Fifa to allow 5 substitutes 2020 and 2021

EwanI Ted

This is a radical change. Managers generally leave one sub til near the end to allow for injuries, which means in practice they only have two subs open to them for the first 70-ish minutes of a game. The result is that the earliest people make a change is half time, and most managers wait til 60 minutes. Now they can leave one til the end and still have four subs to play with mid-game, so its akin to doubling the number of subs for much of the match. It makes things like first half substitutes a viable option, or substituting substitutes (ignoring man management concerns). It also means that an underperforming team can make really radical changes, like taking off your entire back 4 and DM in a single go, or replacing every attacker on the pitch for an alternative. This won't just mean tweaks to a team mid-game, it'll mean wholesale transformation in formations and tactics are viable.

I think it will make for a more interesting game dynamic, but it does really favour the big clubs yet again. Not only are they the only ones who can afford like for like quality on the bench beyond the first couple of subs, it also makes it easier to carry big squads because they can spread their appearances across a larger group of players.

RyRy11

This is a radical change. Managers generally leave one sub til near the end to allow for injuries, which means in practice they only have two subs open to them for the first 70-ish minutes of a game. The result is that the earliest people make a change is half time, and most managers wait til 60 minutes. Now they can leave one til the end and still have four subs to play with mid-game, so its akin to doubling the number of subs for much of the match. It makes things like first half substitutes a viable option, or substituting substitutes (ignoring man management concerns). It also means that an underperforming team can make really radical changes, like taking off your entire back 4 and DM in a single go, or replacing every attacker on the pitch for an alternative. This won't just mean tweaks to a team mid-game, it'll mean wholesale transformation in formations and tactics are viable.

I think it will make for a more interesting game dynamic, but it does really favour the big clubs yet again. Not only are they the only ones who can afford like for like quality on the bench beyond the first couple of subs, it also makes it easier to carry big squads because they can spread their appearances across a larger group of players.
I think what you'd generally see is that managers wont change their squad until 60mins if they are confortably winning. However, I'd imagine if they're chasing the game they'll do at least one sub at half time, spread the other 2/3 in the second half and keep one towards the end just incase of injuries. Maybe they can use the subs in a much more reactionary manner than they do currently. I think you might see a whole front line change during the game but if they're still playing with 7 subs you're likely to only to have: 1 Gk, 2 defenders, 2 mids, 2 attackers on the bench. It'd be really interesting to see if the Bench options change to faciliate your idea though.

Smores

It's a terrible idea even if it will benefit us and other top clubs massively. Teams coming up have it hard enough competing with the ridiculous budgets of their competitors so they'll now have to also compete against greater depth.

It lessens greater fitness as a competitive advantage too.

SER19

Makes sense but advantageous for teams like city who have about 6 50m defenders

Judas

Open to offers
From a fitness stand point and due to the current situation, it's a smart and logical move. But from a tactical standpoint and just the general impact it'll have, which is huge, I can't say I like it.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Hate this idea. It gives teams like Man City, who have overspent to gain a massive advantage squad wise an unfair advantage.

Now they can freshen up and bring on 5 world class, fresh players in a tough game where they are being contained.

At least with three subs, that kind of advantage is limited. If you beat the selected team, you deserve it.

Now you might have half a different team on for the last 20 minutes, and you don’t have the quality on your own bench to bring on.

Deery

Dreary
It’s a terrible idea, clubs with money will have a totally unfair advantage.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Don't like it. I've advocated reducing the number of players allowed on the bench before because as subs benches have grown and the number of subs used has too the richer teams have become more and more dominant as they've been able to stockpile players. It's made winning through wealth easier when you can just sub off one very expensive player for another who plays the same position.

If it's been trialed in UEFA league as stated then it sounds like it was in the pipeline anyway.

Edit: I remember reading a thread about this article a while back - https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...l-man-utd-barcelona-real-madrid-a9330431.html

Just leads to more and more of that.

Last edited: