Fifa to introduce new agent regulations and limit commission

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
New regulations to be introduced next year mean the amount of money agents earn from transfer deals will be made public, says world governing body Fifa.

An agent representing a selling club can earn a maximum of 10% of the transfer value.

Will this do anything to the likes of Raiola and Haaland transfer types or is it just bollocks?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54834219

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
New regulations to be introduced next year mean the amount of money agents earn from transfer deals will be made public, says world governing body Fifa.

An agent representing a selling club can earn a maximum of 10% of the transfer value.

Will this do anything to the likes of Raiola and Haaland transfer types or is it just bollocks?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54834219
You'll see players moving more often.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
You'll see players moving more often.
Maybe. I suspect bigger clubs would be less keen on players with that kind of mentality (never mind agent).

This is way overdue. I hope this actually happens and isn't just another circulation of plans (it says it's in the "third round of consultation").

PoTMS

Good. Run that fat cnut Raiola out of business.

InfiniteBoredom

Does this stop the agent from owning a stake in the player? What’s to stop the likes of Raiola and Mendez, instead of receiving commission, just get part of the transfer fee as stipulated by their ownership?

Sounds like lots of bark and no bite for me, probably work for the rungs below but will do feck all to the superagents.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Should be positive for players overall. If agents are limited to fixed number of players on their books they'll have more time to work for them.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
These numbers are still too high for the kind of transfer deals which go around today.

A good way to balance the agent compensation would be to enable players to pick agents more effectively with better information. Once an agent picks up a promising talent, they stick together through thick and thin. You always see shady/unexpected player transfer every now and then due to this. You rarely see players switching agents even at the highest levels. Sure, that might be because they like the agent's services, but I'd assume at lower levels it's because the players don't know any better.

Can't understand what rational reason there might be for this, apart from allowing clubs & agents easier access to young talents.
The rules will also bar family members from acting for a player in transfer deals unless the family member is a licensed agent.

Teja

Seems positive at a first glance, at least the intent is right. They need to follow up quickly and squash workarounds as they inevitably appear.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
10% is still too high but the intention is good.
2-5% like brokers would be good.

choccy77

The players should pay their own agents fee's.... it's pathetic.

Withnail

10% is still too high but the intention is good.
2-5% like brokers would be good.
It's only 10% if they are representing the club but 10% was always fairly standard wasn't it?

Commission will be capped at 3% of a player's salary when representing a player, 3% of a player's salary when representing the buyer and 6% when the same agent represents both the player and the buyer.

It's a good thing as far as I'm concerned and there's some good stuff about removing conflicts of interest.

Skills

Snitch
The players should pay their own agents fee's.... it's pathetic.
Is correct. Any fee the agent earns should come directly from the players signing on bonus.

You might say the player might just ask for bigger bonuses, but when the players start seeing money leaving their own accounts they'll start considering if they need to be represented by an agent.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Clubs will just pay agents retainers or something similar to bypass it
These numbers are still too high for the kind of transfer deals which go around today.

A good way to balance the agent compensation would be to enable players to pick agents more effectively with better information. Once an agent picks up a promising talent, they stick together through thick and thin. You always see shady/unexpected player transfer every now and then due to this. You rarely see players switching agents even at the highest levels. Sure, that might be because they like the agent's services, but I'd assume at lower levels it's because the players don't know any better.

Can't understand what rational reason there might be for this, apart from allowing clubs & agents easier access to young talents.
I’d have said it has the opposite effect. A licensed agent will have much more idea what they are doing and are less likely to be taken advantage of. A parent, even acting in their kids best interest, is out of their depth as a agent really. Would at least mean that the parent would need to take some sort of course/license to better help them represent their kid.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
I’d have said it has the opposite effect. A licensed agent will have much more idea what they are doing and are less likely to be taken advantage of. A parent, even acting in their kids best interest, is out of their depth as a agent really. Would at least mean that the parent would need to take some sort of course/license to better help them represent their kid.
Yes, an experienced agent with contacts would always be helpful. Yet a lot of the top players get by fine with their parent/sibling managing them, which tells me that this isn't a difficult job if you're managing a player in demand. While it would be good for the relatives to complete the agent training, the case I'm thinking about here, for example, is a young Brazilian kid from a favela who is signing their first pro contract at age 16. Their family might not have sufficient time/money to pursue a certification before they breakthrough, these players would always have to sign up with a pro agent.

Traub

Player transfer churn just like insurance policy churn on its way... I haven't read through it, but there should be a clawback on fees paid to Agents if a player transfers again within a certain time period.

MattofManchester

How dare they stop Raiola from becoming even more of a fat bastard?!

He will be appalled. He wants to be renowned as the fattest ugliest bastard of them all.