Footballers that fast during Ramadan

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It's pretty amazing that they can perform whilst fasting. No water between sunrise and sunset, right? Makes playing in a 17:30 kick off especially brutal.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I’m surprised they’re not all riddled with urine infections.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
I’m surprised they’re not all riddled with urine infections.
If you’re a healthy person like the majority of Premier League footballers and you have a well balanced diet like the majority of footballers not eating or drinking for 17/18 hours everyday for 30 days is unlikely to cause problems like the one you’ve mentioned.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
It's pretty amazing that they can perform whilst fasting. No water between sunrise and sunset, right? Makes playing in a 17:30 kick off especially brutal.
Not sunrise but dawn (which can be around two hours before sunrise at this time of year in these parts of the world).

duffer

Scout
Not sunrise but dawn (which can be around two hours before sunrise at this time of year in these parts of the world).
That makes it even harder.

So sunrise today in the UK was 05:46. Let's say dawn was 1 hour before that, the likes of Mendy, Ziyech and Kante (if they fast) went about 13 hours without a drink before our game today.

izzydiggler

I can't go an hour without water whilst I'm sitting watching TV...to play 90+ mins of intense sport is super-human.

Mailo

The first week is always the hardest - after that, your body adapts and you become energetic and upbeat again.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

So sunrise today in the UK was 05:46. Let's say dawn was 1 hour before that, the likes of Mendy, Ziyech and Kante (if they fast) went about 13 hours without a drink before our game today.
It was a lot harder a couple of years ago. I believe people were fasting 18 hours around 2014 and 2015.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

I think it is around 4 am in the morning to about 8.20 pm.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
People underestimate the organism's capacity to adapt to difficult conditions. My neighbours call me a freak just because I wear shorts and a t-shirt during winter. Then they wonder why I haven't got even a cold for 5 years since I started doing it. Far too 'comfortable' times these days.

Samid

04:08 to 20:16 in London today. 16 hours.

Ramadan comes 10 days earlier each year so it's slowly moving towards the winter months. The next 15 or so years are the 'easy' ones.

I have a friend up north where the sun doesn't set at all between May and August so they had to either starve for 30 days or find alternative solutions during the 2012-2020 ramadans :lol:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Ramadan comes 10 days earlier each year so it's slowly moving towards the winter months. The next 15 or so years are the 'easy' ones.

I have a friend up north where the sun doesn't set at all between May and August so they had to either starve for 30 days or find alternative solutions during the 2012-2020 ramadans :lol:
Always wondered how a muslim living in fecking Tromsø or somewhere would deal with observing Ramadan. I don't suppose there's any scope for getting away with using Mecca hours for dawn and dusk? :smirk:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Always wondered how a muslim living in fecking Tromsø or somewhere would deal with observing Ramadan. I don't suppose there's any scope with getting away with using Mecca hours for dawn and dusk? :smirk:
Kind of cheating when it’s the winter months though.

Samid

Always wondered how a muslim living in fecking Tromsø or somewhere would deal with observing Ramadan. I don't suppose there's any scope for getting away with using Mecca hours for dawn and dusk? :smirk:
Kind of cheating when it’s the winter months though.
Yeah some of them are cheeky. Follow Mecca in the summer months, follow the closest city (where the sun rises/sets) during the winter :wenger:

duffer

Scout
I have a couple of Muslim friends who don't fast at all but lie about it to their parents (even then though they are grown ass men). A guy at work even used to buy an extra big lunch and lied to his wife that he was fasting! He reckoned she used to cheat as well.

I know it's not my business but I'd love to know if any Chelsea players (particularly Kante, given his style of play) is strict with this.

Neo_Mufc

Genuinely struggle to understand how they do it. My mate told me you just get used to it but I just couldn't imagine how difficult it is.

Neo_Mufc

I have a couple of Muslim friends who don't fast at all but lie about it to their parents (even then though they are grown ass men). A guy at work even used to buy an extra big lunch and lied to his wife that he was fasting! He reckoned she used to cheat as well.

I know it's not my business but I'd love to know if any Chelsea players (particularly Kante, given his style of play) is strict with this.
Not sure about Chelsea guys but I remember this story which was nice to read a few years back.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...vening-with-fans-after-missing-train-to-paris

meamth

Well based on my experience as a muslim, your muslim friends will go to hell..I can confirm this.

:lol:

duffer

Scout
Not sure about Chelsea guys but I remember this story which was nice to read a few years back.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...vening-with-fans-after-missing-train-to-paris
Yeah, Kante seems such an unlikely Premiership footballer in terms of his character, seems to have zero ego. Pretty much everyone likes him despite being a really aggressive player. Usually oppo fans hate midfield foul machines.

I absolutely love than one of Chelsea's best players over the last few years is a French, Black and a Muslim. The racist element must get so confused as he ticks almost all their "I should hate this person" boxes.

Neo_Mufc

Yeah, Kante seems such an unlikely Premiership footballer in terms of his character, seems to have zero ego. Pretty much everyone likes him despite being a really aggressive player. Usually oppo fans hate midfield foul machines.

I absolutely love than one of Chelsea's best players over the last few years is a French, Black and a Muslim. The racist element must get so confused as he ticks almost all their "I should hate this person" boxes.
Yeh, I believe he has such a popularity in the game is because he keeps his head down, does all the hard work, doesn't complain, doesn't dive.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
AFC champions league is on currently. 85% of players involved are Muslims so it’s been chaotic results so far. Made it a very random tournament. Goa had a huge advantage as none of their players are Muslims and all their opponents are. Been a big leveller. Games all got moved to after Sunset to accommodate but the players bodies aren’t used to it and they can’t play to near as high of level as team. Think for individual players it will vary how big of an effect it will have but has a huge effect on a team overall if most of their players were fasting.

NYAS

AFC champions league is on currently. 85% of players involved are Muslims so it’s been chaotic results so far. Made it a very random tournament. Goa had a huge advantage as none of their players are Muslims and all their opponents are. Been a big leveller. Games all got moved to after Sunset to accommodate but the players bodies aren’t used to it and they can’t play to near as high of level as team. Think for individual players it will vary how big of an effect it will have but has a huge effect on a team overall if most of their players were fasting.
The main issue there is that you can see the difference because non majority-Muslim teams are competing against others who are fasting.

Otherwise, it’s quite normal in this part of the world to kick-off at very late times during Ramadan (11pm for example) and you wouldn’t notice a big difference. That also applies to most of the AFC CL ‘West’ fixtures back in the day, because they were mainly games between two ‘Muslim’ teams. Been happening for years. But as you said, you can clearly notice the difference this time when teams like Goa compete within that group, especially given the format this year.

Threesus

So is it Ramzan or Ramadan? Growing up in India, everyone used to call the festival as Ramzan, but I am seeing an increase in the use of Ramadan as well, nowadays.

Must be very hard to fast for that many hours and play sport at the highest level.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
So is it Ramzan or Ramadan? Growing up in India, everyone used to call the festival as Ramzan, but I am seeing an increase in the use of Ramadan as well, nowadays.

Must be very hard to fast for that many hours and play sport at the highest level.
Ramadan is the Arabic, Ramazan used traditionally in places historically influenced by Persian culture such as the Indian subcontinent (the Arabic letter ض has a heavy ‘d’ sound but in Persian is rendered ‘z’). Lately there is a trend of Arabization, driven yeah n part by the growth in influence of the Gulf states, which has led some to make a point of using the former.

Davie Moyes

I'm pretty sure someone like Kante without knowing him personally is strict with this. You can just tell by his character.

A good indication of players who are likely to fast are those that are strict with their 5 daily prayers (the prayers have even more importance than the fasting) e.g. Mane, Salah etc. I read how Klopp explained they have allowed special provisions for those two and the rest of the squad are very respectful e.g. altering training etc.

Your grown ass men mates are likely to be those that hardly pray or only make it to the weekly Friday afternoon prayer which nearly every Muslim male attends. This is the most significant prayer of the week and some believe that missing 3 of these deliberately in means you are no longer considered a Muslim.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

It's kind of neither yet in between. If you try to say the word Ramadaan but after 'Rama' touch your tongue with the top set of teeth then say 'Daan' (yeah it's not Dan as in Desperate Dan) you'll get a Th kind of sound.

Don't ask me why it's not spelt Ramathan/Ramathaan then. I'm already out of my knowledge base depth here.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I can't go an hour without water whilst I'm sitting watching TV...to play 90+ mins of intense sport is super-human.
Exactly... don't buy that for a second. A high intensity match, 9km of running... no water at all?

duffer

Scout
I'm pretty sure someone like Kante without knowing him personally is strict with this. You can just tell by his character.

A good indication of players who are likely to fast are those that are strict with their 5 daily prayers (the prayers have even more importance than the fasting) e.g. Mane, Salah etc. I read how Klopp explained they have allowed special provisions for those two and the rest of the squad are very respectful e.g. altering training etc.

Your grown ass men mates are likely to be those that hardly pray or only make it to the weekly Friday afternoon prayer which nearly every Muslim male attends. This is the most significant prayer of the week and some believe that missing 3 of these deliberately in means you are no longer considered a Muslim.
You're right, they don't pray regularly at all. No booze is the one thing they all have in common though, interesting what rules people seem to think are important.

I have a Catholic friend who has broken at least 8 of the 10 commandments but he still consider s himself a Catholic.

Withnail

You're right, they don't pray regularly at all. No booze is the one thing they all have in common though, interesting what rules people seem to think are important.

I have a Catholic friend who has broken at least 8 of the 10 commandments but he still consider s himself a Catholic.
Well murder and graven images are a bit of a stretch.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

It's Ramadan, but the Asian subcontinent say Ramzan.

In terms of footballers who fast etc. Nathan Ellington (ex WBA, and Watford) was quite a devout observer of Ramadan, even in the summer months. From memory, I think he even set up a Professional Muslim Footballer's organisation too to support this.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

That’s just not fecking fair in the slightest!

There has to me some dispensation in that environment, right?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Not just footballers, but many olympic athletes do not fast during Ramadan, they donate to charity or do charitable works instead and it has always been accepted within Islam.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Not just footballers, but many olympic athletes do not fast during Ramadan, they donate to charity or do charitable works instead and it has always been accepted within Islam.
That’s very interesting.

How long has that been an accepted alternative?

marktan

That’s just not fecking fair in the slightest!

There has to me some dispensation in that environment, right?
For people in the in the Nordics, I believe they can follow Saudi Arabian times which being near the equator has a more balanced sunset/sunrise time year out.

Sucks in the UK though as no one does that and in the summer for the last 6 or 7 years you don't get to eat until around 9-10pm.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
For people in the in the Nordics, I believe they can follow Saudi Arabian times which being near the equator has a more balanced sunset/sunrise time year out.

Sucks in the UK though as no one does that and in the summer for the last 6 or 7 years you don't get to eat until around 9-10pm.
Thank god.

Well, not ‘god,’ you know.