Gaming Final Fantasy XVI (PS5)

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
There is a harder ‘Final Fantasy’ mode which unlocks upon completion - but difficulty has always been an isssue in FF games. I don’t think I’ve ever found any of them hard.

I did enjoy this game overall - some of the bosses and cutscenes were incredible. Though it does suffer from the usual open world stuff. And I wasn’t to happy with the ending.
Why couldnt they just include higher difficulty settings from the get go? The studio must have noticed how easy the normal mode is before launch.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Why couldnt they just include higher difficulty settings from the get go? The studio must have noticed how easy the normal mode is before launch.
Because they wanted to create the most generic possible game to appeal to the masses and it backfired.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Hard mode isn't hard either. It's probably 'normal' level in traditional FF games and normal mode is easy, as said, to likely appeal on a mass scale.

rio's upper lip

Guys, I’m dying here.

Listen, this game started out great. The first sequence got me proper hooked, and I couldn’t wait to learn more about the goings on in the realm. I was particularly intrigued by Joshua/Phoenix. Ultima and the girly looking guy with the side braids also piqued my interest, and kinda still do. And what the heck is even a Mythos? Dunno, but I sort of enjoy that part.

I’m now out here running errand for some no mark Madame. A guy called Goetz is here, talking shite. Every boss fight is excruciatingly long, and when the third iteration of the boss is dead, they smack you with the fourth, fifth and sixth. A guy named Otto stands in the same place for weeks on end, boring as all hell. Also, talks out of his ass about boring dullagery. And now I gotta travel to three boring towns to solve their dumb dilemmas. That’s where I’m at now. I can’t bring myself to turn the game on to spend an hour doing dumb quests for dumb townsfolk with severe charisma deficits.

Please, give me some hope for the end of the game. Is there some grand crescendo coming? This game is dying for me as it is.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Guys, I’m dying here.

Listen, this game started out great. The first sequence got me proper hooked, and I couldn’t wait to learn more about the goings on in the realm. I was particularly intrigued by Joshua/Phoenix. Ultima and the girly looking guy with the side braids also piqued my interest, and kinda still do. And what the heck is even a Mythos? Dunno, but I sort of enjoy that part.

I’m now out here running errand for some no mark Madame. A guy called Goetz is here, talking shite. Every boss fight is excruciatingly long, and when the third iteration of the boss is dead, they smack you with the fourth, fifth and sixth. A guy named Otto stands in the same place for weeks on end, boring as all hell. Also, talks out of his ass about boring dullagery. And now I gotta travel to three boring towns to solve their dumb dilemmas. That’s where I’m at now. I can’t bring myself to turn the game on to spend an hour doing dumb quests for dumb townsfolk with severe charisma deficits.

Please, give me some hope for the end of the game. Is there some grand crescendo coming? This game is dying for me as it is.
:lol: I think you're maybe at the part where it feels like it's coming to the end before it then drags you into a bit more side quest grinding (then the end hits).

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Guys, I’m dying here.

Yeah that was my main issue with the game. I did love the major cut scenes and boss fights though (last boss is a great fight with some amazing music).

But yeah the filler and dull side quests were a chore.

Irwin99

Guys, I’m dying here.

Unfortunately you might just have to power on to the ending. You can just skip the dialogue for the crappy fetch quest main story parts. As others have mentioned there will be a big rage inducing moment where the game hits you with about 5 billion optional quests but just ignore them if you like and follow the main quest.

pacifictheme

Guys, I’m dying here.

It never really gets better. I had to force myself to finish it in the end. It was one of the biggest disappointments I have had gaming wise. Bad combat, bad characters, bad environments. Bad game.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I think both FFXV and FFXVI suffer from the same problem. Yes they're flashy. Yes everything feels more "real time". But at times they feel like watching a movie than actually playing a game. Maybe I'm just being a boomer but in older FFs (up to XIII at least), there was a lot of satisfaction beating bosses in the story that act like a wall for you to get through. Where preps and strats are more important than pressing the correct buttons sequence to perform optimal damage. I don't like the direction they're going where FF is becoming more like an action game, even worse it's a game that plays itself? Some normies back then had to try really hard to beat the game, they didnt have to unlock hard mode to be pulling their hair out if they played without guides. And that's the challenge and what we played the game for. Nowadays 'buy DLC and you'll get this item that will make your journey easier' (FFXV). Yes you can opt not use that item but the fact that such method exists feels weird already because that means you have to choose the hardest, non optimum way available to be able to enjoy difficult encounters otherwise they become a joke. I think XVI is also quite similar, equip items to reduce difficulty or dumb the game down.

Just make a normal game without gimmicky bullshit ffs. I swear if they make something like FFX but with new story and better graphics it's going to be more successful than trying to reinvent the game. FFXIII is the furthest battle system they should go for, just improve upon it than going all Devil May Cry.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think both FFXV and FFXVI suffer from the same problem. Yes they're flashy. Yes everything feels more "real time". But at times they feel like watching a movie than actually playing a game. Maybe I'm just being a boomer but in older FFs (up to XIII at least), there was a lot of satisfaction beating bosses in the story that act like a wall for you to get through. Where preps and strats are more important than pressing the correct buttons sequence to perform optimal damage. I don't like the direction they're going where FF is becoming more like an action game, even worse it's a game that plays itself? Some normies back then had to try really hard to beat the game, they didnt have to unlock hard mode to be pulling their hair out if they played without guides. And that's the challenge and what we played the game for. Nowadays 'buy DLC and you'll get this item that will make your journey easier' (FFXV). Yes you can opt not use that item but the fact that such method exists feels weird already because that means you have to choose the hardest, non optimum way available to be able to enjoy difficult encounters otherwise they become a joke. I think XIV also suffers from the same problem, equip items to reduce difficulty or dumb the game down.

Just make a normal game without gimmicky bullshit ffs. I swear if they make something like FFX but with new story and better graphics it's going to be more successful than trying to reinvent the game. FFXIII is the furthest battle system they should go for, just improve upon it than going all Devil May Cry.
I think FF7 Remake isn't too bad in terms of difficulty. There are some hairy moments if you have the wrong setup or strat.

This one though is very easy. Despite loving games I'm very average at them and this was a very easy platinum + I barely died at all or got close to it.