Football Without Offside

Gilgamesh

Supports
Bayern, and others
I'm all in for anything that increases the numbers of goals scored. Ever since a guy named Mourinho started parking the bus where ever he could and almost destroyed my love for the game.

Offside is not the first thing that comes to mind for me, though. Nevertheless maybe it would be worth a try adding an offside line in the middle of each half, i.e. 25 yards deeper than the middle line, similar to ice hockey. Not sure how it would change the game, but why not trying?

But, actually I would suggest another much more effective change: Increase the goals! When the football rules were defined in the 19th century an average goalkeeper was barely 1.75 meter, 5'9, tall. Today they are on average about 10% taller and probably 300% more athletic. Let's increase the goals for professional footbal by 10% in hight and 10% in width. I guess we would see up to 50% more goals. And we would punish the bus parkers!

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
But, actually I would suggest another much more effective change: Increase the goals! When the football rules were defined in the 19th century an average goalkeeper was barely 1.75 meter, 5'9, tall. Today they are on average about 10% taller and probably 300% more athletic. Let's increase the goals for professional footbal by 10% in hight and 10% in width. I guess we would see up to 50% more goals. And we would punish the bus parkers!
It's also worth highlighting that the ball is lighter and travels much faster in today's game, which has offset the impact from the increased size and agility of goalkeepers.

RedCurry

I personally like offside rule. All the running in behind, timing of the striker's runs are amazing to watch.

Nick7

Football without offside would mean no midfield at all. What’s the point of playing a midfield when you can just pump it up behind the defenders backs with no consequences?

defences would essentially be camped out in their own box all game as pushing up allows you to be caught out behind because the attackers are sitting inside the box.

it would be a completely different game.The only tactic would be long ball football.

hungrywing

Football without offside would mean no midfield at all. What’s the point of playing a midfield when you can just pump it up behind the defenders backs with no consequences?

defences would essentially be camped out in their own box all game as pushing up allows you to be caught out behind because the attackers are sitting inside the box.

it would be a completely different game.The only tactic would be long ball football.
That actually makes me think it'd be kind of funny if different leagues had different offside rules and on European nights each team had to play by the home team's rules.

Number32

Agree,but what about just having offsides only when passing from your own half? And of course add a "half court" rule that once in opposition half,you cant pass back back into yours. That would elevate the tactical finess to a more modern level that the original rulemakers didnt account for(compact midfield quaqmires/high line,etc...)
Offside will protect footballers from fatigue due to large area that they have to cover. Like some people said the sweeper system used to be the best defence before offside rules being made. But it would be boring because the inferior team can park the bus more often at their box with a 0-0 result. Long ball into the box would be the best option to score because it will save your energy in 90 minutes. You can have alot of space in wide area, not only in your own half. Its different from hockey or basketball which has smaller pitch.

We don't have offside in futsal anyway, because its a pretty small pitch.

SaintMuppet

Goal-hanging can be a thing again, the fights we had in my childhood over this nasty little habit.....