For your money, who are our best combination players?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
People that haven't seen Sancho play may be astonished by his dribbling, but if he gets the chance to relay the ball and receive it at his optimal rate, his combination play is as bedazzling as anything in the game today.

Sancho ushers in a new age of combination football at the club, if others are able to chain effectively and consistently without errors.

His combination play is so good, he wouldn't have looked out of place in Barcelona's tiki-taka era, and he is undoubtedly one of the best players in the world at chaining 1, 2 and 3-touch give and goes over and over again. There's a real irony in him not being part of City's gazillion passes 1st team.

Anyway, as the header says, who do you believe will be able to match thr bar Sancho sets and give and go to the point of utter frustration for the opposition?

I think outside of Sancho, Mata is the next best combination player we have. He might not have the legs or physical fitness anymore, but his pass-and-go has always been exceptional, albeit an area of his game he hasn't really gotten to exhibit to its full potential with rapid-fire, short passing chains. Another would be Martial, who has had some outstanding link-ups with Rashford in particular when they were both fit and firing. Shaw has never looked like he struggles once any kind of chain gets going, either, in fact, he really comes alive during quick exchanges.

There is a real pressure on the less able player(s) to not feck up the chain and cause it to break down. When these plays come off they look so simple and effective, but make no mistake, it's a highly pressurised environment that can cause some to wilt and others to thrive.

I've wondered if we'll see a collective levelling up from a team who haven't had a player who has this ability intrinsic to his game and what makes him so special or whether he'll have to pick and choose his moments or who attempts that intricate stuff with. What is your take on what's likely to happen?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Van De Beek, Martial Pogba

GazTheLegend

Rashford and Sancho should be a good combo. Cavani will be great with them. Sancho looks better than I realised.
Van De Beek, Martial Pogba
Pogba has never been great at linking up with people. How often do you see him play one-twos to get in behind teams? His strength is seeing runs and playing balls in to people either on the air or in the ground, it's a big criticism I have of Pogba that he rarely if ever uses players next to him to combine.

It's the opposite with van den Beek who I think could work very well with Sancho. We will soon see!

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Rashford and Sancho should be a good combo. Cavani will be great with them. Sancho looks better than I realised.

Pogba has never been great at linking up with people. How often do you see him play one-twos to get in behind teams? His strength is seeing runs and playing balls in to people either on the air or in the ground, it's a big criticism I have of Pogba that he rarely if ever uses players next to him to combine.

It's the opposite with van den Beek who I think could work very well with Sancho. We will soon see!
At United his link up with Martial and Ibra was very good. And he played one 2s with them often. Not when hes playing from deep obviously. He has good link up with most players of that wavelength

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Pogba, Martial and Shaw. Think they're amongst the best we have in tight spaces and combining with players around them. Greenwood is always improving in this regard too.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Surprised people are saying Rashford. He's a great player but wouldn't consider combination play one of his strengths. I would say Sancho, Shaw, Martial, Pogba and Mata.
Hasn't played too many games but Diallo seems to be very good at it as well.

Andersons Dietician

Sancho
Mata
Amad
Martial
Shaw
Donny
Fred

Those lot are probably the most adept at that style of play. Pogba used to have fantastic combos with Shaw and Martial out on the left but he has a tendency to hold on to the ball for me when there was maybe a quick exchange there.

Edit: should give a shout out to Matic. When the big man wants to turn it on he has moves and can do some nice things.

Last edited:

Crashoutcassius

Our combination play is already quite good so he will just lift us to another level. I think pogba, Bruno, Shaw, martial are all excellent at this, and rashford at times. Sancho coming inside from the right might well help martial discover some form this season, less as a finisher and more as a link man.

Forgot the beek - almost certainly a strength of his but we have rarely seen it

-Supreme-

VdB.

Personally it'd be interesting to see their combination play as both have the creativity and intelligence to alleviate our attacking transitions.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Surprised people are saying Rashford. He's a great player but wouldn't consider combination play one of his strengths. I would say Sancho, Shaw, Martial, Pogba and Mata.
Hasn't played too many games but Diallo seems to be very good at it as well.
It used to be good until he suddenly felt like he needs to try to dribble past 3 defenders and blast the ball wide from far out.

UpWithRivers

VDB, Mata, Shaw (not at same level as the others but for a left back is top notch) Amad and Sancho. These are only true combination players. Possibly Martial

Valencia Shin Crosses

Martial, Mata, VdB, Pogba, Shaw and probably in that order. Martial is absolutely brilliant in tight spaces both passing and receiving the ball, and I could have seen a world where he scored some outrageous number of goals in some of those older Barca teams that were built around that style of play. VdB is another that really operates on a higher wavelength in being able to anticipate spaces and movement in quick link up play.

This is not including Sancho of course who is probably top of the list.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Van de Beek is a great shout, but unless he’s taking a spot or game time from McFred, I can’t see when he’ll get the playing time to really grow in confidence enough to express himself without the fear of getting hooked if what he’s trying does come off.

I figure you don’t spend all this money, time and effort to buy a player like Sancho without a clear idea of how to get the best out of him, so training will be as much about who can hang, and thrive, in that style with that being a partial consideration in team selection come match day.

At the moment, I think people are going to say ‘Sancho is better from the left’ because when he’s on that side of the pitch, the potential for some sumptuous combination play is already there. Shaw’s rightfully getting plaudits as it is, but the elevation Sancho can bring to his game in the attacking third is like nothing we’ve seen during his time at the club. I’m sure Shaw already has an idea of what he’s working with via England, but at club level, with daily training, they’re going to develop a level of understanding that will be exhilarating to watch.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Mata, VDB and Bruno.

Rashford used to be decent at this until he's suddenly decided that he should be some kind of Ronaldo V2. Quite often it feels like he tries the harder things when things are not working out his way to convince himself that he's a top player.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Martial and Pogba seem to have a great connection and have combined well together for years.

Shaw and Rashford is another that seems to work well.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Shaw + one, easily. Hopefully it will be Sancho at some point in the season.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Shaw + one, easily. Hopefully it will be Sancho at some point in the season.
I will be fecking livid if we've just spent the best part of 100m on yet another right footer on the left.

Bondi77

I would imagine if Rash has his op then Sancho will be on the left with Shaw so if Sancho can take his Dortmund form to the Premier League we can expect fireworks down our left flank this season

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I will be fecking livid if we've just spent the best part of 100m on yet another right footer on the left.
Why? If he ends up out on the left it would be because he’s better than Rashford in that position. Being better than Rashford would make him arguably our best player. Plus, we’ve got two other wonder kids in Amad and Greenwood on the right.

Sancho can play both sides, anyway. Very well. I have little doubt he’ll start on the right. I just think he can play even better on the left, and I’d love to see Shaw and Sancho (in my opinion our two best players) linkup down one side.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Why? If he ends up out on the left it would be because he’s better than Rashford in that position. Being better than Rashford would make him arguably our best player. Plus, we’ve got two other wonder kids in Amad and Greenwood on the right.

Sancho can play both sides, anyway. Very well. I have little doubt he’ll start on the right. I just think he can play even better on the left, and I’d love to see Shaw and Sancho (in my opinion our two best players) linkup down one side.
Because we need someone for the right and have done for some time?

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Martial and Donny for me, their game I believe revolves around these likkle intricate passes.