Fraizer Campbell articles

Chris H

Video Posting God
Ahead of today's Championship deciding games, some material about Fraizer Campbell. With a win today, Hull might earn automatic promotion to the Premiership, though they will more likely find themselves in the playoffs, where they may face Danny Simpson and Ipswitch.

Scouting report: Fraizer Campbell, Hull City
Steve Claridge
Tuesday April 29 2008

Unfortunately for everybody else, just as one baby-faced assassin departs in the shape of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Manchester United seem to have unearthed another. In Fraizer Campbell, currently on loan at Hull, they have a fresh-faced talent who has burst on to the Championship scene so well that the Tigers, who have never been in the top flight before, are going into the last match of the season still fighting for automatic promotion.

My first impression was that he was still raw. It struck me that he needed to have a picture in his mind when he received the ball, telling him exactly what to do with it, as once or twice he looked unsure, which meant that laying it off first time wasn't an option. However, as the game against Barnsley wore on, his first-touch play improved and it was his brilliant back-heel that set up Dean Windass for City's third.

He is blessed with real pace and in a tight match this proved to be decisive as he took a defender by surprise, touched the ball and drew the foul for a dead-cert penalty. Chasing lost causes such as this came naturally to him and, with Caleb Folan, his fellow centre-forward on the night for the first time in eight games, combined in a partnership, even in its infancy, of genuine potential.

Hull defend from the front and the front two chased and harried defenders all night. He took up intelligent positions when not involved in build-up play and even in a very crowded penalty area he had one or two decent efforts on goal from balls supplied from the flanks.

Comfortable coming short and holding the ball up, although I'd like to see him relax more on the ball, he also runs the channels very well. He was rarely caught offside and was very quick to face opponents up and put them on the back foot.

He could position himself better from defending clearances and I would like to see him bring players into the game quicker but these minor criticisms are really just nitpicking. As the game wore on he became virtually unplayable for his defender who, by the end of the match, was almost frightened to make a tackle, such was the uncertainty that Campbell had generated.

One moment summed up his threat: receiving the ball on the edge of the penalty box, he instantly turned to face two defenders and shimmied past one, then, at incredible pace, left the other standing. Maintaining his composure, he hit a shot on the run with his weaker foot that the keeper did well to parry. There was so much to admire about him - he worked so hard for his team-mates and got goalside of the ball at every opportunity. He also constantly worked a deep-lying Barnsley midfielder from the wrong side.

He has scored 15 times in 33 games for Hull and has already played in the Belgian top division for Royal Antwerp where he was nicknamed "Souper Campbell". With his attitude and ability, don't bet against more top-flight football coming his way.

Article and additional statistics here
Fraizer Set To Fire Hull Into Top Flight
3 May 2008

Fraizer Campbell may play his last game for Hull City tomorrow if his goals help City to a sensational final day promotion. Victory for Hull and defeat for Stoke City will see Phil Brown's side win an unlikely promotion having only just escaped the threat of relegation to League 1 at this time last season following a win at Cardiff City.

Campbell, who was brought in on loan by Phil Brown initially for a three month period has been the catalyst to propel City into promotion contenders. After a debut that saw him net twice against Barnsley, Campbell steadily found the back of the net alongside Dean Windass.

With the end of his loan spell looming, Phil Brown successfully negotiated an extension to the striker's loan deal that will see him stay until the end of the season. As a result, the former Royal Antwerp and current Man Utd striker has netted fifteen times to become the club's top scorer ahead of the veteran Windass.

Sir Alex Ferguson has spoken of his intention to keep the young striker although a substantial offer should pave the way for his exit from Old Trafford, although Hull's desire to sign the striker on a permanent basis will rely heavily on the club reaching the Premiership for the first time in heir 104 year history.

Campbell's biggest asset has been his blistering pace which no defence in the Championship seems to have handled effectively this season. With a cool head on his shoulders to add to his pace, his ability to finish and remain unfazed in pressure situations has made him a contender for this season's Player of the Year awards which will be held after the Ipswich game tomorrow.

Link here
Danny aims to delay pal's holiday plans
2 May 2008

HULL City striker Fraizer Campbell's holiday plans will have to be put on hold if Ipswich Town defender Danny Simpson has anything to with it.

The duo are long-standing good friends from their time growing up at Manchester United, and on loan at Royal Antwerp, but will find themselves as opponents on Sudden-Death Sunday. Town need to win to stand a chance of finishing in the top six, while City need all three points, and hope Stoke City lose at home to Leicester City, to go up automatically with West Brom.

Campbell, with 15 goals on loan from Manchester United to Hull, has been enjoying good banter with Simpson this week but both know it will get serious come 2pm Sunday. Simpson said: “We are very good friends. We speak to each virtually every other day and as you can imagine the texts have been flying between us.

“I've told him I'm going to go straight through him and he said I had to get near him first. It is all good banter and we are both looking forward to the game. He is staying down after. We are planning to go on holiday together for five or six days, but he is going to have to wait until June because I'm going to try and make sure they will be in the play-offs with us. Then he can wait for me to finish in the final before we go away.”

The duo were at Royal Antwerp together last year before Simpson returned to go on loan with Sunderland in the January and helped them win automatic promotion to the Premier League. He knows all about Campbell's strengths and weaknesses.

Simpson said: “We have got reports on all their players and will go through them. Fraizer is a big threat but I will be telling Alex, Jason and David all about him and how to stop him. They also have Dean Windass who can be a big handful.”

While looking to stop him this weekend both could be team-mates in Sir Alex Ferguson's side next season and Simpson is convinced Campbell, who has been called into the England under 21s for a second time, can make the breakthrough.

He said: “Fraizer is a very good player and scores plenty of goals. I'm sure if he had a regular run at Old Trafford he would do very well. But you know the players Manchester United have and for young players like ourselves it tends to be 20 minutes here or there and as a striker it is not always enough and they are judged on goals.”

Simpson has started every game for the Blues since making his debut as a sub at Scunthorpe following his loan switch from Old Trafford in March and believes if the team, and he, can play as they are capable of then they can take all three points and hope that Watford or Crystal Palace slip up along with Wolves and Sheffield United.

Simpson said: “I have well enjoyed it since I have been here. It is a big game on Sunday and I'm really hoping it is not the last one of the season here for me. We have played some really good football at times and if we play more of that on Sunday then I'm convinced we will get the three points.”

And that will mean the beach can wait for another few weeks.

Article here

PS18

watched most of the game today, Simpson did very well but Fraizer was starved of service really and was pretty quiet.

wasn't a result which helped either side in the end, Ipswich didn't make the playoffs and Hull missed out on automatic promotion. the experience of the playoffs should be good for Fraizer though.

Cold_Boy

15 goals now, quality player who gets booted up and down the pitch for 90 minutes, but never complains just smiles and gets on with the game. He has pace to burn and never stops running, always tracking back and is often seen defending in his own box. Pure quality a star of the future and should be be looked at by Capello as Englands new star. Too good for Man Utd because he is not a big head or an attention seeker, and doesnt chase refs looking for protection unlike some we could mention.

A qoute on a Hull board.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
15 goals now, quality player who gets booted up and down the pitch for 90 minutes, but never complains just smiles and gets on with the game. He has pace to burn and never stops running, always tracking back and is often seen defending in his own box. Pure quality a star of the future and should be be looked at by Capello as Englands new star. Too good for Man Utd because he is not a big head or an attention seeker, and doesnt chase refs looking for protection unlike some we could mention.

A qoute on a Hull board.
Sounds like a bitter twat (the fan not Campbell), judging United by one player.

Cold_Boy

Haha,yes.

Ignoring that part,he has really good things to say about Campbell as do almost all the other fans.

90% of them agreed,Campbell could well play for England soon.

Retirantmobs

Stokke Stalker - smells of fish
Hull fans hate everyone except there own. Set of twats the vast majority of them. If they get to the Premiership they are sure to get shot back down again.