Fred | Fenerbahçe player

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Hopefully he will win lots of trophies at his new club.

Robbie Boy

Best of luck Fred. Had some really good games here but ultimately, he wasn't good enough.

GazTheLegend

Best of luck Fred. Had some really good games here but ultimately, he wasn't good enough.
Yep. Lets be honest here, although he did have the odd good game, when he first signed for us he looked like he'd won a competition to play for Man Utd for a game. And that sort of summed up the majority of his footballing career here. Strangely world class in certain matches, and scored one or two ridiculously good goals, which implies that there's a great player in there - well hidden, but there - but his weight of pass considering he is a midfielder was amateurish, he made our whole team look worse because his passing was just slow, predictable, and often put whoever he was passing to in trouble.

zaafi

Yep. Lets be honest here, although he did have the odd good game, when he first signed for us he looked like he'd won a competition to play for Man Utd for a game. And that sort of summed up the majority of his footballing career here. Strangely world class in certain matches, and scored one or two ridiculously good goals, which implies that there's a great player in there - well hidden, but there - but his weight of pass considering he is a midfielder was amateurish, he made our whole team look worse because his passing was just slow, predictable, and often put whoever he was passing to in trouble.
His 20/21 season was really good and we ended up 2nd that season. I really appreciated him that season as he was fantastic. Overall, I thought he was disappointing and a bit strange we never tried to replace either him or McTominay for so long. I was looking up a compilation of him last night, and he did have some absolute world class passes and assists in him, and some incredible ball manipulation moves, but it's a shame he just didn't show it more.

NYAS

Any news on why Fulham didn’t end up getting him? Can’t have been the price.

GMoore23

Good luck to Fred. Gave it his all for us every game.

10m euro upfront fee is a disgrace in this market though. He's easily worth 25m.
We should have just kept him.
A much better player than McTominay and VDB. Probably more useful than an aging Eriksen also.

Hughes35

Good luck to him. Right choice all around was to move on. Likeable enough though so all the best to him.

Chief123

Dare I say if, it felt like we missed him last night. I’m glad he’s gone but his energy was what we needed in that second half.

Marwood

Dare I say if, it felt like we missed him last night. I’m glad he’s gone but his energy was what we needed in that second half.
We needed players who can receive and pass a ball

i.e. not Fred

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We needed players who can receive and pass a ball

i.e. not Fred
Plenty of games last season where subbing off a visibly tired Eriksen for Fred turned the game in our favour. On Monday night we subbed on a visibly tired Eriksen and the game swung in Wolves favour.

Marwood

Plenty of games last season where subbing off a visibly tired Eriksen for Fred turned the game in our favour. On Monday night we subbed on a visibly tired Eriksen and the game swung in Wolves favour.
Not sure the game suddenly swung to Wolves because of Eriksen. They were better than us all game. Stands to reason they'd get more dominant towards the end of the game.

But getting legs on is only a reaction to the initial problem. That being a lack of control in the game.

Better to get it right from the off, have players on the pitch with a first touch and ability to look after the ball.

Which obviously isn't Fred. Slinging a Fred type player on means something was wrong in the first place.

JuriM

That's called squad building, he have Mainoo for that role now. And it's unfortunate he is injured, but he will be back soon enough to not let Fred sit out his last year of contract in case of getting 10 mins.

We should not have sold him. With McTominay staying and Maguire refusing to go we can't buy in and as a result we are very light in midfield, reliant on players nowhere near good enough (McTominay, Eriksen) or unproven (the kids).

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Had we kept Fred, people on here would have been moaning that he was taking Mainoos minutes :lol: :lol:

Gordon Godot

Had we kept Fred, people on here would have been moaning that he was taking Mainoos minutes :lol: :lol:
Fred was never good enough. Another awful signing and the fac that he has ended up in Turkey says it all.

Rossa

It was the right move to sell Fred. I always had a soft spot for him despite all of his erratic showings. However, keeping McTominay will bite us harder. He came on to win the ball and chase the opposition. He tried what looked like a run, only to be outpaced instantly. He lost just about every aerial duel he went into, and after a brief energetic first two minutes disappeared as he normally does.

SambaBoy

Such a strange player.

He was either one of our best players or the opponent's best player. It couldn't even be described as inconsistent really.

GMoore23

Must have fell out with ten Hag. Was dropped last season at a point when he was close to being our best performer.

Sold for absolute peanuts and we're left a weaker team because of it. No way do we get torn to shreds yesterday with him alongside Casemiro.

He may not have been world class but he was a damn decent squad option and never hid from a battle.
Energy and stamina in abundance which we lack so badly. We actually need more players like him.

Red Royal

How have we gone into this season letting him go for small change, and turning down £30M for McT.
His absence is going to be felt badly unless we get a new midfielder with his energy.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
I think he wanted first team football and he wasn't getting it with us. I liked him but we 100% overpaid.