Forget the result, why are we so rubbish at football?

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Players aren't good enough. It's not that difficult.
Ralf told us about these players and we ignored him.
Obviously!
100%

We can't pass through teams because once our players receive it under pressure, they fail to shield it, and we have no one who can open a team up by dribbling past a player or two. It's a massive hindrance.
De Jong type of player.

It's not just on the ball. We have next to zero physicality and aggression in the team. The likes of Rashford, Sancho and Bruno barely challenge for anything, especially in the air. Then you have the likes of Dalot and McTominay who are Championship level players.

Nothing new, the squad simply isn't good enough and no manager will fix that without replacing them with quality.
Next to zero is maybe an overreaction but certainly not enough to compete against physically organized teams.

1) Body position of our players.
2) Passing to the wrong side of the body, behind them when advancing up the pitch.
3) Zone of the pitch players occupy, they don't vacate that area and when they do, they it's chaos.
4) Lack of technique when passing, just lazy, lacks zip, angle and spin is wrong.
5) Passing angles are too flat/horizontal and played to slow, instantly triggering the other teams press. Verticality of our passing is worst in the league.
6) We never move towards the ball when a pass comes into a player, we wait for it to arrive, allowing teams half a second to set.
7) Touch is really bad combined with the ball being received at the wrong angle.
8) We are always square on to players with the ball - you never should be at amateur level yet at pro level, here we are.
9) No off the ball movement. And when there is the lack of passing vision and technique means we don't make the pass.
100% spot on!

Players like Dalot, Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw, McTominay and Fred make the above errors on a regular basis. Watch us closely and it’s obvious why we’re so poor in advancing from our own half and keeping ball possession.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Basically, Brighton was well-prepared & drilled and we didn't adjust to Potter's changes in the middle of the game.

Last edited:

Mr. Ant

Even if we sign Frenkie and play Eriksen next to him we will concede chances playing that high line with Maguire in it.
I wonder if ETH will try a back 3 at some point.

The truth is our players are not comfortable on the ball, they hide from it and they can't play one touch possession football under pressure. Rashford doesn't have the skill to play in front of a packed defence either.

We need new players and we needed them yesterday I'm afraid. Hopefully ETH is not that stubborn to think he can make us play Ajax football with these players.

Gurtej

I am not a coach or a technical analyst but SM, Rashford, Maquire, Shaw should never ever play for this club again!!

Fred and Bruno needs to be benched until they improve awareness and mistakes!!

There was a point in game where we were around the opposition box and ball fell to Bruno and he tried to do trick work on two players….. got caught and were open for a counter attack…..

The guy had zero awareness of his teammates positioning and I am sure didn’t realise any danger….

I was shouting my heart out!!

BaneIsPain

2016/17– Fellaini, Herrera
2017/18– Matic, Pogba
2018/19– Pereira, Fred
2019/20– McTominay, Pogba
2020/21– McTominay, Pogba
2021/22– McTominay, Fred
2022/23– McTominay, Fred
time does fly. I still can't believe McTominay has played a vital role for four seasons straight. We've really inherited midfielder issues since SAF team but much worse.

Vapor trail

This has the potential to be the worst season in Uniteds history within the league. The club is now in a position where only spending is a viable option.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
This has the potential to be the worst season in Uniteds history within the league. The club is now in a position where only spending is a viable option.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Did you get all this from 90min of football? Hope you don't live in a tall building with windows.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
The reason we’re shit is due to a decade of poor planning, lack of football vision and dreadful player recruitment. We look more like relegation contenders than a team challenging for a place in the top 4. It’s going to take a while for ETH to bed in his ideas and he needs time to sign his players. I’m afraid we might get relegated in the meantime if ETH doesn’t get the right midfielder and striker, things are grim and that’s because of how far the club has fallen the past decade.

Lentwood

We have plenty of issues but all of them are relatively minor in comparison to the main issue, which is the McFred pairing.

Until we do something about this everything else is a waste of time and money

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
Because these are in our starting XI:

DDG
Shaw
Maguire
Dalot
Fred
Mctominay
Bruno
Rashford

all are shit
Huh? He practically kept us afloat on his own last season so this is pretty harsh? I mean you'd have to be pretty fecking special to keep goals out when the defence in front of you is useless. Think you're doing De Gea a big disservice here imo.

GazTheLegend

Our midfield has been a disaster for a while now. We were playing with Anderson and Cleverly at one point and the standard has only gotten worse since
Anderson was a great player. Could only play for 60 minutes because of his love of cake but he was ten times the player any of our current midfield are.

Kopral Jono

Because we have no one in midfield who can string a few passes together and disciplined enough to follow the manager's instructions. McTominay is a fecking disaster.

Jacob

We have no ball carriers in the team. Everyone is a passager with no initiative. The only initiative taken is Fred shooting from 50 yards and Bruno trying Hollywood passes.

RoyH1

This thread should have been locked after this comment. This is it.
Our recruitment has been haphazard and random. There's no red line in the club's recruitment and purchase of players. I don't know if our scouts and front office people are inept, or just some old boys that the board doesn't listen to.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Obviously!

De Jong type of player.

Next to zero is maybe an overreaction but certainly not enough to compete against physically organized teams.

100% spot on!

Players like Dalot, Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw, McTominay and Fred make the above errors on a regular basis. Watch us closely and it’s obvious why we’re so poor in advancing from our own half and keeping ball possession.
Scholars mentioned this in his IG story, players can't take the ball on the half turn.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Same performance from the same players, under Solskjaer, Ragnick and now Ten Hag
Its the same common denominator. These ****ing players.

And the trouble is, this club is either unwilling or incapable of clearing them out.
On the back of our worst ever Premier League season, we've brought in three players, and sold one..!
At this rate McFred will still be the only MF options this time next year and beyond.

BlueHaze

Same performance from the same players, under Solskjaer, Rangnick and now Ten Hag
Its the same common denominator. These ****ing players.

And the trouble is, this club is either unwilling or incapable of clearing them out.
On the back of our worst ever Premier League season, we've brought in three players, and sold one..!
At this rate McFred will still be the only MF options this time next year and beyond.
To be honest this summer compared to others we made quite a clear out. There are still players that need to go but they are now fewer. McFred, Rashy, Martial, Dalot, Shaw, Maguire. These are the only ones I want out right now. Thats not too many.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
To be honest this summer compared to others we made quite a clear out.
Six left on Free transfers. Personally, I wouldn't give the club credit for "clearing them out" in that circumstance.
On the plus side, I think that there are another 8 out of contract next year.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
1) we don't have any spine to the team - midfield is detached from attackers, what makes it difficult to play quick transition
2) Too many players out of nominal position - McTominay a CB playing in midfield; Fred a CM playing in deep midfield in a role he's not suited to at all; Rashford who is I don't know what exactly at the moment, stuck somewhere between striker and winger but not good in either position

Those issues could've been addressed this summer, but it feels like ETH wanted to see it himself first. Well, he's getting some questions already answered in first serious game where we looked poor, and that's after a good preseason. Who would've thought.

BlueHaze

Six left on Free transfers. Personally, I wouldn't give the club credit for clearing them out in that circumstance.
On the plus side, I think that there are another 8 out of contract next year.
Not giving them any credit just saying 12 months ago there were a lot more players that needed to go. Literally all we need now is a manager who can put his foot down and clear out all the ones remaining that are not good enough and a real rebuild can finally happen. Erik doesn't seem to be that guy though..

Mike Smalling

One thing that's really bugging me is our inability to find the right solution with crosses. We actually do create some opportunities to cross, but invariably it always leads to nothing because there is little thought behind it. It seems like it's mostly just a blind attempt to find someone around the penalty spot, who then has to compete with two CBs. I takes a small miracle to score from that.

Compare that to Liverpool, who create many of their goals from wide areas as well. They are really good at finding someone on the back post, using a clever cutback or a hard flat cross to create a big chance. It comes down to the movement of the forwards and the intelligence and skill of the crosser, but it really shouldn't be that difficult to improve on.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
No confidence
A lack of quality in all areas
General level of quality in the PL is very high now and exposes everything about us
Club seems to protect certain players that linger like a bad smell with their shite attitude (Rashford, Shaw, Martial, Ronaldo (for his wanting to leave), McTominay).

Stactix

I think upgrading the midfield with 2 solid dependable players would solve so many fecking issues. This season our midfield is arguably worse than last season due to losing Matic/Pogba. Eriksen I think will be a good signing but even if Dejong signs, it only takes 1 injury and we're back to McFred again.

Ideally need 2 Midfielders, strengthen the core significantly and it'll raise the entire team. Neves + Dejong would get things going, Neves would likely fit right in which gives Dejong time to adjust.

One of the glaring issues is the significant pressure that now faces any new signings due to how disfunctional this team is..
Compare that to City and it doesn't matter how Haaland and Grealish perform so much, their team is so strong with/without them. Where's United is utterly desperate for improvements all over.

BaillyBaillyBailly

Honestly think we are just done at this point. It all stems from ownership just being so incompetent.
- hire managers with no coherency from one to another which means squads need to be entirely overhauled every few years
- ignore gaping holes in our squad for years. Defensive mid has been a problem for 10 years. Cheap options have been available through that period which could have plugged a hole for a season (ie Palinha). Right wing etc. RB signing a player wildly unfit for the type of football we wanted to play.
- be completely incompetent in the transfer market. Chase players for months and end up panic buying last minute every summer. Fabregas -> Fellaini started the trend this summer will be De Jong -> Rabiot
- players are left in the team regardless of manager and regardless of performance. How McTominay plays ahead or Garner/VdB etc despite consistently playing awfully is incredible

I get this is maybe a bit knee jerky from yesterday but I see absolutely no sign that this is going to change any time soon and that things will improve to the point that we are able to compete.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Because these are in our starting XI:

DDG
Shaw
Maguire
Dalot
Fred
Mctominay
Bruno
Rashford

all are shit
Not just Ralf. Jose before Ole.
If you want to succeed at anything, you have to have the best person working to the best processes to deliver the best outcome.
United seem to not have understood any of the basics. But I am hopeful that ETH does.

Last edited:

PedroMendez

Acolyte
For a top club, GK, defense and midfield are appalling on the ball*. Additionally non of the attackers is able to secure long balls, because United doesn't have a traditional CF. The only player who wants to have the ball is Fred. Fred is a good player, but he is an all-action water-carrier and his ability to transition under pressure is limited. The opponents know that Fred is going to get the ball and will start their press. The opposition gets easy chances, while United is under intense pressure from the start. There is too little quality on the ball. The only sensible way United could play is a chaotic high intensity pressing game with quick transitions, but unfortunately the players lack fitness, mentality and the physical capabilities for that.

* the only exception is a fit and motivated Shaw, which happens roughly in 1 out of 2,5 seasons.

bdecuc

It's so frustrating watching us. Especially so the centrebacks, fullbacks and midfielders. They receive the ball and from up high as a viewer (I know it's very easy up here) you can see that there's a man unmarked or at least a passing lane to get the ball to a teammate up the pitch. BUT in the premier league that man will be only unmarked for about a second before the opposition will have got to him and covered it. Really good players are quick enough, confident enough, trusting enough (in the guy there passing to) to make the pass. Our guys consistently are not moving the ball quick enough. There is space on the pitch if your passing is quick and accurate and the opposition don't have that second to set themselves and cover the options. You'd be shouting at the screen all game: now, now, pass it now.... nope too late... where the next option... oh well they're all covered.... And so it's pass it sideways again and rinse and repeat. It was a hall mark of Fergies teams that mostly we could pass the ball quickly - receive and pass. They were top class footballers.

Woziak

For a top club, GK, defense and midfield are appalling on the ball*. Additionally non of the attackers is able to secure long balls, because United doesn't have a traditional CF. The only player who wants to have the ball is Fred. Fred is a good player, but he is an all-action water-carrier and his ability to transition under pressure is limited. The opponents know that Fred is going to get the ball and will start their press. The opposition gets easy chances, while United is under intense pressure from the start. There is too little quality on the ball. The only sensible way United could play is a chaotic high intensity pressing game with quick transitions, but unfortunately the players lack fitness, mentality and the physical capabilities for that.

* the only exception is a fit and motivated Shaw, which happens roughly in 1 out of 2,5 seasons.
I do agree with this theory however we do have young players in the squad who can handle the ball, like Garner, Savage, IQbal plus Varane, Lindelof, Maguire and Martinez are all ok on the ball despite their obvious deficiencies , Pace, strength, Physicality etc. It just seems that like Pep when he first came to city, ETH will have to get rid of key personal like D D Gea, McFred, Ronaldo, Maybe Maguire and this will take time.

I think with Martinez coming in and hopefully the club keep our Quickest CB , Baily, at least until winter we change in the short term to a 343 to stop the goals being conceded and use either Varane or Baily alongside Maguire or Lindelof and Martinez, three CBs will give us more stability and allow us to play a high line that will be critical to any success ETH will have, it means your two most attacking players need to be wing backs so Shaw and Dalot or Mallicia and E Laird need to really step up.(I’m not really convinced about any of them!)

I just feel if we continue to play 433 in the next 6 or 7 games with McFred, we’ll be lucky to pick up 10 points from our first 8 games and we may have conceded 20 to 25 PL goals already. The team is clearly struggling to create chances and take them, the outside footballing world is laughing at us and rightfully so, we just finished our worst PL season and now united have had their worst Transfer Window in the last decade or so!

The club right now, needs a siege mentality, the players need to be told that nothing but 110% will be tolerated in the next few games as we try and repair the transfer window and hopefully win a few games by the odd goal which right now will be the best we can hope for. I’ll take 12 points from out first 8 games which could be w4 D0 L4

TheRedHearted

Until the current fat cat wages contracts exist, this’ll be mostly it. They should be expiring soon, and none should be extended.

We can’t sell the current lot. And the size of a club we are, shouldn’t matter. Terminate contracts, eat wages. So what. Recruitment also has been our huge issue, and what the hell was done this window?

Honestly , Ten Hag could still find some to be useful,but they should mostly be our second 11. Just the wages are too high.
And these players for the most part were built by Mourinho and Ole.. counter attacking teams.
It upset me Ten Hag wouldn’t meet with him.
Lower table midfield.

Bruno tricked everyone. He's not that good.

No ball carriers, no dribbles, no player comfortable in uncomfortable areas, no defenders to start a decent attack, an overrated keep that has excellent reflexes in close but is bad at everything else.
A lot of the time they feel like half players.

Basically, Brighton was well-prepared & drilled and we didn't adjust to Potter's changes in the middle of the game.
Is Ten Hag used to low blocks at all in the Eurie divise?
time does fly. I still can't believe McTominay has played a vital role for four seasons straight. We've really inherited midfielder issues since SAF team but much worse.
They liked him for the counter attack. Also there’s the rumor Sir Alex pushes his involvement on the team

Zen86

Midfield is the most important part of any half-decent team. It’s there to provide defensive stability and a base for attack. Our midfield isn’t very good at either, hence why we’re a bit shit at football.

Plug the centre with better players and the rest of the team will look much, much better. Our back line looks amateur because they’re constantly exposed, the attack looks aimless because we exert no control on the game (we’re still relying on counters even now, its pretty much the only time our attack has any potency).