Frank Lampard | Former Chelsea manager

AshRK

Some managers get slaughtered for they teams conceding half as much as Lampard has this season. For some reason Lampard's poor defensive organization of his team doesn't get the harsh criticism and scrutiny it deserves. Everyone in the media is just content on blaming poor defenders and goalkeepers yet forget that somehow Sarri managed to get these same players defensively set up 10 times better than Lampard has them this season.

It's good to be a young British manager, instantly a media darling and free passes.
Lampard getting such media love. Imagine when gerrard becomes the manager. British media would go mental.

AshRK

Timo Werner, Hakim Ziyech and Christian Pulisic. I like Lampard as a manger. Christian Pulisic will become world class. He's building a seriously strong team.

He's building a team to fit the 4:3:3 system.

Timo Werner

Matches 34 goals 28
With this defense he won't be able to build a thing. He has to fix the defense first.

always_hoping

Chelsea have conceded 79 goals in all competitions in the 2019/20 season, their worst defensive campaign since the 1990/91.

7-1 I believe was their heaviest AGG defeat in European competition.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Some managers get slaughtered for their teams conceding half as much as Lampard has this season. For some reasons Lampard's poor defensive organization of his team doesn't get the harsh criticism and scrutiny it deserves. Everyone in the media is just content on blaming poor defenders and goalkeepers yet forget that somehow Sarri managed to get these same players defensively set up 10 times better than Lampard has them this season.

It's good to be a young British manager, instantly a media darling and free passes.

Can't wait for next season to get going so the media finally won't have that transfer ban excuse to forgive and turn a blind eye to all Lampard's shortcomings.
Roy Keane alluded to this a while back. Ole was getting destroyed (before we turned it around) but Frank was let off.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Both Ole and Lampard have done a very good job but one gets massive credit and the other gets very little credit for his work.
Because the other one isn't English and is managing the most hated club in England.

Gomes

Never seen any other manager protected by the media as Ole. You guys live in some alternative world.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Chelsea conceded 79 goals in all competitions this season. Lampard is an absolute imposter who gets protected by media chums. Barry Glendenning called it: Tim Sherwood with A Levels.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Can you not see why the sickly positive praise of Lampard grates? He’s done an amazingly average job.
I never really read Chelsea match reports (because I've watched the games) and switch off the post match stuff if we've lost so probably avoid a lot of it.

It feels like some on here get annoyed by The Sun or Sky Sports and the result is "feck Frank Lampard".

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I never really read Chelsea match reports (because I've watched the games) and switch off the post match stuff if we've lost so probably avoid a lot of it.

It feels like some on here get annoyed by The Sun or Sky Sports and the result is "feck Frank Lampard".
In fairness, if you consume so little media coverage, I would be interested to hear your unfiltered take on Lampard’s season. I look at someone who has basically delivered an on par campaign at best – but has been shortlisted as Manager of the Year. I don’t think most people minded Lampard until we had it rammed down our throats that he’s done such a brilliant job with his hands tied by a transfer ban. Irrespective, he has a deep talent pool to choose from and while the attack has clicked quite frequently, there looks like a complete lack of defensive structure. I think he gets an amazingly easy ride.

Amarsdd

I quite like Frank from his playing days and he deserves reasonable praise for his job this year but the unreasonable praise he gets is quite annoying. Recently, even ESPN has got onto the bandwagon (Sheffield utd 3-0 Chelsea: the players are at complete fault, you can't blame Frank, FA cup final: Chelsea lost because of the ref, and etc etc)

AshRK

Poor start to the next season and roman may lose his patience soon and sack him. He must fix this defense. Cannot always hide behind kepa and use him as an excuse. Big next season coming for him.

AshRK

I quite like Frank from his playing days and he deserves reasonable praise for his job this year but the unreasonable praise he gets is quite annoying. Recently, even ESPN has got onto the bandwagon (Sheffield utd 3-0 Chelsea: the players are at complete fault, you can't blame Frank, FA cup final: Chelsea lost because of the ref, and etc etc)
I wouldn't take any of the ESPN pundit seriously. They can't even pretend to hide their bias and hatred towards Man united.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
7-1 I believe was their heaviest AGG defeat in European competition.
Tbf, that's not so bad for a London team. We put 10 past each of Arsenal and Tottenham, after all. That makes Chelsea definitely the toughest of the bunch.

Amarsdd

I wouldn't take any of the ESPN pundit seriously. They can't even pretend to hide their bias and hatred towards Man united.
I understand. Just giving examples of the extreme. The English media is more subtle.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
In fairness, if you consume so little media coverage, I would be interested to hear your unfiltered take on Lampard’s season. I look at someone who has basically delivered an on par campaign at best – but has been shortlisted as Manager of the Year. I don’t think most people minded Lampard until we had it rammed down our throats that he’s done such a brilliant job with his hands tied by a transfer ban. Irrespective, he has a deep talent pool to choose from and while the attack has clicked quite frequently, there looks like a complete lack of defensive structure. I think he gets an amazingly easy ride.
7/10 or "B" from me. First season in the prem, second season as manager. All about context and expectations.

Yes our defence is all over the place. Plenty to work on and it'll be pretty easy to see if he improves it or not next season.

I don't really care about what the media says about him or nominations for bullshit awards and I'm damn sure Roman will not be slow to sack him if he thinks he is not up to the job.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Poor start to the next season and roman may lose his patience soon and sack him. He must fix this defense. Cannot always hide behind kepa and use him as an excuse. Big next season coming for him.
The keeper is a small part of the story. You can see clearly when watching Chelsea that they are a poorly organised team when it comes to the defensive side of the equation. Lampard needs to do huge work and I think he will throw money at it because nothing in his work at Chelsea or Derby suggests he can coax better out of what he already has.

alexthelion

Never seen any other manager protected by the media as Ole. You guys live in some alternative world.
Not on this planet he's not.

I would suggest a trip to Specsavers, you definately have something wrong with your eyes.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Virtually no one had us in the top 4 coming into the year. The goalposts were very obviously shifted over the course of the year following our good run in the fall - if you'd offered me a cup final and top 4 at the start of the year I'd have bitten your hand off saying yes.

I have questions over Lampard tactically and in some of his personnel evaluations, but I don't think it can be argued in good faith that he didn't exceed expectations from when he was appointed.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
7/10 or "B" from me. First season in the prem, second season as manager. All about context and expectations.

Yes our defence is all over the place. Plenty to work on and it'll be pretty easy to see if he improves it or not next season.

I don't really care about what the media says about him or nominations for bullshit awards and I'm damn sure Roman will not be slow to sack him if he thinks he is not up to the job.
It’s all well and good you not giving a shit about media coverage but it does rile some other fans which is why we see the reactions we do.

I think 7/10 is a very kind rating for your season and Lampard has done an incredible job at lowering expectations when you look at what Sarri did last year.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Virtually no one had us in the top 4 coming into the year. The goalposts were very obviously shifted over the course of the year following our good run in the fall - if you'd offered me a cup final and top 4 at the start of the year I'd have bitten your hand off saying yes.

I have questions over Lampard tactically and in some of his personnel evaluations, but I don't think it can be argued in good faith that he didn't exceed expectations from when he was appointed.
I think Lampard did an incredible job at lowering expectations to the point that he created a pressure free environment for the players to operate in. I don’t even mean that as a sleight on him. I think it was a genuinely good move that has reaped the rewards.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
We did. When we rested 3 or 4 of our starters v Chelsea who had a lot more rest than we had.
You would swear the sky was caving in
And that was our first defeat after something like 19 or so games. Yet Lampard's Chelsea can get trashing after trashing from teams Like Sheffield to Bayern and not much will be made of any of those embarrassment. His players will get all the backlash while he gets protected. He's the embodiment of privileged.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It’s all well and good you not giving a shit about media coverage but it does rile some other fans which is why we see the reactions we do.

I think 7/10 is a very kind rating for your season and Lampard has done an incredible job at lowering expectations when you look at what Sarri did last year.
Just on a related note, Eden Hazard was directly involved in 49% of our league goals last year (31/63).

Feed Me

I'm hungry
If the media are annoying you, get annoyed at the media!
I am! And the Caf is my outlet for that annoyance given that I don’t use any other social media, nor do I have a direct line into any media outlets.

It’s mad because in the cold light of day, I can see he’s done a decent job, but Manager of the Year shortlist? Give me a break! There’s people like Dyche and Nuno who can feel hard done by.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Is ESPN the one with Stevie nicol? If so then I totally agree.
I remember watching that section and that Nicol clown went on to say the Sheffield defeat wasn't on Lampard but the players then got called on his bias for calling Ole when the team doesn't turn in scintillating performances. Never seen someone so obviously bias and shameless about it.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Just on a related note, Eden Hazard was directly involved in 49% of our league goals last year (31/63).
This is not a remotely good argument given that your Hazard-less attack has functioned very very well. What reason for the shocking regression in your defensive stability?

Santoryo

ripping the reward
People keep blaming the players and talking about poor defenders and keeper yet Sarri had these same poor players defend 10 times better than what Lampard's Chelsea have shown this season.