Jones16.5M
Nick Powell6M
Shinji Kagawa12M
Angelo Henriquez5M
Alexander Buttner4.5M
Wilfred Zaha15M

I've probably missed out a few and have tried to focus on players bought expecting first team action rather than just pure youth, which is why Pogba doesn't make the list for example. The good/bad columns are also subjective and are just my rough ratings.

I dont agree with at least od 1/3 od the bad list. How is Anders Lindegard a bad transfer? :confused:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
The way many people talk, not just OP tbf, you’d think Fergie had no tactics, had awful recruitment and while a good motivator, constantly disrespected his players like Beckham
Actually I think Ferguson was one of the most adaptable managers and a huge part of his success was being able to foresee changes in football, styles, and tactics and adapt and change his teams to keep you at the top.

I'm not saying he had awful recruitment in the OP I say, when he spent proper money he rarely put a foot wrong, plenty of his signings had an outstanding impact.

I haven't even mentioned disrespecting players.

I just enjoy stats and lists..

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I dont agree with at least od 1/3 od the bad list. How is Anders Lindegard a bad transfer? :confused:
Sorry I should have been clearer, I was trying to list transfers that had an impact and those that didn't or just faded away a bit, I know Lindegaard was a back up buy, but he had no real impact on the team. As I said its all subjective and that's half the discussion :)

NoneBmStore

Also, a lot of the players on the bad list were punts, free or young
Labelling Zaha as bad is laughable. He’s a great winger and never played under Ferguson. Moyes ruined that for us. Could have been a staple of our team for a decade.
that and many of the others

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
@The Boy so many of the players don't belong to the list of either bad buys or didn't make impact.

el3mel

27 years of transfers. There will be a lot of failed business. Can't be helped.

Lentwood

Also don’t forget we had the added advantage of being able to sign top players from our rivals. Many of the signings in the “good” column were blindingly obvious. To say that SAF was in charge for so long he didn’t actually unearth many gems.

I actually think this was a big part of the reason we struggled when he left. Our scouting system had been neglected and was very old fashioned. It had been run by Ferguson’s brother for a long time!

As soon as we stopped being able to just buy the Harry Kane’s etc...and had to be a bit clever in the market we struggled

snk123

Anderson was an okay signing - yes he did not live up to the potential but still did alright! + used to attack the space really well! :D

cyril C

Fergi's last 5-6 seasons record has been poor, since CR/Nani/Anderson. But 1 thing for sure, most of his expensive buy (may be apart from Veron) were starter, at least played 10-15 games a season (Anderson being the worst? but still a starter when fit). Were Smalling and Jones that bad? Both were regular starter when fit.

LVG has to be the worst, with most of his purchase need to flush out.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Also don’t forget we had the added advantage of being able to sign top players from our rivals. Many of the signings in the “good” column were blindingly obvious. To say that SAF was in charge for so long he didn’t actually unearth many gems.

I actually think this was a big part of the reason we struggled when he left. Our scouting system had been neglected and was very old fashioned. It had been run by Ferguson’s brother for a long time!

As soon as we stopped being able to just buy the Harry Kane’s etc...and had to be a bit clever in the market we struggled
We also had the disadvantage that the best players in the world wanted to play in Italy for a large period during Fergie's tenure.

And David Gill is responsible for our non existent scouting system which Ed Woodward has modernised by investing heavily and putting competent people in charge.

Trequarista10

As a few others have mentioned, the '"bad" list is awful. Most reasons have been stated, but I'll add that many of these signings made the squad more competitive. Is Karel Poborsky a bad signing because he wasn't better than David Beckham, one of the best right wingers of the PL era? No. Does buying players like Poborsky increase competition, raise standards in training, and push players to put in 100% to retain their place in the squad? Yes.

Ferguson is still so underappreciated by many. Genius of a man. Squad management in particular, the guy was thinking several levels beyond you. Even tactically, an area in which he is often claimed to be less superior, he is underrated.

Number32

GOODcostOKcostBADcost
Raimond van der GouwFreeTony Coton500,000
Ronny Johnsen1.2MKarel Poborsky3.5M
Ole1.5MJordi Cruyff1.3M
RVN19MFabien Barthez7.8M
Rio Ferdinand27MKieron RichardsonFree
C.Ronaldo12.3M
Louis Saha12.8MLuke Steele500,000
Wayne Rooney25.6MRicardo Lopez1.5M
Nemanja Vidic7MDavid Bellion2M
Patrice Evra5.5MEric Djembax23.5M
Edwin van der Sar2MKleberson6.5M
Park Ji-Sung4MLee Martin200,000
Michael Carrick18.6MDong500,000
Nani21MLiam MillerFree
Carlos Tevez20MBen Foster1M
Rafael3M
Dimitar Berbatov30.75MAnderson20M
Antonio Valencia16MThomas Kuszczak4.3M
Chris Smalling10MManucho1M
Chicarito7MFabio3M
Ashley Young17MRodrigo Possebon3.5M
DDG19MZoran Tosic6M
RVP24MRitchie De Laet200,000
Michael OwenFree
Gabriel Obertan3.5M
Mame Diouf4.0M
Bebe7.4M
Anders Lindegaard3.5M
Phil Jones16.5M
Nick Powell6M
Shinji Kagawa12M
Angelo Henriquez5M
Alexander Buttner4.5M
Wilfred Zaha15M
IMO Berg, Blanc, Saha, and Smalling are OK signings. Berbatov, Nani, and Young are debatable regarding their price vs their big impact to the team.

Blomqvist and Fortune are good signings for that price, as I said in other thread our second units were Fergie's secret weapon since the 99 treble to the early 2000. We couldn't be consistent without them. Heinze was also a good signing, fixing the left back problem since Irwin left, and sold with a higher price than we bought him.

flappyjay

Heinze was a good player it's just that Evra was a beast
Thomas Kuszcack was bought to be a number 2
Zaha was never given a chance at United, he probably would have been an alright player for us

RashyForPM

Actually I think Ferguson was one of the most adaptable managers and a huge part of his success was being able to foresee changes in football, styles, and tactics and adapt and change his teams to keep you at the top.

I'm not saying he had awful recruitment in the OP I say, when he spent proper money he rarely put a foot wrong, plenty of his signings had an outstanding impact.

I haven't even mentioned disrespecting players.

I just enjoy stats and lists..
Yeah didn’t mean you for the non-recruitment bits and tactics, meant generally. So fair enough, but still, a lot of the players in your bad list is wrong for sure, like Anderson, Hargreaves, Lindegaard, May etc. Fergie was the type of manager to identify a good player (notice he never talks about fitting someone into his system because he had so many), and then extract the absolute best out of him. Hence why imo he had so few bad signings.

Les Sealey was also a success story and helped us win the FA Cup final in 1990 after Fergie had dropped Jim Leighton. The following season he suffered a injury in the league cup final and according to Clayton Blackmore his knee was in such a mess that his bone was showing but he refused to come off the pitch. 3 weeks later he miraculous declared himself fit for the Cup winners Cup final where United defeated Barcelona 3-1. He was offered a new contract but he decided to leave the club not long after.

Sadly he died in 2001.
can’t believe that was 20 years ago.

I’m not having anyone calling Sealey a flop. Free transfer, helps us win the cup and is our first team keeper for a season.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots

So what think the caf?

GOODcostBADcost
Brian McClair850,000Viv Anderson250,000
Mark Hughes1.8MJim Leighton500,000
Lee Sharpe200,000Mal Donaghy650,000
Gary Pallister2.3MRalph Milne170,000
Paul Ince1MGiunliano Maiorana30,000
Denis Irwin625,000Mike Phelan750,000
Andrei Kanchelskis650,000Neil Webb1.5M
Peter Schmeichel500,000Danny Wallace1.2M
Paul Parker2MLes SealeyFree
Eric Cantona1.2MNeil Whitworth45,000
Roy Keane3.7MPat McGibbon10,000
Andy Cole7MDion Dublin1M
Raimond van der GouwFreeGraeme Tomlinson100,000
Ronny Johnsen1.2MDavid May1.4M
Ole1.5MNick Culkin250,000
Teddy Sheringham3.5MWilliam PrunierFree
Henning Berg5MTony Coton500,000
Jaap Stam10.7MKarel Poborsky3.5M
Dwight Yorke12.6MJordi Cruyff1.3M
Mikael Silvestre4MErik NevlandUndisclosed
RVN19MJonathan Greening500,000
Laurent BlancFreeJesper Blomqvist4.4M
Rio Ferdinand27MMark BosnichFree
C.Ronaldo12.3MQuinton Fortune1.5M
Louis Saha12.8MMassimo Taibi4.5M
Wayne Rooney25.6MBojan Djordjic1.5M
Nemanja Vidic7MFabien Barthez7.8M
Patrice Evra5.5MJuan Veron28M
Edwin van der Sar2MRoy Carroll2.5M
Park Ji-Sung4MKieron RichardsonFree
Michael Carrick18.6MDiego Forlan6.9M
Nani21MLuke Steele500,000
Carlos Tevez20MRicardo Lopez1.5M
RafaelDavid Bellion2M
Dimitar Berbatov30.75MEric Djembax23.5M
Antonio Valencia16MTim Howard2.3M
Chris Smalling10MKleberson6.5M
ChicaritoLee Martin200,000
Ashley Young17MDong500,000
DDG19MAlan Smith7M
RVP24MGabriel Heinze6.9M
Liam MillerFree
Ben Foster1M
Owen Hargreaves17M
Anderson20M
Thomas Kuszczak4.3M
Manucho1M
Fabio3M
Rodrigo Possebon3.5M
Zoran Tosic6M
Ritchie De Laet200,000
Michael OwenFree
Gabriel Obertan3.5M
Mame Diouf4.0M
Bebe7.4M
Anders Lindegaard3.5M
Phil Jones16.5M
Nick Powell6M
Shinji Kagawa12M
Angelo Henriquez5M
Alexander Buttner4.5M
Wilfred Zaha15M

I think your list is way too black and white. It doesn't consider things like near career ending injuries: Dublin and Smith. I would also question how you can consider a player signed for free a bad transfer. Sure, those guys might not live up to expectations, but they don't really compare to a record signing like Veron.

There are also a few odd names on the list. I don't understand why a decent enough talent like Nevland is doing on there, you would have to add hundreds of youngsters to the list if you want to justify his addition. I'd also say that a guys like May, Carroll and Lindegaard were decent enough squad players.

As for Zaha I would keep him out of a SAF list since he never was his manager. If he could make a guy like Anderson look good, just imagine what he potentially could have done with Zaha. Speculation I know, but just look at how Moyes failed to get anything out of a lot good players who had just won the league.

Anyway, the guys in bold in you original table are players I think you'd be unfair to consider bad signing compared to the obvious shitty ones.

I wouldn't really class Kieran Richardson as a buy either - he'd only just turned 17 when he joined us and was obviously just a youth transfer. I'd actually forgotten he hadn't completely come through the ranks.
a young player, who breaks through into the first team, plays for England and makes a valuable contributions as a squad player, who we sell for a decent fee is now considered a dud!

come on.