g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Fifa president Gianni Infantino pulled into corruption scandal by Panama Papers

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
FIFA involved in corruption scandal, I can't believe that for a second :smirk:

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
It's UEFA this time around, and Infantino co-signed documents. He may be not as smart as Blatter.

Files seen by the Guardian will raise questions about the role Fifa’s president, Gianni Infantino, played in deals that were concluded when he was director of legal services at Uefa, European football’s governing body.

According to records, Uefa concluded offshore deals with one of the indicted figures at the heart of an alleged “World Cup of fraud” despite previously insisting it had no dealings with any of them.

The emergence of the contracts from 2003 and 2006, which were co-signed by Infantino, link Uefa for the first time to one of the companies involved in the huge unfolding scandal that has brought down former Fifa president Sepp Blatter.

Uefa has denied any wrongdoing by any of its officials or any other marketing partner.

izec

Of course, what could have gone wrong with Infantini :lol:

He worked for Platini FFS or whatever the corrupt baldhead was doing there. How the feck did he get the job is beyond me, ridiculous. He is Blatter, just 40 years younger.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Incredible. These guys do not even care anymore, it was The Wild West. They did whatever the feck they wanted to do.

Red Stone

I, for one, am completely flabbergasted by the fact that the words 'FIFA' and 'corruption' are in the same headline.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
What a shocker...
When is the next election or is staying in office because he was backed by the anti corruption voices...

GimmeAKitKat

Four Brown Fingers
Shock Horror! Long standing Fifa official dealing daily with corrupt bosses turns out to also be corrupt. I just did not see this coming.

Anyone who ever thought or thinks Infantino has never been involved in the multitudes of dodgy stuff going on at Fifa was/is just delusional. It was/is rife and they all at the very least knew and did nothing, likely most are all just as guilty as those already proven so.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That will be him gone then.

The only way to fix FIFA is to disband it entirely and start again, with salary caps, independent financial monitoring, fixed term presidents/all board positions.

Also, and racist as it sounds, no involvement from minor footballing countries or countries with no footballing history.

FIFA isn't there to spread football, it's there to manage football as it is now, developing football should be the responsibility of an entirely unrelated organisation that is funded and administered entirely separately.

Kopral Jono

The only way to fix FIFA is to disband it entirely and start again, with salary caps, independent financial monitoring, fixed term presidents/all board positions.

Also, and racist as it sounds, no involvement from minor footballing countries or countries with no footballing history.

FIFA isn't there to spread football, it's there to manage football as it is now, developing football should be the responsibility of an entirely unrelated organisation that is funded and administered entirely separately.
Absolutely. Sometimes things need to be destroyed before they can be fixed.

Loublaze

ATLien
Can't have fun with Panama papers snooping around. I need to close on my get-away island before they get me next

Sid234

The entire football governing system needs a purge.. They've let corruption go unchecked for far too long.. It's not as simple as getting rid of blatter, problem goes much deeper by the looks of it

Crossie

Supports
Unfortunately I don't think so. He'll get away with it unless there's more to come.

I entirely agree but am convinced that much more needs to be done. It won't happen though. Not at all.

Regarding your point of smaller footballer nations: As you can see at FIFA, corruption and people without morals isn't limited to small nations. Chuck Blazer was a representative for the Untited States, Platini for UEFA and/or France, Franz Beckenbauer for Germany, ... you name them.

The entire football world is rotten. Look at who enabled that big money TV rights system at FIFA: Adidas / their chairman in the 1980ies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Sport_and_Leisure

Last edited:

Crossie

Supports
What I like about this is that now UEFA, having been in bed with FIFA / Blatter for decades and just began distancing themselves a bit from Blatter after the first arrests in May 2015, is caught. It was obvious to everyone that UEFA is hardly better than FIFA and their critique was hypocritcal.

ForlansHair

Having read what went on, I can't see what Infantino did wrong or what he's being accused of. All he did was work for UEFA at a time when they sold TV rights to the Ecuadorian company. There's nothing dodgy there at all.

It may be a bit weird UEFA denied he had any deals with any of the companies involved, but as the director of legal services, I imagine he signed off many many such deals in his time.

Crossie

Supports
Having read what went on, I can't see what Infantino did wrong or what he's being accused of. All he did was work for UEFA at a time when they sold TV rights to the Ecuadorian company. There's nothing dodgy there at all.

It may be a bit weird UEFA denied he had any deals with any of the companies involved, but as the director of legal services, I imagine he signed off many many such deals in his time.
The question is why the price for the TV rights for the Champions League were so low to guys with such a track record.

ForlansHair

The question is why the price for the TV rights for the Champions League were so low to guys with such a track record.
Was the price low? I have no idea what the value of the rights were for the preceding deal.

Infantino says that he wasn't involved in the selling process at all, and it was all done by the marketing team. This would be standard corporate practice in my opinion.

Did they have a track record in the first place? If so, how could Infantino know this if it was all hidden away? Obviously the only answer to that is if he was in on it, but his name doesn't appear on the subsequent sale transaction.

Crossie

Supports
Was the price low? I have no idea what the value of the rights were for the preceding deal.

Infantino says that he wasn't involved in the selling process at all, and it was all done by the marketing team. This would be standard corporate practice in my opinion.

Did they have a track record in the first place? If so, how could Infantino know this if it was all hidden away? Obviously the only answer to that is if he was in on it, but his name doesn't appear on the subsequent sale transaction.
If Infantino (co-)signed, he's ultimately also responsible. It's also his job to ensure that things are clean. he must have been blind, deaf and utterl retarded to not know what was going on.
As written above, he won't fall over this incident because no truly independent body will ever investigate. He and UEFA will get away with public denial unless there's more to come. However, journos have no access to UEFA's computers and files, they can't investigate if Infantino or others got rewarded in one way or another.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
If Infantino (co-)signed, he's ultimately also responsible. It's also his job to ensure that things are clean. he must have been blind, deaf and utterl retarded to not know what was going on.
There is a difference between having failed to recognise and/or stamp out corruption and being corrupt yourself.

I expect him to be corrupt, but there is good reason to think that this case won't demonstrate him to be.

Crossie

Supports
There is a difference between having failed to recognise and/or stamp out corruption and being corrupt yourself.

I expect him to be corrupt, but there is good reason to think that this case won't demonstrate him to be.
It doesn't matter to me if he pretends to have failed to have recognised or stamped corruption. He proves that you cannot trust him that things wil be different under him at FIFA or that UEFA can be trusted. So far this was just gut feeling with no prove, now it becomes evident.

Last edited:

3Crowns

This is a weird one in my opinion.

On the face of it the legal department at UEFA has approved and signed a contract between UEFA and an entirely legal entity containing entirely acceptable terms. Whether or not you agree with the globalisation of trade and jurisdictions with different taxation and incorporation laws it would certainly be a dereliction of duty if he did not sign off such documents. As head of the legal department he is responsible for making sure that the contracts are acceptable for their stated purpose and protect the interests of the the organisation. He is not law enforcement or James Bond.

There are a lot of sticks to beat FIFA with but I really struggle to see how this one fits the corruption one.

Crossie

Supports
Brilliant: Swiss police raid UEFA HQs (SKY News).

Crossie

Supports
I wonder how many current and previous UEFA folks are getting nervous now. :drool:

Crossie

Supports

Apparently PanamaPaper findings added up to other investigations on TV rights by the Swiss Attorney General. Not specified which but any other than FIFA would be surprising.
I hope they find enough evidence against UEFA in the confiscated material that brings some of these bastards down.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
You can't make this shit up :lol: They get rid of several corrupt FIFA leaders and after electing the CL draw bald moron, it turns out he's corrupt as well :lol: It's beyond a joke now.