Football podcasts

Thisistheone

I listen to the Anfield Wrap, The Ramble, The Tuesday Club, Football Weekly and The Game. Marcotti is terrible, but I quite like Rory Smith, he's one of my favourite journos.
Rory Smith is very good. Also like him.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It can just too childish to listen to at times i find.

The Ramble tore into Beckenbauer and FIFA over Qatar 2022 mind you, which is to say they swore at them a lot. lol
I don't mind the childish humour for the most part, sometimes enough to get a chuckle out of me... but I thought their views/"analysis" on City/Southampton and us were interesting/ pretty good for the most part... better then some actual pundits I've heard speak since the weekend.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Listening to The Game now. Marcotti really is an insufferable cnut.

Marcotti: "Shouldn't United be relying on good players instead of hard work?"

Cascarino: "They do have good players."

Marcotti: "They don't."

And then he tries to explain that by saying Jones, Smalling and Fellaini aren't as good as Scholes, Keane, Beckham and Neville at their peak.

fecking idiot.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He's not wrong. Our first XI is a shadow of what it was in our truly great years.

Marcotti is a great journalist. He's smarter than 99% of them too.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
He's not wrong. Our first XI is a shadow of what it was in our truly great years.

He is wrong. Just because Jones, Smalling and Fellaini aren't as good as some of United's best ever players doesn't mean they aren't good.

Annihilate Now!

Scout

Of course he's wrong.

If you can only be a good player by being as good as Keane or Scholes, then we'll struggle to ever find good players.

And personally I think he's a terrible Journo... one whose arrogance and bias generally clouds his views. He's one of those peoples who's opinion you could never change even with solid reasoning, because he must always be right.

Nedved

Of course he's wrong.

If you can only be a good player by being as good as Keane or Scholes, then we'll struggle to ever find good players.

And personally I think he's a terrible Journo... one whose arrogance and bias generally clouds his views. He's one of those peoples who's opinion you could never change even with solid reasoning, because he must always be right.

A fair definition of good player is a comparison to other top sides in Europe, or even to other positions in the team. When comparing to other teams and with the level of United's strikers, United's midfield four is lacking in both depth and quality. Marcotti has a point.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
A fair definition of good player is a comparison to other top sides in Europe, or even to other positions in the team. When comparing to other teams and with the level of United's strikers, United's midfield four is lacking in both depth and quality. Marcotti has a point.
If that was his point, how many better young centre backs are there than Smalling and Jones?

His point was because these players aren't as good as great players, they're not good enough - which is nonsense... and I would also venture that Carrick compares pretty well with centre midfielders around Europe, we all know what Kagawa did at Dortmund and what Nani is capable off, then there's Januzaj too.

Someone like Fellaini is obviously a good player... w're now just waiting to see whether he can be a very good/great player for us, but to say he's not a good player is daft. Obviously we have some very average players, but we do have good players too... and clearly don't just rely on hard work.

Nedved

If that was his point, how many better young centre backs are there than Smalling and Jones?

His point was because these players aren't as good as great players, they're not good enough - which is nonsense... and I would also venture that Carrick compares pretty well with centre midfielders around Europe, we all know what Kagawa did at Dortmund and what Nani is capable off, then there's Januzaj too.

Someone like Fellaini is obviously a good player... w're now just waiting to see whether he can be a very good/great player for us, but to say he's not a good player is daft. Obviously we have some very average players, but we do have good players too... and clearly don't just rely on hard work.
A combination of good, hard-working players and great ones is what often creates a quality side. I think what Marcotti's saying is that there's too much of the former right now, and too little of the latter. You have good players with tons of potential in Smalling, Jones and Januzaj. Carrick, Kagawa and Nani can all perform at a high level but are now injured, out of form or out of position. The real game changing quality is coming from Rooney and RVP.

In that sense, Marcotti's right. Even if Jones and Fellaini will play at their very best in midfield now in Carrick's absence, they will rely on hard work and strength and not on technical ability. That's a bit below the standard you should be aiming at.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
A combination of good, hard-working players and great ones is what often creates a quality side. I think what Marcotti's saying is that there's too much of the former right now, and too little of the latter. You have good players with tons of potential in Smalling, Jones and Januzaj. Carrick, Kagawa and Nani can all perform at a high level but are now injured, out of form or out of position. The real game changing quality is coming from Rooney and RVP.

In that sense, Marcotti's right. Even if Jones and Fellaini will play at their very best in midfield now in Carrick's absence, they will rely on hard work and strength and not on technical ability. That's a bit below the standard you should be aiming at.
It's a fair debate - I may make a thread about it.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

He's bright enough, but I don't get the impression he has ever played much football in his time nor has he been part of any real fan culture and, as such, is a bit disconnected from the game.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24

It doesn't necessarily follow that because someone posses great knowledge of the sport that they will then express such wisely.

Fine, Marcotti is of the view United's current team isn't as buccaneering as it might be, yet is that justification to distort the facts in implying that Jones and Smalling were not up to the task against Arsenal?

Moreover if we were to transplant his logic 4-6 years past, the importance of countless players would be wrongly discarded. Park, Fletcher, O'Shea, Rooney, Tevez e.t.c.

When the management believe that they have a method by which they can secure victory ot at least increase the chances of such an outcome, i wouldn't it to be abandoned for the sake fo a little more entertainment. Atttacks were controlled in nature as opposed to entirely absent and the latter is what you would suppose from the analysis on The Game.

The review of Arsenal's performance was contextualised at every turn but hardly at all for Moyes and his players, punditry and journalism it most certainly was not.

Brophs

The One and Only
He's bright enough, but I don't get the impression he has ever played much football in his time nor has he been part of any real fan culture and, as such, is a bit disconnected from the game.
He's book smart on football, that's about it. When you hear him trying to discuss the mechanics and nitty gritty of the game he falls down because, as you say, I don't get the impression he has any idea how difficult some of the things these players do are. I remember him trying to argue that Berba's overhead kick against Liverpool was nothing special. That and the time he argued that every professional football should have a 100% penalty record.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He's book smart on football, that's about it. When you hear him trying to discuss the mechanics and nitty gritty of the game he falls down because, as you say, I don't get the impression he has any idea how difficult some of the things these players do are. I remember him trying to argue that Berba's overhead kick against Liverpool was nothing special. That and the time he argued that every professional football should have a 100% penalty record.

I hope there was someone in the discussion quick enough to point out that goalkeepers are professional footballers.

Brophs

The One and Only
I hope there was someone in the discussion quick enough to point out that goalkeepers are professional footballers.
Don't be silly, goalkeepers aren't footballers any more than drummers are musicians.

Beachryan

I've no problem with a football journalist having no experience actually playing the game - in fact I prefer it.

Being able to play a sport at the highest level and being able to understand it tactically - and moreso understand the macro-issues affecting it - are pole-opposites of competency.

In much the same way no one would show up to watch 22 journalists trying to play professional football, I don't see why we have to put with ex-players trying to play at being journalists.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Beachryan,

Do you then think that Marcotti was justified in citing Phil Jones as a case for criticism, both in terms of him individually and tactical deployment?

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Clearly hasn't played any football, he's a fat bastard.

Beachryan

Beachryan,

Do you then think that Marcotti was justified in citing Phil Jones as a case for criticism, both in terms of him individually and tactical deployment?

I've not heard this week's podcast, but have listened to Marcotti for years. So I'll have to take a punt.

On Jones in our midfield: I'm all for tactical flexiblity, and obviously Jones did a good job - similar to Welbeck against Real Madrid in the CL last season.

But that is a sign of us adjusting to the opposition. Not just in a sensible, tactical way, but in an 'oh crap we're gonna be overrun so let's stick in the energetic, young defender to stop them playing'.

It is eminently sensible to recognize when you're outmatched, and to adjust tactics accordingly. Hell, Benitez had our number when he was at Pool with a far inferior set up of players. That's good management.

The best teams are never out matched. We are no longer a 'top team'. I mean the very top. When we had Giggs, Scholes, Beckham and Keane in our midfield, we were at the very top.

I'm assuming that is Marcotti's point - and he's absolutely right. The very fact we're sticking in an inexperienced defender to run around a lot to disrupt Arsenal is proof-positive that we don't trust our 'normal' midfield to be good enough against them. That doesn't happen to the best teams in the world.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
I understand why some aren't fans of Marcotti, but after listening to the podcast just now, I don't think he was particularly bad this week. He didn't actually state that he thinks Smalling and Jones are mediocre, he was asking if that would be a harsh criticism to stir discussion.

I've not heard this week's podcast, but have listened to Marcotti for years. So I'll have to take a punt.

On Jones in our midfield: I'm all for tactical flexiblity, and obviously Jones did a good job - similar to Welbeck against Real Madrid in the CL last season.

But that is a sign of us adjusting to the opposition. Not just in a sensible, tactical way, but in an 'oh crap we're gonna be overrun so let's stick in the energetic, young defender to stop them playing'.

It is eminently sensible to recognize when you're outmatched, and to adjust tactics accordingly. Hell, Benitez had our number when he was at Pool with a far inferior set up of players. That's good management.

The best teams are never out matched. We are no longer a 'top team'. I mean the very top. When we had Giggs, Scholes, Beckham and Keane in our midfield, we were at the very top.

I'm assuming that is Marcotti's point - and he's absolutely right. The very fact we're sticking in an inexperienced defender to run around a lot to disrupt Arsenal is proof-positive that we don't trust our 'normal' midfield to be good enough against them. That doesn't happen to the best teams in the world.

Benitez had an excellent team if you are talking 08/09. He had 15-16 very good/great players that could be called on and relied upon. His squad was never as great if that's what you mean though. The 08/09 United and Liverpool sides would piss the league this season though.

Lynk

The 08/09 United and Liverpool sides would piss the league this season though.
Why do scousers always mention that team? One season of luck. Alonso left and you finished 8th.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Why do scousers always mention that team? One season of luck. Alonso left and you finished 8th.
We were in the CL final a couple of years prior to that and were consistently in the latter stages of the CL. You don't get lucky over 38 games.

Beachryan

We were in the CL final a couple of years prior to that and were consistently in the latter stages of the CL. You don't get lucky over 38 games.

Almost a third of your matches in the league were against 10 men. That's why you came so close. Getting sent off for fouling Xabi Alonso became the fun thing to do that season.

And while it was a decent team, Benitez was able to focus solely on one competition. He basically rested his entire CL team every weekend ahead of CL matches. That's the reason you did so well there.

If Benitez/that team were really that good, they wouldn't have had 15 point league swings the seasons around that one.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
The Tuesday Club has returned with one of its live audience episodes, recorded just before their Chelsea fixture.

Today FW was all a bit scatterbrained i thought however TheGame does include an interesting explanation of Howard Webb's decisions in the Chelsea-Liverpool match, or should i say Alyson Rudd [for whom i have greater time for as a pundit as the weeks go by] tries to bring some reasonable discussion to proceedings.

Beachryan

I strongly dislike Alyson Rudd.
Absolutely. She's condescending and barely ever makes a good point. Ruins podcasts, and I fear because it's so rare to have a female on a football podcast, is going to give them all a bad name.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Anyone keen to start another RedCafe one? Could have a core group with a different forum member a week or something. Plenty of issues around United at the moment, so there will be no shortage of material.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Anyone listen to The Rantcast or Red Mancunian?
United Rant? I listen to that, it's okay.. more just to waste some time.

Red Mancunian is great though, just finished listening to todays one. I recommend it.

Lynk

Football Ramble
Football Weekly
Football with John Giles
United We Stand
Tuesday Club

Off the Ball is decent too.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
I don't mind United Rant and Red Mancunian. I really like United We Stand though.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Absolutely. She's condescending and barely ever makes a good point. Ruins podcasts, and I fear because it's so rare to have a female on a football podcast, is going to give them all a bad name.

The woman on Guardian Football Weekly is good, can't remember her name at the moment though.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Did you hear the FW ep where Richardson was criticising Smalling's performance in central defence only to be informed that he was United's right back at the time? Glendenning of all people had to put Jimbo right IIRC.

Amy Lawrence. She's great.
She is indeed, not on the pod as much as you might like unfortunately.

Two key attributes do Rudd credit IMO, the first being her willingness to contradict Marcotti and the second concerns her knowledge of the laws of the game/refereeing insights.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
I've been off work for a while (holidays) so have only really been listening while exercising. Friday Night Preview, World Football Phone In, Monday Night Club, and TheGame usually see me through the week (they add up to about 5 hours of material).

Ramble and Weekly are the only ones I bother to listen to on their own merits.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
It would appear that the Monday Night Club and TheGame are competing to see who can field the most dimwitted contributor, Cascarino or Clarridge?

Cascarino's analysis of the situation at West Brom was particularly painful listening, indeed i am surprised that Marcotti didn't intervene.

I absolutely hate Rudd. Another awful pod for her.
Her experience of the refereeing instruction and procedure meant that she could state beyond doubt that Jones had made the wrong call, moreover that the criteria involved didn't allow for the sort of leniency Oliver Kay was promoting.

It might actually be of great benefit to the trade of football journalism were other pundits and columnists to be similarly well informed.