Football films

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
Literally there are so many American sports films out there, obviously Hollywood is based in the US which is surely why however why are there not many. I can't actually think of any that are any good really.

Ted lasso is a TV series I guess but it comes across as too American to me even though it wasn't bad.

iamdpef

The Goal! movies

Bend it like Beckham

Mean Machine (Remake of the Longest Yard featuring Vinnie Jones)

These are the only ones I can think of besides the Ted Lasso series. UK movies & series don't get as much financial support like the Hollywood movies do. I'm sure Will Ferrell starred in a comedy movie based on football but I've never seen it

JogaBonitoRooney

Bend it like Beckham.

Maradona's doc 2019 doc is good. It's made by the same director who made the Senna doc.

Herculean

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Anyone on the Caf with movie experience? Production? Any connections with Hollywood?

I have a great football movie screenplay but I have no idea how to move forward.

By the way, I agree with @Big Andy the Munich movie “United”was good, and the actors who played Charlton, Busby and Jimmy Murphy nailed their characters. Most of the others are weak.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Green Street of course

Goal 1 and 2 are good too

Stoppila

The Match (1999)
-
Set in rural Scotland, good actors, nice and simple story, more about life in general than football itself.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
-Escape to Victory (haven't seen)
-Rough and Corny (would recommend if you're familiarized with latin american football realities)

As a TV Series (and yes, it's anime) I would strongly recommend Blue Lock. There's a movie about one of the characters (episode Nagi) coming out soon.

It ain't football related, but the french series starred by Cantona (Derapages, or Inhuman Resources) is pretty good.

Last edited:

Pscholes18

A Shot at Glory....think it's under a different title in UK....stars Michael Keaton and Robert Duvall

Josh 76

It wasn't a film, but does anyone remember, Jossys Giants?
I remember Bryan Robson appearing in one the episodes. Great childhood memories.

CallyRed

They are currently filming a sequel to Football Factory titled Marching Powder

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
-Escape to Victory (haven't seen)
-Rough and Corny (would recommend if you're familiarized with latin american football realities)

As a TV Series (and yes, it's anime) I would strongly recommend Blue Lock. There's a movie about one of the characters (episode Nagi) coming out soon.

It ain't football related, but the french series starred by Cantona (Derapages, or Inhuman Resources) is pretty good.
Love Escape to Victory.

Not realistic at all (Michael Caine must have been the most overweight POW in history) but still good and has ‘that’ goal. I was even rooting for Mike Summerbee

Red the Bear

Something less generic
The football movie genre pretty much ranks up bottom of the sport genre of films with boxing up top followed by others.

I suppose it just isn't conducive go making a good movie .

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The football movie genre pretty much ranks up bottom of the sport genre of films with boxing up top followed by others.

I suppose it just isn't conducive go making a good movie .
The Scorcese-directed film about City's cheating will be a masterpiece

Featuring Robert de Niro as Bernardo Silva, Al Pacino as John Stones, Leo Di Caprio as Erling Haaland and Joe Pesci as Pep Guardiola.

Jund

I have a really vague recollection about a football movie where Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales have managed to all qualify for the World Cup. The only thing I remember clearly is that the teams meet each other in a lobby of some sort and start making fun of each other and one of the lines, I don't remember who shouted it to whom was "Please applaud England's "B" team." or something like it.

If this rings a bell, please share the name, would love to watch it.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Featuring Robert de Niro as Bernardo Silva, Al Pacino as John Stones, Leo Di Caprio as Erling Haaland and Joe Pesci as Pep Guardiola.
Nice casting. Added benefit that Haaland's GF is 19 so Leo could bring his actual GF to play that role.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Green Street, as it possibly gives the most authentic account of the British football culture.
Not sure about that!

There is Green Street 2 and 3 now but they supposed to be shit so never watched

There is a more recent film in similar theme called Awaydays, Steven Graham is in it

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic

Add Willem Defoe as KDB and you'd be golden.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Jimmy Grimble

Purely Belta

both shite, don't know why football films are so shite, only on I think I've ever seen more than once is Escape to Victory and that's only because it was on every Christmas

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
Just looked on my Plex server. I have a football collection on there.
  • Escape to Victory (Victory in the US)
  • When Saturday comes
  • Fever Pitch
  • There's only one Jimmy Grimble
  • Shaolin Soccer
  • Mike Basset England Manager
  • Bend it like Beckham
  • Kicking and Screaming
  • Green Street
  • Goal
  • Goal II
  • Believe
  • The Damned United
  • Looking for Eric
  • Goal III
  • United
  • Next Goal Wins (2014)
  • Next Goal Wins (2023)
There was also a decent series on Netflix called The English Game in 2020

Last edited:

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Jimmy Grimble.

Although you have to boo him.

Football films (and tv shows) are by and large fecking terrible though.