Football kit technology

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
What innovations with the kits could be made to improve performance?

I know that they have made them much harder to tug on since the 90s, as well as obviously breathable technology in the fabric. But what about more improvements? Could kits be made slippery somehow to stop players grabbing their shirts ? Maybe they could coat boots with a spray that helps stick the ball to them for control?(I feel like a brand tried this once and had reasonable market success)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
There has to be a lot that could help officiating. If the shirt gets pulled, it signals to ref. Some sort of wearable tech for offside built in to the shirts has to be possible too.

stevoc

I wonder if City are working with Puma on an integrated system within the shirt that could inject their players with extra PED's mid game if they're losing.

Ladron de redcafe

They'd ideally have better breathability, but some of the suggestions above sound interesting.

Incidentally, does anyone remember the navy blue away United shirt for the 1999/2000 season? I don't remember seeing a shirt with that fabric before or since. It felt heavy and was tough to play in.

Robertd0803

Im surprised jerseys arent made out of material similar to cycling gear to be honest to improve speed or something.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Im surprised jerseys arent made out of material similar to cycling gear to be honest to improve speed or something.
I think both carbon fibre and aluminium would be overkill for football kits.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Delivering a non-lethal electric shock to whomever is doing the shirt-pulling would be a useful addition. A tweet automatically sent from the player’s account admitting what he did would be nice too.

predator

Youth NITK
I've always wondered if they could put gps microchips in players boots which could be used to determine offside. Obviously it would mean a slight change to the offside rule, which I think is needed.

hungrywing

Delivering a non-lethal electric shock to whomever is doing the shirt-pulling would be a useful addition. A tweet automatically sent from the player’s account admitting what he did would be nice too.
Remove the bolded part and increase number of allowed subs.

decorativeed

They'd ideally have better breathability, but some of the suggestions above sound interesting.

Incidentally, does anyone remember the navy blue away United shirt for the 1999/2000 season? I don't remember seeing a shirt with that fabric before or since. It felt heavy and was tough to play in.
Yeah, it was made of 'sport wool', with real wool mixed in. One of the most horrific pieces of fabric ever made!

Deery

Dreary
They should introduce a sat nav system into the shirt to tell the likes of Martial, Rashford and Greenwood to get into the box.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Yeah, it was made of 'sport wool', with real wool mixed in. One of the most horrific pieces of fabric ever made!
Were any of the other ones from that season made of the same stuff?

I had the third shirt, white with Sharp, which I think became the away kit the following season with Vodafone sponsorship. All this talk of wool made me remember that it was quite warm to wear although I have no idea if that was also made of the same fabric or not. I quite liked the feel actually, but admittedly I never played football in it.

Player Red

I had the third shirt, white with Sharp, which I think became the away kit the following season with Vodafone sponsorship. All this talk of wool made me remember that it was quite warm to wear although I have no idea if that was also made of the same fabric or not. I quite liked the feel actually, but admittedly I never played football in it.
Pretty sure the red home kit for those 2 years was made of the same thing.

Oranges038

Maybe they could introduce something into the shirt that the player could trigger to camouflage into the back ground to defy offside or clear out an opponent without being seen. Like that disappearing car in James Bond.

hungrywing

Supercooling technology so that on rainy nights rain freezes on contact and by the end of the match everyone's a lumpy snowman waddling around trying to kick the ball.

hungrywing

An incorporated array of LEDs that shine a ring of light on the pitch around the player's feet. I don't know what made me think of this.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Didn't an African team try and wear an all-in-one, skintight leotard kit at one of the world cups?

pascell

It's the kit for me which is synonymous of Keane with his skin head look.

decorativeed

No, I don't think that one was. The 2000-02 home kit was a different version of sport wool, but felt much more like a normal football shirt. The Republic of Ireland home shirt from 1999 or so was made out of the same stuff as our navy one, and possibly a few others.

Red Royal

Can we just develop a Cap that does not make Henderson look like a tourist straight out of the Old Trafford Megastore.