Television Fictional football TV shows/movies

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
What fictional series and movies about football do you remember?

I was thinking about Dream Team from the early 2000s. It was good as football soap opera. I think Sky could easily revive it in some form and it would do well especially as Premier League football is even more popular now.

Footballers Wives was the pinnacle of football TV series. It was on par with The Wire for me.

RedDevilRoshi

I remember the Goal films when I was younger. About the young Mexican footballer who signs for Newcastle. Pretty decent watch. 2nd one is when he wins the CL with Real Madrid. Not bad but I preferred the 1st one. 3rd one is absolutely brutal. The director must have been on illegal drugs for that one.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Being: Liverpool

"Watch your mouth kid, or you're gonna find yourself floating home."

Bojan11

What fictional series and movies about football do you remember?

I was thinking about Dream Team from the early 2000s. It was good as football soap opera. I think Sky could easily revive it in some form and it would do well especially as Premier League football is even more popular now.

Footballers Wives was the pinnacle of football TV series. It was on par with The Wire for me.
Dream team was great.

But all the killings were all over the top, if you don’t mind me saying horsey my good friend.

Why would you have that many killings in a football show? Wouldn’t it be easier to just transfer them? It is a football show not the sopranos. That was my biggest gripe about it.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Dream team was great.

But all the killings were all over the top, if you don’t mind me saying horsey my good friend.

Why would you have that many killings in a football show? Wouldn’t it be easier to just transfer them? It is a football show not the sopranos. That was my biggest gripe about it.
Are you saying that footballers aren't killed in real life?

You'd be shocked at the Glazers' body count!

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Dream Team was fantastic.

I remember they bought Luke Davenport from Barcelona for €40 million......then he went blind.

OleBoiii

Giant Killing

I'm not a huge fan of anime(series), and I will be the first to admit that this series is very flawed(which is probably why only one season was released). If you want to watch actual good sports anime, go for Haikyuu or Hajime No Ippo. Having said that though: Giant Killing is surprisingly clever at times. First you have the characters: the proud captain, the unpolished youngster, the lazy genius etc. Everyone who's into football know these types. Then you have the ultras and how you need to deal with them as the coach of a small cub. But the best part, in my opinion, is the man management and tactics from the coach, who's also the main character. I'll give a few examples of his tactics:

1. Removing all the balls from the training complex apart from one and have his team fight over it. He then studies the team dynamics while hiding in the bushes. Who's actually in charge? How much do the regulars bully the weaker players? Which of the weak players have the guts to stand up to the bullying?

2. Making the team run an absurd number of sprints. Everyone thinks it's all about getting the best time possible, but what he's actually looking for is the players who's best time doesn't differ too much from his worst time. It's a stamina test disguised as a sprinting test.

3. Identifying the captain, who's loved by the ultras and is basically untouchable, as a toxic influence on the team. The coach strips him of the captain's armband and makes him redeem himself.

Anustart89

I wonder why nobody's made a kid's show about a football team.

I mean like an animated show about humanoid foxes who play in a football team, with it being a tale about friendship and football. Seriously, every football interested kid for the next 50 years would have their parents buy the DVDs. You'd be swimming in cash.

Or why not some sort of modern football equivalent to Mighty Ducks?

Riz

I remember the Goal films when I was younger. About the young Mexican footballer who signs for Newcastle. Pretty decent watch. 2nd one is when he wins the CL with Real Madrid. Not bad but I preferred the 1st one. 3rd one is absolutely brutal. The director must have been on illegal drugs for that one.
Yeh I have fond memories of Goal 1 and 2, haven’t seen them for years though so don’t know if they’ve aged well.

Goal 3 was a joke, I remember watching it at the time as a kid and thinking it was awful. What baffled me was that it focused on completely new characters but didn’t even have the excuse of doing that because the original Santiago actor wasn’t available - he’s in the film but in more of a bit part which is really bizarre.

Hoof the ball

Renford Rejects - Teen-age comedy about crap players trying to win.....anything.
When Saturday Comes - Sean Bean's character playing for Sheff. Utd.
I.D. - About an undercover police officer who tries to infiltrate a large gang of hooligans.
All in the Game - Lineker's Barca story told through the fictional character, Darren Matthews.

Matty7

I remember watching Renford Rejects when I was younger. Absolutely loved that show at the time. Just found a clip on YouTube... Its dreadful!

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
I wonder why nobody's made a kid's show about a football team.

I mean like an animated show about humanoid foxes who play in a football team, with it being a tale about friendship and football. Seriously, every football interested kid for the next 50 years would have their parents buy the DVDs. You'd be swimming in cash.

Or why not some sort of modern football equivalent to Mighty Ducks?
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt10399630/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_2

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'm I right in remembering The Hurricanes only ever played against one opponent - their arch rivals?

Hoof the ball

I'm I right in remembering The Hurricanes only ever played against one opponent - their arch rivals?
No, no, they played other matches but usually not ones on the actual football field. I remember an episode where they played what looked like a tribe of native Incas who played barefooted outside an ancient temple.

Red Stone

Yeh I have fond memories of Goal 1 and 2, haven’t seen them for years though so don’t know if they’ve aged well.

Goal 3 was a joke, I remember watching it at the time as a kid and thinking it was awful. What baffled me was that it focused on completely new characters but didn’t even have the excuse of doing that because the original Santiago actor wasn’t available - he’s in the film but in more of a bit part which is really bizarre.
To this day Goal 3 is still the worst movie I've ever seen. An absolute insult to the franchise, and humanity in general. As a standalone movie it's pure shite and as a continuation of the story from the first two it's even worse. The fact that the second movie ended on a cliffhanger with Santiago's relationship problems and the pregnancy makes it even more of a slap in the face. I have a deep, seething, borderline irrational hatred of that movie and nothing will ever change my mind on the matter. Feck Goal 3.