Fred is one of the most underrated players in England

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think his play style is very similar to kante, but he doesn't have the same physicality and deicsion making as Kante. He's probably a better passer as well.

He's rightly got some stick for the howlers he can sometimes do, at vulnerable parts of the pitch. The man's got a superb mentality though, proper team player and determination in abundance.
His rate of turnovers is a massive issue and concern; being expansive and getting it right once in a while is not better than playing within your ability and keeping your side in possession; he cannot be a better passer than someone who does the latter.

He does some really good things, but his use of the ball - unforced errors in particular - need serious reining in.

MattofManchester

The problem with this club is that it continues to rep players who would find no place at any other top club, and that would include Fred.

He is a great option defensively, but constantly gives the ball away in dangerous positions and is rather easy to push off and bypass, but this club's mental sink into mediocrity means he's considered a decent option.

Dinghy

£50mill midfielder who can't pass for shit. The amount of money we've wasted on the fecking transfer market is just ridiculous.

RedIan

A £40mil player should be able to pass a ball to his own team mate.. this seems beyond Fred. Yes he works hard and wins the ball... then gives it straight back to the opposition.. he is a weak link.

he isn’t man united quality..

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
It's because he was terrible in his first 12 months. That's why we had a "Why did we buy Fred?" thread.
Has to be. He was so shit his first 12 months that now being average people have been tricked into thinking that is amazing. Playing beside one of the most limited midfielders in the league in McTominay probably helps him look better too.

Truth is he’s bang average and not even consistently average which is what you want from an average player.

It’s no surprise we are consistently overrun in midfield. It’s because you put a ball at Fred and McTominay’s feet (if you can actually manage to find McTominay) and they’re out of their depth. From City all the way down to Burnley, all of them have outplayed our midfield. They’ve survived on being bailed out by Rashford, Martial, and Bruno for long enough.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
His rate of turnovers is a massive issue and concern; being expansive and getting it right once in a while is not better than playing within your ability and keeping your side in possession; he cannot be a better passer than someone who does the latter.

He does some really good things, but his use of the ball - unforced errors in particular - need serious reining in.
I don’t think it’s really the rate of turnovers. He often times has a decent pass percentage. The issue is the specifics of the turnovers. He plays simple 10 yard passes directly to the opposition in our half 5 times a match. He also loves smashing a square ball into touch as well.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Has to be. He was so shit his first 12 months that now being average people have been tricked into thinking that is amazing. Playing beside one of the most limited midfielders in the league in McTominay probably helps him look better too.

Truth is he’s bang average and not even consistently average which is what you want from an average player.

It’s no surprise we are consistently overrun in midfield. It’s because you put a ball at Fred and McTominay’s feet (if you can actually manage to find McTominay) and they’re out of their depth. From City all the way down to Burnley, all of them have outplayed our midfield. They’ve survived on being bailed out by Rashford, Martial, and Bruno for long enough.
He has a good engine and great workrate, but his technical abilties are bang average and like Anderson barely ever scores a goal. He is what he is.

Untd55

We were far worse when he came off; he is the only player who actually knows how to press. He won the ball multiple times in the first half and was only player not allowing Arsenal to settle. When he went off, did you see how leisurely they were passing around our box with no pressure at all?

People say about his passing but also ignore the way the receivers just stand there waiting. People ignore this when it is such a massive issue; it is the reason we are so easy to press. It happened twice with Fred's passes: one to Fernandes where he just waited and an Arsenal player nipped in; another one was where Rashford just stood there (and I'm pretty sure he could see the Arsenal player coming). Why don't they ever approach the ball?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I don’t think it’s really the rate of turnovers. He often times has a decent pass percentage. The issue is the specifics of the turnovers. He plays simple 10 yard passes directly to the opposition in our half 5 times a match. He also loves smashing a square ball into touch as well.
I think whichever way you interpret it - and I agree with what you've said - he absolutely cannot be doing that with the frequency he does. It's such a certainty, you can play tactics around it i.e. sit off him, and have him try and be expansive and just lap up his erroneous action and off you go on a counter, usually with a number of players now massively out of position and plenty of space to run into.

We need his engine and persistence, but there's so much more to being a great harrying midfielder and he needs to work on those aspects.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Fred and McTominay.

2 assist between them in 114 PL games.

Neither is good enough to play DM or CM for United.

We need to sign a DM and put Bruno and VDB in front of him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Here we go, we have heard this again. One bad game and people forget the good things from multiple games already. I thought he was the better one than the other 3 of our midfielders today. He had yellow though so he was always gonna be off and was bit switched off in 2nd half.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I genuinely don't understand how anyone can look at Fred and think that he should be playing at the base of a midfield diamond? His best attribute by far is his ability to press, so putting him in a holding role just negates his strengths and forces him to be a reliable distributor of the ball, which he just isn't.

DSG

I genuinely don't understand how anyone can look at Fred and think that he should be playing at the base of a midfield diamond? His best attribute by far is his ability to press, so putting him in a holding role just negates his strengths and forces him to be a reliable distributor of the ball, which he just isn't.
100% agree.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
He’s not the main problem of course. But today highlighted how dodgey he can be. He can dally and then get caught out with a horrendous pass attempt.

just instruct him to play it short - but Ole can’t see that.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Fred is just the same as everyone else (bar James) from Ole on down. World class one week and dross the next. Welcome to the caf

acnumber9

He’s the most overrated player on this forum. Or perhaps between Martial and Bailly.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Here we go, we have heard this again. One bad game and people forget the good things from multiple games already. I thought he was the better one than the other 3 of our midfielders today. He had yellow though so he was always gonna be off and was bit switched off in 2nd half.
The passing issue is consistent even when we win and he has a storming game; it is not being brought up just because we lost.

Top midfielders, of any sort, do not give the ball away via unforced errors - it's a cardinal sin for a midfielder over any other type of player.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Great tackler but very erratic passing. He just needs to make it simple. Why is going for complicated pass after robbing the ball, I really don't know. Just pass it to the creative player and let him do the passing

Ekeke

Still just about better then his 3 pals in the diamond with him I’d say, but yes he wasn’t good today.
Fernandes was poor because the deeper players like Fred and the CBs couldnt find him in a good position. Fred was absolutely the worst in terms of losing the ball in dangerous areas, especially as he was playing the deepest role so once he's out of the play we're open. Pogba did lose the ball too but it tended to be in less dangerous areas up the pitch. He did give a penalty away though, we really dont want him defending in the box..

Bwuk

What United side that’s won the league would he get into?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Unusually bad from his today as these games are the ones he usually shines in. Maybe he needs some getting used to playing in a diamond, but both McTomminay and Pogba were far useless today and no one can play midfield on their own

Ekeke

A sub who came on, and played a good amount of his minutes when we were down 1-0, and Arsenal weren't engaging in high press, is not in that contention.
Hes one of the reasons we actually had more of the ball. Fred continued to be poor until he came off

DarkXaero

Hes one of the reasons we actually had more of the ball. Fred continued to be poor until he came off
I think the main reason we had more of the ball was because Arsenal sat back and defended the 1-0 lead, and in the 2nd half, their pressing wasn't the same anyway.

arnie_ni

The only person who thinks it apparently is ole.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
This.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
His shortcomings are highlighted because the others aren’t doing their jobs going forward. He’s in the side to hassle and disrupt with the other three being the creative ones. Is he a top drawer player? No. However, he’s doing his job better than some others around him.

el3mel

Are people really back to slaughter him just after one poor match ?

Still undroppable for me at the moment.

Bwuk

Are people really back to slaughter him just after one poor match ?

Still undroppable for me at the moment.
We are 15th in the league, with no clear formation or game plan. No-one is undroppable.

His shortcomings are highlighted because the others aren’t doing their jobs going forward. He’s in the side to hassle and disrupt with the other three being the creative ones. Is he a top drawer player? No. However, he’s doing his job better than some others around him.
He was terrible as a #6 today. Kept losing the ball, the side never looked comfortable with him. He wasn’t doing his job at all.

Fred is at his best as a box-to-box player, trying to win the ball high up the park and press sides. He can’t play aa

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The passing issue is consistent even when we win and he has a storming game; it is not being brought up just because we lost.

Top midfielders, of any sort, do not give the ball away via unforced errors - it's a cardinal sin for a midfielder over any other type of player.
No one call him top midfielders. He does his job to defend, provide energy/engine in midfield and cover lot of ground. His inconsistent passing hasn’t stop and prevent us to perform and winning matches. His strength has helped us a lot.

The ones who have stop and prevent us to perform and winning matches are our creative players.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
No one call him top midfielders. He does his job to defend, provide energy/engine in midfield and cover lot of ground. His inconsistent passing hasn’t stop and prevent us to perform and winning matches. His strength has helped us a lot.

The ones who have stop and prevent us to perform and winning matches are our creative players.
It’s a collective effort mate. You can’t say he’s been good and the others bad when most of his passes find the opposing players

Litch

Fred has had more MOTM performances than any of those players aside from DDG. The vultures will circle him waiting for a bad performance when it's not like everyone else including Ole was equally crap. Keep the same energy for for your fav players like Pogs, Mc, Bruno, Harry et al who have equally shit.