Five Wasted Years, Four Managers and One CEO

MoskvaRed

Today is almost exactly five years to the day since David Moyes was dismissed following a wretched defeat to Everton at Goodison Park. In the intervening period, Louis Van Gaal and Jose Mourinho have followed Moyes out of the door, many hundreds of millions of pounds have been spent on transfers and wages on a squad that has become a curious mix of a revolving door and barnacle-like survivors from Ferguson’s last years. No title challenge has been mounted in that period and finishing outside the Top 4 no longer causes shock.

After a brief caretaker bounce under Ole, we are again in a dreadful downward spiral of form and today back to being humiliated by an average Everton team.

Throughout that period, an ex-accountant and investment banker with no background in football has remained in overall charge of the football side of the club despite sustained under-achievement on the pitch and a litany of mistakes.

As to what his “strategy” is for the football club, I have no idea as, apart from the occasional misjudged boast about United’s wealth, he largely conducts media briefings through leaks to the press.

However, no matter what United’s CEO thinks he is trying to achieve and even if his intentions are benign, it is becoming increasingly clear that the root cause of United’s decline goes beyond the identity of the patsy of the month in the dug out. Until the football operations are put in the hands of a competent professional and a better balance is struck between the football and commercial sides of the club, nothing will fundamentally change at United.

RG 11

I don't even understand why the board is fecking it up to this level. It's not like we aren't spending money. We've spent boatloads in the last 6 years. You'd think the board would go ahead and get a director of football and let Woodward do what he's good at. A successful man united makes them more money after all.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The lack of consequence for the board and Woodward thus far is remarkable. They have utterly and repeatedly failed in terms the actual football club part of this organisation without even being forced to restructure.

SER19

If we were a continental club there’d be people locked inside the stadium.

An absolute fecking joke each and every one of us is. This guys remit is to make money for glazers. That’s it. My money, your money and every other sad fecking sap that contributes to this club. There’s a place for anger at players, various managers. Of course. But the ugly monstrous head of this club needs to be chopped off. We are finished as a remotely significant club with him in charge. What has happened under his reign is one of the most dramatic declines in th history of professional sport. And he is absolutely untouchable. Some have made it taboo to even mention him, because he sanctioned the fecking waste of hundreds of millions

marktan

Been saying for years it's Ed and the board (Glazers) that are the issue. All that money and no clue how to run a football club. Those years under SAF hinder us now - it's made the higher ups think it's all about the manager, when nowadays it's not. You need a proper structure in place, a DOF, even a football operating team like City have that chose what sort of players we sign and what sort of football we play.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm not sure what Ed Woodward could have done which would have changed the performances against Arsenal, Wolves (twice), Barcelona and Everton today

He's just one of the problems but we already know that, doesn't need another thread

Un4givableB

The problem is not the players it's the club, the Glazers, their goal for the club is to be an Arsene Wenger's Arsenal, spend just enough to a comfortable top-four club.

Skills

Snitch
Solari was basically a caretaker manager though. In Spain you can only have a caretaker manager for 2 weeks so they pretty much had to sign him on.
They gave him a 3 year contract. I think they probably intended for him to start as manager next season, when they first gave it to him.

The club has been allowed to drift since the day Fergie left. A combination of incompetence and dereliction of duty; noses in the trough as we sink into obscurity.

Moriarty

I don't even understand why the board is fecking it up to this level. It's not like we aren't spending money. We've spent boatloads in the last 6 years. You'd think the board would go ahead and get a director of football and let Woodward do what he's good at. A successful man united makes them more money after all.
If you ask me, it's all about power with Woodward. He doesn't want to cede and if we had a good DoF, he might have to.

the chameleon

It’s all comes back to Ed! Surprised that there are people still defending him. His arrogance, ego and stupidity are the main reasons we are in this mess.

His list of negligent decisions would get most people fired. But he’s intouchable. Because the glazers are grateful that he got them to take over the club. If people people were to talk of villains at Man Utd. This man is the biggest one.

The sooner he’s removed, the sooner we can start thinking about rebuilding again.

There’s got to be more pressure put on this buffoon.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
They gave him a 3 year contract. I think they probably intended for him to start as manager next season, when they first gave it to him.
He was in a strong position to negotiate having won his 4 games with a 15:2 goal difference. The length isn't that big of a deal if he came cheap. Our managers were all a lot more expensive.

They probably intended him to start the next season, that's what you always hope however they might not have given him the contract if not for the rules in Spain. This is Real Madrid so sacking managers is no biggie for them. They would have sacked Solskjær by now.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Supporters need to man up and take this into their own hands and show the Glazers that they're not welcome here. Positive change won't happen with them in charge.

Reddy Rederson

The lack of consequence for the board and Woodward thus far is remarkable. They have utterly and repeatedly failed in terms the actual football club part of this organisation without even being forced to restructure.
They are bankers, it makes sense there’s no consequence for their endless feck ups.

0le

Putting aside the football on the pitch, his handling of contracts has been extremely poor, to the extent that I am surprised he has still managed to keep his job. In particular, the renewal of Jones and Young just seem absolutely bizarre decisions. Offering Sanchez astronomical wages, alongside a fairly long contract, was also just far too risky. He has not managed the club well. I think there may also exist another problem where he himself is not sure how much "power" the manager should have over transfers, and I think this creates some issues between the manager and CEO.

ErranMorad

Eddie needs to go back to doing what he did before he was made the CEO. His position is untenable (has been for a while). For our board to keep him in the job is a dereliction of their duties; bordering on criminal negligence.

the chameleon

Plus I think his ability to get Noodle deals is massively overrated. He has a team of sales, partnership and marketing people who work on that side of the business. If a member of staff gets a good deal, the CEO will always get the credit. Plus, this is Man Utd, a global brand their selling, not AFC Telford United. I'm sure his business side is good for an accountant. But he's no marketing genius. He's not even a marketer.

I guarantee that there are many other experienced CEOs that would have done even better than him on the business side. The club really needs to split the structure. A brand new head of the business side and and brand new head of football side. Neither should interfere with the other's remit.

The Glazers need to really make this decision.

UnitedFan93

The Glazers are keeping Woodward in charge because he makes them a lot of money. Nothing changes until the Glazers go.

Gopher Brown

I think the idea that he’s hopeless because ‘he’s not a football man’ is nonsense to be honest. It’s as if some people think anyone who once played the game professionally would be better.

He’s hopeless because he has no idea what he’s doing and he has no long-term strategy. The Glazers need to take their share of the criticism too, but it’s hard to see how this is fixed quickly.

Tyrion

I think they've started to do that. There's been reports that United are looking for a DOF though I've no idea when it will happen.

I think it's incompetence rather than greed.

RG 11

If you ask me, it's all about power with Woodward. He doesn't want to cede and if we had a good DoF, he might have to.
Yeah, that's why I said the board needs to do something about it. Not Woodward. He's a banker and doesn't care much beyond finances. As long as he generates revenue, hellh get his hefty bonuses. Once the revenue slows down (which it will if we keep being mismanaged) he'll jump ship and go on to the next company.

Woodward doesn't care about long term health of the football club so has no incentive to cede power.

el3mel

We haven't seen anything yet. Woodward isn't leaving and he's not going to let power slip from his hands.

At least 5 more years of this shite with 3 more managers are still ahead of us.

RG 11

I think they've started to do that. There's been reports that United are looking for a DOF though I've no idea when it will happen.

I think it's incompetence rather than greed.
It's all fake PR fluff being fed to the media. Remember when mourinho was sacked, media was reporting that the club will not appoint a new manager before DOF? Look what happened there.

We'll half ass this as well because, as you correctly pointed out, Woodward and Glazers are incompetent at football.

UnitedFan93

He can still be in charge of the commercial side without running the football side.
True, Woodward can stay on the commercial side once we get a sporting director in. However what makes you believe that Woodward/Glazers will choose the correct sporting director that fits the values of the club? They are clueless on the football side yet they'll be deciding who fills the role.

Lmarco

Maybe it's time to accept that this club is no longer the myth it used to be and that it needs intelligent rebuilding regarding its football core.

How many supposed top players bought for a fortune that do not deliver, do not make any progress, do not bring intensity and confidence? How many supposed top talents that are just not making any progress and still find it difficult to put in regular performances?

What is the general strategy behind all of this regarding the tactical side, the complementarity between the players and their profiles?

Since 2015-2016, so in just 4 seasons, the club brought in Romero, Darmian, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Depay, Martial, Bailly, Ibra, Mkhitaryan, Pogba, Lindelof, Lukaku, Matic, Sanchez, Dalot, Fred and Lee Grant. 6 different profiles of midfielders out of which none (except Pogba when at his peak) really became the midfield leader needed. 4 different types of defenders, none becoming the defensive leader needed. So many forwards, all failing to meet expectations. It's just not working anymore, there is no spine, no backbone to the team, no strategy. It's not about the names, it's about the team strenghts, the ability to play and grow as a team. Nothing like that at Man Utd and i'm not sure neither the board nor the staff have a clue what to do next. They won't qualify for the UCL and will therefore lose the rare world class talents that remain while throwing away money for random Instagram stars that cannot pass a ball correctly.

I know this will be a very unpopular opinion, but I think the Glazers and Woodward just become scapegoats when things go wrong on the pitch, rather than them being the main causes of the shit we're in.

When we were going on that great run under Ole, I don't recall there being any vitriol against the board, even though the club is being run exactly the same way during this dark period as it was then. I understand that there won't be as much focus on the board when all is well on the pitch, but in general you should either stick with your principles about the higher ups through good times and bad rather than just getting the pitchforks out when the results aren't coming.

We've spent £846.08m in the almost 6 years since Fergie retired. The board have provided ample amounts of cash to allow the club to continue to be successful and haven't interfered in transfers, so surely it's the Managers that are partly to blame for blowing ridiculous amounts on flops, and partly on the players for either playing far below their potential and/or not giving a monkeys about their performance levels.

I put a higher percentage of this on the players than the managers by the way, given that quite a few of them have been a consistent part of the first team or prominent squad options during all or nearly all of the last 6 years. However, as mentioned, the Managers must take responsibility too for either not showing the sub-standard players the door and/or making dreadful signings when quality is desperately needed.

Also, a massive point to consider is that the first 3 of our post-Fergie managers were surprised by the lack of quality within our squad, and all 4 managers have questioned whether many of the players actually give a damn about their own performances and subsequent results. I don't believe they're all wrong.

And just to be clear, I don't think the Glazers/Ed are perfect by any means (e.g. we do need a DoF), but stuffed shirt businessmen are always easy targets when things go wrong as they aren't as relatable to football fans as players are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ødegaard

MoskvaRed

The thread title reads like a terrible mid 90s romcom with Hue Grant :D
You’re not far off the mark to be honest...Maybe borrowing from another mid-90s film would have been more apposite: “Four managers, one CEO, no coincidence”. Ed as the villain hiding in plain sight.

joedirt87

I am more excited to see who we ship out than bring in. Will go full muppet when I see any story about a United player being sold

Sauldogba

I will tell you somethjng if this ole appointment doesnt work we need to get woodward and the board out.
And im not talking about that half hearted green and gold scarves shit.
Im talking petitions,organising mass protests,walk outs,flying banners etc.