Footballers that suffered from depression

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Fairly obvious he has significant mental health issues!

Players like this should be at the forefront of such discussions, there’s plenty of others in my post to focus on if you prefer anyway.
it's not fairly obvious at all. Beating your partner does not have any specific relation to depression as a clinically diagnosable mental illness, or mental illness in general. You say in another post there you work specifically with studying effects of depression, while coming out with nonsense like this, or saying that "pretty much all" bad behaved players and domestic abusers are suffering from depression? These are opinions that would raise alarm bells if i heard them from a psychiatric colleague. Hopefully you're just bringing the tea, or crunching numbers on a PC.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
it's not fairly obvious at all. Beating your partner does not have any specific relation to depression as a clinically diagnosable mental illness, or mental illness in general. You say in another post there you work specifically with studying effects of depression, while coming out with nonsense like this, or saying that "pretty much all" bad behaved players and domestic abusers are suffering from depression? These are opinions that would raise alarm bells if i heard them from a psychiatric colleague. Hopefully you're just bringing the tea, or crunching numbers on a PC.
Can you expand on your point? There might be something we can learn.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
What's fascinating is arguably his best football performances probably came from 2009 onwards. 12/13 he was really something, just as important as Van Persie.
Arguably his worst performances came 2009-2011 though. He was largely insipid in that time. Understandably of course.

BerryBerryShrew

I think cases like Ibe, Deisler, Morrison and Adriano go to show how underrated mental health is when we judge footballers. In terms of talent, these guys were phenomenal specimens but suddenly their desire to succeed is mentally compromised and just as suddenly their careers are over.

Like, most people would think that if a world class player like Adriano suddenly stopped being fully committed to the sport, he would still be an excellent player playing in a top league - just maybe a 10% drop in performance from incredible to merely very good. The fact that they could subsequently barely get game time in appalling leagues goes to show that mental health issues can undermine and destroy everything in a way that physical deterioration can't.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
But depression was not his only problem.

I have read many interviews with him - and he just did not enjoy everything that came with the footballing business despite having the talent and liking the sport itself. There is players that enjoy acting in front of so many people and the publicity - that like the pressure they have - that enjoy the group of footballers and the team with all the positives and negatives - Deisler did not.
Cheers, I didn't know about that.

Dan_F

I think the thing here is understanding that X person had / has depression doesn’t equate to giving them sympathy for awful behaviour / crimes.

People who are wrecking their own and others lives are very often depressed people and suffering from depression spectrum conditions.

Doesn’t mean that you, or I or anyone needs to sympathise with them.

Not specifying this to Collymore or Greenwood, but understanding why people act in destructive ways that wreck their own lives is crucial in actually starting to reverse it.
I mentioned it in case people weren’t aware of his past, I don’t really know why I felt like I needed to though, maybe because of recent events. I’m aware of links between people that have been abused and abusing others. I don’t know whether depression is a possible causation for being violent against a woman as I don’t have any experience or qualifications in that field, but yeah.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The gay PL footballers jump to mind.
No doubt there are so many but they can't admit in Public. Must be tough for them

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Torres looked depressed at Chelsea.

Goldfiessli

Supports
FC Basel
Ivan Ergic is the first that comes to mind for me. He played for Basel for a long time and was made club captain after a long stay in a clinic to deal with depression. A very intelligent human being, who always questioned the structures of professional football.