Frazier Campbell interview

Chris H

Video Posting God
In the online newsletter put out by the club, Campbell talks about his year on loan, and his future at United.

90 seconds with... Frazier Campbell

Fraizer Campbell aims to help loan club Hull City pip Stoke to automatic promotion to the Premier League when they take on Ipswich Town on Sunday. We caught up with the 20-year-old Reds striker to talk about his spell at the KC Stadium...

Were there any other clubs interested in taking you on loan other than Hull?
Blackpool and Norwich City were interested, and another club who didn’t have a manager at the time – so that wasn’t very tempting. I just thought that Hull was the best option for me. I went to see the manager and some of the players at the training ground and I got a good impression. Sometimes you have a good feeling about something and you know it’s the right thing to do. When I went over there, the manager was really keen, the players were great with me, and you have to be somewhere where the manager is going to give you a chance. It’s important to get as many games as possible when you’re on loan. Coming here would give me that chance.

Your goals have helped take Hull to the brink of promotion. Are you happy with the way it’s gone?
I couldn’t have asked for much more really. To come on loan, play most weeks and score goals has been perfect for me. I’ve really enjoyed myself and we’re doing really well in the league now, too – better than anybody expected. It would be perfect if we could finish the season off properly with promotion. It would be nice to come straight up automatically, because then I can go on holiday earlier! Even promotion through the play-offs would be special, because it’s always nice to play at Wembley. Just to get up into the Premier League would be a massive achievement.

Is there a weight of expectation when you go out on loan, simply because you’ve come from United?
Yeah, everyone expects big things of you, but I do feel that you’re particularly being watched because you’re from United. The fans were really excited to see what I could do, but I’d like to think I’ve handled it fairly well.

Have the players and coaches at Hull helped you at all?
Definitely. I’ve formed a good partnership with Dean Windass, he’s a really experienced striker and a very big character, too, so you can’t help but learn from him. There are other big players such as Jay-Jay Okocha and Nick Barmby who have done the rounds, so there are a lot of players to learn from. That’s one of the reasons for coming out on loan – to pick up pointers. This experience has definitely influenced my career. Before I came here I was a total unknown. Nobody had ever heard of me, but now I think people are starting to take notice from me playing in the Championship. I’ve got to say thanks to the coaches at Hull, they’ve had faith in me by playing me every week.

Have you spoken to Sir Alex about what the future holds?

I haven’t spoken to the manager yet but I’m sure I will do sometime in the near future. I’ve read that he wants me back at United, and that’s always great to hear, so I’m just looking forward to reporting back for pre-season training at Carrington. I’d be daft not to want to have a go at playing for United’s first team. That’s exactly what I’ll try to do next season.

Presumably you’ll be keeping your fingers crossed the boss doesn’t sign any more strikers then?
(Laughs) Yeah! There’s a bit of a big queue, and it doesn’t need to get any longer, does it? I’m just enjoying myself for now, and we’ll see what happens come the end of the season, but I’ll be looking to kick on at United for the next campaign.

smallred

if Hull come up, i can see him staying there for another year, similar to fosters deal with watford. i have a feeling, depending on what happens in the summer transfer market, that welbeck may go out on loan for 3 months to a premiership club.

Drifter

American
Sounds like a man that's confident he will get his chance next season.

PS18

Campbell's the more natural goalscorer though, so i don't think it's entirely clear-cut who's got the better chance...

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Doesn't matter. One won't stand in the way of the other. If they're both good enough they'll both have a future here. But Campbell is the only one who has a chance of being part of what will hopefully be a striker quartet next season.

MUFCgal

Personally, I'd like to see Campbell brought back to us and given a shot in the first team squad. He's eager for it and he wants to impress and show what he can do.

smallred

2 assists for campbell today for Hull - 2-0 up v watford at HT.

crossed for nick barmby for the first and then hit the bar from a header which windass knocked in from the rebound.

Ekeke

2 assists for campbell today for Hull - 2-0 up v watford at HT.

crossed for nick barmby for the first and then hit the bar from a header which windass knocked in from the rebound.
He's not always been involved in the play, but when he has been - Hull have always looked like scoring.

Chris H

Video Posting God
Good to see. Would be great for Campbell if Hull get through the playoffs and into the Premiership.