Fred vs McTominay

Lentwood

Slightly old article but it tells you what other teams and managers/analysts think of Fred....

https://talksport.com/football/777119/troy-deeney-watford-targeted-manchester-united-fred/

"Deeney told talkSPORT: “Whenever you play against Fred – we certainly did it – you let him get it.

“He has to take three or four touches. He doesn’t know how to do one or two touches.

“Anyone who watches his game will know when he gets it facing the wrong way, turns, turns, chops, chops.

“Three or four times a game he will give you the ball. Anyone who studies football will know that.

“You have that one person who is the trigger and you are waiting for it and bounce off him.”

This Watford we are talking about by the way.....not City or prime Barcelona....Watford highlighting one of our CMs is a poor footballer!!

Coincidentally, if you listen to Ben Foster, he says that the entire Watford team were actually very impressed with Scott McTominay and whenever they played him their CMs would say what a good player he was

Bwuk

Slightly old article but it tells you what other teams and managers/analysts think of Fred....

https://talksport.com/football/777119/troy-deeney-watford-targeted-manchester-united-fred/

"Deeney told talkSPORT: “Whenever you play against Fred – we certainly did it – you let him get it.

“He has to take three or four touches. He doesn’t know how to do one or two touches.

“Anyone who watches his game will know when he gets it facing the wrong way, turns, turns, chops, chops.

“Three or four times a game he will give you the ball. Anyone who studies football will know that.

“You have that one person who is the trigger and you are waiting for it and bounce off him.”

This Watford we are talking about by the way.....not City or prime Barcelona....Watford highlighting one of our CMs is a poor footballer!!

Coincidentally, if you listen to Ben Foster, he says that the entire Watford team were actually very impressed with Scott McTominay and whenever they played him their CMs would say what a good player he was
I've always thought that with Fred. Especially when he was playing as our deepest midfielder. Any time he shows for a GK press him as he'll lose it.

Fred is miles off the standard. Don't renew and let him go in the summer.

Lecland07

Don't think McTominay was good yesterday - people get blinded by a goal and ignore the rest. Still not good enough.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Don't think McTominay was good yesterday - people get blinded by a goal and ignore the rest. Still not good enough.
Ye I agree. Although when Eriksens playing he makes whoever is partner is look a lot better :lol: .

Zed 101

swings and roundabouts really, both give a lot of energy if not always quality, if I had to pick one it would be Mc T, better shooting, can play in defence if needs be, I think both are great squad/bench players who in some ways get unfairly criticised, they are what they are, as a pair they are not good enough to be the main stay of our midfield, however both have high value (IMO) as part of a squad.

USREDEVIL

McTominay brings more than Fred. Neither are great passers but McT has improved a bit. McT can be useful as a sub, mucking things up at the end like Fellani or something.

TheReligion

Abusive
McTominay brings more than Fred. Neither are great passers but McT has improved a bit. McT can be useful as a sub, mucking things up at the end like Fellani or something.
Last night Fred couldn’t even do the basics right i.e control the ball and weight a pass.

Mctominay was fine though in that sense.

RopersReturn

McT every time, he was on fire last night and seems to playing with real confidence again. Another thing I’ve noticed is that he always listens intently to ETHs instructions before coming on.

Foxbatt

I know that he was terrible recently but you don't get into the Brazilian WC squad if you are that bad.

USREDEVIL

I know that he was terrible recently but you don't get into the Brazilian WC squad if you are that bad.
i guess he's decent for brazil. he's played enough for united at this point so we know what we're going to get. Maybe he performs better for another team, see that all the time.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I’d have said Fred until this season. McTominay has shown a lot more since ten Hag’s arrival and Fred seems to be getting worse and worse.

The Dane

In my opinion McTominay is a keeper whereas Fred needs to go. There is nothing wrong with his attitude but his offensive qualities are just not good enough. He cannot pass and he cannot score, and even though the defensive qualities are first priority for his position, then you have to ask for more when you play for a club like United.

Robbie Boy

Old article but says a-lot. Think someone said something similar about AWB, too.

Trequarista10

Last couple season's Fred was generally better, but McTominay has improved this season. Given their ages makes sense for Fred to move on, with Scott remaining as cover in the short term at least.

AFC NimbleThumb

I remember posting this as a rebuttal when Fred was in one of his purple patches & a few posters were saying how it meant nothing as Deeney was ‘insert expletive here’ or Fred was ‘insert blind faith here’.

The fact we’re still seeing displays that prove these words true in 2022 is one of the saddest things about the club at the moment. Fred hasn’t been good enough for years.

Kostov

McT was always the less shit one, and aside from that just like last night even when he is not on his game he will contribute on both ends of the field.

Lentwood

I remember posting this as a rebuttal when Fred was in one of his purple patches & a few posters were saying how it meant nothing as Deeney was ‘insert expletive here’ or Fred was ‘insert blind faith here’.

The fact we’re still seeing displays that prove these words true in 2022 is one of the saddest things about the club at the moment. Fred hasn’t been good enough for years.
It doesn't matter whether Deeney is s**t or not really does it..or whether you respect his opinion on a player.

Fact is, he's telling us Watford's team of analysts identified Fred as a weakness and their gameplan was based around letting him have the ball. If that isn't completely and utterly damning I dont know what is

edcunited1878

For the development of the team, Fred will probably be allowed to leave because the 'profile' of his position - Eriksen/FdJ/much more cultured and probing central midfielder - is more specialized and requires a better footballer. McTominay's profile is to defend and bring physicality, cause chaos, which he was able to do in relation to the team early doors. But McTominay has easily been surpassed by Casemiro because he's clearly the superior player at all levels. Same has happened to Fred re Eriksen, but McTominay's physical size advantage over Fred and the fact that he's dirt cheap and from the academy allows him to have more value to the squad. Doesn't necessarily make him the better player compared to Fred, but in relation to the squad and what EtH is building, Fred will/should go.

Fred and McTominay have always had this weird comparison against each other by folks on here. Both are fine as squad players, but in order to really elevate the team, Fred has to be replaced because he's not good enough for what is needed in the midfield spot next to Casemiro.

Superden

watching him against villa, he still does that annoying thing of standing near opposition players, so isnt in a position to receive the ball. almost like hes scared of it.

colombianmancunian

McTominay has gotten a lot better under ETH, and actually contributes to the team. Fred on the other hand is woeful.

norm87cro

McTominay is bigger, stronger, has ok movement, to some degree even has a weaker leg in comparison to Fred who is married to his left. And top of all that. And this will sound controversoinal since its all PC now. Yes he is british and will probably love to play for this club in the next 15 years.
Its not like Freds Romario guys

Last edited:

Red Rash

The reality is both are ok and can do a job but neither is anywhere good enough to be first choice midfielder for a club like United. If they are happy to sit on the bench and play games when required for rotation they are worth keeping around

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
I like coming back to threads like this after reality checks about certain players. Remember earlier on here, everyone was talking about how much better Mctominay is than Fred. Now it seems the reverse is happening. Truth is, neither is that much better than each other. Momentum plays a huge part in how these players perform and Mctominay hasn't had a lot of playing momentum lately and rightly so, Casemiro has been our best player.
Also, I think ETH is trying to mould Mctominay into a role he's not natural at. He's an all action high effort box to box not a cerebral CDM/DLM. He should be sold to a 7-12th place team. He'll look a player reborn there, playing week in week out in his natural position.

Last edited:

Bondi77

I like coming back to threads like this after reality checks about certain players. Remember earlier on here, everyone was talking about how much better Mctominay is than Fred. Now it seems the reverse is happening. Truth is, neither is that much better than each other. Momentum plays a huge part in how these players perform and Mctominay hasn't had a lot of playing momentum lately and rightly so, Casemiro has been out player.
Also, I think ETH is trying to mould Mctominay into a role he's not natural at. He's an all action high effort box to box not a cerebral CDM/DLM. He should be sold to a 7-12th place team. He'll look a player reborn there, playing week in week out in his natural position.
If both of these were put up for sale I reckon there would be quite a few sides after Scott but there would be none in the Premier League after Fred.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
If both of these were put up for sale I reckon there would be quite a few sides after Scott but there would be none in the Premier League after Fred.
Maybe because he's British and younger but certainly not because he's a much better player.

Last edited:

Kostov

I like coming back to threads like this after reality checks about certain players. Remember earlier on here, everyone was talking about how much better Mctominay is than Fred. Now it seems the reverse is happening. Truth is, neither is that much better than each other. Momentum plays a huge part in how these players perform and Mctominay hasn't had a lot of playing momentum lately and rightly so, Casemiro has been our best player.
None of them is so much better than the other, but imo one is a bit more useful. Even last night everyone is blubbering about McT while Fred had an even worse cameo in which he was absolute shocking. Casemiro is the level we should be striving to have in midfield, McT and Fred are shockingly bad footballers that have no place in a club like Manchester United.

That pass Fred did in the 93rd minute when everyone was expecting the last attack completely sums them both. Dogshit.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
This place is infested with people who have long-running agendas against both players, whose opinions can’t be trusted. So let’s look at the stats:

https://fbref.com/en/players/b853e0ad/Fred

https://fbref.com/en/players/d93c2511/Scott-McTominay

Conclusion: Fred is obviously a level above McT.
It's quite clear now that anyone who stills says Scott is a good player and better than Fred is either 1) fecking blind, 2) a troll or 3) doesn't watch us play at all.

kthanksbye

Both of them have some sort of magic going on, when I see Scott play, I feel Fred is better, and vice versa.

JeffFromHK

It's quite clear now that anyone who stills says Scott is a good player and better than Fred is either 1) fecking blind, 2) a troll or 3) doesn't watch us play at all.
In our fanbase there is a group of "homegrown" loyalists who massively overrate our academy products for sentimental reasons. Not long ago our fans thought Angel Gomes was some sort of Golden Boy level generational talent while Portuguese league is his level, some of our fan also thought that James Garner is a concrete PL level midfielder at the beginning of this season

Von Mistelroum

It's pretty clear just by using your eyeballs that Fred is a much better player than Mctominay. Fred could be a decent squad player, McTominay could too, but not for a top 4 team.

Kostov

This place is infested with people who have long-running agendas against both players, whose opinions can’t be trusted. So let’s look at the stats:

https://fbref.com/en/players/b853e0ad/Fred

https://fbref.com/en/players/d93c2511/Scott-McTominay

Conclusion: Fred is obviously a level above McT.
You are talking about agendas :lol:

Stats show you feck all without context. One of them is usually played with Casemiro as a partner the other one is played as a replacement partnered with Eriksen like for example yesterday.