Forget Names - Which 3 positions do we need to fill?

tintedsepia

No suggested names on this thread.

Would the CAF be able to concur on which 3 positions we'd be looking for improvements over the summer.

I don't just mean a striker, but what type of striker, or what type of midfielder etc.

I'll start off.

1.I think we need a 2nd striker to support Rooney for when we play 442 - in the mould of Cantona/Sheringham. Or someone who can play the playmaker role i.e. Someone who is strong creatively but also scores a fair few goals.

2. I think we need an electric left winger. Nani has been impressive and same with Valencia but they are better on the right. Obertan is also a right winger. We need a left winger who can get beyond the last line of defence and open them up on that side.

3. Goalkeeper. If Foster's leaving, then I have never ever trusted Kusczak in goal - EVER!!! We need someone who can play solidly in goal and take over from VDS.

Tx

lem8sh

1) Midfield playmaker who can control the pace of the game and chip in with a few goals ala Scholes who won't be around forever.

I think we're pretty ok apart from that department to be honest. If Foster were to leave a goalkeeper could be a priority but there's no guarantee he will leave and I think Hernandez might be are only purchase in the striker department. i think we're pretty well covered everywhere else

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Considering both Hargreaves and Anderson's back next season that might be more then enough. If Smalling's any good we dont need anyone there either. If VDS' fit then that's covered for another year with Kuz and Foster as backup. Might need some cover for Nani/Valencia. Berba out, maybe someone else in.

french88devil

A goalkeeper and a left footed winger (if Fergie doesn't trust Tosic).

We already have Berbatov, Rooney, Owen, Diouf, Macheda, Wellbeck and the mexican lad, i don't think we'll buy any forward.

Alex

World class attacking player

World class CM

World class GK (not that VdS isnt class, but this upcoming season will be his last)

mexos

Academy player
We need someone to replace whats-his-name now that he's retiring next year, although I think it will work out if that little brazilian kid gets fit and the curly Canadian gets back to full fitness. But we do need support for our wingers, the welsh guy can't play every game and we can't fully rely on the Portuguese kid, although the guy who seldom smiles has been doing great this season.

032Devil

GOALKEEPER
I think we should employ the same strategy that bought VdS to United: a world-class, experienced 'keeper that one of the super-rick clubs are looking to off-load for the latest celestial star on the horizon. At the very least the 'keeper should have atleast 10 years experience at the very top.

MIDFIELD:
There are 2 types: the tough tackling, driving force aka Roy Keane and the creative aka Paul Scholes. The former type might be easier to replace than the latter, simply because Scholes is a one-off; irreplaceable.

Also, a left-winger who could be as good as the right-wingers we have already.

STRIKER:
We need to get back to 4 top strikers eg Cole, Yorke, Sheringham & Solkjaer combo. Had we had atleast 3 top strikers then I believe we would have won the Premiership by now and might still be in the CL.

Devil may care

A striker who can play wide in a front 3 and up top alone if/when Rooney gets injured.

A midfielder with guile and creativity who can dribble.

VoetbalWizard

Goal scoring attacking midfielder: hamsik
Striker that can play in a 442 with rooney, 433 alone in the middle, or wide in a 433: pato, benzema
Young box to box mid: moussa sissoko

requirements: young and oozing in talent....the utd way

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
World class attacking player

World class CM

World class GK (not that VdS isnt class, but this upcoming season will be his last)
Seconded. We should get Buffon. Best chance to get him now after Serie A is over and he's younger than VDS was when we got him. Think VDS wouldn't mind training with him again although it could be weird being replaced by the same GK again:lol:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
In terms of priority for the upcoming season..

1)Midfield playmaker - Running the game, either in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3

2) Striker - Fast target man who is also a clinical finisher.

3) Left footed winger - to give us an option other than Nani and Valencia and is a better option against top opposition on the wing than any of the other back ups we have.

p_ps_sock

1.I think we need a 2nd striker to support Rooney for when we play 442 - in the mould of Cantona/Sheringham. Or someone who can play the playmaker role i.e. Someone who is strong creatively but also scores a fair few goals.
berbatov?

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
In order of priority:

1. Attack minded central midfielder, preferably able to dribble well and score some goals.

2. Natural left winger, with Nani and Valencia both operating better on the right i think a natural lefty would help.

3. Centre forward, needs to have a good work rate and the ability to score with head and both feet.

Red_Aaron

GK-agree with 032Devil,would rather an experienced head with 3-5 seasons of stability ilke VDS than an up and coming player who starts well then turns to shit like Howard did

Striker-Probably the hardest area as he'll need to be able to play with wayne, up on his own and at times just warm the bench. This is unfortunately a replacement for berbatov in my mind as we've plenty of youth and potential to take up the other strikers roles. We need a solid 2nd choice if you like

Midfield-I actually like our midfield as it is, the group of players ticks all the boxes except one. Goals. The past few season i've been convinced that Fletch,Carrick,Park and even Anderson had enough ability to crank up their goal stats but it seems thats not to be. Maybe Gibson can become this player, im sure he'll get opportunities next year to stake a claim for a regular spot but for me we should also bring someone in to compete with him.

and if we're being greedy i wouldn't say no to another winger

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
In order of priority:

1. Attacking midfielder/ attacking midfield controller.

2. A Striker who can play the lone forward role when Rooney is absent

3. A left footed, left winger.

4. A solid back up keeper if we lose Foster
I agree with all but with regard to the 4th, I reckon we need an experienced head whether or not Foster leaves. Goaltender is the one position that both us and Arse have proved that you need someone with the mettle to handle the heat

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
Midfield-I actually like our midfield as it is, the group of players ticks all the boxes except one. Goals. The past few season i've been convinced that Fletch,Carrick,Park and even Anderson had enough ability to crank up their goal stats but it seems thats not to be. Maybe Gibson can become this player, im sure he'll get opportunities next year to stake a claim for a regular spot but for me we should also bring someone in to compete with him.

and if we're being greedy i wouldn't say no to another winger
Bar Scholes all of our central midfielders are nothing more than water carriers

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I dont think we need anymore worldclass and new first XI signings.

We need Nani to step up a level or two on the left wing, ideally to the Ronaldo level. Valencia and Park is good on the right. We also have Obertan to step up. CM is ok, Scholesy and Giggs can rotate. Carrick and Fletcher/Hargreaves can rotate and even play together. We also have Anderson in midfield.

The back is ok. Evans can back Vidic and Rio up. Neville, rafael and Fabio can back Oshea and Evra up.

Keeper is OK. You dont want to buy a worldclass keeper and keep him on the bench for a year. Buy him at end of next season.

We have Rooney on top. Berbatov, Owen and Macheda are good backup. This is maybe the only position we might need strengthening. But if we are playing 4-5-1 still, there's no point buying another worldclass striker and put him on the bench. We already have Berbatov for that. And we had Tevez for this role and we all know how that turned out to be.

And there are also a few more names I deliberately miss here.a

Red_Aaron

Bar Scholes all of our central midfielders are nothing more than water carriers
don't completely agree with that though i will say that imo the way we set up with 451/433 largely calls for that type of player first and foremost anyways. Players who will maintain possesion, play high energy pressing when we dont have it and primarily protect the back four. Carrick and Anderson have an eye for the forward pass but unfortunately have had poor seasons, whereas the ever improving Fletcher has certainly got better in that respect. Our creativity comes from our front 3 and to a lesser extent the full backs, our tight midfield set up allows them all the freedom to get/stay forward.

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
He have energy, effort, and commitment. What i think we'd benefit more from is craft. Someone to fill the void that Scholes will eventually leave. And another striker definitely

As I've already posted, thre dream (and I think achievable) scenario is:-

Buffon - Silva - Villa - come on Fergie make us proud :D

Cold_Boy

Striker - Fabiano

Midfielder with creativity

Winger if available at right price.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Goalkeeper

Playmaking Midfielder

Poacher

ntripunovski

hmmmm.....

Back up left back and world class striker

I dont think that we need GK this year... We have Kuz and VDS so let Foster go if he wants

032Devil

Deep lying goalkeeper
Is there any other kind?

Playmaking right back
Won't happen. With Neville, OShea and Rafael, that position is sewed up

Defensive central winger
A 'central winger? That's a new one on me.

Above.

Ringo 07

Left winger/striker .....Luis Suarez type
Tough Striker who can play deep and up front alone who maybe has aerila presence who is good enough to cover for Rooney when Rooney gets injured....Possibly Vucininc of Roma, Dzeko too but he will be too expensive
Energetic Central midfielder to possibly replace Carrick........Milner springs to mind!

Goalkeeper too!!
Playmaker would be nice but with Gibson emerging maybe he will be given big responsibilities next season!

bbest

The Caf's worst songwriter
Priority is the midfield.

Inspire by another forum. What type of a midfield player are United looking for?

General - The Roy Keane type. THEY worry about US. Rawr!
Retainer: The player to control the flow of the game and not bottle it.
Maestro: goal-scoring and/or creative player - constant attacking impetus.
Ecletic: Liddle bid from first three options - not masterful at any.

EvilChuck

In order of priority:

1. Attacking midfielder/ attacking midfield controller.

2. A Striker who can play the lone forward role when Rooney is absent

3. A left footed, left winger.

4. A solid back up keeper if we lose Foster
I agree with the roles needed, but I'd swap the striker and midfielder in terms of importance. I think we create more than enough chances with the midfield and wide players we have now, we just need another striker to be as clinical as Rooney has been this season.

I still have hopes that Ando will turn into the attacking, creative midfielder that he has the potential to be