Football films

Plastic Evra

Love Escape to Victory.

Not realistic at all (Michael Caine must have been the most overweight POW in history) but still good and has ‘that’ goal. I was even rooting for Mike Summerbee
It's a great film, a very fun escape from German POW camp story with a stellar cast* but football heavy. Not the most realistic depiction but it's hard not to get emotional when Pelé scores that goal under the expert direction and editing of John Huston.
Most fun football flick with Shaolin Soccer.

There's also A Mort l'Arbitre ("Death to the ref") but it's more of a caustic comedy about fans and I don't know if there's an English dub or subs available.
And the football zombie film from a decade ago too.

* Lots of French actors and you know : Bobby Moore, Ardiles and some more ex-pros.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The Goal! movies

Bend it like Beckham

Mean Machine (Remake of the Longest Yard featuring Vinnie Jones)

These are the only ones I can think of besides the Ted Lasso series. UK movies & series don't get as much financial support like the Hollywood movies do. I'm sure Will Ferrell starred in a comedy movie based on football but I've never seen it
Bend it like Beckham.

Maradona's doc 2019 doc is good. It's made by the same director who made the Senna doc.
Just looked on my Plex server. I have a football collection on there.
  • Escape to Victory (Victory in the US)
  • When Saturday comes
  • Fever Pitch
  • There's only one Jimmy Grimble
  • Shaolin Soccer
  • Mike Basset England Manager
  • Bend it like Beckham
  • Kicking and Screaming
  • Green Street
  • Goal
  • Goal II
  • Believe
  • The Damned United
  • Looking for Eric
  • Goal III
  • United
  • Next Goal Wins (2014)
  • Next Goal Wins (2023)
There was also a decent series on Netflix called The English Game in 2020
Despite being a huuuuuge Beckham superfan at the time, I never saw Bend it like Beckham. What did you guys think of it?

neon_badger

One for the football hipsters. 'Football as never before' 17 cameras following George Best for an entire game against Coventry directed by a German arthouse filmmaker Hellmuth Costard, the same format was used to film Zinedine Zidane more recently.

The Purley King

Mean machine - the Vinnie Jones / Danny Dyer version
Best footy film ever!!!!
Also has lots of professional footballers in the footy scenes…….

Chipper

Adulterer.
It wasn't a film, but does anyone remember, Jossys Giants?
I remember Bryan Robson appearing in one the episodes. Great childhood memories.
I remember it well. Loved that as a kid and I've been taking a trip down memory lane, watching some on youtube tonight.

Sir Bobby Charlton makes an appearance in episode 4, no Robbo yet.

Eric_the_Red99

The Scorcese-directed film about City's cheating will be a masterpiece

Featuring Robert de Niro as Bernardo Silva, Al Pacino as John Stones, Leo Di Caprio as Erling Haaland and Joe Pesci as Pep Guardiola.
Jonah Hill as the bungling Premier League investigator who keeps misplacing the evidence while City’s lawyers run circles around him….

Andy_Cole

The Goal! movies

Bend it like Beckham

Mean Machine (Remake of the Longest Yard featuring Vinnie Jones)

These are the only ones I can think of besides the Ted Lasso series. UK movies & series don't get as much financial support like the Hollywood movies do. I'm sure Will Ferrell starred in a comedy movie based on football but I've never seen it
Longest Yard was a remake of Mean Machine.

Furious George

'Escape to Victory' is a thoroughly enjoyable romp.

It tells the otherwise unheralded tale of Sylvester Stallone's goalkeeping heroics crushing the nazi menace.

Highly recommended.

Eric_the_Red99

No love for United Passions? The 2014 FIFA-funded vanity project/propaganda film starring Tim Roth as the heroic Sepp Blatter?

And yes, this is absolutely a real thing.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I watched Next Goal Wins the other day. Didn't review particularly well. It was excessively Taika Waititi-ish. Nevertheless, it was really quite enjoyable. A bit of a mess tonally, but I think somewhat underrated.

Truly great football movies though? Few and far between.

GueRed

Love Escape to Victory. One of the first vhs tapes I owned back in the 80's.

iamdpef

No way I had no idea!
Haha I was gonna mention the Burt Reynolds movie but someone already did

I never saw the original but I did know the Adam Sandler movie and Vinnie Jones ones are remakes

Jimmy Grimble has been mentioned a few times on here. I forgot about that movie but i used to love that movie as a kid

iamdpef

Despite being a huuuuuge Beckham superfan at the time, I never saw Bend it like Beckham. What did you guys think of it?
It's actually a very solid movie. Definitely one of the better football ones

Reiver

A Shot At Glory

Robert Duvall and Ally McCoist in fine acting form.

I can't remember which one, but a Scottish manager brought in to advise on the film started spending so much time with Duvall that he got sacked.