Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I keep seeing people saying there’s no way they play together. Why not

De Gea
RB CB CB LB
Matic
Bruno Pogba
van de Beek
CF CF​

Why on earth would this “not work” as I keep being told? Bruno plays as an 8 for Portugal & Pogba played in this exact position for Juve with Pirlo behind him, who was just as immobile as Matic

We don’t have any good wingers, so why sacrifice 2 of our most creative players to play 2 wingers who will be ineffective? Why sacrifice Pogba & VDB for Fred & McTomimay solely for “mobility” as if that is more important than quality. We need to try this because I see no reason why it wouldn’t work. Vidal, Marchisio & a Pirlo are not noticeably more mobile (everyone’s favourite word in England seemingly) than VDB, Bruno & Matic. I keep seeing “Pogba can’t play with an AM” why? He literally played the best football of his career with Vidal in front of him.

GenZRed

I'd consider swapping Bruno and VdB but other then that, seems like it could work.

The Urban Goose

Why? Are we not allowed to have squad depth? Do we have to shoe-horn all the attacking players in?

Or, and I know this isn't in vogue at the moment, why not have a balanced first XI with players in their best positions, and others resting ready to come off the bench or play in a later game?

Lynty

It'll be attempted at some point, give it chance.

romufc

Why? Are we not allowed to have squad depth? Do we have to shoe-horn all the attacking players in?

Or, and I know this isn't in vogue at the moment, why not have a balanced first XI with players in their best positions, and others resting ready to come off the bench or play in a later game?

This is the Caf.. the same fans criticised us for over using the same players and cried about squad depth.

Now we have depth, they want everyone to start... Its a joke.

You dont see City saying, lets start Rodri, Gundogan, KDB, Sterling, Torres, Aguero, Mahrez, Foden, Silva all in one team.

People need to understand we are playing 2 games a week, players will get injured, so having a squad is beneficial. Not just cry when a player hasnt started a league game in 5.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Won't work with the players you mentioned. When Pogba played with Pirlo, Vidal was a beast.

Historically check any diamond formation, you need 2 defensive minded players (remember not a player who has high work rate but someone who can actually defend the space when needed)

Matic,Scott,Pogba,Bruno would work though.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Swap VDB with Fernandes in that and it would be ok.
With Bruno at the 10 it would be more of a 4-3-3 with him at false 9 & Martial & Rashford on the wing. Could work I suppose but given his work rate & underrated tackling I would have him with Pogba as the 8’s. Donny is more accurate with his passing & link up play then Bruno.

Either or though, it would be better then benching good players & filling the team with average work horses like Fred & McTominay and one of the most ineffective wingers I’ve ever seen in James.

Smores

Bruno and Pogba give the ball away far too much for such a lineup to work. We might see it when we're chasing a game.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Won't work with the players you mentioned. When Pogba played with Pirlo, Vidal was a beast.

Historically check any diamond formation, you need 2 defensive minded players (remember not a player who has high work rate but someone who can actually defend the space when needed)

Matic,Scott,Pogba,Bruno would work though.
Scott is the least creative mid in our squad. He’s the last person I’d want in a diamond, especially with Bruno who gives the ball away a lot himself.

Rossa

Bruno and VdB can play any of the three behind the striker but they arent the quickest
Not many central midfielders are quicker than Bruno - he's more mobile than most and quick off the mark. Admittedly, I have not seen enough of VDB to make any conclusions. The odd one out is, and always will be, Pogba. He can make some surging runs into attack, but he is so ponderous getting back and tracking players, and he is quite slow off the mark. Adding Matic into the mix, and it's not the most mobile of teams. I think I would actually prefer a 3-5-2 with at least Telles as an attacking wingback and Shaw who often ventures into midfield positions.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Scott is the least creative mid in our squad. He’s the last person I’d want in a diamond, especially with Bruno who gives the ball away a lot himself.
Well, without him or Fred the formation wouldn't work. Simple .

You are just trying to accommodate all the players we have in one lineup without looking at the balance of the team and that's not how it works.

Reynoldo

Not many central midfielders are quicker than Bruno - he's more mobile than most and quick off the mark. Admittedly, I have not seen enough of VDB to make any conclusions. The odd one out is, and always will be, Pogba. He can make some surging runs into attack, but he is so ponderous getting back and tracking players, and he is quite slow off the mark. Adding Matic into the mix, and it's not the most mobile of teams. I think I would actually prefer a 3-5-2 with at least Telles as an attacking wingback and Shaw who often ventures into midfield positions.
I think your right and I agree. If only we had tried this in a recent big game to see if it resulted in a positive result and performance and built on it in the next game! :rolleyes:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

De Gea
RB CB CB LB
Matic
Bruno Pogba
van de Beek
CF CF​

Why on earth would this “not work” as I keep being told? Bruno plays as an 8 for Portugal & Pogba played in this exact position for Juve with Pirlo behind him, who was just as immobile as Matic
It could work in some games no doubt and looks formidable ... on paper.

I think I would actually prefer a 3-5-2 with at least Telles as an attacking wingback and Shaw who often ventures into midfield positions.
So could this, especially if Telles proves to be as good as he looked on his debut.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Because I want our best players to play, in a system that could work, rather than average players like Fred & McT, or a League 1 level Dan James.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Matic could barely run by the end of the last season, at the start of this one he was a statue, having him as the lone, immobile DM would be suicide. Not to mention we'd be cut through like a knife to hot butter with two poor defensive B2B players as the 2 in front of him, Pogba and van de Beek are both talented players but most teams would be licking their lips because their defensive capabilities are severely lacking. If you want any hope of a diamond working it cannot contain 3 attacking mids and the world's most immobile DM. If we were actually thinking of playing a diamond it would need to contain 2 of Fred, McTominay or Matic and 2 of Fernandes, Pogba or van de Beek.

Like others have said, I think the 3-5-2 is the formation that would suit our players best.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Who is providing the width in such lineup? Do you really want Bruno on the touchline waiting for a switch?

Bwuk

Who is providing the width in such lineup? Do you really want Bruno on the touchline waiting for a switch?
The full backs should be. All of our strikers are comfortable moving wide too.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I’m sure it could work but I don’t really see why we would try?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Why do Fred and/or McTominay deserve to be dropped for VdB and/or Pogba?

Nickosaur

I think it's too attacking and would need a more capable holding/shielding DM than Matic (nothing against him but he's getting on). I'm thinking a prime Mascherano or Makelele.

LoneStar

I see it more as an alternative than a comment on depth tbh. It’s not like we have the best wingers in the world, so it’s worth thinking about.

el3mel

This formation will get murdered defensively. Matic, the slowest and oldest of our DMFs will have to pretty much defend 90 minutes every game on his own.

It doesn't work because it's a very narrow formation

It is heavily unbalanced towards attacking play.

If you want to have that many attacking players on the pitch you're going to need a world class DM and two world class centre backs (which United don't have)

It's a formation that's best left to the computer games

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

This formation will get murdered defensively. Matic, the slowest and oldest of our DMFs will have to pretty much defend 90 minutes every game on his own.
Who defended for the City team that got 100 points? They had a midfield 3 of Fernandinho, Silva & De Bruyne.

Lee565

when ole was recently praising tuanzebe he brought up the fact that he can play in various positions and included being able to play in midfield, if that is the case then tuanzebe could be a good option to be used as a defensive midfielder next to the likes of pogba or vdb.

I don't see why vdb or Fernandes can't play as a winger in the side anyway, you have seen the likes of eriksen, ozil, de bruyne etc.. all play in them positions with success, then we would easily be able to fit them in the same team.

norm87cro

Not happening. That's too of a free midfield IMO. We definetly need Fred and Mctominay to put in a shift. Bruno is certainly first 11 and VDB and Pogba should slug it off for the place in the team.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
The full backs should be. All of our strikers are comfortable moving wide too.
But our full backs are not comfortable attacking wide. Maybe Telles can replace Shaw but that remains to be seen. Yes the strikers can occasionally provide width and that would help. Any opposing team, though, would know that AWB and Shaw are not a good threat and can defend the middle and stop us for the most part.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Fitting just two of them is problematic enough, let alone all 3.

RedCurry

At the moment Pogba and VDB should compete for starting spot but overall we have three midfielders and two of them should start almost all games where we are expected to dominate possession. Given the current form, I would start Bruno and VDB. Competition and strong bench is important if we ever want to try and win a proper trophy.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

De Gea
RB CB CB LB
Matic
Bruno Pogba
van de Beek
CF CF​

We don’t have any good wingers, so why sacrifice 2 of our most creative players to play 2 wingers who will be ineffective? Why sacrifice Pogba & VDB for Fred & McTomimay solely for “mobility” as if that is more important than quality. We need to try this because I see no reason why it wouldn’t work. Vidal, Marchisio & a Pirlo are not noticeably more mobile (everyone’s favourite word in England seemingly) than VDB, Bruno & Matic. I keep seeing “Pogba can’t play with an AM” why? He literally played the best football of his career with Vidal in front of him.
To be honest, I've not heard people saying it wouldn't work.. I've said this formation (swapping BF and DvdB) to a few people (or 532... said before PSG game).

Until Ole is confident in the defence, think he'll stick with current formation and a more defensive minded midfield most of the time.