France to offer free contraception to women under 25

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
When I read such things I always wonder if the fundamental cause will also be tackled? How can we decrease the costs for contraception?

Young French women will be offered free contraception from next year, the health minister has announced.

Olivier Véran said those under 25 would not be charged for medical appointments, tests, or other medical procedures related to birth control.

“This will cover hormonal contraception, biological tests that go with it, the prescription of contraception and all care related to this contraception up until the age of 25,” the minister said in an interview with France 2.

“There is a decline in the use of contraception among a certain number of young women and the main reason for this is financial. It costs too much. It is unacceptable that women cannot protect themselves, cannot have contraception if that’s their choice obviously, because they cannot afford it,” Véran added.

Asked why the government had chosen 25 as the cut-off age, Véran said it was because this corresponded to an age of more autonomy and because at 25 people were no longer covered by their parents’ complementary health insurance, called a mutuelle.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/09/france-free-contraception-women

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The world is utterly topsy-turvy. There's all these women who can't afford to have sex whilst I'm sat here literally counting my millions not having any.

It's just not right is what it is.

arnie_ni

Can't you get free rubbers from the GP here (UK)? And the pill is free on prescription as well.

In the UK at least, I'd imagine the outrage is directed towards having to pay for tampons etc which is a disgrace

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
"Contraception has been free in France for those aged between 15 and 18 since 2013 and for the under-15s since August 2020. This has led to a drop in the number of abortions."
So they're just extending the age range. It's not like this is all new.
“There is a decline in the use of contraception among a certain number of young women and the main reason for this is financial. It costs too much."

So, the reason given is that poorer women are not being protected.
I wonder if there's something more behind this as I can be a bit cynical as to the motives of governments that offer free stuff?

Last edited:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Can't you get free rubbers from the GP here (UK)? And the pill is free on prescription as well.

In the UK at least, I'd imagine the outrage is directed towards having to pay for tampons etc which is a disgrace
You used to be able to get them from a service called Connections. I don't know if it's still going (doubt) but some of the wise guys at my school thought it great fun to go there at lunch, get free condoms and then blow them up on the way home. Good times.

Agree about tampons. So stupid.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Men should get free lube, the benefits on the health system are quite obvious.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
"Contraception has been free in France for those aged between 15 and 18 since 2013 and for the under-15s since August 2020. This has led to a drop in the number of abortions."
So they're just extending the age range. It's not like this is all new.
“There is a decline in the use of contraception among a certain number of young women and the main reason for this is financial. It costs too much."

So, the reason given is that poorer women are not being protected.
I wonder if there's something more behind this as I can be a bit cynical as to the motives of governments that offer free stuff?
Just to add to this, currently 65% of the price is reimbursed for adults, while it's free for minors.