FIFA proposes a new quadrennial 24-team Club World Cup

Cal?

CR7 fan
Me too mate but we have that in the Champions League, this will only dilute that. It will be played directly after the latter stages of the Uefa Champions League the year it happens, most likely with the same teams in contention. I just don't see the point.
It's fun to be invited to an exclusive party. :D

Most countries don't have a League cup though mate. And i think it's unfair to relegate more sides than usual and reduce the league sizes just to accommodate the leagues richest clubs to go off for a summer tournament that will make them even richer. The Pl clubs would never vote for that.
It really doesn't take that long, 2 weeks after the season's end. It seems the PL lower clubs have too much power, it's always them against everything. :mad:

Trizy

Take part, take the £50m, play youths and get knocked out nice and early.

stevoc

It's fun to be invited to an exclusive party. :D

It really doesn't take that long, 2 weeks after the season's end. It seems the PL lower clubs have too much power, it's always them against everything. :mad:
They do but the Premier League was set-up with every club having the same vote. It's only natural the majority of clubs vote against the interests of the richest clubs.

Cal?

CR7 fan
They do but the Premier League was set-up with every club having the same vote. It's only natural the majority of clubs vote against the interests of the richest clubs.
Not disagreeing with any of that, but just sucks to be in that position.;

Could have been a pro

Reduce the number of league games or drop the league cup
League cup is good for the lesser teams that might otherwise have no chance at winning a cup. I'd chop off a few games from the league, but rather not have this new FIFA initiative. Just leave it as is.

Cal?

CR7 fan
League cup is good for the lesser teams that might otherwise have no chance at winning a cup. I'd chop off a few games from the league, but rather not have this new FIFA initiative. Just leave it as is.
I only care about what's good for United.

The more exclusive the entry to this thing and the more money the better. :D

SirAF

Ageist
Indeed, a closed shop competition with the traditional mega clubs of Europe that excludes QSG and AbuCity. :drool:
«Want to buy the CL? feck you, we’ll devalue it and set up shop elsewhere» :D

Also, we’d do well to remember that United’s entry into the original European Cup was frowned upon - United should be pioneers in matters like these. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Ferguson speak positively about the Club World Cup - both in 99 and 2008.

Cal?

CR7 fan
«Want to buy the CL? feck you, we’ll devalue it and set up shop elsewhere» :D
It’s just great that neither have been able to get anywhere near the CL so far. It’s almost like the footballing gods don’t like them. :D

Feedingseagulls

I see that they plan to evolve this into places being based on tournament performances over the preceding years, starting with the 2nd iteration. However, their proposed methodology for (eg) Europe seems somewhat flawed:

The 8 CL finalists plus the next 4 best performing clubs based on their co-efficient iirc. This rather ignores the possibility of sides appearing in more than one CL final in those 4 years, so would that just mean more co-efficient-qualifying clubs?

Plus of course the eminent possibility that those qualifying courtesy their performance in the previous iteration of this tournament would be the same clubs qualifying through their performances over the next 4 years.

Still, all these are details. What some previous posters have missed is that the 'invitation only' system only applies to the 1st tournament. It is still likely to help preserve the rich elite though - and possibly drastically imbalance leagues with less money. The latter of course provides fertile ground for the corruption that international football organisations seem to love so much.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Making a quadrennial world cup in a club's competition is very tricky. Club's squads are vollatile, a lot can change during the years.

I can't see what this competition adds to the sport, except money for the clubs and FIFA.