Florentino Pérez: The saviour of football.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Former King Juan Carlos has visited even The dressing room a few times. He called Perez to congratulate the team for winning the CL, according to Perez. The current King has been seen at their matches and even watching their basketball team.
I didn't mean giving them money by the Royal family. I have no idea if they give or not. But they certainly support them openly.
But you actually have no idea of many other things, since his son supports Atletico.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
That is not generally how these types of arrangements work.

There is usually some form of sub arrangement which binds parties legally to some form of compensation payable, whether it simply be the accrued financial costs to the date of withdrawal or otherwise. It is used alot in finance because often there are significant legal costs in setting up loan facilities and lenders tend to want to protect themselves should the party seeking finance, pull out of that arrangement before actually taking the loan amount.

It wouldn't surprise me if there is some penalty regarding contribution to legal costs, but given the parties were yet to agree on the terms and conditions of the arrangement (specifically the parties involved (3 extra founding members)), I find it difficult to believe the formal arrangement was signed off. Certainly a prudent lawyer would advise their client not to sign any binding agreement until such time as whole of the terms and conditions had been agreed on between the parties.

Perez is probably blowing hot air out his arse to appease the Madrid supporters, but I very much doubt any penalty provision would be applicable yet.
I've seen something that said the 12 clubs had to stick £6m-£8m in initially to cover legal/launch clauses and could lose that.

That sounds realistic but the £150m just sounds bollocks. We just need Perez to say it because then we'll KNOW it's bollocks... like everything else he says.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Spanish fans reject the Super League and Florentino Perez has damaged his reputation
In a SIGMA DOS survey for El Mundo, the short lived European Super League doesn't have the support in Spain that the 12 founding members thought
https://www.marca.com/en/football/real-madrid/2021/04/24/6083481fca4741e3368b458e.html

According to an El Mundo survey, 58 percent of fans are opposed to the Super League, particularly the younger age bracket that Florentino Perez had been so keen to target.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Former King Juan Carlos has visited even The dressing room a few times. He called Perez to congratulate the team for winning the CL, according to Perez. The current King has been seen at their matches and even watching their basketball team.
I didn't mean giving them money by the Royal family. I have no idea if they give or not. But they certainly support them openly.
Well, as Gato says, it is rumored that they support Atlético. Coming to the dressing room and celebrating is normal.
They also do with Sevilla or Atlético when they won Europa League ( https://as.com/futbol/2016/04/29/album-01/1461920325_710574.html ).
I thought you were referring to financial support, which is always heard but without something substantial

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Spanish fans reject the Super League and Florentino Perez has damaged his reputation
In a SIGMA DOS survey for El Mundo, the short lived European Super League doesn't have the support in Spain that the 12 founding members thought
https://www.marca.com/en/football/real-madrid/2021/04/24/6083481fca4741e3368b458e.html

According to an El Mundo survey, 58 percent of fans are opposed to the Super League, particularly the younger age bracket that Florentino Perez had been so keen to target.
In the interview in el chiringuito Pedrerol showed Florentino the cover of Marca, and he replied that the newspaper was owned by Torino´s owner so he was a bit upset. Check marca tweets, it´s full of references to Urbano Cairo

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
In the interview in el chiringuito Pedrerol showed Florentino the cover of Marca, and he replied that the newspaper was owned by Torino´s owner so he was a bit upset. Check marca tweets, it´s full of references to Urbano Cairo
Oh, the old debate about public opinion vs published opinion, it's hard to know which is which these days.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Oh, the old debate about public opinion vs published opinion, it's hard to know which is which these days.
Yes, of course, besides today the main reference source of what is talked about is Twitter, which can be very misleading.
It is easy to lock yourself in the micro world that is created among the people you follow.
Although there is more and more anger with each new statement by Ceferin. #Ceferinout trending topic now in Italy and Spain

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
That's already established and agreed, there isn't a lot of clubs that actually generate cash. The point was that the purchase of PSG is linked to other investments, they do care about not losing money for no reason and they will care about getting their investment back at some point when PSG has fulfilled its mission.
I disagree with your post and the fact that they invested a huge amount of money in a training center that isn't even built yet points in the opposite direction. PSG allows Qatar to be relevant and visible in Europe and it's worth far more than the 2 or 3 billion they could sell the club for. It allows them to be publicly seen among world leaders without anyone raising an eyebrow when they had to stay in the shadow in the past. As long as Qatar wants to do business in Europe and in the USA, PSG will keep on serving its purpose.

AshamanKingpin

Supports
Manchester City
You don't understand the history of the two fanbases do you? When United started winning again in the 1990s, just as the premier league was formed and the sport became more globalised, City was in and out of the top league. As a method to cope with United's success and the world wide popularity we (and others, like Arsenal and Liverpool also got to a lesser degree) recieved as result of that success, City fans began to claim that they are the one true Manchester team. That most United fans, not just in the world, but in England, are not from Manchester but London or other places. Despite the fact that Old Trafford, even when we were relegated sold out consistently, and City failed to do that not just at the Etihad but at Maine Road too, didn't matter. So now that city has began to accrue a global fanbase, all of a sudden it's totally OK for city now. Ignoring the fact that they would always try and create this image that they were the real salt of the earth local team, when it wasn't the case, considering most of their fans are actually from Stockport and there has been studies to prove it.

Most United fans do not care if you support a club from a country you aren't from, loads of United fans on here, and Liverpool fans, are Irish for example. Always have been. All that matters is that it comes from a real place, not just chasing glory. Which is what your post seems to suggest to me. That kind of fan is not loyal, and as soon as city loses it's oil money or has a string of bad luck, most of you will jump to another club like PSG or Chelsea. I am assuming you are a genuine fan, but you don't seem bothered by that kind of false-loyalty.
That’s might presumptuous of you. How do you build an attachment to a club, doesn’t come from watching a few games?! Starts gradually until they become your team. Fell in love with EPL and European football as a whole from following City, hence why I transitioned from being a casual fan to being on forums like this one. I watch every one of their games requiring me to pay for 3 different streaming services (a true travesty) pretty sure that qualifies means a fan. In any case don’t want to hijack the thread.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I disagree with your post and the fact that they invested a huge amount of money in a training center that isn't even built yet points in the opposite direction. PSG allows Qatar to be relevant and visible in Europe and it's worth far more than the 2 or 3 billion they could sell the club for. It allows them to be publicly seen among world leaders without anyone raising an eyebrow when they had to stay in the shadow in the past. As long as Qatar wants to do business in Europe and in the USA, PSG will keep on serving its purpose.
This is my point, I have seen several people now say that they disagree but a similar caveat to mine without realizing it. And developing an asset doesn't point to the opposing direction, it's what any decent mid to long term investor should do.

louvega

what a huge fumble this whole thing has been, couldn't have been handled any worse

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Interest quotes, it's not over:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
If the super league involved merit based qualification and some route for teams all over Europe to enter then it could fly I think. Eventually.

DoomSlayer

clarkydaz

This kind of talk is really "rich" coming from you lot. I honestly feel disgusted reading this shite. :houllier:

If UEFA and FIFA do something about state backed clubs, yours should be on top of the list.
Exactly. He needs to keep talking such bravado, its great

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
This kind of talk is really "rich" coming from you lot. I honestly feel disgusted reading this shite. :houllier:

If UEFA and FIFA do something about state backed clubs, yours should be on top of the list.
UEFA and FIFA don't have anything to do about clubs backed by European states because the European Union already established controls to avoid any kind of aids.

What we do know UEFA will do is to relax the FFP rules which benefit the state-clubs, which is a completely different category.

DoomSlayer

UEFA and FIFA don't have anything to do about clubs backed by European states because the European Union already established controls to avoid any kind of aids.

What we do know UEFA will do is to relax the FFP rules which benefit the state-clubs, which is a completely different category.
Whatever rules are or were established, that doesn't stop the corruption practices from your teams and can't go back in time to evaluate how much support the state has given to your club throughout history, in order for you to now claim being the biggest and most successful football club.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Whatever rules are or were established, that doesn't stop the corruption practices from your teams and can't go back in time to evaluate how much support the state has given to your club throughout history, in order for you to now claim being the biggest and most successful football club.
If the corruption claims have the same solidity as the claims that the whole Royal family supports the club, then I agree, you won't be able to evaluate anything.

pass.pass.pass

If the super league involved merit based qualification and some route for teams all over Europe to enter then it could fly I think. Eventually.
So like the current Champions League then?

The SL idea has never been about a fair system; it will defeat its visionaries' original purpose if the current system is replaced simply with a less corrupt one. They don't want less corruption; they want monopolies and guaranteed revenue for a select few clubs.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
So like the current Champions League then?

The SL idea has never been about a fair system; it will defeat its visionaries' original purpose if the current system is replaced simply with a less corrupt one. They don't want less corruption; they want monopolies and guaranteed revenue for a select few clubs.
Yes but with more games between big teams and therefore more money. Like the CL 20 years ago but with more games. Look at Utds CL group in 99 for example.That inevitably means less small teams in it of course. The opposite of the new CL format.

Of course it's ultimately about more appealing matches and more money for big clubs.

It might not fly ultimately as getting premier league and fans support will be difficult. Even with merit based qualification. Personally I would rather watch Chelsea v other big European clubs right from start in Europe.

I understand the argument from the other side also, as would reduce opportunities for teams from smaller less marketable leagues.

pass.pass.pass

Yes but with more games between big teams and therefore more money. Like the CL 20 years ago but with more games. Look at Utds CL group in 99 for example.That inevitably means less small teams in it of course. The opposite of the new CL format.

Of course it's ultimately about more appealing matches and more money for big clubs.

It might not fly ultimately as getting premier league and fans support will be difficult. Even with merit based qualification. Personally I would rather watch Chelsea v other big European clubs right from start in Europe.

I understand the argument from the other side also, as would reduce opportunities for teams from smaller less marketable leagues.
I would like to see that too. But the argument I am trying to make is that the founders of the SL don't really have this in mind. What they are after is a lot more sinister.

Yes, the new CL format will further erode the "champions" league. It needs to be called out as vociferously as the SL.

louvega

the 'closed' superleague for the founding clubs makes sense when you consider all those 12 teams would have been instantly banned from champions league and any other uefa competitions forever

giving up all european competition to join the superleague but then having a bad season and being relegated from superleague would destroy those clubs economically

until the situation with uefa calmed down, guaranteed participation for those involved is the only way

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

I understand what you are saying, we are not innocent but it is also true that people know as much about those real estate issues from 20 years ago as I know about City accounting.
It is not an idea that only benefits us. Of course for many, Madrid and Florentino are figures that produc rejection but as it would be said in redcafé, attack the post and not the poster. Maybe It sounds better in this way, or at least more debatable :D

DoomSlayer

I understand what you are saying, we are not innocent but it is also true that people know as much about those real estate issues from 20 years ago as I know about City accounting.
It is not an idea that only benefits us. Of course for many, Madrid and Florentino are figures that produc rejection but as it would be said in redcafé, attack the post and not the poster. Maybe It sounds better in this way, or at least more debatable :D
But this is a totally different debate? :confused:

And I'm 100% behind more accountability, more transparency, less corruption, less focus on maximising profits without thinking of the long-term future of the sport and the preservation of the history and traditions. That has nothing to do with 12 clubs trying to destroy football and monopolise all the income streams. Do you think any sane football fan (that isn't a Real Madrid fan) wants Perez to be given a position of power, which allows him to dominate and take a hold of European football?

The current pandemic and economic crisis means Real Madrid have to sell players and cut the wage bill, whilst no being able to sign Haaland and Mbappe. Wow, I feel so sorry for you guys. By the way, you just got David Alaba, investing god knows how much money into him, but if you ask Perez, football is dying and there won't be any money in 2024. :rolleyes:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
But this is a totally different debate? :confused:

And I'm 100% behind more accountability, more transparency, less corruption, less focus on maximising profits without thinking of the long-term future of the sport and the preservation of the history and traditions. That has nothing to do with 12 clubs trying to destroy football and monopolise all the income streams. Do you think any sane football fan (that isn't a Real Madrid fan) wants Perez to be given a position of power, which allows him to dominate and take a hold of European football?

The current pandemic and economic crisis means Real Madrid have to sell players and cut the wage bill, whilst no being able to sign Haaland and Mbappe. Wow, I feel so sorry for you guys. By the way, you just got David Alaba, investing god knows how much money into him, but if you ask Perez, football is dying and there won't be any money in 2024. :rolleyes:
They continue to generate a lot of money, it is not fair to judge them for each signing. Everyone is in favor of ending corruption but this problem is not new. The clubs have been developing this project for years (previously with G14) because they were not satisfied with the way in which Uefa manages its income.
The tradition and history were already stained years ago when suddenly the european cup accepted 2 and later 4 teams instead the national champion.
Is this simply because of the promotion and relegation issue?

DoomSlayer

They continue to generate a lot of money, it is not fair to judge them for each signing. Everyone is in favor of ending corruption but this problem is not new. The clubs have been developing this project for years (previously with G14) because they were not satisfied with the way in which Uefa manages its income.
The tradition and history were already stained years ago when suddenly the european cup accepted 2 and later 4 teams instead the national champion.
Is this simply because of the promotion and relegation issue?
The corruption in UEFA is exactly on people like Perez. I'm not trying to be offensive on purpose, don't take it the wrong way, but your club doesn't have an automatic right to be favoured. Maybe it's time for a restructure and rebuild, maybe other teams are managing their finances better and will be the top teams for the next 10 years.

My problem is football has to have a centralised governing body, football always has to be based on national, continental and international rules. You can't have the 12 richest clubs at the current moment just decide to break away and do as they please, claiming there is corruption in football, when so many of these owners, executives, CEOs or whatever position they have, have been heavily involved in making shady and corrupt deals behind the scenes. The whole Super League idea is based on no transparency and basically corruption.

Pep's Suit

If all teams are equal then he should help other La Liga teams receive fair share of tv money instead of crying how they can't afford Pau Torres while Villarreal receives €100m less from the Liga because they finished four places behind Real.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
The corruption in UEFA is exactly on people like Perez. I'm not trying to be offensive on purpose, don't take it the wrong way, but your club doesn't have an automatic right to be favoured. Maybe it's time for a restructure and rebuild, maybe other teams are managing their finances better and will be the top teams for the next 10 years.

My problem is football has to have a centralised governing body, football always has to be based on national, continental and international rules. You can't have the 12 richest clubs at the current moment just decide to break away and do as they please, claiming there is corruption in football, when so many of these owners, executives, CEOs or whatever position they have, have been heavily involved in making shady and corrupt deals behind the scenes. The whole Super League idea is based on no transparency and basically corruption.
In the same way, we do not have to automatically accept losing competitiveness.
If football belongs to the fans, Florentino represents the Madrid fans since he was re-elected and got the support in the assembly , and the same with Laporta if they approve it.
They consider that after 13 european cups(or Barça,Milan..) their opinion about european football has to have more value.
Ask for more transparency, debate the FFP and study a competition that will satisfy all it seems normal

DoomSlayer

In the same way, we do not have to automatically accept losing competitiveness.
If football belongs to the fans, Florentino represents the Madrid fans since he was re-elected and got the support in the assembly , and the same with Laporta if they approve it.
They consider that after 13 european cups(or Barça,Milan..) their opinion about european football has to have more value.
Ask for more transparency, debate the FFP and study a competition that will satisfy all it seems normal
You know what, I'd be totally fine with Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus and Milan being out of the CL and playing each other in the ESL or whatever. If you are so special, you can do it. And I think the rest of football will benefit from that.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
You know what, I'd be totally fine with Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus and Milan being out of the CL and playing each other in the ESL or whatever. If you are so special, you can do it. And I think the rest of football will benefit from that.
I do not think they intend that, it is neither one extreme nor the other, the idea is good if they had the will to find a middle point.
If not we can add some more teams in the Champions League, so that everything is fairer for the minor leagues

DoomSlayer

I do not think they intend that, it is neither one extreme nor the other, the idea is good if they had the will to find a middle point.
If not we can add some more teams in the Champions League, so that everything is fairer for the minor leagues
There is no will and there can be no negotiations when the opposite side has declared a non-negotiable action. I don't think you understand the severity of what Perez, Agnelli and the likes of the Glazers did.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I like the idea on the basis that I think we would win a league composed of the best teams in Europe, or at least we would take it very serious and make our main objective to win it. I mean we have won 3 UCL in a row, 4 in 5 years and I've seen people that we're not dominant in Europe. :lol:

Then the semi-closed format makes it lose it's appeal when some English teams get to feature on the basis or being more marketable over the likes of teams that are currently better. So the idea still needs a lot of work until they can come up with something that holds some competitive integrity and merit.

the chameleon

I like the idea on the basis that I think we would win a league composed of the best teams in Europe, or at least we would take it very serious and make our main objective to win it. I mean we have won 3 UCL in a row, 4 in 5 years and I've seen people that we're not dominant in Europe. :lol:

Then the semi-closed format makes it lose it's appeal when some English teams get to feature on the basis or being more marketable over the likes of teams that are currently better. So the idea still needs a lot of work until they can come up with something that holds some competitive integrity and merit.
Not sure a league competition is different from a knock-out competition. Plus you don't have Ronaldo anymore. I reckon you are just another top European club now. Entitled, but struggling financially, it's not fair anymore. You can't make sign players for £200m because you blew so much. This is why your deluded Perez won't give up. Such a joy to watch the scummiest and most classless club slowly crumble and act so desperate.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
The clubs - especially English ones - do not need the Super League to be competitive and be in a very good financial health.

Everybody know that shareholders would like to enter this in order to:
- implement a salary cap and exploit players i.e. reduce costs
- have guaranteed revenues i.e. reduce risk from an investment perspective
- have higher revenues i.e. to generate more dividends and money for shareholders
- destroy any current competition: investments constraints on clubs like City and PSG
- destroy any future competition: outsiders won't be 'invited'
- increase the market value of clubs in case shareholders want to sell their shares and make a massive profit.

Financial Fair Play is not about Fair Play, just a revisited tool engineered in a hypocritical way by clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus that believe they own football and should win every year forever and are ready to do anything for it i.e. see Calciopoli. FFP is just a barrier to entry: only 3-4 football clubs should be indeed authorised to win major competitions.

Another funny thing is that the people who conspire behind the scenes ask for more transparency while working for the most obscure, opaque and secretive football competition ever :smirk:

Good also to learn that Real Madrid that won several Champions League in the last years is not in a position to compete with other clubs.:rolleyes:

Not a surprise, but no respect for a club like Dortmund when they say Haaland is made to join Real: I just hope he will join another club, the same for Mbappe.

Last edited: