for anyone who watches reserves

MarliMan

can someone tell me who, in their honest opinion will make it for sure at the club, whose good enough for United

Balboa

None will make it maybe Fraizer Cambpell, he is a very good striker and would like to see him make it here.

Balboa

Brandy is too short to be a striker but has a decent pace so i m not writing him of yet but i have my doubts.

julesee

BalBoA said:
None will make it maybe Fraizer Cambpell, he is a very good striker and would like to see him make it here.
steady on mate...there's some good youngsters....evans obviously, martin, rossi, barnes, lee, campbell, gibson....all of these have a chance (there's probably more - those r just off the top of my head)

PS18

BalBoA said:
None will make it bar Fraizer? seems a daft thing to say considering how highly-rated Jonny Evans is, just for starters.

personally I think Evans is about as near a cert to make it as you'll get. Gibson's got a more than decent chance if he keeps injury free, and if Simpson keeps progressing he'll make a very strong case to be Neville's eventual replacement. i've still got really high hopes for Rossi as well. then there's probably Campbell/Kieran Lee as outside bets, and i think Pique will move to Spain permanently and do well there. i know Michael Barnes is touted by many but i'm yet to be convinced at all. going even younger, Cathcart's quality but he might find it hard to break through with Evans being only slightly older than him. i like the look of Hewson, certainly wouldn't write him off yet, and Brandy's another one with loads of promise. too early to really say about the first years.

apart from Evans, there's no-one i'd say will definitely 100% make it (fallen into that trap before :(), but equally there are lots who i'd definitely not dismiss as having no chance of doing so.

Epic

You can't really say for certain who will make it based on reserve football. Look at Dave Jones. He was a class above everyone else in the reserves, but not good enough to break into the first team squad. Sylvain Blake also looked like he's going to be the first striker in a long time who's going to break through, but then he got a nasty injury and he's now struggling in the Championship.

julesee

agree evans almost a cert......not sure about cathcart so far but its early days!

westlife4ever

Yes, Jonny Evans is almost a cert. Pique will know his fate this summer, hope he stays, but don't really expect that. I believe Simpson has an outside chance if he remains at United when Gary retires. IMO, Simpson is a better player than Bardsley. As for Cathcart, I'm not fully convinced.

Gibson has a good chance, and Hewson is getting better and better. Hopefully the David Jones story won't happen on these two lads. Don't forget Kieran Lee, such an intelligent and versatile player, but he needs to grow physically.

Campbell is now doing extremely well at Antwerp, just can't stop scoring goals. I think he has a chance to make it, but may face fierce competition with Rossi. It's always more difficult for young strikers to break through. Brandy is a handful for every defender, but his size is a big big problem.

savais

There's a reason I don't believe Pique will make it and that's his lack of pace. He is not a Vidic type, that is a hard-nosed defender who will scrape for anything, but more an elegant sweeper like Rio, so his lack of pace will go against him. This will be bad news because there will not be many foreign kids looking at United. They'll have seen both Pique and Rossi being loaned out for most of their United carrer (yes I know not very long), while Arsenal have fielded a lot of their foreign kids. I think if United win this season, they should bring on many kids into the first team next year. Nevermind if they don't win it next season, but long-term it will benefit us. We cannot keep calling our first team as a young team when its only Ronaldo and Rooney that fit that category.

horselesspaul

Man Utd fan
It's Manchester United, United or Man United.
jules031272 said:
steady on mate...there's some good youngsters....evans obviously, martin, rossi, barnes, lee, campbell, gibson....all of these have a chance (there's probably more - those r just off the top of my head)
Most of these don't play reserve football but are on loan which was why I did not comment on their prospects. Fwiw I think Rossi is a different class and is beginning to flourish at the highest level. The others are still in a lottery, especially Barnes who, like Martin, needs to produce a little more and look a little less like Chadwick.
Brandy and Rossi may be short for top level strikers but tell that to Maradona..

savais

Being short will not affect their chances of making it at the highest level. Rossi will definitely make it, Brandy we will have to see, but the signs are promising. What I fear, though, is that they may not have a future at United. We already have Rooney, who is on the shorter side, and Fergie is not keen on a striking partnership of two short players. He prefers a target man like Saha alongside (that's why he may be interested in Torres and not Villa, if he's interested in any at all).

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
"There's a reason I don't believe Pique will make it and that's his lack of pace. He is not a Vidic type, that is a hard-nosed defender who will scrape for anything, but more an elegant sweeper like Rio, so his lack of pace will go against him."

What about Hyypia? And how often do you see Rio in need of great pace?

savais

I've seen Rio use his pace in every match, to be honest. But in any case, your point about Hyppia, he has done very well, and Pique would work in the EPL but only alongside a pacy hard-nosed defender like Brown, for example. But you cannot play Rio and Pique together as neither really get stuck in. And you cannot play Vidic and Pique because both lack that extra bit of pace. You need one to have pace, and one to get stuck in. Or one that does both. What do you think?

M160RA

This is my take on things, although others probably will have a more qualified opinion.
I've listed the players who have/had a decent or outside chance of making it at United, and have given them a score based on that.

1985:
Dong Fangzhuo - 2/5 - He still has some way to go before he's ready for the first team. Right now he seems to be on the same level Bellion was, albeit probably a better finisher. I'm assuming he'll be sent out on loan next season, so that will be some valuable experience for him. It's always going to be difficult for Dong to have a long-term future for him.
Chris Eagles - 1/5 - I'm impressed by how well Eagles has done in a central midfield role for the reserves, although making the step up into a first team midfield is always going to be far more difficult. He seems to have the talent and the skill to make it at a good Premiership side, but so far his loan spells have been far from eyecatching. The clock is ticking for Eagles' United career, and I don't see him making the grade.
Phil Bardsley - 2/5 - Bardo did will when he was asked to deputise for Neville last season, but IMO he doesn't have the ability level required to make the position his own in the future. Brown is still fairly young, and at this stage in time he's probably a better option than Bardsley for the rightback berth. He'll probably be sold to a Championship or Premiership side this summer.

1987:
Giuseppe Rossi - 4/5 - Rossi IMO was a dead cert to make it last season, but after his unfortunate loan spell at Newcastle and failure to get first team chances at United, I think there may be a chance of him wanting to get first team football elsewhere. In terms of skill level, he's definitely up there amongst the best reserves we've had in recent years. My only concern is how well he adapts to the physical nature of Premiership football.
Gerard Pique - 4/5 I don't know if he will be able to handle the Premiership as a centreback because of his relative lack of pace and aggression. However, he's versatile enough to be employed as a rightback or a DM, and he definitely has excellent technical ability.
Fraizer Campbell - 2/5 -It's always going to be difficult as a striker to break into the United first team. However, if Campbell can secure a loan to a good Championship or Premiership side next season and impresses, he may have a chance of making it. He's quick, brave, strong for his size and scores plenty of goals - Les Kershaw likened his playing style to Mark Hughes, and coming from him that's praise indeed.
Danny Simpson - 2/5 - He's a quick attack-minded fullback who IMO has a decent enough chance to make it if he does well with Sunderland. His size is a bit of a problem, but if Evra can eventually bed in then Simpson should have no problem. Of course right now the number of defenders we have in the first team squad will be the main concern for him.
Flo N'galula - 1/5 - Injuries have really taken their toll on him, and he still has some ways to go before he's even at the level necessary for a United player. However, there's rumours of him going on loan ot Antwerp next seaosn, so if that materializes and he does well there, he may have an outside chance of making it. The advantage for him is that he plays in a position that United have very little cover for.
Darron Gibson - 3/5 - Fergie seems quite impressed by him, and Gibson seems like he has the tools to make it. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to be setting the Belgian second division alight, and it just shows that he is still a step or two away from breaking into the first team.
Lee Martin - 2/5 - He's been one of my favourites to make it for a couple of years now, but unfortunately the last 8 months haven't been the best for him. Had he done well at Rangers it might have been a huge boost for his first team chances here, but now he is even struggling at Stoke.

1988:
Jonny Evans - 4.5/5 - IMO he stands the best chance of making it. Several of our players do very well at reserves level but when it comes to making the step up to a higher level they don't seem to perform to the best of their ability. With Evans' he has been impressive playing for the reserves, at Antwerp, in preseason for the first team, with N.Ireland, and now with Sunderland. His biggest challenge now will be staking a claim for a spot at United ahead of United's second string defenders i.e. Brown and Silvestre.
Jamie Mullan - 1/5 - Mullan has been very impressive for the reserves this season, and I like the fact that he plays as a traditional winger hugging the touchline. However, he just doesn't strike me as someone who will eventually be able to make the step up to United's first team. He may very well go on to have a successful career with a Championship or even another Premiership side. Yet, he still has time on his side so I wouldn't write him off.
Kieran Lee - 2.5/5 - I think Kieran stands a good chance of making it. He's got a terrific attitude and is extremely versatile. I don't know if he will ever have the ability level to be a regular for United, but time is on his side and he seems like he could be a useful squad member in the distant future.