Fred - £47m well spent

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyMUFC

There's no point getting rid of him yet because you're not gonna sign multiple midfielders in one transfer window and we need midfielders even with him.

He shouldn't be starting games every week but he's got a role to play in the squad. Wasn't worth the money at the time but that doesn't matter anymore.

FujiVice

That type of performance the other night was unacceptable. Couldnt kick his own arse. Its easy to hide among another bunch of shit players like last year, its another when the team is charging forward on the front foot and you look like you're being carried. Its times like this when you see proper players. And Fred isnt it.

Son

I can forgive that awful display because he’s generally been one of our better players in the down times.

Simply we haven’t had many world class footballers in the past 10 years.

Sir Alex would have liked Fred a lot. Nicky Butt played in his side so pretty sure Fred would too.

Stats are basically identical, goals, caps etc. Only difference is Butt played at a more dominant time for United under a better manager.

Last edited:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He’s been very good recently….Hard to understand where that shocking performance came from but his bottom level is rancid.

Kingofwinners

I can forgive that awful display because he’s generally been one of our better players in the down times.

Sir Alex would have liked Fred a lot. Nicky Butt played in his side so pretty sure Fred would too.

Stats are basically identical, goals, caps etc. Only difference is Butt played at a more dominant time for United under a better manager.
Did you ever see Nicky Butt play? He was incredibly reliable and gave away very few loose passes. Fred is nowhere close to his standard

RopersReturn

He’s been very good recently….Hard to understand where that shocking performance came from but his bottom level is rancid.
He has been good recently but when he isn’t he becomes a massive liability.
Those huge inconsistencies are fundamentally the reason we have to off load him this summer.

Kostov

Let's not go overboard. He's not worth 47m but he's had some amazing games in a United shirt including this season. MOTM v Spurs. Surely that doesn't happen if you're "out of your depth".
Amazing? :lol: Wtf are you talking about? Have you seen an amazing match from a Manchester United midfielder before or you are talking bollocks? I've seen Paul Scholes and Michael Carrick play for Manchester United in recent memory and I have seen amazing games from them. Fred having a good game in which he still had 78% pass success, a deflected shit shot that ended in goal is by no means AMAZING game. By overblowing his good games to amazing I don't think you are making him any favors.
A key part to getting us 3ed and 2ed in an era dominated by endless oil money. Well done Fred I say.
Hmm how are you calling out clubs with oil money when we go and spend 50m on this guy? And if he had "key part" in those grand successes such as 2nd and 3rd places he surely has big part of the blame in us looking miles of the clubs in front of us, since he is playing in one of the most crucial positions in the team?

wolvored

Hes been adequate seeing out a game when we are winning and he has WC players covering him. Hes never been any good starting a game and being the leading midfielder. Mcfred springs to mind and Sabitzer was playing his first full game.

Red_toad

People are shocked he played a role he's not good at and didn't perform? We genuinely have 1 player who's gets consideration to start as holding midfielder, I wonder if Ten Hag should be looking at giving some time to a younger player, rather than trying players who are just not suited to the role? It's a difficult 2 weeks for him until Casemiro returns.

SAF is the GOAT

I prefer to replace Scott before him

We already need a MF(even 2) with him in the team.

I'll first replace Scott and Donny and after a year or 2 will phase him out.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Thought he was trying to step up as the senior partner in midfield in midweek, with Sabitzer hardly seen.

However, it was getting almost comedy near the end how many chances he was missing.

Son

On
Did you ever see Nicky Butt play? He was incredibly reliable and gave away very few loose passes. Fred is nowhere close to his standard
Let’s put Nicky Butt in the United side of recent years in a stronger league and weaker team mates and see if he fares any better.

Surely Fred’s stats in a weaker United side backup the fact he’s at least just as good. Not to mention this current Brazil side is much better than England in the 90’s and he still gets more games on average than Butt did for England.

I think it’s rose tinted glasses with some players. Sir Alex really did get the absolute maximum from them and easily could with Fred too.

Olecurls99

Amazing? :lol: Wtf are you talking about? Have you seen an amazing match from a Manchester United midfielder before or you are talking bollocks? I've seen Paul Scholes and Michael Carrick play for Manchester United in recent memory and I have seen amazing games from them. Fred having a good game in which he still had 78% pass success, a deflected shit shot that ended in goal is by no means AMAZING game. By overblowing his good games to amazing I don't think you are making him any favors.

Hmm how are you calling out clubs with oil money when we go and spend 50m on this guy? And if he had "key part" in those grand successes such as 2nd and 3rd places he surely has big part of the blame in us looking miles of the clubs in front of us, since he is playing in one of the most crucial positions in the team?
Eh I would say if you're picked out as the man of the match then you've had a pretty good game

Your the clown calling him an absolute shit midfielder who's out of his depth. How can the man of the match in lots of games be out of his depth? How is that actually possible?

Kostov

Eh I would say if you're picked out as the man of the match then you've had a pretty good game

Your the clown calling him an absolute shit midfielder who's out of his depth. How can the man of the match in lots of games be out of his depth? How is that actually possible?
Some of you snowflakes would report another poster if they called you clown but here you.

You’re clearly very easy to impress if that is an amazing CM display despite winning the prestigious MOTM award. God forbid you watch a CM master class from someone like Scholes or Keane you’d probably faint.

On

Let’s put Nicky Butt in the United side of recent years in a stronger league and weaker team mates and see if he fares any better.

Surely Fred’s stats in a weaker United side backup the fact he’s at least just as good. Not to mention this current Brazil side is much better than England in the 90’s and he still gets more games on average than Butt did for England.

I think it’s rose tinted glasses with some players. Sir Alex really did get the absolute maximum from them and easily could with Fred too.
Fred isn’t fit to lace Butt’s boots never mind playing in an era of a United midfield containing Scholes and Roy Keane.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I still think Herrera was a vastly superior player. I like Fred and he has his used within the squad but I think he’s just too erratic to play for a top side. You can’t carry a player like that when you know his bottom level can be so poor. Herrera was equally capable of playing fantastically in the big games but his bottom level was so much better in part due to his superior technical ability. I think the prime version of Herrera we had would have been sensational under Ten Hag to be honest.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Herrera wasn't 'vastly' better, that is absurd. Fred's form this season has been generally good, but he needs a player like Casemiro alongside him.

Lost bear

Some of you snowflakes would report another poster if they called you clown but here you.

You’re clearly very easy to impress if that is an amazing CM display despite winning the prestigious MOTM award. God forbid you watch a CM master class from someone like Scholes or Keane you’d probably faint.

Fred isn’t fit to lace Butt’s boots never mind playing in an era of a United midfield containing Scholes and Roy Keane.
Do you realise that this is just your opinion? You speak as if you don’t, tbh.

Olecurls99

You didn't answer my question because it'd show you up. He's clearly not out of his depth and your criticism was ott.

Kostov

You didn't answer my question because it'd show you up. He's clearly not out of his depth and your criticism was ott.
What question? You went down from an amazing game to e pretty good game very fast.

So what is the question again? Was he amazing at CM with 78% pass success or he had a pretty good game? Which I said it myself that I also think he was good or was he amazing?

And yeah a footballer can have MOTM games and still be out of his depth. Lingard defender on here always got back to his goals here and to describe how he was a good squad player, despite being pretty obvious that he was an absolute average footballer.

Kostov

I still think Herrera was a vastly superior player. I like Fred and he has his used within the squad but I think he’s just too erratic to play for a top side. You can’t carry a player like that when you know his bottom level can be so poor. Herrera was equally capable of playing fantastically in the big games but his bottom level was so much better in part due to his superior technical ability. I think the prime version of Herrera we had would have been sensational under Ten Hag to be honest.
I’d take Herrera for Fred in a heartbeat and I was not that big of a fan of the Spaniard.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Not wanting to derail the thread but I watched Butt week in week out until we finally decided to cut our losses and sell him to Newcastle and he wasn't all that. There's not much between him and Fred.

lex talionis

Herrera > Fred without any doubt whatsoever. That said, Fred can turn in incredible performances, but also some ragingly poor performances as well. He’s a solid squad man for us and with respect to Herrera, what’s done is done.

Wing Attack Plan R

Fred isn't half the player Nicky Butt was. Why on earth would you compare the two?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Think people have gotten very carried away after what was undeniably a shocking performance, but if that was how he played most times then perhaps there would be a point. But it isn’t.

Lost bear

I don’t understand such complex contributions to the debate can you type something useful?
Ok. Your points are made very forcefully and presented as if no one else is entitled to an opinion unless it’s the same as yours. As demonstrated in your Nicky Butt thesis.

Olecurls99

What question? You went down from an amazing game to e pretty good game very fast.

So what is the question again? Was he amazing at CM with 78% pass success or he had a pretty good game? Which I said it myself that I also think he was good or was he amazing?

And yeah a footballer can have MOTM games and still be out of his depth. Lingard defender on here always got back to his goals here and to describe how he was a good squad player, despite being pretty obvious that he was an absolute average footballer.
I'm sorry, I can't get through this. It's gibberish

GL21

Butt>herrera>fred...for me fred has had some decent games but surely with the amount of games he has had that was bound to happen. I've genuinely never seen a lower class of player however play regularly for a top 6 team

AndOr Hererra

My issue with Fred is that there I can look into most midfields in the league and find at least one player that is an upgrade on him. He cost 47m and his outstanding quality is essentially being able to run around. I was at the Leeds game and at times he was literally out there like a headless chicken just chasing the ball. There are countless players out there we can get for a fraction of the proce we paid for him who can do all he does whilst being able to also complete the basic functions of a midfielder i.e PASSING.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
This and his performance thread is always flooded with comments with hates towards him after a bad game. Yet those jerks avoided these threads for many weeks when he was putting in MOTM performances one after another.

BTW I for one thing his last game was really shocking as well, probably his worst ever for us tbh:lol: think we were really surprised in general, how relentless Leeds in their new manager bump performance were. And Sabitzer being very off pace and not a no6 didn't help us but come on.

He's a great player playing a high octane game and for that reason I think he's quite surprisingly consistent - obviously if you take out an odd off game, and certainly if you try to be objective and compare other key players' form like Bruno who certainly has higher percentage of shocking games. Rashford hit a great form but only few games ago he was really bad as well (Could have been off the club already after the last two seasons based on Caf's opinion, surely). Casemiro having a game or two off as well, getting sent off etc. Eriksen being off pace for a long time reminding Matic a lot from his brief great spell at the beginning slowly fading.

If we don't allow players to have a bad game or spell and kick them out we don't have anyone to play with! Pathetic Redcafe posters and their kneejerk posts we have to read through sometimes. Let's get more realistic, please.

jesperjaap

Interesting to see people using players that were never really top first eleven starters for the club to use as an argument to justify Fred being good?

Herrera was a great personality at the club but really only had one decent season, Butt was a reliable and solid midfielder who could always do a good job, but he was limited and very much a quality squad player.

So why are we using those players as examples to justify a huge outlay on Fred? Also, personally Herrera was a much more reliable player than Fred and I was never mad on him and Butt was certainly more reliable and consistent and had better perfdormances when starting that Fed has....consdering he hardly started that says a lot.

I wouldnt even compare Fred with Anderson who was very promisign in his first eighteeen months before the fitness issues really hit. Fred is more compatable wih Djemba Djemba or Klerberson as he has been a flop.

How are people saying he has been one of our better players the last two or three years. Even in a side generally performing terrible he is still low down the peking order.

Fred is good battling in midfield or following a player....but positionally and intelligence wise he is lacking. He has played best further forward....but there is no end produt. His shooting is all over the place consistency wise, his retaining possesion against a press is awful, his consistency of pretty simple passes is awful and his creativiy or awareness isnt there.

He seems to havea good attitude and always works hard, that should be the minimum and that simply isnt enough to play for Manchester United. COnsidering the fee he is the worst signings we have made in terms of a player that has made a lot of apperances. I mean DOnny for example is obviously a flop, but he isnt playing. Fred is and has for several seasons.

Id happily be rid of McFred and VDB, make a big summer signing and give squad places to Hannibal and Mainoo....this "he is a useful squad member" seems to be bandied about for far too many players here the last few years who simply arent good enough, are on good wages and cost a lot of money

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
Saying Fred is better than Højbjerg really exhibits lack of basic understanding of football.

padzilla

Hipster
I think Fred's not as bad as many here make out but crucially that doesn't make him good enough in the long term either but he's a much better option than McTominay, for example, right now.

AndySmith1990

Not a great player by any means. Pretty mediocre actually. Should be on the transfer list along with several others in the summer.

meamth

Football is very different from the time when Nicky Butt dominating the league playing in midfield.

Fred is comfortably a modern CM, PL standard and is comfortably starting most of the side in the league.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Football is very different from the time when Nicky Butt dominating the league playing in midfield.

Fred is comfortably a modern CM, PL standard and is comfortably starting most of the side in the league.
I like Fred but butt was easily on a higher level than what Fred is on, I can't imagine Fred putting on a similar display of to what butt did in the 99 cl final for example.

Kostov

What kind of crap is this, what is a modern CM in your definition? Fred is comfortably a modern CM? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.