Ferguson says Gerrard is better than Keane and Vieira

Re_Deus

Little Englander
Well okay, not better than Keane but we can't expect him to admit that much. Still, high praise indeed from the man who's not renowned for praising any player but those from his own team.
Ferguson salutes Gerrard

Sir Alex Ferguson said Liverpool star Steven Gerrard would be an ideal replacement for Roy Keane.
The Manchester United boss said he rates the England star even more highly than Arsenal skipper Patrick Vieira.

"He has become the most influential player in England, bar none. Not that Vieira lacks anything, but Gerrard does more," Ferguson told the Sunday Times.

"To me, Gerrard is Keane. He is where Keane was when Roy came to us in 1993. Everywhere the ball is, he is there."

Ferguson would not be drawn on whether he would consider bidding for Gerrard, merely commenting that such a transfer would be "complicated".

But the Scot said any team in the world would like to have Gerrard in their team.

"He's got that unbelievable engine, desire, determination. Anyone would take Gerrard," he said.

"Vieira has done that job for Arsenal for two or three years. But you can see Gerrard rising and rising."

toml

Toml 23rd Jan 2005 12:05 "We'll be in the CL next
He'll be better soon - loads of time on his hands.

DJSpaz

Incredibly Stupid Bitter Biased Embarrassing Caf C
Like Nottingham Forest...you've won it two times..
I'm sorry, but Gerrard IS better than Keane right now.

Even Keane himself has expressed opinions to the effect that he's not the player he used to be.

Gerrard is now better, and that is not even in question.

Cal?

CR7 fan
DJS said:
I'm sorry, but Gerrard IS better than Keane right now.

Even Keane himself has expressed opinions to the effect that he's not the player he used to be.

Gerrard is now better, and that is not even in question.
If "now" means this very moment where Keane is injured, I totally agree with you. :smirk:

Drifter

American
Until gerrard as acheived what Keane as done in football he will never be better than Keane.And staying with the dippers he will never find out.

Murt

Hes been trying his hollywood passes all season and at last one comes off and then the dippers reckon hes surpassed Keane :houllier:
Hell never surpass Keane as long as hes playing with a team not able to challenge for the big honours. Liverpool will hold him back from developping into a player as good as Keane.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
He doesn't say Gerrard is better than Vieira, he says more influential. I agree because unlike Gerrard Vieira is playing with good players but Gerrard is playing with decent players who have under-performed most of the season.

Stoned.Rose

F.C.U.M.
thewelshconjurer said:
:rolleyes:

already done in transfer forum
WTF is a topic about Fergie saluting another player doing in the transfer forum.

P.S. Sentences should begin with a capital letter.

DJSpaz

:lol:

So because Keane has won more, that makes him better? :houllier:

Well Alan Hansen has won more than Rio - who would you rather have NOW? :rolleyes:

David May must be better than John Terry and Woodgate.

Forlan must better than Gudjohnsen.

Butt must be better than Lampard. :rolleyes:

You mancs are such bitter cnuts when you want to be.
Sad, blinkered fools.

Drifter

American
DJS said:

Well Alan Hansen has won more than Rio - who would you rather have NOW? :rolleyes:

Hansen must be in his late forties i would tend to go for the younger Rio.
:houllier:

vijay

Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo
DJS said:

David May must be better than John Terry and Woodgate.

Forlan must better than Gudjohnsen.

Butt must be better than Lampard. :rolleyes:

You mancs are such bitter cnuts when you want to be.
Sad, blinkered fools.

Expressions of Bigotry

So you mean to say Keane's contribution was zero in our premiership and
Eroupean success?

Davo

Of course Gerrard's better than Keane..

and I take Demento's point that he does more for his team than Vieira does for him..

He's the King, and will get better and better...

Bow down before him

Davo

Murt said:
Hes been trying his hollywood passes all season .
No he hasn't.

He has however, been superb...and if it were not for the superlative Henry would be the stand out player in England.

Its no wonder so many of your fans drool over the fantasy of signing him...including your manager it seems

What a fantastic pass yesterday mind....absolutely pinpoint

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Is Gerard better than the present day Roy Keane? YES

Is Gerard better than what Roy Keane was at his peak/before injury? NO

but he has the potential to be.. whether he can fulfil that potential at Anfield or not remains to be seen

vijay

DJS said:
Of course i'm not saying that. Keane WAS awesome. But now his time is up and Gerrard is now better. Simple as that.
Gerrard is now better? How can you compare players from different generations and conclude A is better than B.You are trying to compare a legend in the twilight of his career - but has established himself as an all time great with a boy who is yet to deliver at the highest level

Even Lampard has had a better season than Gerrard? So he is better than Gerrard Do you agree?

DJSpaz

vijay_vr said:
Gerrard is now better? How can you compare players from different generations and conclude A is better than B.You are trying to compare a legend in the twilight of his career - but has established himself as an all time great with a boy who is yet to deliver at the highest level

Even Lampard has had a better season than Gerrard? So he is better than Gerrard Do you agree?

They've played in the same matches against each other - how can they be from different generations? Isnt a generation considered to be 25 years? :houllier:

And i disagree that Lampard has had a better season than Gerrard.

Say what you like, Gerrard is better than Keane.

DJSpaz

golden_blunder said:
Is Gerard better than the present day Roy Keane? YES

Is Gerard better than what Roy Keane was at his peak/before injury? NO

but he has the potential to be.. whether he can fulfil that potential at Anfield or not remains to be seen
So you agree that Gerrard is better. That's all i was saying.

Re_Deus

Little Englander
Gerrard is as good as Keane ever was. In fact, he's better. He has everything Keane had and more - the only thing he lacks is good teammates, which Keane has always had. Comparing the present day Keane to Gerrard is a joke. The poor man's on his last legs as a professional player and is half the player Gerrard is. But Keane in his pomp and Gerrard of today is a good comparasion, one which Gerrard still shades IMO. The quality of his passing, his crossing, vision and versatility is superior to Keane even in his heyday. And he has all of Keane's desire, effort and engine.

However, if Gerrard is to attain true greatness, I think he's going to have to leave Liverpool, especially if the scousers continue in being so far behind the big 3.

vijay

DJS says :lol:

"They've played in the same matches against each other - how can they be from different generations? Isnt a generation considered to be 25 years? :houllier: "

You mean to say Keane and Gerrards names were featured in their respective teamsheets -whenever Manchester United faced Liverpool.
everytime since 93...:houllier:

DJS says

"And i disagree that Lampard has had a better season than Gerrard.

Say what you like, Gerrard is better than Keane."

I know you dont agree with the facts.This season Lampard has scored more goals than Gerrard and the last time I checked the table the team he represents are 19 points ahead of Liverpool combined with a semifinal appearence in the CL. what more can you expect?.He has had a better season than Gerrard

giggzy

The Fatter Bryan Robson
Right now, the Gypsy is playing at a higher level than Keane...

Whether he'll ever be as good as Keane was in his pomp is another matter. He's got a lot to do before we can even mention them in the same sentance.

And I agree with the Liverpool fans. He's much better than Lampard. (actually we can't really compare them as they're different types of players.......)

Davo

Re_Deus said:
Gerrard is as good as Keane ever was. In fact, he's better. He has everything Keane had and more -
He certainly has more ability than him, and is now bossing games and dominating opponents on a consistent level.

In fairness, he needs to do it for a length of time before he can be favourably compared to Keane overall. But I've no doubt this will happen.

He's a pleasure to watch, he's the type of player fans would have loved to be and his determination and desire matches his undoubted talent.

Hopefully with a few decent purchases in the summer, and if Owen stays - and stays fit - we can become the team he deserves to lead..

Davo

vijay_vr said:
DJS says :lol:

"They've played in the same matches against each other - how can they be from different generations? Isnt a generation considered to be 25 years? :houllier: "

You mean to say Keane and Gerrards names were featured in their respective teamsheets -whenever Manchester United faced Liverpool.
everytime since 93...:houllier:

DJS says

"And i disagree that Lampard has had a better season than Gerrard.

Say what you like, Gerrard is better than Keane."

I know you dont agree with the facts.This season Lampard has scored more goals than Gerrard and the last time I checked the table the team he represents are 19 points ahead of Liverpool combined with a semifinal appearence in the CL. what more can you expect?.He has had a better season than Gerrard
and feck knows what you're wittering on about...

Gerrard is better than Lampard and Keane

Alek M

Da manic one
SAF just testing the waters and waithing to see if Gerrard will say that SAF is better than Houlier (we all know he is), so that we can snap him.

Keane16

Redcafe Minister for Guinness Therapy
Gerrard was stunning yesterday and if there was a hope in hell of us signing him - we should do everything to try and make it happen.

Watching Gerrard yesterday, only one player sprung to mind - Keane at his peak. The performance yesterday was certainly at that level and there is no way I would attempt to deny it.

Having said that, Davo is right. Week in week out was Keane's game. Every match, every tackle, the mentality drive and ferocity of leading a great club to the pinnacle of domestic and European achievement - that was Keane's game. Not to mention carrying an entire country to heights it should have had no right to achieve.

Gerrard is a similar player, has a lot of those qualities and may have the rest - he hasn't had the opportunity yet to show it.

But sign him now for God's sake.

Alek M

Da manic one
Keane16 said:
Gerrard is a similar player, has a lot of those qualities and may have the rest - he hasn't had the opportunity yet to show it.

But sign him now for God's sake.
He is playing for a shite manager. It is a dicussion for a different topic, but Liverpool has had great pool of players recently and have won feck all. Gerrard needs to join a team that can elevate him to higher grounds :devil: .