Fixture load

Teja

For the past 4-5 seasons (maybe more) we've had a significant fixture load with some deep cup runs in league cups, FA cups, EL etc. Everyone was always worried about players burning out, league form being impacted as a result and such. Several posters even wanted us to give up on the league cup / Europa League entirely to focus on the premier league.

Well, we've now been forced into this situation. No European distractions, No league cup. Just the league and FA Cup. So a maximum of 18 league games and 7 (?) FA cup games. 25 games in 20 weeks or so.

That's extremely manageable. In fact I think our squad might be too big and we'll have unhappy players because our first XI can basically play all the games without needing any rotation at all. Typically, for an outsider punching at top four (like Newcastle last year or Villa this year) this meant great league form. Let's see if that holds true for us too.

AndySmith1990

"Players aren't getting enough game time, they need more match fitness before we can judge Ten Hag"

Betson

"Players aren't getting enough game time, they need more match fitness before we can judge Ten Hag"
Exactly , how long before we start hearing the excuses about the players been rusty as they are only playing once a week.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah we really need to take advantage of this period in terms of coaching, and cutting down our squad.

Getting into the CL next season is pretty much impossible from our current situation, so we should be really cutting the squad down and fixing the FFP situation

neon_badger

If anything this puts more pressure on Ten Hag, fewer games, players returning from injury and hopefully all the off field dramas resolved. All this equals no excuses to hide behind.

Bright_Eyes

I'm glad we'll be taking a smaller load for the rest of the season. It's a bit ridiculous that these days we're expected to take such a big load from multiple angles. Maybe some thrive on that, but I think it's just exacerbated our injury situation. And individually, the more inexperienced in the squad need to work up to taking such a big load, not everyone can be like Bruno and just keep going load after load.

Herman Toothrot

If anything this puts more pressure on Ten Hag, fewer games, players returning from injury and hopefully all the off field dramas resolved. All this equals no excuses to hide behind.
It shouldn't be more pressure. If anything, the INEOS takeover has wiped the slate clean on his disastrous second season, and he now has a free run at auditioning for his own job.

acolyte

I for one am hugely embarrassed that we gave up our load so prematurely.

neon_badger

It shouldn't be more pressure. If anything, the INEOS takeover has wiped the slate clean on his disastrous second season, and he now has a free run at auditioning for his own job.
I've no idea what INEOS have planned or where Ten Hag figures, I'm pretty sure if the second half of the season is anything like the first and Ten Hag no longer has any excuses to hide behind or benefit of doubt to receive he won't be here next season.

crossy1686

career ending
There's more fitness science, more subs, more protection, bigger squads, etc than there's ever been in the history of football. We shouldn't be losing to the likes of Forest and Bournemouth regardless of how many games we have to play.

uwotm8

A team like united shouldn't have to exit such competitions prematurely. But this is our reality.
We have to get on top and keep thrusting forwards until the climax of the season. It's not like we have the option of giving up and pulling out.

el3mel

It won't matter, because this was never the reason we sucked anyway.

Chumpsbechumps

Irwin99

Squad management/harmony will be interesting with fewer fixtures and more players back. Obviously you want players available and healthy squad competition but a lot of players futures are in the balance and you wouldn't put it past a few to sulk and just see the season out (like in 21-22).

Maguire/Varane have already had a lot of things said about their game time; Martinez you would think goes straight back in the team, Lindelof won't get many opportunities barring injuries and where the feck does Mount go when he's available? Mctominay hopefully goes back on the bench with Mainoo starting more games.

It'll be interesting to see how things are managed in what's probably another 'transition' season. Hannibal and Pellistri will probably go on loan this month for more game time elsewhere.

Teja

Squad management/harmony will be interesting with fewer fixtures and more players back. Obviously you want players available and healthy squad competition but a lot of players futures are in the balance and you wouldn't put it past a few to sulk and just see the season out (like in 21-22).

Maguire/Varane have already had a lot of things said about their game time; Martinez you would think goes straight back in the team, Lindelof won't get many opportunities barring injuries and where the feck does Mount go when he's available? Mctominay hopefully goes back on the bench with Mainoo starting more games.

It'll be interesting to see how things are managed in what's probably another 'transition' season. Hannibal and Pellistri will probably go on loan this month for more game time elsewhere.
I've given up on the thread because it's a trainwreck but thank you for an honest attempt to bring everyone back :lol:

Irwin99

I've given up on the thread because it's a trainwreck but thank you for an honest attempt to bring everyone back :lol:
I don't think it was a bad thread :cool:. One of the worst things i can think of for the rest of the season would be a repeat of the Ole/Ralf year where half the squad had mentally checked out after the Atletico Madrid game in the champions league. The danger is to sleepwalk back into that situation with an unhappy and bloated squad who can't wait for the season to end.

Might be wrong but this season could be one with the fewest games for us since 14/15 and that year didn't go well for us either.

daba

I think the fact we only have the Prem and FA Cup to play for combined with Erik being under pressure, will mean very few minutes for emerging young players like Gore, Kambwala and Mejbri.

So it’s not surprising to see Mejbri on his way out but I hope for Gore and Kambwala’s sake that we can find a temporary solution for them too where they can get some meaningful senior minutes to boost their chances of breaking through next season.