g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Football's most disappointing big moments

Scarecrow

Having a week off
The loss against Real in SAF's last CL campaign. The 09 final. Losing the title to City (everything in those last two months, culminating in the final day).

Chipper

Adulterer.
Man Utd against City in 2008 for the 50th Anniversary of the Munich disaster.
Yes, this for me.

Aguero 93:20

For United fans. For everyone else it was peak.
That bothered me less than just about any other United fan I've spoken to about it. Yes, I was disappointed, but because I only thought we were going to win the league for about 10 or 15 minutes it wasn't that bad for me.

Didn't think we had a chance going into that day. Barton was off at 1-1, then QPR go in front half way through the second half. With 10 men they were still going to be vulnerable. Only really started to get my hopes at around the 80th minute. Even then, we were only 1-0 up so could easily have let one in which would have meant a draw for City would have been enough for them. Seemed to keep my optimism in check for the most part and it was on a knife-edge.

Edit: Big build-ups, full of belief and expectation that end up falling flat seem to be the worst for me. Brief hope not so much.

Last edited:

stevoc

Euro 2016 was a prolonged big stage disappointment really. There were some great stories (Wales, Iceland) but there was very little quality on show.

FA Cup Final 2007 at the new Wembley was such a poor game with a terrible result from our point of view.
Especially as Giggs put the ball in the net and the linesman and ref didn't see it.

United never give up

2011 CL Semi final (Barca vs Madrid).

First time in years they had come up against each other in the Champions League, Messi and Ronaldo at the peak of their powers.

I expected to see a titanic tussle with Ronaldo raising his game to match Messi.

In the end Messi humiliated Ronaldo and Madrid, proving that at his peak CR7 just couldn't handle him.

Needham

English clubs being banned from Europe. It demonstrated UEFA's prejudice against the EFA at a time we were dominating Europe and the European Cup. Hooliganism was rife across Europe, Greece and Italy were far worse with people being killed on a regular basis, Netherlands and the then Yugoslavia were awful too, but no severe action was taken against any of them.
And despite English clubs dominating at the time and therefore being involved in more matches I recall few if any supporters from the countries you mentioned coming to this country and wrecking stadiums, town centres, and going on the rob. "It demonstrated UEFA's prejudice against the EFA" blah blah blah is -in the teeth of an arch crime in which thousands of families were affected by the death of a loved one at a football match- the supreme exemplar par none of the victim mentality, a cynical inversion of cause and effect, and a general stench of a post. Now feck off what was quite an interesting thread.

Rafateria

And despite English clubs dominating at the time and therefore being involved in more matches I recall few if any supporters from the countries you mentioned coming to this country and wrecking stadiums, town centres, and going on the rob. "It demonstrated UEFA's prejudice against the EFA" blah blah blah is -in the teeth of an arch crime in which thousands of families were affected by the death of a loved one at a football match- the supreme exemplar par none of the victim mentality, a cynical inversion of cause and effect, and a general stench of a post. Now feck off what was quite an interesting thread.
I don't really give a shit 'what you recall'. UEFA failed to act (as is the case now with racism) in multiple cases of deaths and serious injuries called by hooliganism across the whole continent, I'm not trying to excuse what happened (and that's another long story if you can arsed to learn about it - which obviously you don't because it may distill your preference to remain ignorant and biased) simply stating that UEFA failed as they continue to fail, unless it hits their pocket. Now you feck off.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
English clubs being banned from Europe. It demonstrated UEFA's prejudice against the EFA at a time we were dominating Europe and the European Cup. Hooliganism was rife across Europe, Greece and Italy were far worse with people being killed on a regular basis, Netherlands and the then Yugoslavia were awful too, but no severe action was taken against any of them.
Can't comment on the other countries you listed, but Netherlands werent nearly as bad as England at the time. Don't be absurd. Hell, Spurs basicly introduced it over here. Ofcourse what happened at the battle of Beverwijk is terrible, but it never happened on the same scale as it did in England.

Also we've had plenty of sanctions against us, especially Feyenoord, and rightly so. Feyenoord and Ajax still arent allowed to bring away fans to de klassieker.

Womp

idiot
Being clearly the best team in the 2000 european cup only to miss 5 fecking penalties (two of which in regular time) against Italy in the semi's.

Trashing Italy and France in the 2008 Euro's only to go out against Guus Hiddink's fecking Russia.

But most of all, Robben missing THAT 1 on 1 with Casillas in 2010. It still haunts my dreams.

All of this is from the national team, since being a Feyenoord fan you get used to being disappointed on a regular bases :)
A Netherlands, Feyenoord and United (?) supporter. You must be going bald from stress. :lol:

Leif GW

Brazil's shameful loss against Germany last WC. 7-1 just isn't worthy.

To clarify, it isn't the loss in and of itself, just the way it all played out. On their home turf also...

Last edited:

Rafateria

Can't comment on the other countries you listed, but Netherlands werent nearly as bad as England at the time. Don't be absurd. Hell, Spurs basicly introduced it over here. Ofcourse what happened at the battle of Beverwijk is terrible, but it never happened on the same scale as it did in England.

Also we've had plenty of sanctions against us, especially Feyenoord, and rightly so. Feyenoord and Ajax still arent allowed to bring away fans to de klassieker.
I was living in Amsterdam around 1981/82 (can't remember exactly now) and went to an Ajax vs Feyenoord match. It wasn't about the football - there were hundreds of police and dogs around the pitch but when fighting broke out en masse they did nothing, just stood around whilst total bedlam ensued. Luckily it wasn't in our stand but directly opposite. Of course it went on after the match (which was suspended) too - had to get the hell out of there as fast as we could.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
From a United point of view I have to say the 2002 CL semi-final against Leverkusen. If we won that we would've been playing Real Madrid in the final at Hampden Park. That would've been an amazing occasion.
Yep, would've been a dream one for Fergie. The second leg was a gripping watch, Forlan had still to score at that point and he hit a shot that Lucio I think somehow clear off the line.

Was glad in a way as you were singing that annoying "ohoho United are going to Glasgow" chant for about six months.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
A Netherlands, Feyenoord and United (?) supporter. You must be going bald from stress. :lol:
Hahaha, Feyenoord and Netherlands first though. United's just always been the foreign club I like most, if I have to chose it's no contest though, it will always be Feyenoord :)

Cal?

CR7 fan
2011 CL Semi final (Barca vs Madrid).

First time in years they had come up against each other in the Champions League, Messi and Ronaldo at the peak of their powers.

I expected to see a titanic tussle with Ronaldo raising his game to match Messi.

In the end Messi humiliated Ronaldo and Madrid, proving that at his peak CR7 just couldn't handle him.
Funny how different people remember the same game completely differently.

I recall the referee giving Pepe a red card for not touching Alves at 0-0 and turned the tie in Barca's favour. Uefalona and all that...

Minkaro

Does Sir Alex's last game count? As a game it was great, 5-5 and all that, but I'd much rather have seen him off with a victory.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Funny how different people remember the same game completely differently.

I recall the referee giving Pepe a red card for not touching Alves at 0-0 and turned the tie in Barca's favour. Uefalona and all that...
Perceptions can differ. Not everyone is a shining beacon of objectivity when watching football :)

Marty1968

Quite a few good ones already posted so won't repeat those. Quite a few WC finals have just been terrible to watch.
1990 West Germany v Argentina
1994 Brazil v Italy
2010 Holland v Spain
Even the 99 Champions League final wasn't a great game to watch (apart from the last few minutes of course)

The Munich 50th Anniversary game has to go down as a real low point for me though.