Florida town just up the road from the Super Bowl site suffered a hack into its drinking water system Friday

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Insane story. This town is less than 12 miles from the Super Bowl stadium.

I’m surprised we don’t hear more about stories like these.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Scary. Seems like something that could easily be missed if an employee was more lax

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Scary. Seems like something that could easily be missed if an employee was more lax
Seems as though it was just blind luck that a supervisor was remotely accessing the system & watched the hack live & was able to reverse it.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Seems as though it was just blind luck that a supervisor was remotely accessing the system & watched the hack live & was able to reverse it.
Seems ridiculous that it's even possible to raise it by that much too.

WPMUFC

reading that article, prime suspect is going to be a disgruntled employee or ex employee that didn't have their accesses revoked.

For some reason in the US it's becoming more and more frequent to want to go out with a big show when you lose your job or hate your workplace.

Next best guess would be some international actor "sending a message" but it would be pretty bold.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
reading that article, prime suspect is going to be a disgruntled employee or ex employee that didn't have their accesses revoked.

For some reason in the US it's becoming more and more frequent to want to go out with a big show when you lose your job or hate your workplace.

Next best guess would be some international actor "sending a message" but it would be pretty bold.
Probably the former.

An expert on MSNBC just mentioned that it was a pretty unsophisticated attack which leads one to think that it wasn’t a nation-state or a terrorist backed by one.

The frightening thing here is that this small town straddles both Pinellas & Hillsborough counties at the apex of Old Tampa Bay. If the plan had succeeded, there could have been some knock on effects in two large Florida counties swelled a bit in population due to the SB.

WPMUFC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55989843

I thought critical infrastructure was disconnected from the main "internet grid"? (Sorry, I don't know the precise terminology).
I think @WPMUFC may have nailed the culprit - an ex employee who still had his / her access or knew about access that hadn’t been taken offline.
The computer system at the water treatment plant was set up to allow authorized users to remotely access it for troubleshooting.
Could easily be a remote network login, seriously doubt this is going to be pinned on a state actor. Some kind of employee almost 100% guarantee.

peridigm

When I read this earlier today my initial thought was the IT company that services the town has been compromised. Has happened quite a bit recently. MSPs are a huge target for threat actors as infiltrating an MSP gives them direct scripted access to hundreds, possibly thousands of systems. However, those attacks are motivated by monetary gains.
This is a very specific attack meant to harm citizens. You may be right on the former employee angle.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Detective controls result in two things: near misses and losses/failures.

Some systems accesses need to be removed immediately when an authorized user leaves. Most organizations are terrible at this.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I would understand a disgruntled employee to harm a company (even public), but with an action that could kill hundreds of people? that would not be disgruntling. That would be psychopathic. Also, I don't think that a person smart enough to pull that off (even if rudimentary) would not know the consequences and most likely that he would get caught. Hard to believe that is an ex-employee IMO

Or maybe a Q nutjob working there and taking back the country

If it is a local person, US should take a hard look on redefining domestic terrorism

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I would understand a disgruntled employee to harm a company (even public), but with an action that could kill hundreds of people? that would not be disgruntling. That would be psychopathic. Also, I don't think that a person smart enough to pull that off (even if rudimentary) would not know the consequences and most likely that he would get caught. Hard to believe that is an ex-employee IMO

But, an ex-employee can easily be psychopathic or sociopathic. Or they simply are too ignorant to see the potential result of what they consider a simple act of industrial vandalism.

‘Going postal’ is a term coined in America from one ex-employee’s psychopathic rampage when he was fired. This could easily be a ‘going postal’ event, a disgruntled former employee who wants to enact revenge. It would be far more palatable to a psychopath as there is a less messy, potentially unsolvable aspect to this. The unsolvable aspect would play right into a psychopath’s delusions of grandeur as well.

Or it could just be a 17 year old budding psychopath who is just bored.

WPMUFC

whilst obviously possible to do, someone had to be added to the authorised list of remote accesses to do what was done. It wasn't simply a remote in from home thing, the receptionist isn't going to have network privileges to change chemical controls.

The best initial guess would be employee, simply because the steps for others to get access to the network and also get added to an authorisation list means careful planning over a long period of time. Possible, but more evidence is needed.

Furthermore, state actors don't usually just go for the "poison everyone now we have hacked in", they feck with systems and basically troll controllers. This incident was pretty much:

1. have network accesses for chemical control systems
2. Change a specific value in a system to a dangerous level.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
A disgruntled IT guy with some concept of how the plant worked, or one with intermediate computing skills and operational knowledge working with the former, might be able to accomplish this. I’ve seen the potential of it personally in a different context.

Whoever was behind the intrusion, they were able to use the computer because it was configured for remote access to assist with troubleshooting.
Engadget